ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Pistons (Sat., 7PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,948

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Pistons (Sat., 7PMEST) 

Post#21 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:40 pm

Archx wrote:Probably the hardest game of the season for Mavs. Timmy Sr. angling for Mavs coaching job?? Maybe like Rick Brunson?

Some wisdom words from Tim Hardaway Sr. to some of his fellow instagram "friends". I swear this is real, i'm not making this up.

And what place there in because Luka don't trust his team. The joker trust his team that's why he is 2 time mvp. Like I said before. Luka is just like James harden, and you won't win like that. But you don't see it like that. Because you don't know basketball. It not me in a team. It's team in a team, that's how you win. And Luka doesn't think like that. He can't even win on his nation team because they don't like playing with him. He does the same thing. Not a winner. Understand that my man.

Some guy pressed him harder and another brilliant response.

Dude you don't even know what you are talking about. The reason why yall don't win is because of Luka and you don't even know that. Luka plays just like James harden in Houston and what happen? Nothing! Understand that. You don't know basketball. Tell Luka to run offense I promise you Tim will produce like he did when Luka was out!

And he concluded that his son carried this team when Luka was out.

man please, Tim carried the team when then guys was out and you was all on him. Shout your mouth.

What can i say, i guess Kidd wasn't joking when he said THJ is vital to their championship run, i guess he really had some words with his dad behind the scenes :lol:

I have no idea what he's mad about. I guess he wants his son starting and playing 38 minutes a game or something.

Despite what he thinks Luka has not had any championship teams that he's been on. Lebron or Curry wouldn't have a ring if they were in his shoes, maybe not even Jordan. It's stupid to think taking the ball out of Luka's hands would somehow make us better.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,988

Post#22 » by Archx » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:50 pm

Dirk wrote:
Archx wrote:
Dirk wrote:Vintage Grant Williams.

Honeymoon phase over or they still act like they traded for TMac?

The Hornets gave up 44 points in the 4th quarter to the Wizards, who had lost 16 straight games. As a whole, the team's feel good run has finished (they have injuries) and they're reverting back to being bottom of the league.

I did keep an eye on his highlights in the first few games and he was shooting 3s well, but had some luck with assists, free throws, 2 point shots... that inflated his stats. I've just been curious about him because his lowlights really are comical.

Realistically, it's almost irrelevant how good or bad he is for CHA. They traded because they received a potentially good draft pick. But yeah, some fans did seem to buy in that Grant Williams was "good" after the first few games... we will have to check at the end of the year and into next season... to actually finally have a verdict whether this guy was just "unlucky" in Dallas or somehow the Celtics were able to mask an abomination of a player.

More importantly is PJ Washington not having airball 3s :noway: . His 3pt shot has looked very dubious... but other than that, he has looked okay and I kind of felt bad for him moving to a winning team and then soon after going through a losing run where it felt he actually did his job.

Heh yeah, it's much easier to relax and do whatever you want on a tanking team. Irony is, i was actually happy with Grant in his first month or so? But then Celtics fans also came out saying he's still not what you think he is and they were right. It actually went downhill from that point for him. Then he finally got benched and i just knew his time with Mavs was basically already over.

I think Hornets fans will soon figure out he's not a miracle worker and why was he basically let go from 2 teams that had high hopes for playoff success. But until Hornets are more or less tanking, it doesn't even matter. They're even playing Bertans like he's one of the most important players in the NBA.

ChipotleWest wrote:I have no idea what he's mad about. I guess he wants his son starting and playing 38 minutes a game or something.

Despite what he thinks Luka has not had any championship teams that he's been on. Lebron or Curry wouldn't have a ring if they were in his shoes, maybe not even Jordan. It's stupid to think taking the ball out of Luka's hands would somehow make us better.

He's mad because fans are telling him to tell his son to play better. And he's defending his son like he is the centerpiece of a championship team. If you'd read his other responses you'd just laugh.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#23 » by tleikheen » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:41 pm

I want to see Gafford get 32-34 minutes tonight with DLive out .

