ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Pistons (Sat., 7PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,989

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Pistons (Sat., 7PMEST) 

Post#61 » by Archx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:03 am

Kidd had 6 TO's left and couldn't take one when Gaff was struggling when he got hit in the head... Pistons had to score 2 more points before he finally figured it out.
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 684

Post#62 » by BliscoSantos » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:07 am

I always thought that the notion the Mavs should Play a faster pace was dumb....yes, the ball should be moving faster on O(less dribbling),some off ball screens,cuts to the basket,moving around(not standing in the corner) ,but playing run&gun against teams like DET, WAS, anybody really,is Just dumb(consideringyour defense isn't good and you're not getting a lot of fast break points)
joesha1698
Junior
And1: 108

Post#63 » by joesha1698 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:08 am

Bob8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Then tell me, why Kyrie and co. doesn't thrive without Luka? Kyrie has disastrous numbers without Luka in those difficult last 7 games.

If I tell you that Mavs had 6th offense and 30th D in last 7 games, would you still talk about problems with Luka's hero ball?

Plus minus is misleading. There have been lot of fans who have pointed out players who have played better only to have a lower plus/minus than a guy who clearly didnt play as well.That's because plus minus has to do with how the score goes up or down when your in the game. It doesn't take into account what lineups you play with or if the offense centers around a certain player and thus that players stats will always look better.

As for Kyrie he was shooting 54% in feb and 46.5 from the 3 point line and avg 27.5 ppg. The team was 8-2. The two losses in Feb Kyrie scored 29 and 30points in those games and shot in the 50% from the 2 and 3% on average.

In March, Kyrie has been 43 and 35% from the 3 and the team has been 1-3. He has clearly struggled in the first 3 gamer of March but that was after playing out of his mind for the whole month of Feb. Just saying.

Here is a reddit post about plus/minus: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/tg323j/why_plus_minus_is_a_generally_terrible_and/?rdt=45694

To compare +/- between players in different teams is fruitless, but +/- is good to show which lineups works and which aren't. Those with Luka are mostly pretty good.

My point though was, if Mavs had 6th offensive rtg in last 7 games and 30th defensive rtg, than maybe Luka's heliocentric game is not the problem but D is.

I never said Luka ball is THe problem, i just feel the Mavs are better with more guys involve and getting touches. I actually think Luka is looking better when he gets right to the point and or moves the ball and doesnt run pick and roll every play. I simply think we're better when more guys touch the ball and get to participate in the offense aside from setting picks for Luka and lobs and shooting 3s. Luka is still getting his numbers while the ball moves more. I think in the long run this makes us more dangerous and incentives other guys on the Mavs to play defense.

Note: Just want to add, just because I want more guys to get touches in this offense - doesn't mean they should be undisciplined and force shots. However, they don't need to just hand Luka the ball every play. It's a team. They are capable of scoring and making plays that do not include Luka. That's basically how the Celtics play on offense. That's what I want to see. More ball movement with Luka stepping up when its needed - instead of Luka Ball being the first option.

While I write this, Green played great defense for 23 seconds and then was undisciplined at the end.
Archx
RealGM

Post#64 » by Archx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:14 am

Can't even stop Pistons from scoring...
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#65 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:18 am

joesha1698 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Plus minus is misleading. There have been lot of fans who have pointed out players who have played better only to have a lower plus/minus than a guy who clearly didnt play as well.That's because plus minus has to do with how the score goes up or down when your in the game. It doesn't take into account what lineups you play with or if the offense centers around a certain player and thus that players stats will always look better.

As for Kyrie he was shooting 54% in feb and 46.5 from the 3 point line and avg 27.5 ppg. The team was 8-2. The two losses in Feb Kyrie scored 29 and 30points in those games and shot in the 50% from the 2 and 3% on average.

In March, Kyrie has been 43 and 35% from the 3 and the team has been 1-3. He has clearly struggled in the first 3 gamer of March but that was after playing out of his mind for the whole month of Feb. Just saying.

Here is a reddit post about plus/minus: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/tg323j/why_plus_minus_is_a_generally_terrible_and/?rdt=45694

To compare +/- between players in different teams is fruitless, but +/- is good to show which lineups works and which aren't. Those with Luka are mostly pretty good.

My point though was, if Mavs had 6th offensive rtg in last 7 games and 30th defensive rtg, than maybe Luka's heliocentric game is not the problem but D is.

