bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Scott Rolen to Dodgers Rumor 

Post#1 » by bigboy1234 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:33 pm

According to Bernie Miklasz
Rolen to LA

for:

3B Wilson Betiment and one of two OFs: Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier.

--B

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=456497

Now, he says this is purely speculation, which it probably is.

Also, I would be so happy with a trade like this if the outfielder we'd be getting was Matt Kemp, and if we could somehow add another player and get LaRoche instead of Betemit. Also, if it does happen Rolen makes a very nice amount of money which we might have to throw in some or we just get off the hook for it, which would free up a ton of free agent money I would think. Now I doubt any of this will happen but it's always fun to dream.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Tue May 15, 2007 10:01 pm

Tough call.

Rolen has looked pretty shaky since last August really, although he did have a pretty nice World Series. But I'm not convinced that he is finished just yet.

If he IS finished, it would be great just to unload his gee-normous contract on somebody else.

I don't really know all that much about those Dodgers guys, but we could sure use some good young players at pretty much every everyday position except first base, catcher, and left field.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu May 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Aside from Ned Colletti being a moron, what the heck is the Dodgers' justification of taking on Rolen?
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:39 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:Aside from Ned Colletti being a moron, what the heck is the Dodgers' justification of taking on Rolen?

Thats what I'm thinking. Rolen is a great defender, but that doesn't justify his contract the way he's hitting now. Maybe Ned thinks Rolen will turn the corner soon/eventually and start hitting like he should. Either way I would probably do Matt Kemp for Rolen straight up if LA takes of the salary. Would also love to get one of the other Dodgers youngins (LaRoche, Kuo, Billingsley) that they seem intent to screw over.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu May 17, 2007 6:55 pm

How long is Rolen
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by bigboy1234 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:04 pm

Its not up til after the 2010 season, and he gets 12M per every year.

To tell you the truth if he can learn how to hit again it's not that bad of a contract considered how free agents get paid. But thats the risk, although I fully expect him to come around and end up with a .850 OPS this year.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu May 17, 2007 7:12 pm

It isn
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by bigboy1234 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:22 pm

The Padres could justify making this deal; it
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu May 17, 2007 7:58 pm

I can understand the how, just not the why.

Of course, if I

Return to St. Louis Cardinals