ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Heat (Thursd. 730PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 848

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Heat (Thursd. 730PMEST) 

Post#21 » by kacey ring » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:40 am

What a terrible start defensively
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 708

Post#22 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:42 am

I mean is there any wonder this team starts the games so lifeless(without energy),when their coach looks scared/confused/lifeless on the sidelines
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 125

Post#23 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:44 am

First thing I notice so far this game - aside from the defense still needing work - Luka is playing within the game (within the flow) and not so much taking it all himself. Let's see if this continues.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,110

Post#24 » by Archx » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:45 am

Lively is basically Mavs best defender but Kidd thinks Gaff starting will fix the issues? Ok then...

joesha1698 wrote:Luka is playing within the game (within the flow) and not so much taking it all himself. Let's see if this continues.

Yeah and they scored 5 pts total so far. Really good job :lol:
joesha1698
Senior

Post#25 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:46 am

Archx wrote:Lively is basically Mavs best defender but Kidd thinks Gaff starting will fix the issues? Ok then...

Lively has been pretty bad about switching and has been non-existence at the basket. He's 19 and Gafford is the better player right now.
joesha1698
Senior

Post#26 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:48 am

Archx wrote:Lively is basically Mavs best defender but Kidd thinks Gaff starting will fix the issues? Ok then...

joesha1698 wrote:Luka is playing within the game (within the flow) and not so much taking it all himself. Let's see if this continues.

You dont get it. One guy dribbling until the ball reaches 18 seonds is not formula for other guys being in rhythm. This is partly why we have been on a losing streak. Good teams need ball and player movement.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:49 am

The O looks bad and the D looks like something out of a horror movie

This team really needs a coach...someone who's gonna draw up some plays, make them move off ball,set some screens, cuts...someone who's good at X and O's
joesha1698
Senior

Post#28 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:50 am

BliscoSantos wrote:The O looks bad and the D looks like something out od a horror movie

This team really needs a coach...someone who's gonna draw up some plays, make them nove off ball,set some screens,čuta...someone who's good at X and O's

The offense looks fine. This is the most ball movement and multiple guys being involve in the last 5 games. If we play this - we're way better. This is how the ball should move. Missing shots doesnt mean we're not getting good ball movement and looks.
joesha1698
Senior

Post#29 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:53 am

Luka has to realize that he has help on offense. There's no reason to come down the court and hold the ball as long as he does at times. I rather Luka play fast and take the step back or run a quick pick and roll or keep that ball moving. This isnt that old 22 team when you had very little help. This team is better when the ball is hoping on offense.
Archx
RealGM

Post#30 » by Archx » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:54 am

joesha1698 wrote:

You dont get it. One guy dribbling until the ball reaches 18 seonds is not formula for other guys being in rhythm. This is partly why we have been on a losing streak. Good teams need ball and player movement.

And you don't get it that Luka produces the most team points on a season in NBA history this year. Why the hell do you want to watch THJ dribble and create if he can't do anything right? And i hope you realize Mavs offense is not an issue, it's defense? Or you didn't notice that?
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:56 am

joesha1698 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:The O looks bad and the D looks like something out od a horror movie

This team really needs a coach...someone who's gonna draw up some plays, make them nove off ball,set some screens,čuta...someone who's good at X and O's

The offense looks fine. This is the most ball movement and multiple guys being involve in the last 5 games. If we play this - we're way better. This is how the ball should move. Missing shots doesnt mean we're not getting good ball movement and looks.

The ball is moving but they aren't doing anything with the movement other than getting the 3 Point shots...you need to get better,more Quality opportunities with movement......you need some off ball screens,cuts to the basket ,Players getting open on midrange from screens...you know,some diversity...the O looks better now cause Luka hit some shots
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:58 am

Mavs have to be the worst team defending the 3 Point line??

Anybody know the stat
joesha1698
Senior

Post#33 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:59 am

Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

And you don't get it that Luka produces the most team points on a season in NBA history this year. Why the hell do you want to watch THJ dribble and create if he can't do anything right? And i hope you realize Mavs offense is not an issue, it's defense? Or you didn't notice that?

