ImageImageImage

Playoff Matchups

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Playoff Matchups 

Post#1 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:00 pm

This year West is strong and chaotic for seeding. Mavs would not miss playoffs and play-ins like last year, but we still don't know if we can get out of play-ins and take 5th, 6th seed.
This topic is for discussing Western Conference playoff matchups for 1st round, 2nd round or WCF.

Matchups I like for playoffs:
- Wolves: Luka-Kyrie with Maxi occasionally playing at 5, can take Gobert out. Conley is a small guard to be abused by Luka or Kyrie. Edwards is not a great scorer, not a good shooter. If KAT is healthy, it can take 6-7 games but if he's not 100%, I think Mavs can beat Wolves 4-1.

- Kings: This is a much more of a regular-season team than a playoff team. It wouldn't be easy to stop them and I expect to lose two game out of first four games. However, as we adjust in the series and Luka-Kidd take some of other teams rotation players out, it should be for Mavs to win. 4-2

- Pelicans: I mean we lost some games to them this season but they were mostly before we had Gafford-Lively together. Maxi was coming out from injury at the time, and now he is better defensively. Both Zion and JV can be taken advantage of in playoff time by Luka and Kyrie. PJ can make sure Ingram doesn't go crazy, hold him to 20 ppg. Luka can win this series as he'd dominate the clutch moments. 4-1

- Thunder: I am really not amazed by OKC Thunder this season. I watched their game live as well. When things go wrong, they dont seem to have much players to put out a character. They mostly rely on coach's plays and refs whistles to keep them in the game. SGA will probably keep getting calls but I am not sure for the rotation players. Some of them will evade playoffs. Luka can bully ball even against their big men. 4-2.

Matchups I do not like:
- Clippers: This is an obvious one as they have f'in too many great forwards. Kawhi-PG can easily dominate PJ-Green. Harden can definitely match Kyrie's offensive production and even more. We have Luka so we can win against a healthy LA Clippers but it will be taxing on our players. Even against much younger Luka team, we got 4-2, 4-3 losses which were close. Now with Gafford and Lively, I'd put Mavs as the favorite to win 4-3. But I'd rather see banged-up Clippers in semifinals or WCF. Because in other years, they consumed their health/energy against us and they lost in the next rounds due to injuries.

- Suns: Mavs can win but its hard to bet against KD team especially in the first round. If he's healthy, they have Booker-Beal to abuse our perimeter issues, abuse Kyrie and tire Luka. Bucks won a championship thanks to KD's foot was on the line. So its hard to play against him. Normally, I'd say Nurkic is an easy target but having KD around lurking for blocks, or him playing at 5 for clutch minutes would be challenging. Luckily, we wouldn't see them in first round. However, we may play a play-in game which would be a coin toss. 4-3 in playoffs.

- Nuggets: We just won a game against Jokic but I cant see us winning 4 games in a series against a healthy and focused Denver. Kidd is not a bad coach for playoff adjustments, but our team doesn't have a defensive identity. We're too brand new. Gordon-MPJ have been playing with Joker for many years. For last 6-7 years playoffs, Murray has been more clutch than almost anyone in the league when he is healthy. KCP-MPJ-Gordon and Brown-Watson. They'll gear up on defense in playoffs and they're f'in disciplined to execute on both sides for playoffs. 2-4

+ Wolves, Kings, Thunder, Pelicans
- Denver, Clippers, Suns, GSW

Bonus: A play-in game against GSW or LAL would be dangerous. Both teams are rating-machines and they can get heavily favorable calls in playoffs. Especially GSW! Last year they played 8v5 against Kings. When refs let Draymond pull, push, and hit on the wrist of other players then GSW suddenly becomes a good playoff team with solid defense. And if its a close game Curry can definitely hit a winner. It'd be 50%-50%. So please avoid play-ins!!
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Re: Playoff Matchups 

Post#2 » by Swish77 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:21 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:This year West is strong and chaotic for seeding. Mavs would not miss playoffs and play-ins like last year, but we still don't know if we can get out of play-ins and take 5th, 6th seed.
This topic is for discussing Western Conference playoff matchups for 1st round, 2nd round or WCF.

Matchups I like for playoffs:
- Wolves: Luka-Kyrie with Maxi occasionally playing at 5, can take Gobert out. Conley is a small guard to be abused by Luka or Kyrie. Edwards is not a great scorer, not a good shooter. If KAT is healthy, it can take 6-7 games but if he's not 100%, I think Mavs can beat Wolves 4-1.

