ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Pacers (830PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

joesha1698
Junior
And1: 108

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Pacers (830PMEST) 

Post#81 » by joesha1698 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:48 pm

I watched the Jason Kidd post game interview. I'm not happy with what he said. Spencer D was right about this soft culture that Cuban and Kidd are bringing. It's that mama boys culture. I'm all for positivity but we need some tough love and accountability. We also need a coach that demands ball movement, player movement, effort and accountability, once again.

If kyrie misses a defensive assignment, he needs to be held accountability. If luka is whining, he needs to held accountable. If he starts to play solo he needs to held accountability. If his head is down and the ball still is in play, hold him accountable. The effort and decision making of green, maxi, thj needs to be held accountable..that's why you have a bench full of young guys....you have to play the guys giving you effort and making the right plays. Stop with the massaging these guys emotions. Gafford should be starting over lively.

The ironic thing is, Kidd had a hard-on for practice and holding guys accountable with the Bucks but it got him fired and it looks like he took a 360 in approach.

We need a fair but no non sense coach that knows his stuff. It looks like we had that in Rick C but Cuban got rid of him, why again?

Side note: I think a mod on here IP banned me. I have to post on my phone. Just throwing it out there. Whoever banned me - could you send me a DM and explain to me why you hate free speech so much?
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 684

Post#82 » by BliscoSantos » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:55 pm

joesha1698 wrote:I watched the Jason Kidd post game interview. I'm not happy with what he said. Spencer D was right about this soft culture that Cuban and Kidd are bringing. It's that mama boys culture. I'm all for positivity but we need some tough love and accountability. We also need a coach that demands ball movement, player movement, effort and accountability, once again.

If kyrie misses a defensive assignment, he needs to be held accountability. If luka is whining, he needs to held accountable. If he starts to play solo he needs to held accountability. If his head is down and the ball still is in play, hold him accountable. The effort and decision making of green, maxi, thj needs to be held accountable..that's why you have a bench full of young guys....you have to play the guys giving you effort and making the right plays. Stop with the massaging these guys emotions. Gafford should be starting over lively.

The ironic thing is, Kidd had a hard-on for practice and holding guys accountable with the Bucks but it got him fired and it looks like he took a 360 in approach.

We need a fair but no non sense coach that knows his stuff. It looks like we had that in Rick C but Cuban got rid of him, why again?

Side note: I think a mod on here IP banned me. I have to post on my phone. Just throwing it out there. Whoever banned me - could you send me a DM and explain to me why you hate free speech so much?

Rick ran out of time with the team ....he was being an a-hole to rotation players in practice,he was demeaning to them and they didn't like him

Now they like Kidd but I think they're starting to understand they need a Mix of both...someone holding them accountable,bit not humiliate them, and someone who can also coach,which Kidd doesn't seem to want to do or simply can't
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,439

Post#83 » by Mavrelous » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:00 pm

joesha1698 wrote:Side note: I think a mod on here IP banned me. I have to post on my phone. Just throwing it out there. Whoever banned me - could you send me a DM and explain to me why you hate free speech so much?

Please DM us with questions, not in game threads, you haven't been banned, the problem is on your end, probably ISP related.
Try posting your problem in this forum, and site administrator can check
viewforum.php?f=40
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,989

Post#84 » by Archx » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:15 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:Everyone loves high pace Mavs are playing, but this high pace is part of their defensive problems. Running against Pacers and Philadelphia without Embiid isn't exactly smart.

You probably remember how everyone was crying Mavs have to pick up the tempo? Media, fans, even coaches... But weirdly enough they were always top5 in standings. Now, suddenly 2 years in a row they're almost out of playoffs with much higher pace and tempo. It's like no one can figure out Luka is basically the best half court player and his own pace was always what killed other teams. But hey, at least it looks good on the eye just gunning up and down for no reason, i don't see anyone complaining about Jokic needing to run more.

In their far the best season with Luka, 2021/22, they were dead last in pace, now they're 9th.

If you have problems in D, your first move should be lowering your pace. Especially, if you have 2 great half court and Iso players.

Yeah lol.. people wanted Mavs to run because of Green and Kyrie :lol: First thing Kidd said "we're going to run more" when Kyrie arrived and i was like... why?? Mavs had nr1 rated offense under Rick without having some kind of crazy tempo and ESPN and other talk shows complained how Mavs would benefit with running much more and Luka is holding the team back because he's slow.

