ImageImageImage

Trading one Problem for Another

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

joesha1698
Junior
And1: 108

Trading one Problem for Another 

Post#1 » by joesha1698 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:56 pm

PJ Washington has the physical tools that Grant Williams did not. However, Grant Williams has the competitive spirit and the stronger mentality...even if that mentality gets him carried away at times. I rather have a guy that is competitive and is up for the challenge than a guy who not mentally engaged enough.

PJ Washington reminds me of a PF version of Dennis Smith Jr. A guy that has some physical ability and skill but never quite lived up to his potential. I'm not sure what held Dennis back or what's holding PJ back. I can only guess.

My guess of what's holding back PJ Washington is his mentality. He lacks an aggressive approach. It doesn't suit him to let the game come to him. His entire approach needs to change. When I see him on the court he looks too relaxed and I think that's why he's missing so many wide open shots. Josh Giddy has the same problem. He plays at such a relaxed pace that its hard to build a rhythm for yourself.

Basketball players (especially shooters) need a rhythm. Kevin Durant is known to practice at game speed. Do his shooting drills at game speed. Tim Hardaway Jr always seemingly has that bounce in his step. That bounce allows him to create "rhythm" at anytime on the court. Shooters need that.

Honestly, if this team could get through to PJ Washington and he pays super aggressive on both ends - this could really push the Mavs to new heights. This is probably wishful thinking as its already so late in the season. I can only hope that someone on the Mavs coaching staff gets through to him and lights a fire under him. I doubt it happens but I would love to see it.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,932

Re: Trading one Problem for Another 

Post#2 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:16 pm

Grant was playing bad and was apparently causing waves, I think he had a falling out with Luka. So he did have to go my biggest issue is they gave away an unprotected 1st round pick in 2030 to acquire Grant and then gave away the 2027 first round pick to acquire Washington. They gave up two first round picks to get Porzingis before and didn't get one back for Porzingis when trading him out and they still owe their 2024 1st round pick to the Knicks. They give away 1st round picks like candy and don't value them at all.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#3 » by Captain_Obvious » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:50 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Grant was playing bad and was apparently causing waves, I think he had a falling out with Luka. So he did have to go my biggest issue is they gave away an unprotected 1st round pick in 2030 to acquire Grant and then gave away the 2027 first round pick to acquire Washington. They gave up two first round picks to get Porzingis before and didn't get one back for Porzingis when trading him out and they still owe their 2024 1st round pick to the Knicks. They give away 1st round picks like candy and don't value them at all.

Do you understand the difference between trading a pick and pick swap?
GermanFan120
Analyst
And1: 1,096

Post#4 » by GermanFan120 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:11 pm

PJ Washington is fine.

/thread
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,932

Post#5 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:00 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Grant was playing bad and was apparently causing waves, I think he had a falling out with Luka. So he did have to go my biggest issue is they gave away an unprotected 1st round pick in 2030 to acquire Grant and then gave away the 2027 first round pick to acquire Washington. They gave up two first round picks to get Porzingis before and didn't get one back for Porzingis when trading him out and they still owe their 2024 1st round pick to the Knicks. They give away 1st round picks like candy and don't value them at all.

There was absolutely no pick swaps in the trades I mentioned, fail harder next time.

Word of advice: Double check your own facts before you try to rudely correct someone else.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#6 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:22 pm

PJ is fine.

Unfortunately Grant Williams clashed with Luka, i would have preferred trade Josh Green instead Grant Williams and i still think it.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#7 » by Captain_Obvious » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:00 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:

There was absolutely no pick swaps in the trades I mentioned, fail harder next time.

Word of advice: Double check your own facts before you try to rudely correct someone else.

https://www.nba.com/news/grant-williams-three-team-trade

good to see you know the difference

don't need your advice
joesha1698
Junior

Post#8 » by joesha1698 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:18 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:PJ is fine.

Unfortunately Grant Williams clashed with Luka, i would have preferred trade Josh Green instead Grant Williams and i still think it.

I'm actually glad we didnt trade Josh Green, believe it or not. He's young and he hits the 3 at a high clip. He uses effort on defense but just needs to learn. So, I actually think from a roster stand point we needed him - because who else do we have at the G/SF that is 6'5 and hits a 3 at a 40% clip?

If we bring in a greater defender (pippen, payton, artest/metta world peace, even raja bell) or someone like that to teach him mindset and work with him for 1 year...that would be great.
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#9 » by GermanFan120 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:21 pm

If Grant Williams is any good, Mavs wouldn't have to throw a FRP to complete the trade. Yes he is that terribly viewed by other teams.

On the other hand, PJ is fine and the worst scenario is we can flip him in the future to get good asset in return. He is not a problem to begin with, but even if he is, he is a good problem to have.
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#10 » by GermanFan120 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:23 pm

joesha1698 wrote:

I'm actually glad we didnt trade Josh Green, believe it or not. He's young and he hits the 3 at a high clip. He uses effort on defense but just needs to learn. So, I actually think from a roster stand point we needed him - because who else do we have at the G/SF that is 6'5 and hits a 3 at a 40% clip?

If we bring in a greater defender (pippen, payton, artest/metta world peace, even raja bell) or someone like that to teach him mindset and work with him for 1 year...that would be great.

You can teach someone to play defense. But you cannot teach basketball iq. That's Green's problem.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#11 » by joesha1698 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:38 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

You can teach someone to play defense. But you cannot teach basketball iq. That's Green's problem.