- Kings: This is a much more of a regular-season team than a playoff team. It wouldn't be easy to stop them and I expect to lose two game out of first four games. However, as we adjust in the series and Luka-Kidd take some of other teams rotation players out, it should be for Mavs to win. 4-2

- Pelicans: I mean we lost some games to them this season but they were mostly before we had Gafford-Lively together. Maxi was coming out from injury at the time, and now he is better defensively. Both Zion and JV can be taken advantage of in playoff time by Luka and Kyrie. PJ can make sure Ingram doesn't go crazy, hold him to 20 ppg. Luka can win this series as he'd dominate the clutch moments. 4-1

- Thunder: I am really not amazed by OKC Thunder this season. I watched their game live as well. When things go wrong, they dont seem to have much players to put out a character. They mostly rely on coach's plays and refs whistles to keep them in the game. SGA will probably keep getting calls but I am not sure for the rotation players. Some of them will evade playoffs. Luka can bully ball even against their big men. 4-2.

Matchups I do not like:
- Clippers: This is an obvious one as they have f'in too many great forwards. Kawhi-PG can easily dominate PJ-Green. Harden can definitely match Kyrie's offensive production and even more. We have Luka so we can win against a healthy LA Clippers but it will be taxing on our players. Even against much younger Luka team, we got 4-2, 4-3 losses which were close. Now with Gafford and Lively, I'd put Mavs as the favorite to win 4-3. But I'd rather see banged-up Clippers in semifinals or WCF. Because in other years, they consumed their health/energy against us and they lost in the next rounds due to injuries.

- Suns: Mavs can win but its hard to bet against KD team especially in the first round. If he's healthy, they have Booker-Beal to abuse our perimeter issues, abuse Kyrie and tire Luka. Bucks won a championship thanks to KD's foot was on the line. So its hard to play against him. Normally, I'd say Nurkic is an easy target but having KD around lurking for blocks, or him playing at 5 for clutch minutes would be challenging. Luckily, we wouldn't see them in first round. However, we may play a play-in game which would be a coin toss. 4-3 in playoffs.

- Nuggets: We just won a game against Jokic but I cant see us winning 4 games in a series against a healthy and focused Denver. Kidd is not a bad coach for playoff adjustments, but our team doesn't have a defensive identity. We're too brand new. Gordon-MPJ have been playing with Joker for many years. For last 6-7 years playoffs, Murray has been more clutch than almost anyone in the league when he is healthy. KCP-MPJ-Gordon and Brown-Watson. They'll gear up on defense in playoffs and they're f'in disciplined to execute on both sides for playoffs. 2-4

+ Wolves, Kings, Thunder, Pelicans
- Denver, Clippers, Suns, GSW

Bonus: A play-in game against GSW or LAL would be dangerous. Both teams are rating-machines and they can get heavily favorable calls in playoffs. Especially GSW! Last year they played 8v5 against Kings. When refs let Draymond pull, push, and hit on the wrist of other players then GSW suddenly becomes a good playoff team with solid defense. And if its a close game Curry can definitely hit a winner. It'd be 50%-50%. So please avoid play-ins!!

There's not a team or matchup I don't like. Nobody in the NBA can stop Luka. Playoff Luka is on a completely different level. Yesterday's game felt like a playoff game Mavs and Nuggets match up really well. But it's way to early for this.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,439

Post#3 » by Mavrelous » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:27 pm

I just want to avoid play in, this team needs to prove they are legit before, they were in a similar euphoria and managed to lose to the Sixers and Pacers at home.
Just generate consistency and maintain defensive effort, and show some ability to shoot, right now it's bricks galore.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,044

Post#4 » by daoneandonly » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:48 pm

Mavrelous wrote:I just want to avoid play in, this team needs to prove they are legit before, they were in a similar euphoria and managed to lose to the Sixers and Pacers at home.
Just generate consistency and maintain defensive effort, and show some ability to shoot, right now it's bricks galore.

Agreed. The play-in is so stupid and spits in the face of an 82 game season. I just hope we get top 6 to avoid it. I rather not play the Clippers, but okay with almost anyone else.
GermanFan120
Analyst
And1: 1,100

Post#5 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:28 pm

We better not to be in the play in...

