ImageImage

Cardinals Top Prospects

bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Cardinals Top Prospects 

Post#1 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Oct 2, 2007 11:04 pm

1. Colby Rasmus, CF (8/11/86)

One of the top prospects in the minors, Rasmus can simply do it all on the field. In the outfield Rasmus was rated the best defensive outfielder, best outfield arm, and most exciting player in Double-A by Baseball America. At the plate his power continues to come as he posted a .276 ISOP this season, which was good for the best in the Texas League and second in all of Double-A. He has the speed on the base paths to average over 20 stolen bases a season in the big leagues. Rasmus also posted a very encouraging .299 BABIP and 23% line drive rate, which essentially means this season was very real, as he was not lucky when hitting the ball in play and hit the ball hard. Look for the 6-foot-2, 195-pounder to be in St. Louis by the end of next June. Triple-A shouldn't be able to hold him for too long.

2. Jaime Garcia, LHP (7/8/86)
The lefty who busted onto the scene as a 22nd rounder in the 2005 draft has been shutdown since July 18th with soreness in his pitching elbow. The Cardinals are hoping the injury heals on its own, but if not Garcia may need surgery and may miss the entire 2008 season.

Read the rest of the rankings here.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Oct 3, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm surprised that Jarrett Hoffpauier is not even an honorable mention--he's one of the minor leaguers I'm most intrigued by. Did well at both Double A and Triple A last season, and he's still only 24. I know he's a bit of a surprise and isn't supposed to have all that high a ceiling, but the major leagues are full of good players who were not regarded as top prospects when they entered professional baseball. I've got a lot of interest in Hoffpauier as a possibility to be the Cardinals' future second baseman.

Also not mentioned is Amaury Marti, who I have a gut feeling is a big-league hitter if he ever gets the chance. I know it's silly to think that when I've never seen the guy play, but that's my hunch, and he's done nothing in the minors to prove otherwise.

Jose Martinez is worth keeping an eye on. Kozma is also at shortstop, although he's still a long way from the majors.

Of course what we really need are some starting pitchers. I'd agree that Garcia, Ottavino, Herron, and Mortensen seem like the best possibilities. None of them figure to be ready to pitch for the Cardinals in 2008 though. And Garcia's arm problems are a big worry.

Rasmus is the Golden Child. No need to say anything more about him--except that I'm REALLY looking forward to his Cardinals debut, which will probably come at some point next season.

Return to St. Louis Cardinals