ImageImageImage

Trading one Problem for Another

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,945

Re: Trading one Problem for Another 

Post#41 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:54 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Hardys lack of PT is his fault, he started the season terrible, and when the team was down with injuries didn't capitalize on his opportunity, he looked much bigger this year than last year and shooting regression is expected, but if he wants to become something in a league that isn't kind to his prototype, he needs to come much better prepared next year.

Fair point, now do THJ and Maxi. They're hurting the team every time they're on the floor.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Post#42 » by Mavrelous » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:47 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Hardys lack of PT is his fault, he started the season terrible, and when the team was down with injuries didn't capitalize on his opportunity, he looked much bigger this year than last year and shooting regression is expected, but if he wants to become something in a league that isn't kind to his prototype, he needs to come much better prepared next year.

Fair point, now do THJ and Maxi. They're hurting the team every time they're on the floor.

I'd give all THJ minutes to Hardy, but Maxi is needed, this team needs switchable stretch 5 for certain matchups, Maxi in 2022 was in a very bad shooting slump and woke up in the PO.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,945

Post#43 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:09 am

Mavrelous wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

I'd give all THJ minutes to Hardy, but Maxi is needed, this team needs switchable stretch 5 for certain matchups, Maxi in 2022 was in a very bad shooting slump and woke up in the PO.

I don't see him being a stretch 5 anymore, he's not who he was 5 years ago. In the games when they kept him in instead of Gafford we got ran off the floor with 3's against us he didn't help at all. At least they figured out Gafford is too valuable to be benched. Between Maxi and Washington, Washington is the better defender and it's not close. Obviously Lively over him on defense as well.

I'd be fine with 10 minutes or less per game, but he still got 22 minutes against the Spurs tonight.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#44 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:25 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

I don't see him being a stretch 5 anymore, he's not who he was 5 years ago. In the games when they kept him in instead of Gafford we got ran off the floor with 3's against us he didn't help at all. At least they figured out Gafford is too valuable to be benched. Between Maxi and Washington, Washington is the better defender and it's not close. Obviously Lively over him on defense as well.

I'd be fine with 10 minutes or less per game, but he still got 22 minutes against the Spurs tonight.

Maxi Kleber is not back in his form of 2022 playoffs. However, he is doing better than most casual fans see.
We won Spurs game by 6 points where Maxi Kleber posted +/- rating of +27.
I am not saying he is +27 level of star player or sth. This stat may have some flaws but this kind of discrepancy indicates that Maxi Kleber minutes were helpful for the team.

On offense, he brings better spacing. Without him scoring the 3s, he still contributes with movement and spacing to the team. When Gafford-Lively plays, other teams bring help to the ball handler more. This ball handler can be Luka-Kyrie-Exum. When Maxi plays, there are vastly more space inside and when help defense arrives, there is an open 3 available.

On defense, he used to be more switchable than some centers. He doesn't look as good as he was. But the idea is basically having worse defense/rebounding and trading that with superior offense.

I trust Maxi to gear up in playoffs. He was solid in the 2022 playoffs. PJ-Gafford-Lively-DJJ dont have playoff experience so if we can improve Maxi's form, he'll be an asset in playoffs whether it's 15 or 22 mpg based on the matchup.
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#45 » by Swish77 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

THJ's key 3's last night and Maxi being +27 last night helped the Mavs beat the Spurs. SO I don't understand the There not helping us every time there on the floor take.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#46 » by Maverick41 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:09 pm

I'd like to see the following lineup at some point to close rather then the usual Maxi at the 5:

Luka/Kyrie/Exum/Jones/PJ

That's by far the most switchable defense we can put out with Luka and Kyrie while possibly being one of our best possible offensive lineups. Not saying it would work but I think it's worth experimenting with because if it does, it gives another option or possibly a better option then our current usual closing lineup.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#47 » by Diop » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:24 am

Maverick41 wrote:I'd like to see the following lineup at some point to close rather then the usual Maxi at the 5:

Luka/Kyrie/Exum/Jones/PJ

That's by far the most switchable defense we can put out with Luka and Kyrie while possibly being one of our best possible offensive lineups. Not saying it would work but I think it's worth experimenting with because if it does, it gives another option or possibly a better option then our current usual closing lineup.

Charlotte had PJ at the 5 a fair bit playing small ball and it went alright. You will need to crash the boards as he isn't a volume rebounder though, but the defensive switching and offense ran pretty well.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#48 » by Maverick41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:35 am

Diop wrote:Charlotte had PJ at the 5 a fair bit playing small ball and it went alright. You will need to crash the boards as he isn't a volume rebounder though, but the defensive switching and offense ran pretty well.

Appreciate a CHA fan chiming in and providing insight. I recall him being used a lot as a roll man at the 5 in CHA and it being one of his strengths. His floater game here in DAL has been almost automatic.

In terms of rebounding, it's not like Maxi is providing rebounds anyway. He's quite possibly the softest rebounder that's over 6'10" in the NBA. Both PJ and DJJ are better rebounders even if they are smaller.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Post#49 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:10 am

Maverick41 wrote:I'd like to see the following lineup at some point to close rather then the usual Maxi at the 5:

Luka/Kyrie/Exum/Jones/PJ

PJ as the switchable stretch 5 is interesting, I don't remember Kidd trying it at all, PJ, Luka and DJJ can gang rebound.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#50 » by tleikheen » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:56 am

Maverick41 wrote:
I'd like to see the following lineup at some point to close rather then the usual Maxi at the 5:

Luka/Kyrie/Exum/Jones/PJ

Minnesota ,OKC , Boston,Denver arent gonna change how they play during or at the end of games to match the Mavs and how Kidd coaches. Porzingis ,Gobert,Holmgren and Jokic arent chnaging how they play if Kidd puts in Maxi to play small.

So who are the Mavs trying to play smallball against exactly ?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#51 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:26 am

tleikheen wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

Luka/Kyrie/Exum/Jones/PJ

Minnesota ,OKC , Boston,Denver arent gonna change how they play during or at the end of games to match the Mavs and how Kidd coaches. Porzingis ,Gobert,Holmgren and Jokic arent chnaging how they play if Kidd puts in Maxi to play small.

So who are the Mavs trying to play smallball against exactly ?

Agree. It's a no sense.

However i prefer PJ over Maxi at the 5... And not even close.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#52 » by Maverick41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:33 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Agree. It's a no sense.

However i prefer PJ over Maxi at the 5... And not even close.

That's the point. We already know Kidd will play small to close the game. That's a given. I wanna see it with PJ at the 5 instead of Maxi. At least try it out. Not like Maxi is doing anything out there that PJ can't also do at the 5.

Return to Dallas Mavericks