ImageImageImage

Trading one Problem for Another

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Re: Trading one Problem for Another 

Post#21 » by Swish77 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:25 pm

arkuo wrote:Time to package Green and THJ in the offseason.

JG is not going anywhere. Mavs Fo would have traded him this past trade deadline.Its been pretty clear Mavs FO likes JG
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#22 » by Swish77 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:36 pm

joesha1698 wrote:PJ Washington has the physical tools that Grant Williams did not. However, Grant Williams has the competitive spirit and the stronger mentality...even if that mentality gets him carried away at times. I rather have a guy that is competitive and is up for the challenge than a guy who not mentally engaged enough.

PJ Washington reminds me of a PF version of Dennis Smith Jr. A guy that has some physical ability and skill but never quite lived up to his potential. I'm not sure what held Dennis back or what's holding PJ back. I can only guess.

My guess of what's holding back PJ Washington is his mentality. He lacks an aggressive approach. It doesn't suit him to let the game come to him. His entire approach needs to change. When I see him on the court he looks too relaxed and I think that's why he's missing so many wide open shots. Josh Giddy has the same problem. He plays at such a relaxed pace that its hard to build a rhythm for yourself.

Basketball players (especially shooters) need a rhythm. Kevin Durant is known to practice at game speed. Do his shooting drills at game speed. Tim Hardaway Jr always seemingly has that bounce in his step. That bounce allows him to create "rhythm" at anytime on the court. Shooters need that.

Honestly, if this team could get through to PJ Washington and he pays super aggressive on both ends - this could really push the Mavs to new heights. This is probably wishful thinking as its already so late in the season. I can only hope that someone on the Mavs coaching staff gets through to him and lights a fire under him. I doubt it happens but I would love to see it.

This is the most overthinking post Iv ever seen in my life. WE all knew PJ's not a 3 point shooter. He never has been his entire NBA career. Most likely never will be. Its not his game. And its not why the Mavs traded for him. Your asking a player to be something he's not.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#23 » by dirkforpres » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:45 pm

My only issue with the trade is that it included Seth, who would have been really handy to have now that Tim sucks.

Grant was one of the worst Mavericks I have ever watched and you could tell how frustrated Luka and Kyrie were with him in the end. PJ might not be shooting all that great right now, but at least he has been exceptional on defense and on the boards.
FIRE JASON KIDD
joesha1698
Junior
And1: 108

Post#24 » by joesha1698 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:20 pm

Swish77 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:PJ Washington has the physical tools that Grant Williams did not. However, Grant Williams has the competitive spirit and the stronger mentality...even if that mentality gets him carried away at times. I rather have a guy that is competitive and is up for the challenge than a guy who not mentally engaged enough.

PJ Washington reminds me of a PF version of Dennis Smith Jr. A guy that has some physical ability and skill but never quite lived up to his potential. I'm not sure what held Dennis back or what's holding PJ back. I can only guess.

My guess of what's holding back PJ Washington is his mentality. He lacks an aggressive approach. It doesn't suit him to let the game come to him. His entire approach needs to change. When I see him on the court he looks too relaxed and I think that's why he's missing so many wide open shots. Josh Giddy has the same problem. He plays at such a relaxed pace that its hard to build a rhythm for yourself.

Basketball players (especially shooters) need a rhythm. Kevin Durant is known to practice at game speed. Do his shooting drills at game speed. Tim Hardaway Jr always seemingly has that bounce in his step. That bounce allows him to create "rhythm" at anytime on the court. Shooters need that.

Honestly, if this team could get through to PJ Washington and he pays super aggressive on both ends - this could really push the Mavs to new heights. This is probably wishful thinking as its already so late in the season. I can only hope that someone on the Mavs coaching staff gets through to him and lights a fire under him. I doubt it happens but I would love to see it.

This is the most overthinking post Iv ever seen in my life. WE all knew PJ's not a 3 point shooter. He never has been his entire NBA career. Most likely never will be. Its not his game. And its not why the Mavs traded for him. Your asking a player to be something he's not.

