ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Rockets (Sund., 7PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,004

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Rockets (Sund., 7PMEST) 

Post#101 » by Archx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:01 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

Lively may have a better ceiling but Gafford at the moment is way better.

And I have been saying DJJ is better than Green, ALL DAY!

Yeah Gafford is much stronger at the moment and it shows because he doesn't get bullied as easily as Lively sometimes plus he's obviously more experienced and has great position on the floor. I also think Lively in time will be better.

About Green, well, his name is always up there with the best lineups, no matter if starting or not. The thing is, his individual numbers might not be that great but at this point it's really not coincidence anymore. He simply fits and that's the most important thing. He works his ass off and hits 3s at 40%. DJJ might be better as a starter and closer but Green still has his value.

I mean look at this.

K. Irving - T. Hardaway Jr. - D. Jones Jr. - M. Kleber - L. Doncic lineup has -16.7 net

But... if we replace THJ with Green, the same lineup goes to +28.8 net.

So, we have few people here **** on Green like he's the worst player on earth but reality is, he simply fits in a lot of lineup combinations because he does little things that benefit the actual outcome.

I think you might be drawing the wrong conclusion.

Looking at the numbers above, it may not be how good Green is, but how terrible THJ is as a defender. lol

DRTg in that lineup with Green is 106.3 which would equal one of the best in the league, while ORTG is 135.

You can even switch out DJJ in the same lineup and leave THJ in with Green and NETrtg is still +16.7.

You can try hard to discredit Green but like i said, if it was 1 example size, maybe, but it's not. Dude just somehow fits by giving Kidd some extra flexibility on guard or small wing positions.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,110

Post#102 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:33 pm

Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Yeah Gafford is much stronger at the moment and it shows because he doesn't get bullied as easily as Lively sometimes plus he's obviously more experienced and has great position on the floor. I also think Lively in time will be better.

About Green, well, his name is always up there with the best lineups, no matter if starting or not. The thing is, his individual numbers might not be that great but at this point it's really not coincidence anymore. He simply fits and that's the most important thing. He works his ass off and hits 3s at 40%. DJJ might be better as a starter and closer but Green still has his value.

I mean look at this.

K. Irving - T. Hardaway Jr. - D. Jones Jr. - M. Kleber - L. Doncic lineup has -16.7 net

So, we have few people here **** on Green like he's the worst player on earth but reality is, he simply fits in a lot of lineup combinations because he does little things that benefit the actual outcome.

Looking at the numbers above, it may not be how good Green is, but how terrible THJ is as a defender. lol

DRTg in that lineup with Green is 106.3 which would equal one of the best in the league, while ORTG is 135.

You can even switch out DJJ in the same lineup and leave THJ in with Green and NETrtg is still +16.7.

You can try hard to discredit Green but like i said, if it was 1 example size, maybe, but it's not. Dude just somehow fits by giving Kidd some extra flexibility on guard or small wing positions.

Discredit? What credit does Green deserve during this awesome winning streak? The team literally plays better without Green and his absence is not really missed by any means. This has nothing to do with sample size or not. This has been proven correct.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#103 » by Marko_MFFL » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:39 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

Discredit? What credit does Green deserve during this awesome winning streak? The team literally plays better without Green and his absence is not really missed by any means. This has nothing to do with sample size or not. This has been proven correct.

How do you know we wouldn't have looked even better on this winning streak if Green hadn't been hurt?
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach

Post#104 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:41 pm

Marko_MFFL wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:

How do you know we wouldn't have looked even better on this winning streak if Green hadn't been hurt?

Maybe we will and maybe we won't. But who is missing him right now? I don't. DJJ is good enough to have his minutes and it works very good.
Archx
RealGM

Post#105 » by Archx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:47 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

I have given you an example that Green can and was playing winning basketball.

Green gives Mavs more depth, that's as simple as an explanation that i can give... Mavs FO has a ton of people who get paid insane amount of $$$ and i am pretty confident those people came to a conclusion it's smarter to trade a draft pick for PJ instead of Green who Hornets so wanted since the start of the season.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach

Post#106 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:56 pm

Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Green gives Mavs more depth, that's as simple as an explanation that i can give... Mavs FO has a ton of people who get paid insane amount of $$$ and i am pretty confident those people came to a conclusion it's smarter to trade a draft pick for PJ instead of Green who Hornets so wanted since the start of the season.

Green gives more depth. 100%.

But not by a mile. Same thing can be said about THJ Maxi and Hardy.

No one will disagree that if the FO manages to flip THJ Maxi and Green for a strong wing defender will make us a true contender next year. We are so close to complete the puzzle right now.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,053

Post#107 » by BeiBeau » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:15 pm

Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Arch you can’t use logic with these people when it comes to green. It doesn’t matter to them that Dallas is a better team with Green on the floor, or that an efficient shooter and a plus defender is a good complement to Kyrie and Luka. The well has been poisoned on Green.

