ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Rockets (Sund., 7PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,068

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Rockets (Sund., 7PMEST) 

Post#81 » by Archx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:58 am

kacey ring wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Who minutes do Green take when he comes back? Maxi?

He’ll take Hardy’s minutes. He was playing over him before the injury.

And Exum probably.

In reality THJ's minutes should be split between Green and Exum. We saw another game today how lead rapidly went downhill with Maxi, THJ, Kyrie and Luka.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,582

Post#82 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:45 am

The team didn't have the privilege of having stretches where they can test out different lineups, today they had that chance.
I would've loved it much more if Kidd tried Maxi/PJ/Luka frontcourt combination, but he opted for 4 guards lineup, hopefully more experiments to come in the final 8 games, this is a newly assembled team, they need to have reps with different options.
When Luka's stepback is on, he's the best player in the world, absolute torture chamber to any defense you throw at him.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#83 » by Michaellam1987 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:29 am

Mavrelous wrote:The team didn't have the privilege of having stretches where they can test out different lineups, today they had that chance.
I would've loved it much more if Kidd tried Maxi/PJ/Luka frontcourt combination, but he opted for 4 guards lineup, hopefully more experiments to come in the final 8 games, this is a newly assembled team, they need to have reps with different options.
When Luka's stepback is on, he's the best player in the world, absolute torture chamber to any defense you throw at him.

No point to test the small ball lineup, Maxi at C just wont work, as proved many many time before already. Lively is injured, so Maxi minute going up is understandable. However, why Gafford minute is lowered the same time. In today's game, if we continue to play Gafford/PJ/Kyrie for 2-3 more minutes in early 4th quarter, when the lead is around 29 points, I am sure Luka wont need to check back in at all, and we can keep both Kyrie/Luka minutes to lower than 30 minutes.
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#84 » by Michaellam1987 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:42 am

Archx wrote:
kacey ring wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:Who minutes do Green take when he comes back? Maxi?

He’ll take Hardy’s minutes. He was playing over him before the injury.

And Exum probably.

In reality THJ's minutes should be split between Green and Exum. We saw another game today how lead rapidly went downhill with Maxi, THJ, Kyrie and Luka.

The only advantage of THJ over Green/Exum is his ability to be volume scorer/shooter, but if his 3 ball is not falling, he shouldn't be on the court at all.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#85 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:43 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:The team didn't have the privilege of having stretches where they can test out different lineups, today they had that chance.

No point to test the small ball lineup, Maxi at C just wont work, as proved many many time before already. Lively is injured, so Maxi minute going up is understandable. However, why Gafford minute is lowered the same time. In today's game, if we continue to play Gafford/PJ/Kyrie for 2-3 more minutes in early 4th quarter, when the lead is around 29 points, I am sure Luka wont need to check back in at all, and we can keep both Kyrie/Luka minutes to lower than 30 minutes.

There absolutely is a point, Mavs have traditionally played 5 out in the PO, and punched way above their weight doing that, even if they are going away from that scheme, they must practice it and have it as an option, I just don't think it's wise to try it w/o PJ.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#86 » by Michaellam1987 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:55 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:

There absolutely is a point, Mavs have traditionally played 5 out in the PO, and punched way above their weight doing that, even if they are going away from that scheme, they must practice it and have it as an option, I just don't think it's wise to try it w/o PJ.

This only works when Maxi is at his record high confidence offensively, as known as the time vs UTAH in the playoff. However, the Maxi now is at his worst shooting the 3 ball, so afraid to have the ball on his hand, tried to drive the ball 1 or 2 times, but usually resulted into TOs. Bad screener overall, that often need some extra bunch and easily lead to offensive foul. Poor rebounder as well. You can see HOU double team hard on Luka w/o Lively or Gafford on the court, since everyone know Maxi will only shoot when he is wide open.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#87 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:08 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:This only works when Maxi is at his record high confidence offensively, as known as the time vs UTAH in the playoff. However, the Maxi now is at his worst shooting the 3 ball, so afraid to have the ball on his hand, tried to drive the ball 1 or 2 times, but usually resulted into TOs. Bad screener overall, that often need some extra bunch and easily lead to offensive foul. Poor rebounder as well. You can see HOU double team hard on Luka w/o Lively or Gafford on the court, since everyone know Maxi will only shoot when he is wide open.

Maxi played bad also in March 22, and his advanced stats as a 5 were always bad in RS.
5 out small ball isn't the team's bread an butter, this team is clearly different now, it's a big team that plays physical, protects the paint and works hard on the glass, but every team needs a curve ball.
I love this version of the team, but they looked helpless against good stretch 5s, whether it was BOS, IND or to lesser extent MIL, and teams will go small against them in the PO, I can't imagine Diagnault just forfeiting a series because Gafford, Lively and PJ are bullying his team, he'll go small and start firing 3s.
The team also rarely switches all screens, they are protecting Luka and Kyrie now, but they need to practice that for closing minutes in the PO, because they will need it, and with Gafford it may not be a great idea.
There are many things Kidd needs to prepare for, have reps on video to review before going into the PO, a game you're up 30 is a good time for it.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,853

Post#88 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:12 am

Easy game, the Rockets kids are funny but this is a league men.