Your response is the most overexaggerated response I ever seen in my life. "We" huh? He's a career 35.3% percentage shooter 3-point shooter. He's shooting 25.3% with us in 16 games. I'm just asking for him to shoot his career averages and possibly a little bit better - since he should be getting better looks with Kyrie and Luka...How is that asking too much?

I do think the Mavs traded for him to be able to knock that shot down at a decent clip. Either way, if he continues to struggle, we have to find a way to move him out of that corner and put someone in that corner who can consistently hit those shots. We will not beat the championship caliber teams if we do not sure up weaknesses like this.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#25 » by tleikheen » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 pm

PJ we'll keep shooting until he gets avg at least and I think he'll come along but what stands out is he can put the ball and attack the basket still . The Mavs havent had that before So his corner 3 is still suspect but he will put the ball down and attack with floaters close.
MassimoPayne
Freshman
And1: 69

Post#26 » by MassimoPayne » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:44 pm

I love PJs baby hook or running floater or whatever you want to call it.
His three will fall at some point. He just needs a 4/4 game it will come back

And Dallas did not only trade for PJ. They traded against Grant. They wanted to get rid of him so quick because Luka and Kyrie got upset with him
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#27 » by Swish77 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm

joesha1698 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

Your response is the most overexaggerated response I ever seen in my life. "We" huh? He's a career 35.3% percentage shooter 3-point shooter. He's shooting 25.3% with us in 16 games. I'm just asking for him to shoot his career averages and possibly a little bit better - since he should be getting better looks with Kyrie and Luka...How is that asking too much?

I do think the Mavs traded for him to be able to knock that shot down at a decent clip. Either way, if he continues to struggle, we have to find a way to move him out of that corner and put someone in that corner who can consistently hit those shots. We will not beat the championship caliber teams if we do not sure up weaknesses like this.

Again again again he's not a 3 point shooter. what in that do you not understand? Like how hard is it to understand hey this guy isn't a 3 point shooter. You keep saying he needs to learn how to make the corner shot. That's not his game. It seems like to me you want him to be something he's not. Mavs wont be benching him to make you feel better. AGAIN we didn't trade for him to make corner 3's.
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#28 » by Swish77 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 pm

tleikheen wrote:PJ we'll keep shooting until he gets avg at least and I think he'll come along but what stands out is he can put the ball and attack the basket still . The Mavs havent had that before So his corner 3 is still suspect but he will put the ball down and attack with floaters close.

Inside the 3 point line he's a beast. like you said it's something we haven't had in a long time.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,984

Post#29 » by Archx » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:16 pm

dirkforpres wrote:My only issue with the trade is that it included Seth, who would have been really handy to have now that Tim sucks.

Grant was one of the worst Mavericks I have ever watched and you could tell how frustrated Luka and Kyrie were with him in the end. PJ might not be shooting all that great right now, but at least he has been exceptional on defense and on the boards.

Hardy is better than Seth and THJ but he's buried deep on the bench for no apparent reason.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#30 » by Bob8 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

Archx wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:My only issue with the trade is that it included Seth, who would have been really handy to have now that Tim sucks.

Hardy is better than Seth and THJ but he's buried deep on the bench for no apparent reason.

I'm afraid there's a reason, he needs the ball in his hands more than other role players to be effective and can't defend.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,042

Post#31 » by daoneandonly » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:02 am

Hardy is still better than Josh
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#32 » by Maverick41 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

Bob8 wrote:I'm afraid there's a reason, he needs the ball in his hands more than other role players to be effective and can't defend.

Hardy's at his best when it's catch and shoot or quick drives to the basket. Once he isos or takes more then 4 dribbles, there's trouble. Here's some numbers to prove it from NBA.com:

Catch and shoot from 3 %: 41.4%
Shoot <2 seconds: 41.5%
Shoot 2-6 seconds: 38.7%
Shoot 6+ seconds: 36.8%

The more he dribbles or holds the ball, the lower the shot quailty and %. Imo Kidd should be developing him as more of a catch and shoot guy who can be a secondary or tertiary creator. No isos allowed and stop trying to make him a point guard because he's just not.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#33 » by Bob8 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:23 am

Maverick41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:I'm afraid there's a reason, he needs the ball in his hands more than other role players to be effective and can't defend.