Well... Pacers in just two games proved how Mavs simply aren't built to run instead they should rely on their own pace that Luka sets up and opposing coaches always hated that. They are literally afraid of his methodical playstyle and yet Kidd thinks it's best to push the tempo which will only tire out everyone for absolute no reason.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,044

Post#85 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:29 pm

Pathetic showing this last week + for this team. Why news hasnt broke yet that Kidd is fired is beyond anyone's comprehension. The Knicks used to be the NBA's laughing stock because of Dolan, but the guy has learned his lesson. Now Cuban is the joke and he's too damn stubborn to change.

Fire Kidd
Bench Green

Guarantee that would help things
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Post#86 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:33 pm

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
You probably remember how everyone was crying Mavs have to pick up the tempo? Media, fans, even coaches... But weirdly enough they were always top5 in standings. Now, suddenly 2 years in a row they're almost out of playoffs with much higher pace and tempo. It's like no one can figure out Luka is basically the best half court player and his own pace was always what killed other teams. But hey, at least it looks good on the eye just gunning up and down for no reason, i don't see anyone complaining about Jokic needing to run more.

In their far the best season with Luka, 2021/22, they were dead last in pace, now they're 9th.

If you have problems in D, your first move should be lowering your pace. Especially, if you have 2 great half court and Iso players.

Yeah lol.. people wanted Mavs to run because of Green and Kyrie :lol: First thing Kidd said "we're going to run more" when Kyrie arrived and i was like... why?? Mavs had nr1 rated offense under Rick without having some kind of crazy tempo and ESPN and other talk shows complained how Mavs would benefit with running much more and Luka is holding the team back because he's slow.

Well... Pacers in just two games proved how Mavs simply aren't built to run instead they should rely on their own pace that Luka sets up and opposing coaches always hated that. They are literally afraid of his methodical playstyle and yet Kidd thinks it's best to push the tempo which will only tire out everyone for absolute no reason.

Yes but it's wrong live and die with just one game style, we have to mix up depending on situations and lineups.

it seems that they have never trained together, that they have never watched a video of a match... but what do they do when they aren't playing? A 3-pointer contest from half court?

Kidd had to be fired last May after that disaster but an high pick cover his failure. This time there are no excuses.
I can't believe he will sit on our bench next game too.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#87 » by joesha1698 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:43 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Your guess is good as mines....something is going on in this locker room. This ain't a team that's playing for each other. Is it possible that these guys just kinda of play together but aside from that could careless about each other?

Cuban **** around and find it. This is classic with kyrie teams. :crazy:
Kyrie-19 flu infected Celtics-Nets-Mavs so far.

On a serious note, losing all team chemistry is on Cubs. Brunson-DFS-Dinwiddie with Luka was f'in great. Carlisle was definitely a better coach than Kidd. Hierarchy-wise Carlisle was on top of the team and we were performing good. Carlisle was unlucky with the wrong KP(injured) and Richardson investments and matching up with prime LA Clippers two years in a row.

How many games did you watch when Kyrie was on the nets? We're you a nets and Kyrie fan? If not, where are you getting this information from? Serious questions. The problem with narratives is they create scapegoats.

The problem with the Mavs imo - Is the coaching and no accountability. You also have guys making 11-17 each and you literally could get the same thing from veteran minimum guys with their level of effort on defense, decision making, offensive shot selection.

1. Coaching.
2. Mamas boy culture of no accountability.
3. Bunch of 11-17 million dollar guys that have suspect effort, decision making, and struggle consistently making shots.

After this year, ( if they don't turn this thing around) the Mavs need a new coach. Has to be tough. Know his stuff..and unabashed about calling out players and holding them accountable.They need to think long and hard about if they rather have ( maxi, thj, green, and I'll throw washington in that mix - even though he's playing better) or would they be better off going out and getting a big name PF or SF that can help them form a big 3. I would take my chances with a big 3 or big 4 if you keep Washington and surround the team with min vets because that's all the 11-17 guys are.

Last thing I'll say, Kyrie is a very efficient offensive player (who has done everything Dallas has asked) - and has adjusted his style of play to what works for Luka. He can be a little aloof on defensive and offensive ends at times but no player is perfect. As someone who has watched Kyrie with the Cavs, Celtics, and Nets - I speak from experience and not narrative. Kyrie responds to good leadership. He responds to accountability. Lebron was a great leader. In Boston they won 18 straight at one point with Kyrie as the leader and I've said time and time again - i give Brad Stephens ( alot of credit for his x and os) and having those teams prepared and putting a motivated Kyrie in positions to be successful on the offensive end. Compare that to how Dallas is using him. Stand around and watch luka or just play one on one in the half court that doesn't always benefit Kyrie at 6'2. Still Kyrie hasnt complained or stepped on Lukas toes.

