ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Heat (Thursd. 730PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,985

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Heat (Thursd. 730PMEST) 

Post#41 » by Archx » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:15 am

joesha1698 wrote:
Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

You actually think that's a good thing? Read and react is how basketball is suppose to be played. If one guy is holding the ball for 12-14 seconds on a given possession - it makes it easier for the defense to guard him and their practically resting on defense. The way Luka is playing tonight is a lot better. He's playing quicker and making decisions and not holding the ball. This is why more guys are involved early in the game than probably all of the last 5.

I would also argue that ball movement on offense is just as important as our defense. It makes the defense work and when the ball is going on - it makes it easier to play defense when your not playing from behind. Plus, when more people are involved and cooking- its harder to stop us as a team.

Who are those "others" that cook when ball is moving? Kyrie, PJ? Those are standard two... who else? They're getting open shots, that's the easiest shot in the league, what more do you want?

I'm sorry but you're talking and explaining things like you started watching this team yesterday. You're again missing what's the biggest problem with this team. They're dead last in defense since the all star break but they have 8th best offense. So which side needs more work?

You saw PJ to Lively? There are other professional basketball players on this team. You gotta let them play. Now if we can play some defense.

Are you intentionally trolling me? You don't notice how much defenses collapses on Luka? You don't know that he is the most blitzed, doubled and tripled player in the league? Can you figure out what that means if defense focuses that much on one guy, Luka moves the ball when that happens, otherwise he creates off the dribble and either scores or creates an open look.
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 684

Post#42 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:17 am

Two missed dunks in a row :banghead:
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#43 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:21 am

I'm starting to become more inclined to give all of THJ's minutes to Hardy...Just brutal form by Timmy
Archx
RealGM

Post#44 » by Archx » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:22 am

Luka goes to the bench and offense dies... but yeah, let's pass around some more so that THJ can shoot those contested half court 3s.
joesha1698
Junior
And1: 108

Post#45 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:26 am

Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Who are those "others" that cook when ball is moving? Kyrie, PJ? Those are standard two... who else? They're getting open shots, that's the easiest shot in the league, what more do you want?

I'm sorry but you're talking and explaining things like you started watching this team yesterday. You're again missing what's the biggest problem with this team. They're dead last in defense since the all star break but they have 8th best offense. So which side needs more work?

You saw PJ to Lively? There are other professional basketball players on this team. You gotta let them play. Now if we can play some defense.

Are you intentionally trolling me? You don't notice how much defenses collapses on Luka? You don't know that he is the most blitzed, doubled and tripled player in the league? Can you figure out what that means if defense focuses that much on one guy, Luka moves the ball when that happens, otherwise he creates off the dribble and either scores or creates an open look.

Not trolling you. Just pointing out that one guy accounting for that much of your offense either means 1 or 2 things...He literally has no help or he dominates the ball a lot. I've seen this show before and it will lead to mediocre team results in the category that matters most - wins.

I also think it not good for the morale of his teammates because they become dependent on 1 player and it encourages them not to play hard on the other end. Basketball is contagious. When the ball is moving and people are involved....everyone plays better. Luka has help on this team. There's no reason for him to dominate the ball or shoot over 2 guys. The way Luka is playing tonight is how we should look everynight. There was only one bad shot from Luka this game. Everyone is involved. This is team basketball. This makes us more dangerous. When we need heroics than Luka can do what he does but we need our team to play together on both ends. That means the ball needs to move. We dont need the Luka and Kyrie show, thats a losing formula.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#46 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:27 am

Archx wrote:Luka goes to the bench and offense dies... but yeah, let's pass around some more so that THJ can shoot those contested half court 3s.

The offense is fine. We're not gonna win with one player. We have Kyrie and he's one of the most talented offensive players on the floor with Luka on the bench. We need to play as a team on both ends.
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#47 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:29 am

joesha1698 wrote:
Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

Not trolling you. Just pointing out that one guy accounting for that much of your offense either means 1 or 2 things...He literally has no help or he dominates the ball a lot. I've seen this show before and it will lead to mediocre team results in the category that matters most - wins.

I also think it not good for the morale of his teammates because they become dependent on 1 player and it encourages them not to play hard on the other end. Basketball is contagious. When the ball is moving and people are involved....everyone plays better. Luka has help on this team. There's no reason for him to dominate the ball or shoot over 2 guys. The way Luka is playing tonight is how we should look everynight. There was only one bad shot from Luka this game. Everyone is involved. This is team basketball. This makes us more dangerous. When we need heroics than Luka can do what he does but we need our team to play together on both ends. That means the ball needs to move. We dont need the Luka and Kyrie show, thats a losing formula.

But that's the coaches problem...when your coach says Luka is the system what else can you expect....he doesn't have any plays , he let's them wing it
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#48 » by Maverick41 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:29 am

THJ should be playing like Duncan Robinson is. Curl off screens, shoot open 3s, minimize the amount of dribbles. Instead he thinks he's Kobe and has the green light every single touch he gets. It's infuriating.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#49 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:34 am

THJ forcing some shots and making bad fouls. But he's alive on the offensive end. We're gonna have to live with a bit of that. (it doesnt look like Kidd will be playing Hardy for some reason)
Archx
RealGM

Post#50 » by Archx » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:35 am

joesha1698 wrote:
Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

Since i see you're new to Mavs, check who's coaching the team then talk about offensive concepts, etc...

