ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Spurs (Tuesd., 8:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,043

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Spurs (Tuesd., 8:30PMEST) 

Post#121 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:13 pm

This team had its best playoff run when THJ and Josh Green did not sniff any minutes, thats not a coincidence. That speaks to who they are, losing basketball players
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#122 » by tleikheen » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:09 pm

daoneandonly

This team had its best playoff run when THJ and Josh Green did not sniff any minutes, thats not a coincidence. That speaks to who they are, losing basketball players

I see Josh Green getting some minutes (14-15) with Exum or Jones Jr just to keep constant pressure on opposing guards. His 6'5" speed and height and 40 percent corner 3's mesh so much better with Exum ,Jones and PJ on the perimeter .

THJ can go from 8 minutes to 30 minutes if he shows he's hot from the field to start the game . This changes how defenses have to play the rest of the game .Him ,Luka and kyrie hot from 3 at the same time .....game over.
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#123 » by Swish77 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:17 pm

tleikheen wrote:I keep wondering if you're watching the same games as the rest of us in regards to Maxi. He is not meeting the eye test. Just like THJ we're watching them closer because we want to see if the other team is going to attack them and in Kleber's case does it look like the Mavs are playing 4 on 5 against the other team.
It's the playoff push and I want to see the core 7 getting the minutes and playing time together . (Luka ,Kyrie,Dante,Gaff,Lively,PJ,& DJJ) with Green & THJ getting the 8th & 9th minutes , THEN Maxi as the 10th man . This is it going into playoff position.

I watch every single game. I haven't missed a Mavs game in 7 years. We had our best playoff run in the luka era with Maxi at the 5. IDK I played bball in high school and College. I just see things differently. That's not knocking anyone on here at all. IV never felt when Maxi is on the floor its 4 on 5. Mavs will not win anything if our rotation is 7 deep. 2022 WCF run Mavs rotations were 8 deep. 9 deep with Frankie Smokes playing in 12 games avg 11ish mins per game. IF you think we roll with 7 IDK what to tell you.
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#124 » by Swish77 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:23 pm

daoneandonly wrote:This team had its best playoff run when THJ and Josh Green did not sniff any minutes, thats not a coincidence. That speaks to who they are, losing basketball players

JG avg 7.6 mins in 16 out of 18 games during our 2022 WCF's run. IDK where you got he's a losing player. Seems like personal hate/Dislike of the player with no stats to back it up. But whatever helps you sleep at night. lol
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#125 » by Bob8 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:20 pm

Swish77 wrote:
tleikheen wrote:I keep wondering if you're watching the same games as the rest of us in regards to Maxi. He is not meeting the eye test. Just like THJ we're watching them closer because we want to see if the other team is going to attack them and in Kleber's case does it look like the Mavs are playing 4 on 5 against the other team.
It's the playoff push and I want to see the core 7 getting the minutes and playing time together . (Luka ,Kyrie,Dante,Gaff,Lively,PJ,& DJJ) with Green & THJ getting the 8th & 9th minutes , THEN Maxi as the 10th man . This is it going into playoff position.

I watch every single game. I haven't missed a Mavs game in 7 years. We had our best playoff run in the luka era with Maxi at the 5. IDK I played bball in high school and College. I just see things differently. That's not knocking anyone on here at all. IV never felt when Maxi is on the floor its 4 on 5. Mavs will not win anything if our rotation is 7 deep. 2022 WCF run Mavs rotations were 8 deep. 9 deep with Frankie Smokes playing in 12 games avg 11ish mins per game. IF you think we roll with 7 IDK what to tell you.

You're not the only one, who has played basketball. The main reason to play small ball is to play faster, more agile, score more from perimeter and provide better spacing. Kleber unfortunately is not doing anything from this list at good enough level. You basically sacrifice rim protection and rebounding for things that Kleber is not capable of doing.

Bottom line, Kleber should get some minutes as backup 4. He should play as C only if other team goes small and Mavs are unable to defend them with classical lineup. But even in that case I would rather play PJ on C.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,947

Post#126 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:33 pm

Swish77 wrote:

Yeah I'm sure that had nothing to do with Luka + Brunson and also Dimwiddie had his best season of his career. Brunson should be in the running for MVP now he's that good it's no surprise him and Luka did great things but he wasn't really ready before that year.

