Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,989

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Kings (10PMEST) 

Post#81 » by Archx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:39 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Swish77 wrote:Kings play fast. We must match there fast paced play as well.

Why though? Luka played 41 mins and you want to outrun the team who wants teams to run with them? That's completely the opposite of what you want to do in tough games. Play at your own pace, slow it down and let Luka kill them in half court. More pace = more running and less chance to set up the defenses. Kings are not exactly known for a great half court defense, so running with them makes no sense.

Great win last night. And we played kinda quick. 18 fast break points.

Mavs have 100.2 pace for the season, in this game both teams played at 99.6.

It's also hard to say from game to game, but in general if a team wants to outrun you specially like Pacers, you don't play by their own book, you simply force them to do your own thing. Nuggets with Jokic certainly don't want to walk right into other gameplans instead they play their own game. They play at only 96.7 pace and are NBA champs. Plus they have 6th best offense while Mavs have 7th best offense. Luka is basically a smaller version of Jokic, you build and play around them and force opposing teams the same.

For the record, Mavs already play with 7th best pace at the moment. And their overall record (due to various factors) wasn't so brilliant. But they are playing the fastest since the 86-87 season. Is this a good or a bad thing? Hard to say, trades kinda messed everything up but they are on the right path right now. They are a more athletic and versatile team for sure.
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,407

Post#82 » by gottamakeit » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:51 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Man we can't trade for no top 10 SF like Bridges. Just watch the best we can hope for is like DFS comes back.

I'd take DFS back in a heartbeat.
If he's unattainable, i'd go for Torrey Craig
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,044

Post#83 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:00 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Man we can't trade for no top 10 SF like Bridges. Just watch the best we can hope for is like DFS comes back.

I know DFS is older and regressed, but if BKN would trade him for Green, do it and dont look back Mavs
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#84 » by Swish77 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:10 pm

Archx wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Why though? Luka played 41 mins and you want to outrun the team who wants teams to run with them? That's completely the opposite of what you want to do in tough games. Play at your own pace, slow it down and let Luka kill them in half court. More pace = more running and less chance to set up the defenses. Kings are not exactly known for a great half court defense, so running with them makes no sense.

Great win last night. And we played kinda quick. 18 fast break points.

Mavs have 100.2 pace for the season, in this game both teams played at 99.6.

It's also hard to say from game to game, but in general if a team wants to outrun you specially like Pacers, you don't play by their own book, you simply force them to do your own thing. Nuggets with Jokic certainly don't want to walk right into other gameplans instead they play their own game. They play at only 96.7 pace and are NBA champs. Plus they have 6th best offense while Mavs have 7th best offense. Luka is basically a smaller version of Jokic, you build and play around them and force opposing teams the same.

For the record, Mavs already play with 7th best pace at the moment. And their overall record (due to various factors) wasn't so brilliant. But they are playing the fastest since the 86-87 season. Is this a good or a bad thing? Hard to say, trades kinda messed everything up but they are on the right path right now. They are a more athletic and versatile team for sure.

Thank you for your opinion. Again Good win last night.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,860

Post#85 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:22 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

I know DFS is older and regressed, but if BKN would trade him for Green, do it and dont look back Mavs

Lol, **** that. Trade a 23 yo, high efficiency shooter with some challenges but who still has room to develop and is probably worth a FRP for an inefficiently shooting 30yo, that has definitely hit his ceiling a few years ago, and would never command a FRP.
Thank god you're nowhere near the Mavs decision making.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Post#86 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:30 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:

Lol, **** that. Trade a 23 yo, high efficiency shooter with some challenges but who still has room to develop and is probably worth a FRP for an inefficiently shooting 30yo, that has definitely hit his ceiling a few years ago, and would never command a FRP.
Thank god you're nowhere near the Mavs decision making.

Yes i'm not sold on DFS-Green trade too, i hope Josh has some trade value.

DFS worths 2/3 SRPs at max just like Royce O'Neale. Nothing more. We can trade for players like them every day.

Probably i'm a dreamer and Josh is just a mediocre basketball player :lol:
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#87 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:37 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

DFS worths 2/3 SRPs at max just like Royce O'Neale. Nothing more. We can trade for players like them every day.

Yea that's the thing 41, he's indeed mediocre at best.

Yet he still has groupies (like some guy who apparently quoted me despite being on my ignore list) who think he's solid even though every thing is showing the team is better without him, despite having a lack of wings
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#88 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:38 pm

And Josh Green probably worth a FRP, laugh of the century
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Post#89 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:05 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Yet he still has groupies (like some guy who apparently quoted me despite being on my ignore list) who think he's solid even though every thing is showing the team is better without him, despite having a lack of wings

The fact that a vet min guy like DJJ outplayed him is not good for sure... But i liked a lot Nico moves so far, if he trust in Josh maybe they saw something that we can't see. I don't know.