Trying to scapegoat Kyrie because of some narrative about him is unfair and disingenuous at best. The best leadership he had was LeBron James and Brad Stephens.

The problem with the Nets was the nepotism of Sean Marks and Steve Nash mostly. Followed by injuries and Kyrie being a distraction at times. Marksb basically just hired his friend / rookie coach - despite Kevin Durant not being known as a strong leader and Nash not knowing what he's doing.

Then Sean Marks traded all their depth for James Harden ( also not known for leadership) and then to make matters worst - Sean Marks traded ( Harden when he didn't have to) for Ben Simmons who literally doesn't play and has a legit emotional and or mental limitations. I think the guy struggles from kind of anxiety disorder, personally. God bless him but as Gm of a NBA team aren't you suppose to do your research before you handicap your team?

Now the prior year ( this teams sweeps Boston) Harden gets hurt - and Kyrie and KD by themselves are up 2-0 on the bucks and then Kyrie gets hurt. Harden was also hurt. This team probably goes to finals if they didn't have injuries. This is called proper contextualization and not narrative based analysis aka lazy opinions.

The COVID thing was problematic but it was a personal decision. That's fair if someone wants to bring that up. But everything after that was some media driven none-sense and everyone got a pass because Kyrie was scapegoated. Kyrie came back after the suspension ( after his free speech was violated by religious zealots) and he lead that Nets team to like 12 wins in a row before the Nets and Kyrie agreed to depart.

Okay, was Kyrie COVID decision distracting to the team?
Yes, but they still were a couple of injuries of away from going to the finals with a rookie coach who didn't know what he was doing. So despite all of that, they were still up 2-0 with no James harden vs the bucks and it was thanks to Kyrie and KD. So the biggest knock on Kyrie was he was a distraction with the nets.

Has Kyrie been a distraction with the Mavs? Nope. And the reason Kyrie is so zen - doesn't say anything - is because he constantly gets thrown under the bus by fans and media alike and scapegoated the last couple of years. So, he shut up, let Luka and kidd lead - and once again, some people are still blaming 1 man? How is this objective?

So, once again, Kyrie responds to strong leadership. That doesn't exist in Dallas. Kyrie is a more capable defender than Brunson ( talent wise) but he gets a little aloof at times but once again, he responds well to coaching and accountability but Jason Kidd doesn't hold kyrie or luka accountable or no one else for that matter. So, if kyrie misses a defensive assignment or two - hold him accountable!!!

Last thing, you don't get to scapegoat Kyrie for all the Mavs problems. Its just lazy and it's no different than what some people are doing to Luka. As for kyrie's offense - it's goes back to how their using him. The one on one game is better for Luka in the half court because hes 6-7 and has a extreme size advantage. Kyrie is being asked to operate 1on1 in a small space where the defensive is congested and it reduces his quickness advantage. So once again, Kyrie ( without complaining) has adjusted to Luka's needs and inept offensive coaching by J. kidd. So it's not his fault this team has no ball movement scheme, depends way too much on 1on1, and doesn't hold guys accountable.

Despite all of that he's averaging...24-25 ppg on 47-48%, 38-40% from the 3, 5-6 rebs as a guard, 88% from the line. This is with him playing with an inept head coach and adjusting his game to a style that works for Luka more.

The Mavs just need a coach who can use him more creatively on offense and hold him accountable when hes aloof. That's about it.

Btw, all these guys blaming fans for saying we should push the pace - more scapegoating. Yes, we should. The only issue with pushing the pace is when you have guys who don't make good decisions and don't know when to pull it back...it creates problems...it doesn't mean we can't play at a different pace - it just means we have to get rid of some of the bad decision makers and or hold guys accountable who don't know how to intelligently push the pace. Lastly, fans don't make coaching decisions. If pushing the pace is wrong for this team ( which I don't think it is, I think we need a little of both) its up to the coaching to find the right balance. Blaming fans for their opinions is just another scapegoating tactic. It doesn't serve any purpose other than making excuses for the coaching staff.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,989

Post#88 » by Archx » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:59 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Pathetic showing this last week + for this team. Why news hasnt broke yet that Kidd is fired is beyond anyone's comprehension. The Knicks used to be the NBA's laughing stock because of Dolan, but the guy has learned his lesson. Now Cuban is the joke and he's too damn stubborn to change.

