3. Embiid
4. Luka
5. Lebron
6. Tatum
7. Curry
8. Durant
9. Shai Gilgeous Alexander
10. Victor Wembanyama

Now obviously this list will change as time passes but right now - this is my list of top ten franchise players currenly. These are guys - because of their combination of age, skills, size, potential, and accomplishments - I would most likely build my team around. It doesn't mean they aren't other players more talented and or more deserving to be a franchise player -but being the face has a lot of things that go into it.

Obvious Giannis is #1. He's skinny Majin Buu (dragon ball z reference) and just is a force on both sides of the court. His athleticism gives him versatility like no other. Jokic is just a very talent basketball player and could easily be #1. A very skilled big man who plays the right way. Isn't as good a defender as Giannis but isn't a slouch either. When Embiid is healthy - his strength and touch is unmatched. With the right supporting cast and injury free - he's a force to be reckon with. Luka for guys 6'6+ is probably the most skilled offensive player in the league. The patience, the passing, the step back, and his ability to get the shot he wants is overall the best in the game right now. His defense is steadily getting better. His leadership and will to win still needs to take that next step- if he wants to be the best - he has to take the crown, it wont be given. Lebron at his age (posting the numbers that he does) speaks volumes. People forget he was just in the WCF last year. He was 1 series away from another finals appearance at age 38. Tatum isn't as offensively refined but at 6'9 he can put the ball in the basket. He also competes on the other end. He doesn't have the extensive offensive skill set as a Luka nor has he shown the type of leadership as a Lebron but on potential and scoring ability he has to be up there. Curry is obvious older but he's still producing at a high level. His style of play (ala Reggie miller) still allows for him to be the system. Just doesn't have the pieces around him late in his career. Durant still putting up great numbers late in his career. Quietly avg 27ppg while shooting 53% from the 2 and 42% from the 3. He doesn't have the quickness like he use to as he ages but if you put the right pieces - he is still a top guy imo. I'm not super big on Shia (too may touch calls) but you cannot deny his success in OKC. At his size (6-6'6'7) ,age (25), and skillset - you have to give him credit and put him on this list. Also he does it quietly, you do not hear anything out of him negative. Lastly, Victor is the face of the Spurs and may be the face of the league 5 years from now. Based on his age, skillset, and potential - the sky's the limit.

There were other guys who could have made this list...Anthony Edwards...A. Davis...Brunson..but for one reason or another I just think they weren't ready to be the franchise guy or maybe they lacked something...in Brunson's case or Young's - the ability to maintain a certain level of play at that size. A.Davis obviously the injuries and inconsistent play b/c of it. Edwards is a very good player but not quite in a leadership role and hasn't established himself as the face of a franchise just yet. Obviously guys like Fox and Halliburton are guys who will be considered one day but I just don't think they have reached that level of consistency yet....All the guys on my list have got or are currently getting legit MVP consideration.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,445

Re: My Top Ten Franchise Player Rankings 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:50 am

#1 is Jokic and it's not close, like at all, Jokic is younger, much less reliant on Athleticism, and is better right now already than Giannis.
Giannis only successful PO run came when all of the league was injured, and he had a very easy path, he was on his way out against Harden-less Nets, and it took Kyrie also to go down AND KD being 1/2 and inch over the 3pt line for him to advance.
If Luka had lineup of Jrue/Allen/Luka/Middleton/Lopez and was ousted in the 1st round against 8th seed he would be ridiculed, every Mavs fan had to endure this ridicule from 2007 to 2011.
Embiid is way lower, massive injury concern and never delivered in the PO, the man lost to the Hawks in 21, got bitchslapped by Miami in 22 and blew 3-2 lead on the Celtics in 23, he had enough opportunities, and oddly enough, everyone else on his team got the blame.
LeBron and Steph are simply too old right now and their age is showing in their teams success, KD is actually the best player on the Suns on both ends, he just doesn't have the team around him.

For me:
#1 Jokic
#2 Luka
#3 Giannis
#4 Tatum
#5 Durant
#6 SGA
#7 ANT
#8 Anthony Davis -- best 2 way player in the game until Wemby matures
#9 Embiid
#10 Wemby -- simply upside pick, he looks like a generational defender, can do all the regular off ball big stuff at the highest level AND has on ball game to boot.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,848

Post#3 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 pm

#1 Jokic
#2 Luka
#3 Embiid
#4 A.Davis
#5 SGA (but he needs to show how good he is in PO too)
#6 Tatum
#7 Giannis
#8 KD
#9 Butler
#10 Edwards

Maybe i forgot someone, they are the first 10 in my ind right now :lol:
joesha1698
Junior
And1: 115

Post#4 » by joesha1698 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:#1 Jokic
#2 Luka
#3 Embiid
#4 A.Davis
#6 Tatum
#7 Giannis
#8 KD
#9 Butler
#10 Edwards

Come on, you really taking SGA and A. Davis over Giannis? You know A. Davis didn't really lead a team anywhere without Lebron. He had help too. He just doens't have the motor, will power, or the body that can hold up.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 pm

joesha1698 wrote:
#2 Luka
#3 Embiid
#4 A.Davis
#6 Tatum
#7 Giannis
#8 KD
#9 Butler
#10 Edwards

Come on, you really taking SGA and A. Davis over Giannis? You know A. Davis didn't really lead a team anywhere without Lebron. He had help too. He just doens't have the motor, will power, or the body that can hold up.

No respect for Davis,an healthy AD is 3X the player Giannis will ever be.

Regular season Giannis is awesome... PO (or FIBA) Giannis is another player.

Nobody win alone, Giannis had Jrue, Middleton, Brook plus a hell of roster and played the Finals against the Suns. You know how Luka destroyed almost alone the Suns, right?

I know SGA is too high but the kid is amazing, it's my gamble. We will see in PO.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,232

Post#6 » by dygaction » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
#2 Luka
#3 Embiid
#4 A.Davis
#6 Tatum
#7 Giannis
#8 KD
#9 Butler
#10 Edwards

Nobody win alone, Giannis had Jrue, Middleton, Brook plus a hell of roster and played the Finals against the Suns. You know how Luka destroyed almost alone the Suns, right?

I know SGA is too high but the kid is amazing, it's my gamble. We will see in PO.

AD won 1 playoff series in 7 years when he was the alpha... Him on Bucks would not have gotten the job done but Giannis on 20 Lakers with LeBron likely they still would win.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 pm

dygaction wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

AD won 1 playoff series in 7 years when he was the alpha... Him on Bucks would not have gotten the job done but Giannis on 20 Lakers with LeBron likely they still would win.

I respect your opinions but i still remain on AD better basketball player than Giannis....

Return to Dallas Mavericks