I still can't believe they made the WCF with Powell Maxi and Bertans as their big. You're giving the bigs way too much credit when it's the guards that deserve it. We were a terrible rebounding team and have been until we finally got a real center rotation. There should be no debate and who should play and who shouldn't but here we are thanks to Kidd and maybe the organization telling Kidd I don't know.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 850

Post#127 » by Teffer10 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:23 am

Swish77 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:This team had its best playoff run when THJ and Josh Green did not sniff any minutes, thats not a coincidence. That speaks to who they are, losing basketball players

JG avg 7.6 mins in 16 out of 18 games during our 2022 WCF's run. IDK where you got he's a losing player. Seems like personal hate/Dislike of the player with no stats to back it up. But whatever helps you sleep at night. lol

Some people blame Josh for being taken ahead of Bane in the draft so they come up with all kinds of crap in an attempt to validate their point.

I'm not a big fan of Green but some of the hate on this board for him is beyond ridiculous.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#128 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:24 am

Archx wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
I watched the entire game.Maxi played what the defense gave him. Did yes pass up open shots? Yes but he's always done that at times. But we don't need Maxi's scoring we need his defense. I thought he played well tbh. I believe he's still a stretch 5. He spreads to floor really really well for Luka and Kyrie. But I really like it when He's in the game with DL or DG. I'm not worry about Luka missing a ton of shots it happens its the NBA. Ill take a couple bad games from Luka the great games out weight the bad games by far.

Maxi at 5 is good for limited time if he's taking the shots, that's the entire argument here, but he's not. Nuggets didn't respect his shooting and neither did the Spurs. So what are your options then? You go big with more athletic units and more traditional center or keep forcing the issue with Maxi? Problem is, he's not a good rim protector and rebounder, which both Lively and Gafford are. So, would you sacrifice a bit of offense in order to maximize defense and rebounding? I say yes to that.

Why i prefer Gaff and Lively over Maxi? Because Mavs tried that for the past 2 seasons and they were bottom 5 team in rim protection and dead last rebounding team... again, TWO years in a row.

Mavs won vs Nuggets with defense and rebounds, they won their 2nd game in a row with defense. Which further proves my point that all out offense works for some teams but not for Mavs, which now we have large sample size over two seasons to prove the point.

No one is claiming Maxi should be a starting C.
No one is saying MAxi should get 35 mpg.
No one is thinking Maxi is our next German lord and savior #41.
THJ is supposed to score efficiently to worth it on the floor, while Maxi's contribution isn't limited to PPG, but being able to defend adequately for 15mpg while opening up the spacing.

People bashing Maxi where he put up a +27 as if he messed up last night is simply wrong. This is a casual basketball fan mindset.
Maxi is a role player. His role is not scoring 20 points. His role is not being volume shooter. Mavs FO expects him to play some C minutes and some PF minutes. As a stretch-5, his success rate is not evaluated by shooting 6 3s. If Maxi plays in a game and improve offense while not giving up too much defense/rebounding, then its a success. That is a tool for Mavs to use sometimes 0 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes based on matchup. Maxi is not guarded like he's prime Klay Thompson, but he is not sagged off like Powell, Giddey, Gobert at the 3pt line.

Lively-Gafford >> Maxi
I am ecstatic to see those two centers in the playoffs. Its also good to have a stretch-5 in our pocket. There is a role of stretch-5. Against Denver, it might be 0 minutes, and against Wolves maybe its 15 minutes. In the last playoffs Maxi played great as a role player. I dont like his current shooting percentage but I am optimistic our long time Mavs player to ramp up again in playoffs. I dont expect him to play 35mpg and try six 3pt shots each game. Play 10 minutes shoot 2-3 times and that's fine. Important part is him to keep up in defense.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#129 » by Bob8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:32 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
I watched the entire game.Maxi played what the defense gave him. Did yes pass up open shots? Yes but he's always done that at times. But we don't need Maxi's scoring we need his defense. I thought he played well tbh. I believe he's still a stretch 5. He spreads to floor really really well for Luka and Kyrie. But I really like it when He's in the game with DL or DG. I'm not worry about Luka missing a ton of shots it happens its the NBA. Ill take a couple bad games from Luka the great games out weight the bad games by far.

