ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Spurs (Tuesd., 8:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Spurs (Tuesd., 8:30PMEST) 

Post#141 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:13 pm

Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:No one is claiming Maxi should be a starting C.
No one is saying MAxi should get 35 mpg.
No one is thinking Maxi is our next German lord and savior #41.
THJ is supposed to score efficiently to worth it on the floor, while Maxi's contribution isn't limited to PPG, but being able to defend adequately for 15mpg while opening up the spacing.

People bashing Maxi where he put up a +27 as if he messed up last night is simply wrong. This is a casual basketball fan mindset.
Maxi is a role player. His role is not scoring 20 points. His role is not being volume shooter. Mavs FO expects him to play some C minutes and some PF minutes. As a stretch-5, his success rate is not evaluated by shooting 6 3s. If Maxi plays in a game and improve offense while not giving up too much defense/rebounding, then its a success. That is a tool for Mavs to use sometimes 0 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes based on matchup. Maxi is not guarded like he's prime Klay Thompson, but he is not sagged off like Powell, Giddey, Gobert at the 3pt line.

Lively-Gafford >> Maxi
I am ecstatic to see those two centers in the playoffs. Its also good to have a stretch-5 in our pocket. There is a role of stretch-5. Against Denver, it might be 0 minutes, and against Wolves maybe its 15 minutes. In the last playoffs Maxi played great as a role player. I dont like his current shooting percentage but I am optimistic our long time Mavs player to ramp up again in playoffs. I dont expect him to play 35mpg and try six 3pt shots each game. Play 10 minutes shoot 2-3 times and that's fine. Important part is him to keep up in defense.

No one is bashing Maxi, you just chose to take it that way. We're saying a stretch 5 without taking open shots is not a stretch 5 but is simply a traditional center, which Maxi is bad at. He's a natural PF who can guard some of SF's and that is a nice luxury to have. But Kidd forcing small lineups with THj and Maxi at 5 is a recipe for disaster. I lost count how many leads Mavs lost because of that.

People were bashing Maxi. They think his contribution depends on the number of shots he takes.
This is not true. A stretch-5 who plays 10-20mpg doesn't need to take too many shots. C.Wood was taking too many shots, he didn't help winning at all.
* Be a decent 3-pt threat.
* Do not drop the defense too much.
Against Spurs Maxi was +27, which indicates he didn't **** up the defense, and he got some respect to his shot.

THJ lineups **** the Mavs most of the time.
Mavs made WCF without THJ.
THJ is defensive liability, if you add Maxi to this formula it sucks. I have written many times that Kidd shouldn't go Kyrie-Luka-THJ lineup + stretch-5. With Kyrie-Luka, I like 3 plus defenders. For 10-15mpg you can use Maxi to shake things up. But we should not use THJ+Maxi alongside the Luka-Kyrie.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,985

Post#142 » by Archx » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:24 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:No one is claiming Maxi should be a starting C.
No one is saying MAxi should get 35 mpg.
No one is thinking Maxi is our next German lord and savior #41.
THJ is supposed to score efficiently to worth it on the floor, while Maxi's contribution isn't limited to PPG, but being able to defend adequately for 15mpg while opening up the spacing.

People bashing Maxi where he put up a +27 as if he messed up last night is simply wrong. This is a casual basketball fan mindset.
Maxi is a role player. His role is not scoring 20 points. His role is not being volume shooter. Mavs FO expects him to play some C minutes and some PF minutes. As a stretch-5, his success rate is not evaluated by shooting 6 3s. If Maxi plays in a game and improve offense while not giving up too much defense/rebounding, then its a success. That is a tool for Mavs to use sometimes 0 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes based on matchup. Maxi is not guarded like he's prime Klay Thompson, but he is not sagged off like Powell, Giddey, Gobert at the 3pt line.

Lively-Gafford >> Maxi
I am ecstatic to see those two centers in the playoffs. Its also good to have a stretch-5 in our pocket. There is a role of stretch-5. Against Denver, it might be 0 minutes, and against Wolves maybe its 15 minutes. In the last playoffs Maxi played great as a role player. I dont like his current shooting percentage but I am optimistic our long time Mavs player to ramp up again in playoffs. I dont expect him to play 35mpg and try six 3pt shots each game. Play 10 minutes shoot 2-3 times and that's fine. Important part is him to keep up in defense.

