Rays August thread

Moderator: craig01

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: Rays August thread 

Post#21 » by craig01 » Fri Aug 9, 2013 1:13 am

The Real Dalic wrote:I think he'll be fine. But the Rays should watch Archer closely and make sure he doesn't make whatever he has worse.

I hope so....
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#22 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:49 pm

I have very little faith in Rodney right now. He had a spectacular implosion in a game we should have won.
aka: prorl
MagicRays
Junior
And1: 58

Post#23 » by MagicRays » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:I have very little faith in Rodney right now. He had a spectacular implosion in a game we should have won.

I can't believe we gave up a 6-0 lead last night in a span of 2 innings. I feel bad for Price. Going 7 great innings and then getting pulled in confidence only to watch it all wash away quite quickly. McGee and Lueke were not great but the real meltdown came from Rodney. Oh My God. I can't remember the last time this guy had a good outing. Even when he gets saves, its after allowing multiple batters get on base. Last night was horrendous.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#24 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:I have very little faith in Rodney right now. He had a spectacular implosion in a game we should have won.

I'll have to check, but I believe the rays now have lost 13 games after having the lead in the seventh inning or later.

I have the same feeling about Rodney as well.

He pitch successfully for a while (notice I did not say very well) and for a good stretch, but every time out it seems as though the Rays are about to come face to face with a train wreck.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:48 pm

MagicRays wrote:

I can't believe we gave up a 6-0 lead last night in a span of 2 innings. I feel bad for Price. Going 7 great innings and then getting pulled in confidence only to watch it all wash away quite quickly. McGee and Lueke were not great but the real meltdown came from Rodney. Oh My God. I can't remember the last time this guy had a good outing. Even when he gets saves, its after allowing multiple batters get on base. Last night was horrendous.

Those types of games happen once in a while, but the Rays have lost so many big leads this year, it's amazing that they can maintain their confidence.

Maybe once we get word on Crain and his availability, things may change.

Rodney on the mound is like playing the roulette wheel....put the chips on the table, then just give it a twirl, close your eyes...... and hope for the best.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:31 pm

it's Hellickson vs Kershaw today. Not exactly a favorable match up .....

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,069

Post#27 » by The Real Dalic » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Yeah, I lost confidence in just about everyone in the bullpen.

And I didn't watch last nights game, but I know it wasn't a good one.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:54 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Yeah, I lost confidence in just about everyone in the bullpen.

And I didn't watch last nights game, but I know it wasn't a good one.

it wasnt, they rays swung at almost every breaking ball in the dirt.

The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#29 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:40 am

Another terrible game by the Rays.

We hit a rough patch of late. We need to get healthy again and soon. We won't last this way.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by craig01 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:20 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Another terrible game by the Rays.

We hit a rough patch of late. We need to get healthy again and soon. We won't last this way.

Hopefully things turn around quickly.

Longoria will be key.

The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#31 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 am

The Rays bats came to life, but the pitching HAS to get better if the Rays are going anywhere.

The Rays are definitely missing Jennings, Moore and Cobb. They mean a lot to the team. Hopefully they can come back and get back to form very soon.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by craig01 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 pm

And the bullpen MUST perform better.

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#33 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Cobb had a much needed good outing on his first start back. We def needed that, and we need him for the division push.

Also, Maddon brought in a snake to the locker-room for good luck because its the year of the snake lol. Gotta love that guy. Only he would.
aka: prorl
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#34 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:59 pm

I heard that Delmon Young could possibly return to the Rays. That would be great if he were anywhere near as productive as he was in Detroit.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#35 » by MagicRays » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Last night was fun to watch. Didn't have much hope going in knowing the Rays have been horrible vs. Dickey's knuckleball in the past. But we scraped a few runs off him, and then really took advantage of the 2 innings of relief. Typical outing for Helly. Typical outings from our "best" relievers.

The highlight was Lobaton though. Made some nice blocks that saved runs, and was clutch at the plate all night. He's been steadily getting better with us. He could make the case for our full time catcher next year if he plays strong into the post-season.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Cobb had a much needed good outing on his first start back. We def needed that, and we need him for the division push.

Also, Maddon brought in a snake to the locker-room for good luck because its the year of the snake lol. Gotta love that guy. Only he would.

Cobb looked really string until he ran out of gas. It was good that Maddon let him finish his last inning.

Maddon = off beat.

We are lucky to have him as a manager. He does not speak in cliches, is loyal to his team, and is always interesting (see his comments about expanded instant replay).

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:23 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:I heard that Delmon Young could possibly return to the Rays. That would be great if he were anywhere near as productive as he was in Detroit.

Honestly, I don't see it.

He's pretty much become a one dimensional player (batting vs lefties), isn't very good in the field, is horrible against RH pitching, seldom hits with power.

Even his production against lefties isn't all that great.

At best, he'd be a part time DH .... and with the amount of pitchers needed these days, I would be surprised if the Rays opened a roster spot for him.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:26 pm

MagicRays wrote:Last night was fun to watch. Didn't have much hope going in knowing the Rays have been horrible vs. Dickey's knuckleball in the past. But we scraped a few runs off him, and then really took advantage of the 2 innings of relief. Typical outing for Helly. Typical outings from our "best" relievers.

The highlight was Lobaton though. Made some nice blocks that saved runs, and was clutch at the plate all night. He's been steadily getting better with us. He could make the case for our full time catcher next year if he plays strong into the post-season.

Lobaton has improved significantly this year. The Friday game against the jays was probably his best ever defensive effort that I have seen from him.

The Rays desperately need a healthy Crain.

MagicRays
Junior

Post#39 » by MagicRays » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Hello Lobaton! Clutch!
MagicRays
Junior

Post#40 » by MagicRays » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:53 pm

We've really come around these last few days. Baltimore is really good and we've managed to take 2/2 so far from them. Goin for the sweep tonight! Joe put Joyce sandwiched between longo and Myers at cleanup last night. At first I didn't think it was a good idea to have a platoon player in the middle of the order, but wow did it work. Hope Joe discovered the missing ingredient there to unlock Joyce's potential. That's one scary lineup when Joyce is swinging well too.

Oh ya, we're in first today with the Boston loss last night :)

Return to Tampa Bay Rays