Even Chuck was on here yesterday defending THJ while dumping on green.
Archx
RealGM

Post#108 » by Archx » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:15 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

No one will disagree that if the FO manages to flip THJ Maxi and Green for a strong wing defender will make us a true contender next year. We are so close to complete the puzzle right now.

Well THJ, Maxi and Hardy are different story. They play different roles than Green or in Maxi's case, he plays different position. But in hindsight the more rotational pieces you have, the better. Still at the end of the day you have to sit down and analyse things and see what works and what doesn't.

I will always welcome an upgrade. I even told Daoneandonly many times that Green can be traded, his contract is not bad and Mavs already had a lot of interest from various teams about Green.

BeiBeau wrote:Arch you can’t use logic with these people when it comes to green. It doesn’t matter to them that Dallas is a better team with Green on the floor, or that an efficient shooter and a plus defender is a good complement to Kyrie and Luka. The well has been poisoned on Green.

Heh, appreciate the positive feedback. I try to do my best by also providing actual data to back up my claims. But you know it's easier to hate something for absolute no reason at all without even going too much into details.

People know i don't like THJ with a passion but in return i explained many times why he's not working for this team anymore. And i see some here just say "Green needs to be trade because he makes mistakes"... Like, what kind of reason is that lol? Even in the past few games DJJ made so many dumb mistakes it made my head hurt but no one talks about it, but when Green makes a mistake, there are 10 posts and always the same posters, it's just silly.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach

Post#109 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:21 pm

Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Well THJ, Maxi and Hardy are different story. They play different roles than Green or in Maxi's case, he plays different position. But in hindsight the more rotational pieces you have, the better. Still at the end of the day you have to sit down and analyse things and see what works and what doesn't.

I will always welcome an upgrade. I even told Daoneandonly many times that Green can be traded, his contract is not bad and Mavs already had a lot of interest from various teams about Green.

That's fair.

Two points for me to say as my last post about Green today:

1. Maybe I haven't seen enough, but out of the games I watched, Green never impressed me much as a defender. His energy is always amazing, but again he never really shut down any defensive assignments. And his three pointers are just ok to me. I'd prefer Exum to shoot on a wide open shot in the clutch moment than him for sure.

2. If one day Green is traded. Let's see what kind of return will we get. I doubt there will be much. But time will tell on this.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,849

Post#110 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:32 pm

We need all guys healthy in the PO to face every opponents... After those PO Nico will take important decisions. Some guys are on the edge.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,053

Post#111 » by BeiBeau » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:26 pm

Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:

BeiBeau wrote:Arch you can’t use logic with these people when it comes to green. It doesn’t matter to them that Dallas is a better team with Green on the floor, or that an efficient shooter and a plus defender is a good complement to Kyrie and Luka. The well has been poisoned on Green.

Heh, appreciate the positive feedback. I try to do my best by also providing actual data to back up my claims. But you know it's easier to hate something for absolute no reason at all without even going too much into details.

People know i don't like THJ with a passion but in return i explained many times why he's not working for this team anymore. And i see some here just say "Green needs to be trade because he makes mistakes"... Like, what kind of reason is that lol? Even in the past few games DJJ made so many dumb mistakes it made my head hurt but no one talks about it, but when Green makes a mistake, there are 10 posts and always the same posters, it's just silly.

I have DJJ as the better defender obviously but they’re not tiers apart. DJJ also lets guys ge to the rim.

And I agree on THJ, on a team with such consistent offensive production from Luka and Kyrie and now defensive consistency from 48 minutes of Gafford/Lively plus Exum, DJJ, Green, Maxi being positive and Luka/Kyrie not being negatives. THJ is just way too much variance. Yeah he shoots you to victory from 3 30% of the time, but 70% of the time he’s making you worse.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#112 » by Michaellam1987 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:49 am

GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

Lively may have a better ceiling but Gafford at the moment is way better.

And I have been saying DJJ is better than Green, ALL DAY!

I mean look at this.

THJ is both physically and mentally not gifted to be an at least average defender, what he can do is to draw offensive foul. That's all. He has not great length, not quick/mobile enough, not strong enough, making he unable to defend almost all kinds of players. Making it worse is that his focus is always on the offensive end, and dont have the mindset to play defense either individually or team defense. He is also not young anymore.

Green at least is quick and mobile. DJJ has length. Exum has the best basketball IQ among. Making them all better options to play on the court.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#113 » by Michaellam1987 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:09 am

Swish77 wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:The team didn't have the privilege of having stretches where they can test out different lineups, today they had that chance.
I would've loved it much more if Kidd tried Maxi/PJ/Luka frontcourt combination, but he opted for 4 guards lineup, hopefully more experiments to come in the final 8 games, this is a newly assembled team, they need to have reps with different options.
When Luka's stepback is on, he's the best player in the world, absolute torture chamber to any defense you throw at him.