Luka is questionable with a sore elbow .
GermanFan120
Analyst
And1: 1,097

Post#24 » by GermanFan120 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:09 pm

joesha1698 wrote:Apparently the posters here know more than Shaq, Kenny Smith, Charles Barkely, Tim Hardway Sr, Grant Williams, and now add Chandler Parsons to that list: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/chandler-parsons-says-it-s-exhausting-being-luka-doncic-s-teammate/ar-BB1jzUES

Look guys, there's more to basketball than stats. If you ever played basketball and one guy dominates the ball as much as Luka does( he's gonna have great stats) but its gonna hurt your rhythm as a player unless your strictly a catch and shoot 3 point shooter, lock down defender who doesnt care about shots, or a big man who catches lobs and set picks all game long. Which is why I say, if were gonna play Luka Ball - trade for another allstar at SF or PF - surround Luka with the best 3-D guys u can get - and go for it. If not, the ball has to move and more guys got to touch it.

Luka played his best with a 3 guard lineup - why is that? Could it be that with 3 guys with passing ability - help facilitate more ball movement instead of just letting one guy make all the decisions? I think its the latter.

You are absolutely right, hence why Suns Nash got MVP over better player like Kobe at that time.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#25 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:20 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Archx wrote:Probably the hardest game of the season for Mavs. Timmy Sr. angling for Mavs coaching job?? Maybe like Rick Brunson?

Some wisdom words from Tim Hardaway Sr. to some of his fellow instagram "friends". I swear this is real, i'm not making this up.

And what place there in because Luka don't trust his team. The joker trust his team that's why he is 2 time mvp. Like I said before. Luka is just like James harden, and you won't win like that. But you don't see it like that. Because you don't know basketball. It not me in a team. It's team in a team, that's how you win. And Luka doesn't think like that. He can't even win on his nation team because they don't like playing with him. He does the same thing. Not a winner. Understand that my man.

Some guy pressed him harder and another brilliant response.

Dude you don't even know what you are talking about. The reason why yall don't win is because of Luka and you don't even know that. Luka plays just like James harden in Houston and what happen? Nothing! Understand that. You don't know basketball. Tell Luka to run offense I promise you Tim will produce like he did when Luka was out!

And he concluded that his son carried this team when Luka was out.

man please, Tim carried the team when then guys was out and you was all on him. Shout your mouth.

What can i say, i guess Kidd wasn't joking when he said THJ is vital to their championship run, i guess he really had some words with his dad behind the scenes :lol:

I have no idea what he's mad about. I guess he wants his son starting and playing 38 minutes a game or something.

THJ and his dad are looking for a new contract. There are only two teams who have him contract and they're Knicks and Mavs. I don't think he deserves any new long-term deal.
From now on, it should be MLE and vet. min deals for him.

Reggie Bullock contributed more in one year than THJ's career in Mavs. Tim is far from a winning material.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:27 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Apparently the posters here know more than Shaq, Kenny Smith, Charles Barkely, Tim Hardway Sr, Grant Williams, and now add Chandler Parsons to that list: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/chandler-parsons-says-it-s-exhausting-being-luka-doncic-s-teammate/ar-BB1jzUES

Look guys, there's more to basketball than stats. If you ever played basketball and one guy dominates the ball as much as Luka does( he's gonna have great stats) but its gonna hurt your rhythm as a player unless your strictly a catch and shoot 3 point shooter, lock down defender who doesnt care about shots, or a big man who catches lobs and set picks all game long. Which is why I say, if were gonna play Luka Ball - trade for another allstar at SF or PF - surround Luka with the best 3-D guys u can get - and go for it. If not, the ball has to move and more guys got to touch it.

Luka played his best with a 3 guard lineup - why is that? Could it be that with 3 guys with passing ability - help facilitate more ball movement instead of just letting one guy make all the decisions? I think its the latter.

You are absolutely right, hence why Suns Nash got MVP over better player like Kobe at that time.

Do not promote Luka-hater kyr*e fans here.

