ImageImageImage

The General Board Luka Slander is Surreal...

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JonKonkakMVP
Ballboy
And1: 4

The General Board Luka Slander is Surreal... 

Post#1 » by JonKonkakMVP » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:06 am

I'm a new user, so can't post in the GB for 30 days. But reading the MVP thread, it's so incredibly vexing to read the sheer, unmitigated idiotic takes. Something I keep seeing parroted by a couple of users is that SGA and Jokic are "way ahead" of Luka in all advanced stats. Except...SGA isn't. I don't follow RAPTOR or EPM, but with Luka's Herculean efforts over the past few months, he has *passed* SGA in VORP and BPM. Luka is 2nd in the NBA (only behind Jokic) in both BPM and VORP. And that lead will widen tomorrow after SGA's poor performance in a loss to Indy (huh...a rare game where his 2nd option, Williams, was out and he sucked...almost as though it's hard to deal with injuries...). A couple people in that MVP thread are even *still* saying how SGA is better in advanced stats like BPM. For the love of God, someone correct them!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2024_leaders.html

Also, for all the hemming and hawing about +/-...since the trade, when Luka has actually, for once, had a decent, healthy roster, his +/- is *better* than SGA AND Jokic. Almost as though those things matter...

It went from like +1.2 to +7.2. All it took was a decent center and health. This isn't rocket science.

So A. SGA isn't "ahead of Luka in all impact stats," because he's behind Luka in two keystone ones, BPM and VORP. And B. Luka's +/- has skyrocketed by merely having a decent, healthy roster.

I'm sick and tired of this farcical notion that Luka's impact isn't inline with the other top players. Not only is it, but it would even better if his 3rd option wasn't THJ, who is *the* worst third option in the entire NBA (post on that come)...
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Re: The General Board Luka Slander is Surreal... 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:45 am

Welcome to the board!
Luka slander is a result of last season failure and this season relatively disappointing outcome, people, who generaly have a bird's eye view of the Mavs, are rightfully questioning Luka's impact on winning, as opposed to Mavs fans who track the team closely and know all mitigating factors.
Once Luka goes back to the PO, the narrative will shift quickly.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#3 » by arkuo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:57 pm

It's no different from what Dirk experienced. He's white, he's soft, no defense. Until Dirk won his ring, then he became legit league-wide.

The Luka hate is just a bit more than Dirk's, and that's because Luka likes to talk and yap back and fourth as opposed to Dirk who's more quiet, mind your own business type of guy. And up until he backs it up, I guess it will just stay that way. Jokic and Giannis would have experienced the same thing, but they won their rings, so there's that.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Post#4 » by Mavrelous » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:07 pm

arkuo wrote:It's no different from what Dirk experienced. He's white, he's soft, no defense. Until Dirk won his ring, then he became legit league-wide.

The Luka hate is just a bit more than Dirk's, and that's because Luka likes to talk and yap back and fourth as opposed to Dirk who's more quiet, mind your own business type of guy. And up until he backs it up, I guess it will just stay that way. Jokic and Giannis would have experienced the same thing, but they won their rings, so there's that.

Jokic was slandered from when he lost to GS in 22 PO until he beat the Suns in the 23 PO, but Dirk had it worse, even w/o the internet he had the soft Euro slander, with Twitter today he would've been ridiculed more than CP3, Harden and Melo who are also ringless, Luka actually put a lot fear in the heart of haters after what he did to Booker and CP3 in 22 and how he played the Clippers in 21.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#5 » by dirkforpres » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:43 pm

Very few Euros actually get respect they deserve until they win a ring. Pau, Dirk, Giannis, and Jokic all got the same kind of hate on the GB before their rings. Same thing will probably happen to Wembanyama in about 4 years unless the Spurs have a meteoric rise.

A vast majority of the people who post on there are casuals that just ride whatever stupid hot take is new and fresh. ESPN and other talking heads have been pushing this pro SGA, anti-Luka narrative all year long so this is just collateral damage from that. Same thing happened last year with Embiid and Jokic. Just ignore it. Luka is unreal and undeniable. Thats all that matters.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,984

Post#6 » by Archx » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:52 pm

The unbelievable amount of wrong takes is absolutely incredible. I see other Mavs fans are trying to correct people but you just can't follow anymore. Some are warranted but still feels like majority of those are from people who just repeat what media says and are not even watching Mavs.