No one is bashing Maxi, you just chose to take it that way. We're saying a stretch 5 without taking open shots is not a stretch 5 but is simply a traditional center, which Maxi is bad at. He's a natural PF who can guard some of SF's and that is a nice luxury to have. But Kidd forcing small lineups with THj and Maxi at 5 is a recipe for disaster. I lost count how many leads Mavs lost because of that.

People were bashing Maxi. They think his contribution depends on the number of shots he takes.
This is not true. A stretch-5 who plays 10-20mpg doesn't need to take too many shots. C.Wood was taking too many shots, he didn't help winning at all.
Against Spurs Maxi was +27, which indicates he didn't **** up the defense, and he got some respect to his shot.

THJ is defensive liability, if you add Maxi to this formula it sucks. I have written many times that Kidd shouldn't go Kyrie-Luka-THJ lineup + stretch-5. With Kyrie-Luka, I like 3 plus defenders. For 10-15mpg you can use Maxi to shake things up. But we should not use THJ+Maxi alongside the Luka-Kyrie.

Maxi +27, PJ -18. Another example how dumb +/- stats are. Specially when Maxi hardly did anything significant that impacted the game. No one is scared of Maxi's 3pt shooting. I literally showed you video how Spurs defended him. He's not a threat from range, we showed you multiple statistics of why he is not a threat. Yet you keep coming back with the same nonsense argument.

Read on Twitter
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#143 » by Bob8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:lol. yea its a funny nba forum, reddit, podcast expression. :lol:

An expression to diss people who love C.Wood but not like Maxi.

Difficult to love someone, who's averaging 2 points with 20% FG, 12.5% for 3 in last 10 games. I have a feeling that some casual basketball fans might be able to beat that. ;)

Fans cannot even beat a 3rd-stringer, bench-warmer of NBA squad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Professional players are so elite in this sport. Even a college athlete who cannot make it to the NBA would look like Kobe-Lebron-Luka-Giannis in any given gym.

Thinking C.Wood is good and Maxi is bad and then thinking an amateur can do better than an NBA player is peak casual clueless fandom.

You understand that I believe casual fans can play in Nba? :lol: But some can shoot better than our stretch 5 for sure.

Where did you find Wood now?
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#144 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:01 pm

Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Difficult to love someone, who's averaging 2 points with 20% FG, 12.5% for 3 in last 10 games. I have a feeling that some casual basketball fans might be able to beat that. ;)

Fans cannot even beat a 3rd-stringer, bench-warmer of NBA squad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Professional players are so elite in this sport. Even a college athlete who cannot make it to the NBA would look like Kobe-Lebron-Luka-Giannis in any given gym.

Thinking C.Wood is good and Maxi is bad and then thinking an amateur can do better than an NBA player is peak casual clueless fandom.

You understand that I believe casual fans can play in Nba? :lol: But some can shoot better than our stretch 5 for sure.

Asking a 10mpg stretch-5 to shoot 3s in volume is Wood-fan material.

You said this:
I have a feeling that some casual basketball fans might be able to beat that. ;)

No fan is scoring better in the NBA. This is not an open shot in the gym.
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#145 » by Swish77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:10 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

JG avg 7.6 mins in 16 out of 18 games during our 2022 WCF's run. IDK where you got he's a losing player. Seems like personal hate/Dislike of the player with no stats to back it up. But whatever helps you sleep at night. lol

Some people blame Josh for being taken ahead of Bane in the draft so they come up with all kinds of crap in an attempt to validate their point.

I'm not a big fan of Green but some of the hate on this board for him is beyond ridiculous.

To Teff: Not just Bane; Maxey, McDaniels, IQ. All far better. It snot like Josh puts in the work to improve his game, and his basketball IQ is below average

TO Swish: What did you miss exactly? Yeah he only played 7.6 min and thats why this team went far. WHen he's out there making boneheaded moves and letting guards like Tyus Jones blow past him like their prime Tony Parker, the team suffers. Not that hard to figure out. The more minutes he gets, the team misses the playoffs or fights for a play-in.

You said he didnt sniff any mins which isnt correct. He played.
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#146 » by Swish77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:13 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Fans cannot even beat a 3rd-stringer, bench-warmer of NBA squad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You said this:
I have a feeling that some casual basketball fans might be able to beat that. ;)

I agree with this guy lol Alot of Arm chair Head Coaches and Gm's in this fourms which I'm cool with. IF you think you can do a better job at coaching or being a GM go play NBA 2k lol
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#147 » by Swish77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:17 pm

Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Maxi +27, PJ -18. Another example how dumb +/- stats are. Specially when Maxi hardly did anything significant that impacted the game. No one is scared of Maxi's 3pt shooting. I literally showed you video how Spurs defended him. He's not a threat from range, we showed you multiple statistics of why he is not a threat. Yet you keep coming back with the same nonsense argument.