TV personalities, especially the guys with racist tendencies like Kenyon Martin, Arenas, Shaq will try to hit Luka. Sometimes its only about having a talking point for those TV heads. The producers gave them a role. Pro-Luka or Against-Luka. It doesn't mean anything.

Hardaway is desperately looking for a new contract for his son. He has an outdated mindset. He thinks if THJr shoots 5 more shots, he'd increase his PPG and get a new deal. That is not true in the efficiency age though. THJr doesn't deserve a new long term deal by any metric.

Parsons is trying to get a name for himself for all TV, podcast businesses. What he's telling about Luka is dumb **** because Parsons essentially played his best ball with Harden who is most similar to Luka offense. Parsons without Harden was terrible, THJr without Luka has been shown to be an inefficient chucker too. So cut the crap.

Anyway, joesha1698 is not a serious poster. S/he can hate Luka as much as he wants. He just looks like a fool in Mavs sub.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,833

Post#27 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:45 pm

tleikheen wrote:I want to see Gafford get 32-34 minutes tonight with DLive out .

Luka is questionable with a sore elbow .

Dwight Powell is ready.
Archx
RealGM

Post#28 » by Archx » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:49 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:You are absolutely right, hence why Suns Nash got MVP over better player like Kobe at that time.

Except Nash didn't have to play in playoffs vs nr1 title contenders 2 years in a row with Trey Burke, Reggie Bullock, Boban, THj, Dwight Powell, etc....

This guy started watching Mavs few weeks ago and now thinks he knows everything. Like i said before, media talks **** for clicks and these TNT guys don't watch Mavs. Like they were pushing at that time for KP to play more in the post, yet KP couldn't even back down Reggie Jackson. It's easy to talk loud but when you get into things and look more closely, then you realize it's not always like we want it to be.

Rick is light years ahead of Kidd and he got most out of role players, Kidd is the opposite, he relies on Luka and Kyrie to do the work but Kyrie has been very selfish lately, he's hardly passing the ball, yet this poster and his media friends don't see that.

In last 8 games, when Kyrie was on the floor, Mavs lost 6 games in those minutes. That's only 2 positive game minutes that Kyrie was ON and even out of those 2, he was a neutral at 0 in one of those.

Luka on the other hand, Mavs lost only 3 games with his minutes ON the floor. And now this person and media are trying to convince us that Luka needs to pass more and he's the problem? Sure...ok.
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#29 » by GermanFan120 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:34 pm

I think some of the posters here need to chill a bit. Everyone gets an opinion no matter right or wrong.

I was very active during Dirk's time, back then posters had argument, but we were always family.

So please do not call anyone haters, and I will start from myself too.
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#30 » by GermanFan120 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:38 pm

Barkley was right about ball dominate Luka hero basketball. His number needs to be DOWN for the team to thrive.

I still compete in a league, and I understand basketball is a team sports at the end of the day. The team that shines in a league does not practise hero ball.

Remember back then anyone playing around Nash all of a sudden became better? And anyone playing around Kobe became trash (except Pau because he accepted his role as Kobe's b****)
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:40 pm

Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:You are absolutely right, hence why Suns Nash got MVP over better player like Kobe at that time.

Except Nash didn't have to play in playoffs vs nr1 title contenders 2 years in a row with Trey Burke, Reggie Bullock, Boban, THj, Dwight Powell, etc....

This guy started watching Mavs few weeks ago and now thinks he knows everything. Like i said before, media talks **** for clicks and these TNT guys don't watch Mavs. Like they were pushing at that time for KP to play more in the post, yet KP couldn't even back down Reggie Jackson. It's easy to talk loud but when you get into things and look more closely, then you realize it's not always like we want it to be.

Rick is light years ahead of Kidd and he got most out of role players, Kidd is the opposite, he relies on Luka and Kyrie to do the work but Kyrie has been very selfish lately, he's hardly passing the ball, yet this poster and his media friends don't see that.

In last 8 games, when Kyrie was on the floor, Mavs lost 6 games in those minutes. That's only 2 positive game minutes that Kyrie was ON and even out of those 2, he was a neutral at 0 in one of those.

