And1: 12

Official Reds @ Cardinals Thread 

Post#1 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Image 9-10 vs.
Image 8-10

Tuesday, 7:10 p.m. CT: Aaron Harang [2-0, 4.37] vs. Kip Wells [1-3, 3.12]

Wednesday, 7:10 p.m.: Bronson Arroyo [0-2, 3.25] vs. Braden Looper [3-1, 2.08]

Thursday, 12:10 p.m.: Kyle Lohse [1-0, 1.91] vs. Randy Keisler [0-0, 4.09]

We'll see if we get this game in tonight, there's a lot of rain in the area this afternoon.

Keep the bats going, Cardinals
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:26 am

Wow, getting smacked around. Kip allowing 8 runs and not even threw the 5th yet.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:15 am

So much for keeping the offense going.

Kip stunk tonight, even screwed up a sac bunt situation when scoring a run or two still might have mattered. Then the very next inning he leaves a pitch up, and Harang gets an RBI for the Reds.

That's how bad teams lose games, boys and girls. I sure wish we would stop playing like a bad team.
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#4 » by pacerfan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:17 am

I wish it had rained hard enough all night to cancel this one. Yuck.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#5 » by BuckFan25226 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:12 am

If anyone would of told me Looper would be doing this and essentially be our ace because of Carp's absence I would of laughed in their face and insulted them in some way.

3-1 with a 1.91 ERA, unfortunately didn't get the win tonight. But if he can somehow maintain this through the all star break. That would be huge while we are waiting on Carp and Mulder.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#6 » by pacerfan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:06 pm

I didn't realize this win over the Reds in the second game of the series was only the Cards second home win of the year.

Yahoo Sports:

It was only the second win in nine home games for the Cardinals, the first World Series winners to start the following season 1-7 at home.

On the other hand, as you point out BuckFan25226, Looper's pitching continues to be really good news.

Hopefully Albert is beginning to get in a groove, too.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:25 pm

I had a busy night last night and didn't get to see much of the game, but it sounds like we played pretty well other than not generating much against Arroyo for the first seven innings. No crime in that, Arroyo is pretty good.

I sure had my doubts about Looper as a starter. But it is looking more and more like he belongs in that role. He just looks like a starter--big guy with a strong arm and an assortment of pitches, no reason why he can't go out and give you seven innings other than that he's never done this before. We'll see if he can keep this up, but so far he is making Dave Duncan look really smart. I guess that's why Duncan is the pitching coach, and I'm not. :)

I read the blog over at vivaelbirdos.com, and over there they are talking about how Pujols lately is swinging at fewer bad pitches and not trying so hard to pull everything. Maybe they are on to something. The games I've seen, he's still had some pretty bad at-bats, but was starting to mix in some good at-bats also. So let's hope that he and Rolen are finally coming around. Edmonds, though...I just don't know. I'm starting to see a giant salad fork protruding from his back when he plays.

Early game today, 12:10 start time. Randy Keisler on the mound <groans> against Lohse who has been pitching pretty well. Not an auspicious matchup, but maybe we can steal one. I should be able to listen on the radio while at work.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by BuckFan25226 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:04 pm

Yes, Albert's at bats have been very productive. Last nights game winning double was the Albert we all know and love. Battled for a while, then finally took an outside fastball through the gap to right center all the way to the wall. And there isn't much else to say about Rolen other then he's been hitting GREAT. Duncan has been great throughout, and has been a pleasant surprise in the field as well.

As far as Edmonds is concerened, I think he'll be ok. But he won't be the .270-.290 hitter as we are accustomed to. I think he'll end up settling around .250 with about 20HR's, which in all honesty is fine with me. He still is one of the best in center field at age 36. And the way Duncan is hitting the ball, I have no problem with Edmonds hitting like that because he's still very good in center field, as he proved again last night.

I know hindsight is always 20/20. But I didn't like Taguchi pinch hitting for Edmonds in the 8th. with a 3-1 lead, and no outs, and a runner on. You put Edmonds up there hoping he can advance the runner, But you have lead, no outs, IMO you leave Edmonds in strictly for defensive purposes. Then Taguchi drops a fly ball which would of been routine for Edmonds, giving the Reds a chance in the 9th.

It worked out, but anyone else in center other then Edmonds scares me.

