ImageImage

Erik Bedard

StlFan21
Ballboy
And1: 0

Erik Bedard 

Post#1 » by StlFan21 » Sun Dec 9, 2007 11:00 pm

The newest rumor I have been hearing lately is that the Cards are making a push for Bedard, they of course would have to give up Rasmus to do it. What do you guys think about giving up 3 or 4 of our top young talent for Bedard?
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:06 am

Hell no to giving up Rasmus for Bedard.

I can't imagine the Cardinals are going to get him from Baltimore.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#3 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:15 am

I'm too much in love with Colby to trade him. The only players I think I may trade Rasmus for are Justin Upton or Felix Hernandez.

That being said Bedard is a stud, and was the most dominant pitcher in baseball last season. It's just that Rasmus is 7 years away from free agency (unless he makes the team out of ST) and Bedard is 2 years away from free agency. If Bedard was as dominant as he was last season for the past 3 years I would probably do it though. That and Bedard has yet to pitch over 200 innings and will be 29 when the season starts, makes me lean away from this deal.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#4 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:30 pm

Err, my earlier post might have been written a bit too much in haste...just for clarification, Stl Fan, I was responding to the rumor (which I've heard as well), and meant nothing personal.

Agreed that Bedard had a great year last year and it would be nice if the Cardinals could acquire him somehow. But IMO, Rasmus is too high a price for a pitcher who could hurt his arm tomorrow and become completely useless to us. (I know Rasmus could get hurt tomorrow himself, but no one is more of an injury risk than a starting pitcher.)

It also would take more than just Rasmus to get the Orioles to pull the trigger. Me no like.
StlFan21
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by StlFan21 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:49 pm

Oh absolutely no offense taken, I actually am in agreement on not giving up rasmus because I think he is an absolute stud, but with that being said, we do need to address the starting pitching somehow whether that be this year or next...I personally believe that we should hold on to our young talent, draft some top talent like you have said, and then make a run at some top players next offseason...While I hope we contend this year, I don't think we would have enough even with a pitcher like bedard so it wouldn't make sense to mortgage our future to do it

Return to St. Louis Cardinals