Maxi at 5 is good for limited time if he's taking the shots, that's the entire argument here, but he's not. Nuggets didn't respect his shooting and neither did the Spurs. So what are your options then? You go big with more athletic units and more traditional center or keep forcing the issue with Maxi? Problem is, he's not a good rim protector and rebounder, which both Lively and Gafford are. So, would you sacrifice a bit of offense in order to maximize defense and rebounding? I say yes to that.

Why i prefer Gaff and Lively over Maxi? Because Mavs tried that for the past 2 seasons and they were bottom 5 team in rim protection and dead last rebounding team... again, TWO years in a row.

Mavs won vs Nuggets with defense and rebounds, they won their 2nd game in a row with defense. Which further proves my point that all out offense works for some teams but not for Mavs, which now we have large sample size over two seasons to prove the point.

THJ is supposed to score efficiently to worth it on the floor, while Maxi's contribution isn't limited to PPG, but being able to defend adequately for 15mpg while opening up the spacing.

People bashing Maxi where he put up a +27 as if he messed up last night is simply wrong. This is a casual basketball fan mindset.
Maxi is a role player. His role is not scoring 20 points. His role is not being volume shooter. Mavs FO expects him to play some C minutes and some PF minutes. As a stretch-5, his success rate is not evaluated by shooting 6 3s. If Maxi plays in a game and improve offense while not giving up too much defense/rebounding, then its a success. That is a tool for Mavs to use sometimes 0 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes based on matchup. Maxi is not guarded like he's prime Klay Thompson, but he is not sagged off like Powell, Giddey, Gobert at the 3pt line.

Lively-Gafford >> Maxi
I am ecstatic to see those two centers in the playoffs. Its also good to have a stretch-5 in our pocket. There is a role of stretch-5. Against Denver, it might be 0 minutes, and against Wolves maybe its 15 minutes. In the last playoffs Maxi played great as a role player. I dont like his current shooting percentage but I am optimistic our long time Mavs player to ramp up again in playoffs.

I really like how you're saying, a casual basketball fan. I guess there are professional basketball fans too? :D
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#130 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:34 am

Swish77 wrote:

The alternatives were Powell, Boban, WCS and Moses Brown so yes Maxi was the best option at the C.

Do you see the difference with our this year roster?

And you're not the only one here who played basketball :wink:
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#131 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:48 am

I dont think Maxi is doing good this season. However, I think he's improving his performances. Coming out of injuries and finding rhythm is not easy as you get older. Maxi was a pretty good role player for Mavs in 2022 playoffs. He is not as important as starters and Gafford-Lively should take the most minutes at C.
Then again, its not rational to bash Maxi after a game he put up +27 in a 6-pt game. This is not like someone posting -3 and other one posting +5. Its not a minuscule +/- change. It was good to have him in this game. We didn't attack 4v5. Its not like D.Powell setting a pick at the top where no one defends him and two defender goes for the ball handler.

THJ needs to showcase why he is better at playing as SG or SF minutes over Hardy, Green, Exum, DJJ etc.
- Defensive liability and bad rebounder. So he is worse than Exum, Green, DJJ in these regards.
- THJ must provide an efficient volume scoring to prove his value.
In contrast, Exum doesn't need to score 15ppg to showcase his value because he has playmaking ability and he is not a defensive liability.

Playing a stretch-5 is positive as long as if stretch 5 can draw center out and not be a big defensive liability.
Wood was taking more shots, some fans here loved him. But he was net negative due to his defensive liability and he was taking too much shots which doesn't help spacing that much if you take the shots and not let guards create in that improved spacing.