Luka on the other hand, Mavs lost only 3 games with his minutes ON the floor. And now this person and media are trying to convince us that Luka needs to pass more and he's the problem? Sure...ok.

Its all BS. Kyrie fans tends to blame Luka in hindsight as they did for Tatum-Brown and KD-Harden.

TNT guys dont watch Mavs but to be fair they dont watch much NBA too :lol:

I think Hardaway kinda knows Luka has more power on the team but not forcing team to sign with THJ and maybe pissed about this. Or maybe he wants to create a narrative for his kid that he's good basketballer but he cant play due to Luka. They might try this angle to get more interest from other teams. But overall, I think his efforts will fail. Tim Hardaway is living as a millionaire and a star athlete for last 40 years. Tim Hardaway has every reason to act entitled and he probably think he has a lot of power and reach around the NBA. So he'll make those dumb comments but I dont think he can secure a 4th deal for his son. Its time for MLE and vet.min for THJr

I know some black athletes talk **** about white or Asian players when they get the chance. Comments on Jokic, Sabonis, Luka... Does anyone recall comments on Jeremy Lin from Kenyon Martin? There is also this disdain for international players taking over the top of the league. Even SGA is from Canada. Wemby is coming up as French national. So Kyrie is more untouchable than Luka for Mavs woes due to relationships, being US national, skin color etc.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#32 » by Bob8 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:10 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:Barkley was right about ball dominate Luka hero basketball. His number needs to be DOWN for the team to thrive.

I still compete in a league, and I understand basketball is a team sports at the end of the day. The team that shines in a league does not practise hero ball.

Remember back then anyone playing around Nash all of a sudden became better? And anyone playing around Kobe became trash (except Pau because he accepted his role as Kobe's b****)

Then tell me, why Kyrie and co. doesn't thrive without Luka? Kyrie has disastrous numbers without Luka in those difficult last 7 games.

If I tell you that Mavs had 6th offense and 30th D in last 7 games, would you still talk about problems with Luka's hero ball?
Archx
RealGM

Post#33 » by Archx » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:11 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:Barkley was right about ball dominate Luka hero basketball. His number needs to be DOWN for the team to thrive.

Barkley is wrong.

Did you already forget what happened last season when he statistically had to average over 35ppg in order for Mavs to even be competitive vs below .500 teams? They had a bad losing record when he scored under 30. He even had 60/20/10 game vs Knicks and Mavs barely won. They struggled vs tanking teams like HOU, etc...

The only difference this year is they have an improved roster but Kidd still doesn't change anything. How do you expect Mavs to change their playstyle if coach allows it? Luka is doing best he can with what he is given. You think he plays exactly the same with Slovenian team? You think he played exactly the same with Real Madrid?

And i already told you, Mavs are winning Luka's minutes, so they're doing something right, even his On/Off went from hugely negative to 3rd best on the team in just over 3 months.
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#34 » by GermanFan120 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:14 pm

Bob8 wrote:

Then tell me, why Kyrie and co. doesn't thrive without Luka? Kyrie has disastrous numbers without Luka in those difficult last 7 games.

If I tell you that Mavs had 6th offense and 30th D in last 7 games, would you still talk about problems with D Luka's hero ball?

Oh I didn't know you were talking about defense too. No one would disagree our defense sucked. right?
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#35 » by Bob8 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:16 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

If I tell you that Mavs had 6th offense and 30th D in last 7 games, would you still talk about problems with D Luka's hero ball?

Oh I didn't know you were talking about defense too. No one would disagree our defense sucked. right?