I never said Luka ball is THe problem, i just feel the Mavs are better with more guys involve and getting touches. I actually think Luka is looking better when he gets right to the point and or moves the ball and doesnt run pick and roll every play. I simply think we're better when more guys touch the ball and get to participate in the offense aside from setting picks for Luka and lobs and shooting 3s. Luka is still getting his numbers while the ball moves more. I think in the long run this makes us more dangerous and incentives other guys on the Mavs to play defense.

While I write this, Green played great defense for 23 seconds and then was undisciplined at the end.

Every game will be close, if you let opponents score 65 per half. They need to start defend, offense is not the problem. Luka is not only scoring a lot, he's very efficient doing that.

This fast tempo basketball against inferior team is as stupid as it gets.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#66 » by joesha1698 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:26 am

Bob8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Every game will be close, if you let opponents score 65 per half. They need to start defend, offense is not the problem. Luka is not only scoring a lot, he's very efficient doing that.

I don't think their playing faster tempo. I think more guys are just involved and their not waiting for Luka to walk the ball down as if their not capable of making decisions. If our defense is bad, its bad. However, I rather us win as a team than win games with Luka having historic nights - which in the long run isnt good for Luka or this team. When you consistently play like that - guys start to over defer to him. Luka is scoring great right now and he hasn't had to work as hard. That's a good thing. Luka ball should always be the 2nd option and as needed. Not the first option.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#67 » by joesha1698 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:32 am

Luka is playing great. Showing his versatility. Love to see that he's playing this great without holding the ball so long.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#68 » by joesha1698 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:38 am

Luka has to play through that. Refs aint calling it.
Archx
RealGM

Post#69 » by Archx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:42 am

Best thing about this game is THJ has played only 7 mins so far. Kidd is slowly learning. Now send in Hardy if he's still alive.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#70 » by Maverick41 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:50 am

Happy to see THJ hitting some shots finally.

Also can't stress enough how much better the ball movement is when Exum is on the floor.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#71 » by Maverick41 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:54 am

A nice pass from THJ in transition for an easy Gafford dunk. Now that I don't see often. Need to bring Tim Hardaway Sr. to every game if this is how you unlock the good THJ :lol:
Archx
RealGM

Post#72 » by Archx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:56 am

Maverick41 wrote:Happy to see THJ hitting some shots finally.

Also can't stress enough how much better the ball movement is when Exum is on the floor.

Pistons making THJ look like prime Lebron, so obviously Kidd will play him 30 mins next game vs better teams, which will suck :D
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#73 » by Maverick41 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:09 am

Love seeing this fight from the team. Kudos to PJ for being a real one.
Archx
RealGM

Post#74 » by Archx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:09 am

Some of Pistons players need anger management courses.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#75 » by Maverick41 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:21 am

Did we really leave Luka in just to get that rebound for the triple double? Wow. Just unnecessary and obvious stat padding.
Archx
RealGM

Post#76 » by Archx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:22 am

LOOOOOOOL they actually statpadded Luka to history triple double...

I'm not hating though, he deserved it.
GermanFan120
Analyst
And1: 1,100

Post#77 » by GermanFan120 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:28 am

Why is Kidd so lucky?
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Archx
RealGM

Post#78 » by Archx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:34 am

Honestly feels like Mavs are playing much better defense when Kyrie is not in the game. But i think Bob8 proved it with some stats which i'm actually too lazy to check. But Exum has been great and bigger more athletic lineups work good with Doncic.

Also, this is wild.

Read on Twitter
Bob8
General Manager

Post#79 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:37 am

joesha1698 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

I don't think their playing faster tempo. I think more guys are just involved and their not waiting for Luka to walk the ball down as if their not capable of making decisions.

What are you talking about? Mavs were 30th in pace in 2021/22 and are 9th this season. This's huge turnaround. May I mention that they finished 4th in 21/22 and made WCF?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#80 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:44 am

Archx wrote:Honestly feels like Mavs are playing much better defense when Kyrie is not in the game. But i think Bob8 proved it with some stats which i'm actually too lazy to check. But Exum has been great and bigger more athletic lineups work good with Doncic.

Also, this is wild.

Read on Twitter

No, Kyrie has not bad defensive rtg, Mavs D is just 0.4 better with him off the court. Kyrie's offense without Luka was disastrous in last 7 games. That kinda negates everything what some here a writing about Luka's heliocentric offensive game. Mavs just can't play without him.

Return to Dallas Mavericks