For a role-player stretch-5, the goal is not making too much scoring but simply being adequate in defense and creating some spacing.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#132 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:50 am

Bob8 wrote:I really like how you're saying, a casual basketball fan. I guess there are professional basketball fans too? :D

lol. yea its a funny nba forum, reddit, podcast expression. :lol:

An expression to diss people who love C.Wood but not like Maxi.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#133 » by Bob8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:32 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:I really like how you're saying, a casual basketball fan. I guess there are professional basketball fans too? :D

Difficult to love someone, who's averaging 2 points with 20% FG, 12.5% for 3 in last 10 games. I have a feeling that some casual basketball fans might be able to beat that. ;)
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,043

Post#134 » by daoneandonly » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:21 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

Some people blame Josh for being taken ahead of Bane in the draft so they come up with all kinds of crap in an attempt to validate their point.

I'm not a big fan of Green but some of the hate on this board for him is beyond ridiculous.

To Teff: Not just Bane; Maxey, McDaniels, IQ. All far better. It snot like Josh puts in the work to improve his game, and his basketball IQ is below average

TO Swish: What did you miss exactly? Yeah he only played 7.6 min and thats why this team went far. WHen he's out there making boneheaded moves and letting guards like Tyus Jones blow past him like their prime Tony Parker, the team suffers. Not that hard to figure out. The more minutes he gets, the team misses the playoffs or fights for a play-in.
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#135 » by Marko_MFFL » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:26 am

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,985

Post#136 » by Archx » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:44 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

Lively-Gafford >> Maxi
I am ecstatic to see those two centers in the playoffs. Its also good to have a stretch-5 in our pocket. There is a role of stretch-5. Against Denver, it might be 0 minutes, and against Wolves maybe its 15 minutes. In the last playoffs Maxi played great as a role player. I dont like his current shooting percentage but I am optimistic our long time Mavs player to ramp up again in playoffs. I dont expect him to play 35mpg and try six 3pt shots each game. Play 10 minutes shoot 2-3 times and that's fine. Important part is him to keep up in defense.

No one is bashing Maxi, you just chose to take it that way. We're saying a stretch 5 without taking open shots is not a stretch 5 but is simply a traditional center, which Maxi is bad at. He's a natural PF who can guard some of SF's and that is a nice luxury to have. But Kidd forcing small lineups with THj and Maxi at 5 is a recipe for disaster. I lost count how many leads Mavs lost because of that.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#137 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:13 pm

Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Lively-Gafford >> Maxi

No one is bashing Maxi, you just chose to take it that way. We're saying a stretch 5 without taking open shots is not a stretch 5 but is simply a traditional center, which Maxi is bad at. He's a natural PF who can guard some of SF's and that is a nice luxury to have. But Kidd forcing small lineups with THj and Maxi at 5 is a recipe for disaster. I lost count how many leads Mavs lost because of that.

We are in 2024 and people continue to watch 1 PO serie from 2022... So Bullock was a sharpshooter, can we bring him back? :lol: :lol: :lol:
MassimoPayne
Freshman
And1: 69

Post#138 » by MassimoPayne » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:18 pm

I think a big point is also Maxi's confidence. You can tell in some posessions that he is struggling. Body language, etc.
He knows basically what forums like this say about him. He missed 16 3s straight and so on. He needs a couple of games and he's back. As a 4 with limited minutes, everyone is fine
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,947

Post#139 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:14 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:No one is claiming Maxi should be a starting C.

Lively-Gafford >> Maxi

We are in 2024 and people continue to watch 1 PO serie from 2022... So Bullock was a sharpshooter, can we bring him back? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well someone put Nick Van Exel on the all 2000 Mavs team thread I made because he had that one good series against the Kings in the playoffs, in 2003. He played 100 games as a Mav and averaged 12 ppg on poor shooting percentages.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#140 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:08 pm

Bob8 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

Difficult to love someone, who's averaging 2 points with 20% FG, 12.5% for 3 in last 10 games. I have a feeling that some casual basketball fans might be able to beat that. ;)

Fans cannot even beat a 3rd-stringer, bench-warmer of NBA squad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Professional players are so elite in this sport. Even a college athlete who cannot make it to the NBA would look like Kobe-Lebron-Luka-Giannis in any given gym.

Thinking C.Wood is good and Maxi is bad and then thinking an amateur can do better than an NBA player is peak casual clueless fandom.

Return to Dallas Mavericks