Fire Kidd
Bench Green

Guarantee that would help things

I think he hinted that he will change the starting lineup, which by my logic, would only mean DJJ instead of Green. But who knows with Kidd...

41Dirk41 wrote:Yes but it's wrong live and die with just one game style, we have to mix up depending on situations and lineups.

Yeah that is true but with Luka ON the floor you have to set the pace that matches his playmaking. You don't want to go outside the box just because it would be "cool" to do so. When Kyrie is alone, he can push or do whatever he thinks it's best, but Luka will kill teams when he simply picks them apart with his own tempo.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#89 » by joesha1698 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:09 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Side note: I think a mod on here IP banned me. I have to post on my phone. Just throwing it out there. Whoever banned me - could you send me a DM and explain to me why you hate free speech so much?

Please DM us with questions, not in game threads, you haven't been banned, the problem is on your end, probably ISP related.
Try posting your problem in this forum, and site administrator can check
viewforum.php?f=40

Lol, my fault. Thought I was being targeted.. :o
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,569

Post#90 » by Bob8 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:59 pm

joesha1698 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Btw, all these guys blaming fans for saying we should push the pace - more scapegoating. Yes, we should. The only issue with pushing the pace is when you have guys who don't make good decisions and don't know when to pull it back...it creates problems...it doesn't mean we can't play at a different pace - it just means we have to get rid of some of the bad decision makers and or hold guys accountable who don't know how to intelligently push the pace. Lastly, fans don't make coaching decisions. If pushing the pace is wrong for this team ( which I don't think it is, I think we need a little of both) its up to the coaching to find the right balance. Blaming fans for their opinions is just another scapegoating tactic. It doesn't serve any purpose other than making excuses for the coaching staff.

If your main problem is D, you for sure don't want to give your opponent multiple more possessions. If you're bad in transition D, you for sure don't want to play fast pace. If your best player is master in half court offense, you don't need to push fast pace. Nothing wrong with playing fast in some matchups, but necessarily playing fast pace look very strange. Pacers are second in pace, and Mavs believed playing fast is the answer? :lol:

Only Bucks and OKC are playing fast pace, all other top teams are in lower half regarding pace. Main contenders, Boston 19th and Denver 27th. Wizards playing with the fastest pace. And that shouldn't be a big surprise, because teams with the best players are normally very capable of playing half court offense.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#91 » by joesha1698 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:31 pm

Bob8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

If your main problem is D, you for sure don't want to give your opponent multiple more possessions. If you're bad in transition D, you for sure don't want to play fast pace. If your best player is master in half court offense, you don't need to push fast pace. Nothing wrong with playing fast in some matchups, but necessarily playing fast pace look very strange. Pacers are second in pace, and Mavs believed playing fast is the answer? :lol:

Only Bucks and OKC are playing fast pace, all other top teams are in lower half regarding pace. Main contenders, Boston 19th and Denver 27th. Wizards playing with the fastest pace. And that shouldn't be a big surprise, because teams with the best players are normally very capable of playing half court offense.

I agree, overall. The way we're playing defense we need to control the time of possessions and slow down the game and make the other team work on defense.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#92 » by tleikheen » Wed Mar 6, 2024 8:53 pm

I agree, overall. The way we're playing defense we need to control the time of possessions and slow down the game and make the other team work on defense.

The two teams favored to meet in the Finals are Boston and Denver. Denver has the devastating 2 man game in Joker/Murray with AG always moving in and out around the basket as the lob threat. MPJ and KCP moving around as the 3 pt threats. What Denver doesnt do is stand around in a catch and shoot 3 pt offense.
Boston has the unicorn (league leader in FG percentage on postups and fouls drawn on postups while shooting 38 percent (3s) and 2 guys who get baskets at 3 levels in Tatum/Brown.

Dallas doesnt move well or pass the ball as it is controlled by one man ,Luka. Luka is starting to remind me of James Harden . Scores the points and gets the assists but as we're seeing now ,not winning.
This team is not built for catch and shoot ,they need player movement and it should start with Luka & Gafford/Lively PNR. Kyrie and Exum should be moving around the perimeter as they are not traditional catch and shoot players . PJ working the baseline . They should be doing a version of the Denver offense.