Or maybe they just waiting for a good trade :lol:
BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,039

Post#90 » by BeiBeau » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:10 pm

I officially think Hardy is better then THJ in just about every category expect volume shooting. I think trading THJ to any team that could use some shooting for scraps would he addition by subtraction.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,989

Post#91 » by Archx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:43 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I think Mavs view Green quite highly because they could have used him in either Gafford or PJ trade. Instead they rather used the picks. That basically tells you they still view him as an integral part of the team, which he is.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#92 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:21 pm

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

I think Mavs view Green quite highly because they could have used him in either Gafford or PJ trade. Instead they rather used the picks. That basically tells you they still view him as an integral part of the team, which he is.

Im not seeing the why, whenever I post a trade on the T&T board the general consensus is Mavs owe more because Josh is not a positive asset.

I'd rather have our 2027 pick than Green, or even the not losing the 28 pick swap for that matter

But hey, we can all be happy with the recent play of the team. As long as they can avoid the play-in and finish top 6, ill be a happy camper.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 pm

daoneandonly wrote:And Josh Green probably worth a FRP, laugh of the century

Well CHA wanted him instead of the FRP swap and Mavs FO declined and other teams were interested but of course that is too much logic for you to deduct.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#94 » by daoneandonly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:36 pm

Media is really hyping up Dallas and going after Sacramento. Hopefully this doesn't jinx us or go to their heads.

Stay focused, play D, let Gaff and Lively get their minutes , limit THJ, and tell Josh to stay home.
GermanFan120
Analyst
And1: 1,100

Post#95 » by GermanFan120 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:33 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I agree with your assessment on Green, as well as ignoring that some guy. All those praise he made about Green is nothing but completely nonsense and horsepoopoo.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#96 » by leolozon » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:42 pm

Bob8 wrote:
leolozon wrote:Great win!

People keep saying that the Mavs have an easy schedule. Let’s not forget that they play twice the two teams that have the most to lose right now (Warriors and Rockets). They will be desperate which is very dangerous.

Sure, but look at Suns schedule. ;)

They are playing 10 teams with better record. SOS 0.645.

Oh yeah, I’m not worried about the Suns. I’m eying one of the Pels or Clippers. Plus, I’ll be worried about the Kings IF they win friday.

5th seed would be great. If only the Cavs didn’t go crazy from three. :lol:

But the Rockets are better than a normal .500 teams considering how they’ve been playing lately.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#97 » by daoneandonly » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 am

GermanFan120 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

I agree with your assessment on Green, as well as ignoring that some guy. All those praise he made about Green is nothing but completely nonsense and horsepoopoo.

Exactly!
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#98 » by Maverick41 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

Something I find very interesting is our vastly improved defense since Josh Green went down. Both DJJ and Exum have taken those minutes and they are far better defensive players. Most particular is their vastly superior screen navitation skills. Green while very active visually on defense, got lost on screens or just trucked way too often. It's very hard to play drop coverage defense like Lively and Gafford have been doing if the primary ball defender is constantly losing his guy or not able to get back to rotate because he got demolished from a screen.

To be clear for the younger folk, I'm not "hating" on Green. I think he's still useful this year as a depth piece. I do think Exum and DJJ have easily supplanted him on the depth chart at this point though. Wouldn't be surprised if he has DNPs even when he gets back as we're at the point of the year where we need to tighten the rotation.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

GermanFan120 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

I´m glad that two largest producers of nonsensical, fact-free posts have found each other :lol: Anyone who thinks DFS is worth a FRP and is worth trading a 7 years younger, better shooter needs to spend some serious time with a neurologist.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

Maverick41 wrote:Something I find very interesting is our vastly improved defense since Josh Green went down. Both DJJ and Exum have taken those minutes and they are far better defensive players. Most particular is their vastly superior screen navitation skills. Green while very active visually on defense, got lost on screens or just trucked way too often. It's very hard to play drop coverage defense like Lively and Gafford have been doing if the primary ball defender is constantly losing his guy or not able to get back to rotate because he got demolished from a screen.

To be clear for the younger folk, I'm not "hating" on Green. I think he's still useful this year as a depth piece. I do think Exum and DJJ have easily supplanted him on the depth chart at this point though. Wouldn't be surprised if he has DNPs even when he gets back as we're at the point of the year where we need to tighten the rotation.

Besides the screen nagivation issue, that Green really needs to work on, the main advantage is they´re both bigger bodies (Exum almost has a Luka-esque wide body) and DJJ is a much better rebounder - I´ve been saying for the last decade that we have to play bigger.
Then again Green has come through clutch time and again this year with big 3s at a high % for example. It can never hurt having more shooting pieces. And he´s a defensive revelation compared to THJ.

Return to Dallas Mavericks