Then you have gems like "Mavs have great role players like THJ who can dribble and initiate the offense so Luka don't have to do all by himself"... Really don't know if i should laugh or throw my monitor out the window reading that BS.

But i know Jokic went through the same **** until he won. If Mavs win it all one day with Luka, 30% of RealGM, Barkley, Arenas and Chandler Parsons will have a complete meltdown probably.

JonKonkakMVP wrote:It went from like +1.2 to +7.2. All it took was a decent center and health.

Went from -3.7 to +7.2. That's +10.9 swing.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#7 » by tleikheen » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:21 pm

I remember when Dirk took Kevin Garnett apart ,that opened alot of eyes . Luka embarrassed Booker and the Suns .

But most fans are 1 team homers and don't pay attn to other teams or players,so they're heavily biased based on mostly false narratives. The Wizard fans by and large are 1 team homers and say Gafford is only a 1 trick pony and can't do anything but dunk. Rui Hachimura has a low BBIQ , KP is Euro soft to be a Center on a competing team, and Bradley Beal doesnt play winning BB . They've tried to label their ex players while having the worst record in BB and look ing like their rebuild will go on for years. They're an example of labeling players who have gone to good teams from a bad team and exceled on there new team just by being in a better situation,

We heard what they said about Gafford . Now with Luka and the Mavs he is chasing history . It will be big if Luka assists Gaff for the record . That's MVP sh*t in my book !
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,941

Post#8 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:02 pm

Luka has not had good teams. I do not believe Lebron or Curry would have a single ring if they started their careers on the same teams with the same rosters. Not even sure about Jordan.

While I'm not saying he's as good as any of the 3 you can't argue that any of them won rings totally by themselves. Luka's best teammates have been Porzingis (Carlisle had him stand at the 3 point line mostly) and point guards 2 of which are small 2 play little defense (Kyrie, Brunson, Dimwiddie). Luka is a point guard.

Can we see what Luka looks like with a good wing like Kawhi? The best he's had is Harrison Barnes and DFS. Well no we can't because the Mavs have few draft picks and no cap space.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,935

Post#9 » by Oscar9992 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#10 » by arkuo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:28 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
arkuo wrote:It's no different from what Dirk experienced. He's white, he's soft, no defense. Until Dirk won his ring, then he became legit league-wide.

Jokic was slandered from when he lost to GS in 22 PO until he beat the Suns in the 23 PO, but Dirk had it worse, even w/o the internet he had the soft Euro slander, with Twitter today he would've been ridiculed more than CP3, Harden and Melo who are also ringless, Luka actually put a lot fear in the heart of haters after what he did to Booker and CP3 in 22 and how he played the Clippers in 21.

Yeah forgot to mention that Jokic bit. However Luka presents himself an easy target to the fans and the media because he likes to talk a lot. Anytime you try to grab the spotlight, there will be people waiting for give out the first comment the first time you fail. Luka likes tye attention, so I guess it just comes with the territory. No one drives a 6x6 "tank" and doesn't want the attention. So we know he likes it. The last part is he just needs to back it up and win one so he gets in thst same level as Jokic and Giannis
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#11 » by tleikheen » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:32 pm

by ChipotleWest » 6 minutes ago

Luka has not had good teams. I do not believe Lebron or Curry would have a single ring if they started their careers on the same teams with the same rosters. Not even sure about Jordan.

While I'm not saying he's as good as any of the 3 you can't argue that any of them won rings totally by themselves. Luka's best teammates have been Porzingis (Carlisle had him stand at the 3 point line mostly) and point guards 2 of which are small 2 play little defense (Kyrie, Brunson, Dimwiddie). Luka is a point guard.

Can we see what Luka looks like with a good wing like Kawhi? The best he's had is Harrison Barnes and DFS. Well no we can't because the Mavs have few draft picks and no cap space.