EDIT - Looper has impressed me to say the least, and I do believe it will continue, maybe not a sub 2 ERA, but the way he can run fastballs in on right handers is impressive. He jammed so many guys last night and got so many ground balls, I see no reason it won't continue. He kept the ball down against Griffey and Dunn and just pitched a great game.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,

- yiyiyi
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:50 pm

Wow, we are scoring runs against an actual genuine big-league starting pitcher!!!

From listening to the radio, sounds like Pujols is out of his slump. I see a monster series against the Cubs in his future.

I like the way La Russa decided we could still win this game and gave Keisler a quick hook. A few more runs from us and more good work from our pen and it will pay off.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Stinkin' ninth-inning rain delay, but finally the win is in the books.

Good game for us. We sure hit the ball today. Did Skip Schumaker really have three hits?!?
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by BuckFan25226 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:22 pm

I got alot of work done in the morning so I came home for a 3 hour lunch to watch the game 8)

I almost threw my remote when I saw Duncan sat, but Skip was GREAT! Except for his first swing pop out in the 1st, he was extremelly patient and sprayed the ball all over. Hit the ball hard and had GREAT at bats. Miles was great from the lead off spot, Pujols was Pujols. And I was so happy when TLR took out Keisler, HE IS BRUTAL. The guy has no velocity, no location, no movement on his fastball. I'm glad I came home to watch this one, 15 hits, productive at bats for everyone. And again a great move by TLR to give Keisler the quick hook, that won us the game.

- yiyiyi
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:25 pm

Just a couple stats to show how the Cardinals players are doing after this series.

A stat that shows what a players ERA should actually look like
http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/m ... son_filter[0]=2007&league_filter[0]=2&team_filter[0]=STL&Submit=Submit&orderBy=xFip&direction=ASC&page=1

A stat that shows what a players OPS should actually be closer to

So with these 2 stats it's clear, the only 2 players that know how to hit are Duncan and Pujols. That Reyes, Looper, and Wells have all been pitching to earn a 4 ERA between them, making them good starters. Wainwright has been decent, but definitely behind those 3. And it also shows Chris Narveson should be called up for Keisler.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by mizzoupacers » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:44 pm

Wainwright being "behind" Reyes falls under the category of "lies, damn lies, and statistics." Wainwright's made four starts, and two of them were far better than anything Reyes has done in his three starts. (Then Waino's rate stats blew up in one afternoon with the wind blowing out at Wrigley.)

I'll take two good starts, one bad one, and one REALLY bad one over three bad starts. Wainwright gives you a good shot at being 2-2 in his four starts (although as chance would have it, the Cardinals are actually 3-1 in those games); Reyes gives you a good shot at being 0-3 (which is exactly what happened).
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:59 pm

I do agree with you to a point.

But that stat mostly shows Reyes has been pretty damn unlucky so far this year.

And it doesn't take into account game by game basis, just overall average.

With that said, I'm predicting Reyes to go 8 innings tonight with a 2 ER.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by mizzoupacers » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:09 pm

I like your prediction. :)

Maybe he's been unlucky so far. But I also think he can pitch a lot better than he has, and I hope he gets back on track tonight.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by BuckFan25226 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:30 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:I do agree with you to a point.

But that stat mostly shows Reyes has been pretty damn unlucky so far this year.

And it doesn't take into account game by game basis, just overall average.

With that said, I'm predicting Reyes to go 8 innings tonight with a 2 ER.

I was just gonna say something like this before I read your post. Watching Reyes' games have been encouraging AND frustrating at the same time. Now I didn't get to see the Cubs game because I was golfing. But the Houston and Pit game were VERY frustrating. frustrating from the fact that he wasn't hit hard, he was tapped around the field, if my memory serves me correctly, he had several 0-2, 1-2 base hits off of good pitches that were fought off by the batter that happened to fall. Or wierd fought off grounders that just got through the hole. Reyes hasn't been perfect, but he hasn't pitched bad at all. So I see how these fixed stats make sense. His luck will turn soon and these softly hit balls will turn to outs.

With that being said, he has been brutal early in games for whatever reason. If he can just get through the first couple innings and settle in, he's extremely tough when he starts working his nasty change.

- yiyiyi

Return to St. Louis Cardinals