You actually think that's a good thing? Read and react is how basketball is suppose to be played. If one guy is holding the ball for 12-14 seconds on a given possession - it makes it easier for the defense to guard him and their practically resting on defense. The way Luka is playing tonight is a lot better. He's playing quicker and making decisions and not holding the ball. This is why more guys are involved early in the game than probably all of the last 5.

I would also argue that ball movement on offense is just as important as our defense. It makes the defense work and when the ball is going on - it makes it easier to play defense when your not playing from behind. Plus, when more people are involved and cooking- its harder to stop us as a team.
joesha1698
Senior

Post#34 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:04 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

The ball is moving but they aren't doing anything with the movement other than getting the 3 Point shots...you need to get better,more Quality opportunities with movement......you need some off ball screens,cuts to the basket ,Players getting open on midrange from screens...you know,some diversity...the O looks better now cause Luka hit some shots

Hey, im just happy there's some ball movement and multiple people are getting shots early in the game. We actually look like a team. Trust me, I grew up watching the Lakers and every game was like mostly Kobe and then we played the Suns in the playoffs (steve nash 2005) and our team transformed into an actual team. I never seen anything like it. Thats how this team looks with Luka at times. He comes out and dominates possessions to start the game and this turns his teammates into spectators. This Dallas team has more talent than Kobe had in 2005 and Luka shouldnt revert back to that style because its partly why were losing. It's not just the defense.

We need to play basketball and not Luka ball. I have been preaching this the whole year.
Archx
RealGM

Post#35 » by Archx » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:07 am

joesha1698 wrote:
Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

You actually think that's a good thing? Read and react is how basketball is suppose to be played. If one guy is holding the ball for 12-14 seconds on a given possession - it makes it easier for the defense to guard him and their practically resting on defense. The way Luka is playing tonight is a lot better. He's playing quicker and making decisions and not holding the ball. This is why more guys are involved early in the game than probably all of the last 5.

I would also argue that ball movement on offense is just as important as our defense. It makes the defense work and when the ball is going on - it makes it easier to play defense when your not playing from behind. Plus, when more people are involved and cooking- its harder to stop us as a team.

Who are those "others" that cook when ball is moving? Kyrie, PJ? Those are standard two... who else? They're getting open shots, that's the easiest shot in the league, what more do you want?

I'm sorry but you're talking and explaining things like you started watching this team yesterday. You're again missing what's the biggest problem with this team. They're dead last in defense since the all star break but they have 8th best offense. So which side needs more work?
joesha1698
Senior

Post#36 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:08 am

Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Who are those "others" that cook when ball is moving? Kyrie, PJ? Those are standard two... who else? They're getting open shots, that's the easiest shot in the league, what more do you want?

I'm sorry but you're talking and explaining things like you started watching this team yesterday. You're again missing what's the biggest problem with this team. They're dead last in defense since the all star break but they have 8th best offense. So which side needs more work?

You saw PJ to Lively? There are other professional basketball players on this team. You gotta let them play. Now if we can play some defense.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 938

Post#37 » by Captain_Obvious » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:09 am

I want Kidd fired like all people but the way teams just throw it into the ocean against us - almost feel bad for him
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:10 am

That last Mavs possesion Luka forced it...Pass the ball...

They were punished on the other end by Miami
joesha1698
Senior

Post#39 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:10 am

That last shot by Luka is an example of hero ball. That's what I'm talking about. Other guys can make decisions and are rolling and he comes down and dominates the ball for no reason. First time up to this point. I grew up watching Kobe and doing the Kwame/Smush/Odom years it was very similar to what Luka is doing. Kobe dominated the ball and possessions and their record was similar to what dallas record is now. Kobe scored 81 points that season. If Kobe passes a little more and allows other to touch the ball - they win 50 games and he probably wins the MVP.

Numbers are misleading. To reach our potential as a team the ball must be moving. Players must be moving...putting all the pressure on Luka (when u have help) is great for Luka's numbers but its holding his teammates back. These guys can do a lot more when the ball moves. When one of these guys mess up - thats what coaching is for.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#40 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:13 am

joesha1698 wrote:That last shot by Luka is an example of hero ball. That's what I'm talking about. Other guys can make decisions and are rolling and he comes down and dominates the ball for no reason. First time up to this point.

Yeah,that Play looked terrible and those are the situations where he needs to make better decisions... don't force it

Return to Dallas Mavericks