Also Pelicans and Kings will destroy us.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#6 » by tleikheen » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:27 pm

I dont want to see any smallball lineup with Maxi in it . he is washed as a good NBA player .His defense is over rated in this forum as he is the guy offenses attack. It looks like the Mavs are playing 4 against 5 when he's playing and teams will close out games on a 20 -4 run like the Nuggets did when Maxi was brought in. It took heroics by Luka and Kyrie to win the Denver game.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Post#7 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:42 pm

tleikheen wrote:I dont want to see any smallball lineup with Maxi in it . he is washed as a good NBA player .His defense is over rated in this forum as he is the guy offenses attack. It looks like the Mavs are playing 4 against 5 when he's playing and teams will close out games on a 20 -4 run like the Nuggets did when Maxi was brought in. It took heroics by Luka and Kyrie to win the Denver game.

I can't believe someone want to see Kleber at the 5 again :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#8 » by tleikheen » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:56 pm

Look who is ballin next to Luka and Kyrie coming into the stretch drive.

The 2 Centers , Lively and Gafford. They have changed the identity of this Mavs team.
PJ Washington ,struggling right now offensively but I think he'll come around before the playoffs .He has been playing good defense though.
Derrick Jones Jr.,steadily as the season as progressed he has gone from just a catch and shoot player to a driver who attacks the basket like no one else on the Mavs.
Dante Exum 6'6" in shoes has become the PG who brings the ball up and allows Luka to become the Mavs best catch and shoot player.He's long and team 1st player and thats who's needed w/ Luka and Kyrie.

Gaff,DLive,PJ,DJJ,Dante ,ALL NEW to Luka and Kyrie this year and yet might be the most dangerous team to face as the playoffs are awaiting.
Throw in Green as another 3 & D perimeter player and THJ as a guy who can light up the scoreboard when he has his stroke going and the Mavs are deep.

Beginning the season it was live and die by catch and shoot 3 pt shooters and transformed at the trade deadline to pound the ball inside with lob threats and guys who can attack the basket and not settling for 3 pters. But with that said when hot the Mavs can still light up the nets with 3 pters. The offense is NOT one dimensional anymore.

Every game forward I think the Mavs will become more dangerous as they get more gametime together and get the 6th spot and play the 3rd place finisher in OKC,MINN,Denver , most likely Minnesota.
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#9 » by Marko_MFFL » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:54 pm

If I could choose, I would choose to finish 6th and play in the first round against OKC.
OKC's weak point is the rebounds, and we can dominate there. I think they are a better matchup for us than Minnesota.
And above all, for Luka to shut everyone's mouth in a direct clash against SGA in the playoffs!

The Nuggets have by far the easiest schedule until the end, and OKC has a tougher schedule than Minnesota. So I think there's a good chance they'll finish third, but we have to do our best to finish 6th.
And then the second round Minnesota or play in team(Suns/Kings). Conference final vs Nuggets.

I believe in this new Mavs team, first of all in defense, and the playoff Luka(+Kyrie) will take care of the offense.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:06 am

Marko_MFFL wrote:If I could choose, I would choose to finish 6th and play in the first round against OKC.
OKC's weak point is the rebounds, and we can dominate there. I think they are a better matchup for us than Minnesota.
And above all, for Luka to shut everyone's mouth in a direct clash against SGA in the playoffs!

The Nuggets have by far the easiest schedule until the end, and OKC has a tougher schedule than Minnesota. So I think there's a good chance they'll finish third, but we have to do our best to finish 6th.
And then the second round Minnesota or play in team(Suns/Kings). Conference final vs Nuggets.

I believe in this new Mavs team, first of all in defense, and the playoff Luka(+Kyrie) will take care of the offense.

I agree that both OKC and Twolves are favorable matchups for us. I'd also want to avoid Denver until WCF. I'd not mind them playing with Lakers-GSW then clashing with Clippers at semi finals.

Schedule-wise, I think Denver can finish at 1st seed but OKC also doesn't have a tough one. TWolves seem like a 3rd seed to me as they have more Denver games coming up and are already 2 games behind the Thunder. I wonder if Denver would like to avoid to play LAL or GSW play-in winner due to those teams being NBA's favorite TV-rating teams.
Doranku
Analyst
And1: 5,861

Post#11 » by Doranku » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:41 am

The path to the WCF is a 3/6 matchup against a KAT-less Wolves team in the first round followed by the young, inexperienced OKC in the second round.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:20 pm

Doranku wrote:The path to the WCF is a 3/6 matchup against a KAT-less Wolves team in the first round followed by the young, inexperienced OKC in the second round.

Exactly this!

I really don't want to play against the Lakers/GSW, then Denver and Clippers to reach WCF.