I'm telling you that offense, Luka's hero ball, is elite, problem is when he's not on the court and in D. And even D was much better in last 7 games, when Luka was on the court. I'm asking you, where we can see those problems with Luka's hero ball? And why Kyrie and co. are disastrous without him? Shouldn't they just be thriving? Or maybe you're just repeating what Shaq and his friends were saying?
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#36 » by deb » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:30 pm

I'd like to make two points here:

1. Statement: Heliocentric systems can't win championships. Can't they really? How many were there? Durant/Westbrook OKC? They were 3:1 up on one of the best teams in NBA history (GSW) and should've won, but crumbled and lost the series. Westbrook had Durant, a two way star that could play defense and played a different position. Harden's Rockets? Harden notoriously shrank in the playoffs and still took the same historically great team to seven games and lost more due to luck than getting dismantled by the Warriors. If these two teams peaked before or after GSW, they could've easily won a championship. No other team really comes to mind when talking about heliocentric systems. So I'd say it's possible to win with a heliocentric team, it just hasn't happened yet. I agree though it's generally better to have a more rounded roster where the ball moves around. And that brings me to the next point:

2. Both of those teams had better rosters than Luka has. I agree that the key to 2022 WCF run was having three players capable of creating something, but you can't really expect the likes of DFS, THJ, Maxi or Bullock to be able to do something, except shoot open threes. None of them can reliably attack a closeout or make more than the simplest of passes. And then they lost Brunson in the next offseason and traded away Dinwiddie to get Irving. That is why Exum is imo so important to the mavs, he is at least capable of creating something. This is now the best roster Luka has ever had, but the only player of the Doncic/Irving/Exum/PJ/Lively lineup that's been with the team before the current season is Irving, and he's been with the team for barely a year. Lively is a rookie, PJ's been with the team for a month and Irving and Exum missed significant chunks of the season due to injuries. The mavs are in a playoff hunt and if they start going away from Luka ball now, with 20 games left, it could mean missing out again, which could lead to Doncic wanting out. Plus they have Kidd as the head coach and that doesn't really inspire confidence in the mavs being capable of running any sort of complex actions without Doncic or at least Irving initiating everything.

Overall I'd say the greatest fault of Doncic's tenure was that the mavs traded for KP in his first season, then carried themselves as a true contender. What they should've been doing for the past six years is gathering assets and trying to figure a way to get Luka to play in a system instead of being the system, regardless of the win/loss column. They could've build a great team by now. Instead they embraced Luka ball and got into the playoffs and WCF early, but never had enough talent to seriously compete. Now they're stuck with Luka ball, because going away from it at this point probably means the mavs taking a step or two back for a couple of years and thus losing Doncic and having to go into another, longer, rebuild with virtually no assets...

So in conclusion I don't think we can reliably label Doncic as a black hole type player yet, considering the rosters he's had so far. If they keep the team together and add a piece or two, then in a year or more likely two, if Doncic's usage remains the same, we can start talking about needing to take the ball away from Doncic and that being the greatest Dallas' problem. Right now, Luka ball is the only thing keeping the mavs afloat.
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#37 » by GermanFan120 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:18 am

Bob8 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I'm telling you that offense, Luka's hero ball, is elite, problem is when he's not on the court and in D. And even D was much better in last 7 games, when Luka was on the court. I'm asking you, where we can see those problems with Luka's hero ball? And why Kyrie and co. are disastrous without him? Shouldn't they just be thriving? Or maybe you're just repeating what Shaq and his friends were saying?

Correct. I just repeated what they said because it made sense to me. If you disagree, that's totally fine.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,105

Post#38 » by Dirk » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:27 am

I wonder if LUka will ever fix this stuff. He can be high maintenance. Spent all game so far complaining to the refs and then a bad turnover and talk to refs again. Come on dude.
60/21/10
Archx
RealGM

Post#39 » by Archx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:29 am

Dirk wrote:I wonder if LUka will ever fix this stuff. He can be high maintenance. Spent all game so far complaining to the refs and then a bad turnover and talk to refs again. Come on dude.

Did you noticed he signaled to Kidd to sub him out? It's crazy that coach can't figure out on his own that his guy needs to get his head straight after so many straight TO's.
joesha1698
Junior
And1: 108

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Pistonuils (Sat., 7PMEST) 

Post#40 » by joesha1698 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:32 am

Love the ball movement but lets play some defense and take care of the ball.

Return to Dallas Mavericks