And if you think Luka is playing good tonight, then i don't know what more to say. This is a pointless debate and you are wrong on so many points i lost on which i would even want to reply.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#51 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:37 am

Maxi can't move. Had an easy rebound. Get on the ground or get a young guy in there. I hate these touch calls bc we never get them.
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#52 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:38 am

Contemplating if I should even bothers to watch the second half cause I have a bad feeling there's a meltdown coming in the third Q :roll:
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#53 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:41 am

joesha1698 wrote:Luka has to realize that he has help on offense. There's no reason to come down the court and hold the ball as long as he does at times. I rather Luka play fast and take the step back or run a quick pick and roll or keep that ball moving. This isnt that old 22 team when you had very little help. This team is better when the ball is hoping on offense.

Luka tends to give out the ball only when there are obvious good chance to score. That is not the solutions.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#54 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:41 am

Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Since i see you're new to Mavs, check who's coaching the team then talk about offensive concepts, etc...

And if you think Luka is playing good tonight, then i don't know what more to say. This is a pointless debate and you are wrong on so many points i lost on which i would even want to reply.

Yes, Luka is getting his points in the flow of the game without dominating the ball. Luke has 10pts, kyrie has 11pts, thj 7pts, pj 7pts, gafford 6pts, exum 6pts - this means we'll have multiple people who probably finish the game in double digits scoring. That's a good thing and recipe for winning games. If we can get a couple of stops on defense and go from trash to garbage - we should win this game.
Archx
RealGM

Post#55 » by Archx » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:43 am

joesha1698 wrote:Yes, Luka is getting his points in the flow of the game without dominating the ball. Luke has 10pts, kyrie has 11pts, thj 7pts, pj 7pts, gafford 6pts, exum 6pts - this means we'll have multiple people who probably finish the game in double digits scoring. That's a good thing and recipe for winning games. If we can get a couple of stops on defense and go from trash to garbage - we should win this game.

They're playing like this every single game. They're not inveting hot water vs Heat.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#56 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:48 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Luka has to realize that he has help on offense. There's no reason to come down the court and hold the ball as long as he does at times. I rather Luka play fast and take the step back or run a quick pick and roll or keep that ball moving. This isnt that old 22 team when you had very little help. This team is better when the ball is hoping on offense.

Luka tends to give out the ball only when there are obvious good chance to score. That is not the solutions.

Yeah but he tends to pass later in the clock for the finish. I rather him give up the ball early and let others make decision. He doesnt need to initiate the offense every play. Its okay for him to finish plays. Multiple guys on this team need to feel like they can make decisions and create offense. Luka's numbers are great but accounting for that much offense (when he has help) means that we're not as dependent as his numbers will have you believe. Its the same thing for Kobe when he scored 35ppg...If that team would have played with more ball movement / player movement the whole year - they would have done a lot better. Kobe would have still avg around 28-30ppg but the team would have won 50 or more games.

Luka is going through the same maturation process (that kobe had to go through) and he's going to have to trust his teammates and not dominate the time of possession so much. Allow others to initiate/give it up faster/ make your decision faster so others can stay involve on offense.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#57 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:51 am

Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Yes, Luka is getting his points in the flow of the game without dominating the ball. Luke has 10pts, kyrie has 11pts, thj 7pts, pj 7pts, gafford 6pts, exum 6pts - this means we'll have multiple people who probably finish the game in double digits scoring. That's a good thing and recipe for winning games. If we can get a couple of stops on defense and go from trash to garbage - we should win this game.

They're playing like this every single game. They're not inveting hot water vs Heat.

We do not play like this every game. That's why we were losing. Guys were not moving the ball like this. This is the most ball movement Ive seen in a while. People are not holding. Their making quicker decisions and playing with each other. Last game vs the Pacers (that ball movement) was night and day compared to ours.
Archx
RealGM

Post#58 » by Archx » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:56 am

joesha1698 wrote:
Archx wrote:

We do not play like this every game. That's why we were losing. Guys were not moving the ball like this. This is the most ball movement Ive seen in a while. People are not holding. Their making quicker decisions and playing with each other. Last game vs the Pacers (that ball movement) was night and day compared to ours.

You think Mavs lost vs Pacers becaue of bad ball movement on offense? And you think Mavs are down vs Heat because of the same problem? Even though you saw 2 missed dunks from Exum and DJJ, that's 4 easy pts. Then you have things like 10 made 3's from Heat on 47% on the other side and you came to conclusion that Mavs ball movement on offense is the problem? Ok.

Enjoy the rest of the game.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#59 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:57 am

Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Archx wrote:

You think Mavs lost vs Pacers becaue of bad ball movement on offense? And you think Mavs are down vs Heat because of the same problem? Even though you saw 2 missed dunks from Exum and DJJ, that's 4 easy pts. Then you have things like 10 made 3's from Heat on 47% on the other side and you came to conclusion that Mavs ball movement on offense is the problem? Ok.

Enjoy the rest of the game.

You too. Only thing we agree on.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#60 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:59 am

3 point shots are not falling...too bad. Keep playing.

Return to Dallas Mavericks