I also think if OKC finishes #1 and matches up with a healthy LAL or GSW, they may lose that series. Especially Lakers. I mean Luka can hold his own against Lebron-Davis but SGA really didn't look like he's ready to play against Lebron in playoff time.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,958

Post#13 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:06 am

I'm starting to think we're going to get to #5 and face the Clippers. Kings have a brutal schedule and most of their toughest games are on the road. Unless they sweep us they have very little shot at #6 and even then maybe not.

Pelicans also have a pretty tough schedule only difference is most of their toughest games are at home but still we're only 1.5 behind them.

We have 2nd easiest schedule in NBA remaining.
StoneIsland
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#14 » by StoneIsland » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:39 am

Everything changes if that Ingram injury is serious and by the looks, it seems that it is serious.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#15 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:39 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Marko_MFFL wrote:If I could choose, I would choose to finish 6th and play in the first round against OKC.

I agree that both OKC and Twolves are favorable matchups for us. I'd also want to avoid Denver until WCF. I'd not mind them playing with Lakers-GSW then clashing with Clippers at semi finals.

Schedule-wise, I think Denver can finish at 1st seed but OKC also doesn't have a tough one. TWolves seem like a 3rd seed to me as they have more Denver games coming up and are already 2 games behind the Thunder. I wonder if Denver would like to avoid to play LAL or GSW play-in winner due to those teams being NBA's favorite TV-rating teams.

Lose in conference quarter-final or conference final really makes no difference, win is win, lose is lose. If we want to win it all, we have to go through DEN anyway, not to mention BOS will be waiting there in the final.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#16 » by Mavrelous » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:11 am

Mavs are favoured (slightly) for the 6th seed according to BBref for the 1st time in a very long time.
Mavs have 22nd worst schedule, all of the teams from 4 to 8 except the Mavs have top 10 worst schedule left, Suns and Kings, Mavs main rivals for 6th seed have the 2nd the 3rd worst remaining schedules.
On a side note, Suns can wake up any time now that they are healthy and GSW can creep if they smell blood in the water, Mavs must continue to take care of business, they have a brutal 5 road games, Jazz (very good home team), Kings twice (also good at home), Warriors and Rockets (great home team), schedule drops off after it, if the Mavs beat the Rockets on the road, and later at home, they'll have the tie breaker Vs the Pelicans.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#17 » by daoneandonly » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:22 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Mavs are favoured (slightly) for the 6th seed according to BBref for the 1st time in a very long time.
Mavs have 22nd worst schedule, all of the teams from 4 to 8 except the Mavs have top 10 worst schedule left, Suns and Kings, Mavs main rivals for 6th seed have the 2nd the 3rd worst remaining schedules.
On a side note, Suns can wake up any time now that they are healthy and GSW can creep if they smell blood in the water, Mavs must continue to take care of business, they have a brutal 5 road games, Jazz (very good home team), Kings twice (also good at home), Warriors and Rockets (great home team), schedule drops off after it, if the Mavs beat the Rockets on the road, and later at home, they'll have the tie breaker Vs the Pelicans.

Houston is all of a sudden pretty good. I really hope we can avoid the play in at all costs. Such a stupid idea and i dont want to fight it out with lebron and/or steph in a pressure situation.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#18 » by Mavrelous » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:27 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Houston is all of a sudden pretty good. I really hope we can avoid the play in at all costs. Such a stupid idea and i dont want to fight it out with lebron and/or steph in a pressure situation.

Me too...
I'm glad the Mavs are winning, but I can't say they are overly convincing, the next 5 games will give us more clarity, if they go 3-2, they are legit.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#19 » by daoneandonly » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:03 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Houston is all of a sudden pretty good. I really hope we can avoid the play in at all costs. Such a stupid idea and i dont want to fight it out with lebron and/or steph in a pressure situation.

Me too...
I'm glad the Mavs are winning, but I can't say they are overly convincing, the next 5 games will give us more clarity, if they go 3-2, they are legit.

Yes cannot lose both to Sac, that would be sinking and sadly telling. I'd rather not play Den or LAC in the first round, but I'd take any of them over playing in the play in spot. Plus i want to give NYK the worst pick possible
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Post#20 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:20 pm

I don't fear Sac too much unless Fox goes crazy (but we have Dante for him), Sabonis will not face Powell and Kleber again.
He has no chances against Gafford and Lively, we can destroy them at rebounds.

Return to Dallas Mavericks