I think Luka has a good team right now. They're 11- 5 in their last 16 games and utilizing their Centers as a big part of their offense right now .I'm liking what I'm seeing.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#12 » by Maverick41 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:56 pm

Yeah the negativity around Luka on the GB and the media is getting unbearable and really showing who actually watches and who doesn't.

At this point, it's just on Luka to prove them wrong. Winning cures everything.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#13 » by Captain_Obvious » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:03 pm

You guys still read those threads? I stopped in Dirk's prime - it's just noise. I only care about the games.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,984

Post#14 » by Archx » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:12 pm

There are people arguing that he's a bad teammate, then you see stuff like this.

Out of those 28 FG's, 16 came directly from Doncic's assist.

Read on Twitter

Mavs are so unlucky they have to play with a selfish ballhog like that. If only they had someone like Lonzo Ball. THJ would probably average 40ppg and his dad would be proud.
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 684

Post#15 » by BliscoSantos » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:57 pm

I mean , the O might not be pretty on the eye but it works...sure Luka has the ball a lot in his hands but who would you rather have iniciate the O than him...with that being said you could help him out,cut his dribbling down by making some off ball screens/cuts to the basket/move around without the ball....everybody is talking about Luka not being able to Play off ball when the the Mavs O is the same when he's not running it... there's little off ball movement...they basicaly play pick'n roll, drive to the basket,layup or Pass outside
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#16 » by tleikheen » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:58 pm

When Dante and Luka are playing you see them play a 2 man game with Luka getting catch and shoot passes from Exum.
joesha1698
Junior
And1: 108

Post#17 » by joesha1698 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:25 am

some of you may think its all slander but its not. ive been preaching the same thing about ball movement and how were much better on both sides of the ball all year when we limit the luka ball. multiple nba hall of famers, role players, etc - have all said the same thing but people on the mavs board (most of them who probably never played any decent basketball in their life) wanna sit here and claim its all slander.

everyone is out to get luka, that's pretty dumb. ive heard harden, kobe, kyrie, KD, stevie francis (over dribbling),russell westbrook (stat patting / not winning enough games) and many players in this league criticized throughout their career. someone critiquing someone style of play and how its impacts chemistry (both sides of the ball and morale) and how it impacts winning is fair game.

since the ball start moving again (i dont care how) we have been better on both sides of the ball. there is no grand conspiracy against luka. now the real conspiracy is how the nba has just stop calling so many fouls (which i like) but there are some clear fouls not being called where ive seen luka clearly fouled.

wanna hear a bigger conspiracy than that? kyrie irving has been giving no calls since that playoffs vs boston. he rarely gets any calls. so between kyrie and luka scoring some of the most points in the nba ppg but receiving the fewest free throws - mark cuban might go crazy on the league in the playoffs.
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#18 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:21 pm

Some of you don't get it, if Luka had Kawhi and Paul George as teammates than he damn well better distribute as much as possible and his numbers should be down. But you don't consider the teammates he has. Other than Kyrie who is going to score those points? We don't have 20 ppg players, increasing their usage rate would just hurt the team's efficiency. Luka has to carry the load on the rosters that he's had, every one of them. If you pass it to THJ more it's not going to make you win more. The opposite will happen. You can go down the list PJ Washington, DJJ, Maxi, Lively mostly just gets easy dunks. The only one that maybe could score a little more would be Gafford. Luka is a damn good offensive player and you want to take the ball out of his hand to give it to who? Kyrie gets plenty of shots. No one else should have the ball in their hands more.

The only other player to have a usage rate over 35% than Luka is Joel Embiid, but no one says they need to take the ball out of Embiid's hands only Luka. Embiid has had better teammates almost his entire career and isn't a point guard. And as much praise Embiid has had to Luka's dispraise Embiid hasn't even made the Eastern Conference Finals, Luka made the Western Conference Finals. He went with Brunson and Dimwiddie his best teammates, and had Powell Maxi and Bertans as his bigs. Still not sure how the Mavs beat the #1 Suns in the Semifinals.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,831

Post#19 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:44 pm

All superstars are criticized until they win a ring.
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#20 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:17 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:All superstars are criticized until they win a ring.

Very true, and no one even cares to consider things like teammates coach etc....

Return to Dallas Mavericks