Hardy's at his best when it's catch and shoot or quick drives to the basket. Once he isos or takes more then 4 dribbles, there's trouble. Here's some numbers to prove it from NBA.com:

Catch and shoot from 3 %: 41.4%
Shoot <2 seconds: 41.5%
Shoot 2-6 seconds: 38.7%
Shoot 6+ seconds: 36.8%

The more he dribbles or holds the ball, the lower the shot quailty and %. Imo Kidd should be developing him as more of a catch and shoot guy who can be a secondary or tertiary creator. No isos allowed and stop trying to make him a point guard because he's just not.

Vast majority of players is having better % in catch and shoot than pull ups. Problem is that those players should be lethal shooters or need to be good defenders. Hardy is neither.

Hardy wants to play like Kyrie. I'm not very optimistic about his Nba career.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#34 » by Maverick41 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:50 am

Bob8 wrote:Vast majority of players is having better % in catch and shoot than pull ups. Problem is that those players should be lethal shooters or need to be good defenders. Hardy is neither.

That's true but I've been impressed by his catch and shoot ability. He's probably the one I believe in the most (outside of Luka and Kyrie) to make an open 3 on this team.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Post#35 » by Mavrelous » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:26 am

Hardys lack of PT is his fault, he started the season terrible, and when the team was down with injuries didn't capitalize on his opportunity, he looked much bigger this year than last year and shooting regression is expected, but if he wants to become something in a league that isn't kind to his prototype, he needs to come much better prepared next year.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 850

Post#36 » by Teffer10 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:23 am

Mavrelous wrote:Hardys lack of PT is his fault, he started the season terrible, and when the team was down with injuries didn't capitalize on his opportunity, he looked much bigger this year than last year and shooting regression is expected, but if he wants to become something in a league that isn't kind to his prototype, he needs to come much better prepared next year.

Hardy to me is Devonte Graham 2.0 and I think his career will be similar.
There's a place in this league for guys like that, but their roles will always be limited.

I was hoping for another JET with Hardy, but I definitely have my doubts now.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Post#37 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:43 am

Borderline absurd proposition of this thread. PJ is a huge win across the board and just needs to fix his shooting, which will come naturally.
This is the first time in his NBA career that he is playing in a winning organisation and with players of Lukas and Kais calibre. He's already a great asset and will only get better.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,984

Post#38 » by Archx » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:57 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:Borderline absurd proposition of this thread. PJ is a huge win across the board and just needs to fix his shooting, which will come naturally.
This is the first time in his NBA career that he is playing in a winning organisation and with players of Lukas and Kais calibre. He's already a great asset and will only get better.

Exactly. Look at Grant with Hornets with no expectations on a tanking team and compare him to Mavs and Celtics. Totally different situation once you're integrated within certain hierarchy where things drastically change.

PJ has been a hurge upgrade over Grant, there is no denying that, if his 3pt shooting gets to a steady 36%-38%, then this trade will look even better. Grant was a horrible rebounder, barely hustled, was slow as a turtle couldn't defend wing players and his shot went downhill. And all of that is without mentioning that he couldn't dribble to save his life. PJ can do all of that except the steady 3pt shot.

I mean Hornets are so bad that even Bertans and Seth looked like valuable players for a moment.
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#39 » by Swish77 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Hardys lack of PT is his fault, he started the season terrible, and when the team was down with injuries didn't capitalize on his opportunity, he looked much bigger this year than last year and shooting regression is expected, but if he wants to become something in a league that isn't kind to his prototype, he needs to come much better prepared next year.

He's had some great moments this year. we have won a couple games bc of his scoring/playmaking. He's my 2nd fav player on the mavs.I'd like to see him get more of THJ's time right now.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,941

Post#40 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:53 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:PJ will give you 3 great games for every 10. Just the way he is. The other 7 are either mediocre or abysmal

On offense,

We need defenders more than we need offensive players, we already have two of the best scorers.

Return to Dallas Mavericks