I miss ozwizard8 signature about Mavs standing... I hope he will come back later or soon. Probably after the next Mavs loss. Like always. :lol:
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#89 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:44 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Easy game, the Rockets kids are funny but this is a league men.

I miss ozwizard8 signature about Mavs standing... I hope he will come back later or soon. Probably after the next Mavs loss. Like always. :lol:

Let's enjoy the ride and not call out posters for their takes, we've all been wrong before.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,054

Post#90 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:47 pm

Always good to beat Houston. Hopefully the momentum can continue and Lively is okay
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,510

Post#91 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:56 pm

60/21/10
Archx
RealGM

Post#92 » by Archx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:16 pm

Similar to what i posted the other day. These new lineup stats are simply incredible with the new additions.

Read on Twitter
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,129

Post#93 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:21 pm

Archx wrote:Similar to what i posted the other day. These new lineup stats are simply incredible with the new additions.

Read on Twitter

Lively may have a better ceiling but Gafford at the moment is way better.

And I have been saying DJJ is better than Green, ALL DAY!
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#94 » by Swish77 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:48 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:

Now's the time to test. We are winning and playing at a very high level. Now we can Test things in short stints to see if it clicks.I haven't heard anything on lively has anyone seen anything yet?
Archx
RealGM

Post#95 » by Archx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:06 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:Similar to what i posted the other day. These new lineup stats are simply incredible with the new additions.

Read on Twitter

Yeah Gafford is much stronger at the moment and it shows because he doesn't get bullied as easily as Lively sometimes plus he's obviously more experienced and has great position on the floor. I also think Lively in time will be better.

About Green, well, his name is always up there with the best lineups, no matter if starting or not. The thing is, his individual numbers might not be that great but at this point it's really not coincidence anymore. He simply fits and that's the most important thing. He works his ass off and hits 3s at 40%. DJJ might be better as a starter and closer but Green still has his value.

I mean look at this.

K. Irving - T. Hardaway Jr. - D. Jones Jr. - M. Kleber - L. Doncic lineup has -16.7 net

But... if we replace THJ with Green, the same lineup goes to +28.8 net.

So, we have few people here **** on Green like he's the worst player on earth but reality is, he simply fits in a lot of lineup combinations because he does little things that benefit the actual outcome.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#96 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:10 pm

60/21/10
Archx
RealGM

Post#97 » by Archx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:14 pm

Dirk wrote:

If opposing team see THJ play any resemblence of a defense i think they should just pack their bags and go home. :D
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#98 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:19 pm

Archx wrote:
Dirk wrote:

If opposing team see THJ play any resemblence of a defense i think they should just pack their bags and go home. :D

Looking at the video, he missed a pass here:

I guess it underlines why some players are just better than others.

It's just one play, but Green looks bad there.

I only noticed the play because of the rare shot clock violation.
60/21/10
Archx
RealGM

Post#99 » by Archx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:34 pm

Dirk wrote:
Archx wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Looking at the video, he missed a pass here:

I guess it underlines why some players are just better than others.

It's just one play, but Green looks bad there.

I only noticed the play because of the rare shot clock violation.

You thinking Green missed a pass or THJ would have been late?

Because if you look at THJ's head turning, he saw the corner guy. So even if you thinking Green would pass i think THJ would rotate in time. He did good on this play. Luka was almost at fault because he almost rotated too far to the other side but they all nicely recovered. Also, Lively's ability to stay with faster guards was the key in the entire sequence.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,129

Post#100 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:39 pm

Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah Gafford is much stronger at the moment and it shows because he doesn't get bullied as easily as Lively sometimes plus he's obviously more experienced and has great position on the floor. I also think Lively in time will be better.

About Green, well, his name is always up there with the best lineups, no matter if starting or not. The thing is, his individual numbers might not be that great but at this point it's really not coincidence anymore. He simply fits and that's the most important thing. He works his ass off and hits 3s at 40%. DJJ might be better as a starter and closer but Green still has his value.

I mean look at this.

K. Irving - T. Hardaway Jr. - D. Jones Jr. - M. Kleber - L. Doncic lineup has -16.7 net

But... if we replace THJ with Green, the same lineup goes to +28.8 net.

So, we have few people here **** on Green like he's the worst player on earth but reality is, he simply fits in a lot of lineup combinations because he does little things that benefit the actual outcome.

I think you might be drawing the wrong conclusion.

Looking at the numbers above, it may not be how good Green is, but how terrible THJ is as a defender. lol
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

Return to Dallas Mavericks