Read on Twitter

What do you not understand. Maxi's job isnt to shoot 3's every game. But you keep thinking thats his entire game.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#148 » by Bob8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:18 pm

Swish77 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

You said this:

I agree with this guy lol Alot of Arm chair Head Coaches and Gm's in this fourms which I'm cool with. IF you think you can do a better job at coaching or being a GM go play NBA 2k lol

Don't you think that those people are extremely well paid and can be criticised, if they fail? Like any manager in any industry is? And I hope you understand, whose money is actually paying them? ;)
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#149 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:22 pm

Swish77 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

You said this:

It's not a good support for your argument, that's sure :lol: :lol: :lol:
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#150 » by Swish77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:28 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Asking a 10mpg stretch-5 to shoot 3s in volume is Wood-fan material.

You said this:

Don't you think that those people are extremely well paid and can be criticised, if they fail? Like any manager in any industry is? And I hope you understand, whose money is actually paying them? ;)

Criticised for what? Nico has done an amazing job. Turn crap roster into a great roster. your acting like we are the worst team in the NBA. Like come on get real. Kidd has done an OK job not great but ok. But if luka wants kidd as HC then i'm good with it.
Swish77
Sophomore

Post#151 » by Swish77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:29 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Asking a 10mpg stretch-5 to shoot 3s in volume is Wood-fan material.

You said this:

I'm not a fan of arguing I just give my opinions thats all. Everything is Friendly here.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#152 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 pm

Swish77 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

I'm not a fan of arguing I just give my opinions thats all. Everything is Friendly here.

Yes of course :wink:
Bob8
General Manager

Post#153 » by Bob8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:43 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

Criticised for what? Nico has done an amazing job. Turn crap roster into a great roster. your acting like we are the worst team in the NBA. Like come on get real. Kidd has done an OK job not great but ok. But if luka wants kidd as HC then i'm good with it.

Please enlighten me, when were we talking about Nico in this thread? I was extremely impressed with trade deadline and we''re all seeing how Mavs rim protection and rebounding became elite after that and that's why we want to see Kleber on 5 as little as possible. Put PJ there, if going small is the only option.

There's no Nba without fans, there's no Realgm without invested basketball fans. Fans are in the end paying for all this show. And it's in the essence of being a fan to be happy, angry, disappointed, loud...
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,985

Post#154 » by Archx » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:24 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:People were bashing Maxi. They think his contribution depends on the number of shots he takes.

Read on Twitter

What do you not understand. Maxi's job isnt to shoot 3's every game. But you keep thinking thats his entire game.

What don't i understand?

For starters, i don't understand at which post exactly did you decided to join this debate and give us your opinion? Did you read through everything or not?

What exactly is Maxi's game? Please enlighten us. Defense? Rebounding? Drive and kick? Playing point forward? Shooting off the dribble? PnR point man? Slash guy? Catch&Shoot? Rim protection? Etc.... What is his game? Be on the floor and look pretty? :dontknow:

"Maxi's job isnt to shoot 3's every game"..... No ones job is to shoot 3s every game, specially if he's forcing it for the sake of shooting. I think that's actually quite clear to any of us "casuals" like Ozwizard would say. But i still don't know what made you believe that you have to tell us that?
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#155 » by Marko_MFFL » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:16 pm

Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Read on Twitter

Another example is Lively vs Nuggets with -18 (worst +/- in the team), but he played the best defense on Jokic in that game, Jokic shot 2-8 from the filed when Lively contested his shot.
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 684

Post#156 » by BliscoSantos » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:48 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
Archx wrote:Maxi is in the game to stretch the floor yet he passes on every single open look he gets. What a 5head strategy.

Yep...maybe Lively should Play instead...he did hit 13 in a row before the draft... wasn't that one of the reasons they were so impressed with him...I mean,he probably could hit the same amount as Maxi right now :D

Lively is far from a threat in the 3PT line. FT% can give you some clues on his shooting ability. I know there are some exceptions, e.g. Bruce Bowen. But this apply to majority.

I know he's not a threat...the point I was trying to make is that neither is Maxi...I know Kidd is probably trying to get his confidence up,get him going, but it's not like Mavs are a kock for the playoffs...you have to play the Players in form,that perform...Maxi is pretty bad right now

Return to Dallas Mavericks