I feel what you're saying. However, basketball is not that complicated. Mavs should hire me. I'll teach him basketball IQ as well. This isnt rocket science. Most guys who cannot improve their basketball IQ is mostly because they have a preconceived notion about who they are and how they should play. Green is young and if he's open to learning and feedback - i believe someone can help him improve.

The first thing I would tell Green is that his bread and butter in this league is going to be 3-D-D. What is that? Hitting the 3 point shot, playing defense, and making smart decisions with the ball. I'll tell him if he listens to me and works hard - we can get incrementally better but you have to commit. Then you hold him accountable. Pick him up when he needs it. Help him be consistent.\\

1. Understand your opponent/ individual matchups(watch film)
2. Understand how they like to score (make it hard as possible for them)
3. Being technically sound and competing on that end
GermanFan120
Analyst

Post#12 » by GermanFan120 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:30 am

joesha1698 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

I feel what you're saying. However, basketball is not that complicated. Mavs should hire me. I'll teach him basketball IQ as well. This isnt rocket science. Most guys who cannot improve their basketball IQ is mostly because they have a preconceived notion about who they are and how they should play. Green is young and if he's open to learning and feedback - i believe someone can help him improve.

The first thing I would tell Green is that his bread and butter in this league is going to be 3-D-D. What is that? Hitting the 3 point shot, playing defense, and making smart decisions with the ball. I'll tell him if he listens to me and works hard - we can get incrementally better but you have to commit. Then you hold him accountable. Pick him up when he needs it. Help him be consistent.\\

What you said is not wrong.

Basketball iq means you think before or while you act.

When Green plays, he is like a dog chasing a frisbee. Total brainless.
joesha1698
Junior

Post#13 » by joesha1698 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:25 am

GermanFan120 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

What you said is not wrong.

Basketball iq means you think before or while you act.

When Green plays, he is like a dog chasing a frisbee. Total brainless.

that's funny and true.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#14 » by arkuo » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:08 am

Time to package Green and THJ in the offseason.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#15 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:35 am

joesha1698 wrote:

He is not a 3points threat right now, he averaged at 1 triple made per game.

He is in the path to be the new "great 3 points shooter Maxi Kleber".
And he is overrated as defender, too skinny.
Right now he remember me a light version, better 3points shooters Corey Brewer.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#16 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:33 am

PJ will give you 3 great games for every 10. Just the way he is. The other 7 are either mediocre or abysmal
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,982

Post#17 » by Archx » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:16 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:PJ will give you 3 great games for every 10. Just the way he is. The other 7 are either mediocre or abysmal

Luckily he's consistent on defense, this team really missed that since DFS was traded. He can guard anyone and hustles plus rebounds. Just wish Kidd was more creative on offense and came up with different motions on offense like Denver are doing with Jokic. It would also benefit PJ for some extra easy points.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#18 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30 am

Once PJ's shooting improves he will be viewed better. I don't believe many people realize how bad his shooting is and how good his shooting can be. Kidd has been playing him 31.7 minutes per game and that's the second most he's played in his career. His shooting has been just that bad...lol

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/washipj01.html

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#19 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:11 pm

HMFFL wrote:Once PJ's shooting improves he will be viewed better. I don't believe many people realize how bad his shooting is and how good his shooting can be. Kidd has been playing him 31.7 minutes per game and that's the second most he's played in his career. His shooting has been just that bad...lol

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/washipj01.html

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

It takes time to adjust to the team and the team adjusts to you. Aaron Gordon - Jokic duo wasn't that great together in first months. It took MPJ a couple of years to adjust Murray-Jokic centric game. PJ will move better, and Luka-Exum-Kyrie will find him in right moment where PJ likes to shoot. Luka would also understand when PJ is hot or when he needs to shoot to keep it warm and engaged.

Ideally, Mavs would've get Gafford-PJ last summer and they'd have training camp and 6-8 months together with the team before the playoffs.

PJ-Gafford looks to have the motor, they want to win and they put effort for sure. They just lack the winning experience. They have not played much playoffs, they've not even played important games as much as DFS-Maxi etc. Most other teams and their players rest in Hornets-Wizards games. They rarely play at full intensity against Gafford-PJ teams. So those two lacks that experience when all players are locked in.

They also dont know how some players would do things to get foul calls, flops in clutch moments. Also refs would swallow their whistle when the game tied whereas refs would give you a foul call when your team is down 20.

You know things like, if refs call moving screen to other team, then the next position they'd call against your team. DFS learned those things. Like if other team fouls Luka but not get called, then on defensive possession you can increase defensive intensity relying on not getting called easy foul call. Kinda like smelling the game, understanding the flow. Overall, I would say give time for PJ and Gafford.
Brunson was good at this on offense. He kinda understand what other defense is focused on and whether refs would call a easy call or not.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,042

Post#20 » by daoneandonly » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:41 pm

The only issue with the trade is Nico's inept negotiating skills and Cuban's stubbornness. PJ was never worth a top 2 protected pick. And rumors were Cha wanted Josh Green. The trade should have just been Green/Curry for PJ. But Nico only knows about shoe styles, and Cuban is too stubborn to admit Josh Green is a bust. We could have likely kept out pick too if it was Green.

Then if GWill was such a problem, trade him for whatever backup PG/wing a team was willing to deal. Pat Connagton, Joe Schmo, Whoever.

Return to Dallas Mavericks