ImageImage

Official Pirates @ Cardinals Series Thread

mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Official Pirates @ Cardinals Series Thread 

Post#1 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:35 pm

Monday night: Reyes vs. Ian Snell (0-1, 2.08 ERA)

Tuesday afternoon: Wainwright vs. Tom Gorzelanny (1-0, 1.50 ERA)

Snell and Gorzelanny have pitched well, but they will have their hands full (or so I hope) with NL BATTING LEADER Chris Duncan and the real El Hombre, who joined the team yesterday in place of that impostor we saw for the first ten games of the season.

Reyes has not pitched in nine days. Hope he can still come out and be sharp tonight.

Let's Go Cardinals, we need some home wins before we head back out on the road to San Francisco and Chicago.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:14 am

Terrible start for Reyes, but he has settled down and been good since the 1st.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Re: Official Pirates @ Cardinals Series Thread 

Post#3 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:22 am

mizzoupacers wrote:the real El Hombre, who joined the team yesterday in place of that impostor we saw for the first ten games of the season.

Ah, no the impostor is back, he was terrible tonight.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:28 am

Got my hopes up there in the ninth. Damn, our offense is excruciating.

I don't know whether to feel encouraged or discouraged by this team. They are as professional a team as you will ever see--as a Pacers fan I've learned the hard way how important that is. What I mean is, they seem to approach things the right way, they're always prepared, and they give themselves every possible chance to win games.

Like tonight...the pitching wasn't on, but they hung in there. And the defense was outstanding--how about Duncan showing the glove off?!? And we scratched out a couple of runs, and after we caught a couple of breaks to start the ninth the game was right there for the taking. But we just. Can't. Hit.

Rolen and Pujols can't possibly keep hitting .200 much longer. Edmonds can't remain on track to drive in 13 runs in 162 games. Right? Right?

I'm going to step outside and do a primal scream, then I'm going to bed.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Early game today, 1:10 Central Time.

Be on time, Cards fans, and pay attention--if you blink you might miss the Cardinals offense. Anyway, you don't want to miss a game that Wainwright is pitching. He Da Man.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:49 pm

Wainwright didn't have it today, and our offense produced one run on four hits.

Not much more to say.

On to San Francisco.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:56 pm

One thing to say, offense is still doing horrible.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Did I forget to say that? :lol:

I would say that it is time to send all of our outfielders not named Chris Duncan down to Memphis, and bring all of the Memphis outfielders up to St. Louis, but none of the Memphis guys are hitting either.

But humor me, La Russa, at least swap Schumaker for John Rodriguez.
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#9 » by pacerfan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:32 am

Saw this statistical tidbit on Yahoo as I was checking out an account of Tuesday's game. Bummer.

The Cardinals' 6-7 start is the worst by a World Series winner since the 1998 Florida Marlins were 1-11.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:04 pm

We're off to a slow start, there's no denying that.

But even so, we are just a game under .500, and only 1.5 games out of first in the Central.

If the pitching holds up, and Pujols and Rolen can remember how to hit, then I still think we can win 90 games this year. But we're not going to be a team with much margin for error, because this just isn't a team built to score six or eight runs per game. The pitching is going to have to be consistently good, and the fielding too--we can't go making two errors in the first inning like we did yesterday and expect to win very often.

Return to St. Louis Cardinals