No point to test the small ball lineup, Maxi at C just wont work, as proved many many time before already. Lively is injured, so Maxi minute going up is understandable. However, why Gafford minute is lowered the same time. In today's game, if we continue to play Gafford/PJ/Kyrie for 2-3 more minutes in early 4th quarter, when the lead is around 29 points, I am sure Luka wont need to check back in at all, and we can keep both Kyrie/Luka minutes to lower than 30 minutes.

Now's the time to test. We are winning and playing at a very high level. Now we can Test things in short stints to see if it clicks.I haven't heard anything on lively has anyone seen anything yet?

Test thing doesnt mean to play small ball and put Luka + Maxi as PF/C, with Hardy + THJ + Kyrie. All of us except only coach Kidd will know this would NOT work. What is the point by trying this?

We are leading by 24 points at the 7:23 mark. If Kidd insists to play Gafford/PJ/DJJ for 2-3 more minutes, I am sure the lead will keep or even grow to 30 points at the 5 min mark. HOU side will give up and release all the bench players. Then Luka can rest his left hamstring, no need to play in the 4th quarter at all. Kyrie can come out from the game earlier. Instead, Luka has come out to play at the 7:23 mark, and this small ball line up cost us to continue to play Luka/Kyrie for 5-6 minutes, until 1:58 mark, before they finally can come out from the game.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,759

Post#114 » by leolozon » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:19 am

Clippers Vs Mavs is getting closer to a sure thing. I'm getting tired of seeing them.

Best thing right now would be the Nuggets staying 2nd and the Mavs getting to 4.
MassimoPayne
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#115 » by MassimoPayne » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:15 am

We need everybody healthy for the playoffs. Including green. Just imagine someone gets hurt. I rather see some more minutes of green instead of thj and hardy in some stretches.
I would still not play him a lot if anymore if everybody is healthy
joesha1698
Junior
And1: 115

Post#116 » by joesha1698 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:02 am

I think the area we miss green the most is those corner 3's that he can take oppose to Washington. He hits those more consistently. But we should keep starting DJ because we need his defense. So, he should help us knock down some more 3's which is a good thing.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#117 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:53 am

leolozon wrote:Clippers Vs Mavs is getting closer to a sure thing. I'm getting tired of seeing them.

Best thing right now would be the Nuggets staying 2nd and the Mavs getting to 4.

So the goal is for them to get upset by Minnesota in the 2nd round, I don't see it happening. Otherwise we just end up facing them in The WCF. That would be after we beat Clippers and OKC, not easy tasks that of itself.

I'm just assuming that if Denver doesn't get #1 OKC does, technically Minnesota still could.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,849

Post#118 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:12 am

MassimoPayne wrote:We need everybody healthy for the playoffs. Including green. Just imagine someone gets hurt. I rather see some more minutes of green instead of thj and hardy in some stretches.
I would still not play him a lot if anymore if everybody is healthy

Agree.

We need everybody healthy and motivated for the PO, defense is just about chemistry and team stuff (of course great individual defenders help).

I hope Green will be ok and ready to play some minutes in the post season.
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#119 » by Swish77 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:56 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:
No point to test the small ball lineup, Maxi at C just wont work, as proved many many time before already. Lively is injured, so Maxi minute going up is understandable. However, why Gafford minute is lowered the same time. In today's game, if we continue to play Gafford/PJ/Kyrie for 2-3 more minutes in early 4th quarter, when the lead is around 29 points, I am sure Luka wont need to check back in at all, and we can keep both Kyrie/Luka minutes to lower than 30 minutes.

Now's the time to test. We are winning and playing at a very high level. Now we can Test things in short stints to see if it clicks.I haven't heard anything on lively has anyone seen anything yet?

Test thing doesnt mean to play small ball and put Luka + Maxi as PF/C, with Hardy + THJ + Kyrie. All of us except only coach Kidd will know this would NOT work. What is the point by trying this?

We are leading by 24 points at the 7:23 mark. If Kidd insists to play Gafford/PJ/DJJ for 2-3 more minutes, I am sure the lead will keep or even grow to 30 points at the 5 min mark. HOU side will give up and release all the bench players. Then Luka can rest his left hamstring, no need to play in the 4th quarter at all. Kyrie can come out from the game earlier. Instead, Luka has come out to play at the 7:23 mark, and this small ball line up cost us to continue to play Luka/Kyrie for 5-6 minutes, until 1:58 mark, before they finally can come out from the game.

When you test things nothing's off the table. Reason why I said test things in short stints. Testing Lineups hurts nothing but can gain everything.

Return to Dallas Mavericks