I think Exum and Gaff need to be moved into the starting lineup . Exum as the POA defender and secondary ballhandler. Kyrie isnt initiating the offense very much so let him do what he does best, attack opposing defenses with his array of wizardry. His scoring is needed bigtime. Gaff and Luka CAN become on of the most feared PNR duo's in the league . Mavs need the hustle and energy that Gaff and Exum bring to the court.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#93 » by Bob8 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:20 pm

tleikheen wrote:

The two teams favored to meet in the Finals are Boston and Denver. Denver has the devastating 2 man game in Joker/Murray with AG always moving in and out around the basket as the lob threat. MPJ and KCP moving around as the 3 pt threats. What Denver doesnt do is stand around in a catch and shoot 3 pt offense.
Boston has the unicorn (league leader in FG percentage on postups and fouls drawn on postups while shooting 38 percent (3s) and 2 guys who get baskets at 3 levels in Tatum/Brown.

Dallas doesnt move well or pass the ball as it is controlled by one man ,Luka. Luka is starting to remind me of James Harden . Scores the points and gets the assists but as we're seeing now ,not winning.
This team is not built for catch and shoot ,they need player movement and it should start with Luka & Gafford/Lively PNR. Kyrie and Exum should be moving around the perimeter as they are not traditional catch and shoot players . PJ working the baseline . They should be doing a version of the Denver offense.

I think Exum and Gaff need to be moved into the starting lineup . Exum as the POA defender and secondary ballhandler. Kyrie isnt initiating the offense very much so let him do what he does best, attack opposing defenses with his array of wizardry. His scoring is needed bigtime. Gaff and Luka CAN become on of the most feared PNR duo's in the league . Mavs need the hustle and energy that Gaff and Exum bring to the court.

And how will all this help Mavs not being the worst defensive team in Nba after All Star break?
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#94 » by tleikheen » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:43 pm

Bob8 » 17 minutes ago

{tleikheen wrote:

I think Exum and Gaff need to be moved into the starting lineup . Exum as the POA defender and secondary ballhandler. Kyrie isnt initiating the offense very much so let him do what he does best, attack opposing defenses with his array of wizardry. His scoring is needed bigtime. Gaff and Luka CAN become on of the most feared PNR duo's in the league . Mavs need the hustle and energy that Gaff and Exum bring to the court.}

{And how will all this help Mavs not being the worst defensive team in Nba after All Star break?}

Whoooosh that went over your head ..... I listed Exum starting back int the lineup as the POA defender which when he was starting the Mavs WERE NOT the worst defensive team in the NBA .
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,962

Post#95 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:51 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:I watched the Jason Kidd post game interview. I'm not happy with what he said. Spencer D was right about this soft culture that Cuban and Kidd are bringing. It's that mama boys culture. I'm all for positivity but we need some tough love and accountability. We also need a coach that demands ball movement, player movement, effort and accountability, once again.

Rick ran out of time with the team ....he was being an a-hole to rotation players in practice,he was demeaning to them and they didn't like him

Now they like Kidd but I think they're starting to understand they need a Mix of both...someone holding them accountable,bit not humiliate them, and someone who can also coach,which Kidd doesn't seem to want to do or simply can't

I was completely ready to move on from Rick and glad he chose to move on because the Mavs weren't going to move on BUT, I would still take him over Kidd.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Post#96 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:04 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

I was completely ready to move on from Rick and glad he chose to move on because the Mavs weren't going to move on BUT, I would still take him over Kidd.

Sure.

Kidd was a bad pick from day 1, almost everyone here are not so happy when Cuban hired him.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#97 » by Bob8 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:56 am

tleikheen wrote:
Bob8 » 17 minutes ago

{tleikheen wrote:

I think Exum and Gaff need to be moved into the starting lineup . Exum as the POA defender and secondary ballhandler. Kyrie isnt initiating the offense very much so let him do what he does best, attack opposing defenses with his array of wizardry. His scoring is needed bigtime. Gaff and Luka CAN become on of the most feared PNR duo's in the league . Mavs need the hustle and energy that Gaff and Exum bring to the court.}

{And how will all this help Mavs not being the worst defensive team in Nba after All Star break?}

Whoooosh that went over your head ..... I listed Exum starting back int the lineup as the POA defender which when he was starting the Mavs WERE NOT the worst defensive team in the NBA .

People just talk too much about offensive side, it's very clear where problem is. Opponents averaged 129 points in last 6 games, every time 120+. I'm absolutely for starting Exum, but he alone can't change much in D. Mavs need to change the system and the easiest thing for the start is playing with slower pace.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,439

Post#98 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:07 am

Defense is enough of a reason to slow the pace, but they also needed to prepare for the PO, and in the PO, they'll play slow pace, and mix between a roll man and Maxi as 5 out option, I have no clue what they were trying to do against the Sixers, played into their hands with upping the pace, same with the Pacers, just another baffling move by Kidd.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks