ImageImageImage

13-14 Rays Offseason

Moderator: craig01

MagicRays
Junior
And1: 58

Re: 13-14 Rays Offseason 

Post#21 » by MagicRays » Mon Dec 9, 2013 3:28 pm

MagicRays wrote:They certainly don't need him in the outfield now with 6 headline names there (beltran, ichiro, granderson, gardner, wells, soriano).

Also forgot Ellsbury. Wow, what are they thinking?!
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,069

Post#22 » by The Real Dalic » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:17 am

Looks like Loney is going to stick around for 3 more years. :D
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#23 » by MagicRays » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:02 am

The Real Dalic wrote:Looks like Loney is going to stick around for 3 more years. :D

Keeping the best infield defense in the majors (or the world for that matter?) together for at least another year! So far this off-season it seems we've improved several positions (catcher, outfield, bullpen, DH), without regressing at any. It looks like we are in line for a damn good year! I see this squad winning a few more games than we did the past season, as long as we can stay away from injuries.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#24 » by craig01 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:07 am

I'm glad Loney was resigned, let's hope he stays healthy and as productive as he was last year.

Bell could be a nice find if he's able to regain close to what he had as a closer.

Rodney will be finding a new home, and that's good because he provided far too much unnecessary drama last year.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#25 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Jan 9, 2014 9:27 pm

Are the Rays done making moves? They haven't been linked to anyone anymore. The only moves I see us making now are through trades.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#26 » by MagicRays » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 am

The Real Dalic wrote:Are the Rays done making moves? They haven't been linked to anyone anymore. The only moves I see us making now are through trades.

Our 40-man roster is now full, and the lineup is complete from top to bottom. We upgraded at catcher, upgraded the outfield, kept our gold glove infield intact, and replaced the erratic Rodney with a few bullpen pieces that will duke it out for the closer role. Position players and bullpen are certainly done. The only thing that can happen now is pulling the trigger on trading away Price if an amazing deal is offered to us. At this point, I don't think that will even happen because this roster looks ready to go all the way. We made the playoffs last year in the same division as the eventual champions, and we improved upon that roster. The other teams in our division appear worse than before. Barring major injuries, this team as currently constructed has a strong shot at going all the way, and should be the favorite to take the AL East (but certainly won't get that recognition with all the headline teams in the division).

"I like this team."
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#27 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Finally! Some Rays news!

Jayson Nix will sign a Minor League deal with the Tampa Bay Rays.

Over the past two seasons with the New York Yankees, Nix has totaled 505 plate appearances, batting .239/.307/.340 with seven home runs and 19 stolen bases (in 23 attempts).

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... ayson_nix/

I have to admit I don't know much about Nix, but I'm happy we were in the news once again! :D
MagicRays
Junior

Post#28 » by MagicRays » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:02 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Finally! Some Rays news!

Jayson Nix will sign a Minor League deal with the Tampa Bay Rays.

Over the past two seasons with the New York Yankees, Nix has totaled 505 plate appearances, batting .239/.307/.340 with seven home runs and 19 stolen bases (in 23 attempts).

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... ayson_nix/

I have to admit I don't know much about Nix, but I'm happy we were in the news once again! :D

He will be good injury insurance down in AAA. In the last 3 years he's played 3B, SS, 2B, and corner outfield positions. Tons of utility. Not much bat but his walks help him get on base to use his speed.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#29 » by MagicRays » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:06 pm

There is a rumor that Lobaton will be traded by the end of the week. We have 3 catchers on the 25-man roster, and I don't think the Rays want to go to arbitration with him and pay up. He's a decent young C who got better last year and could be even better this year. But unfortunately, we don't have room for him anymore.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#30 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:35 pm

MagicRays wrote:There is a rumor that Lobaton will be traded by the end of the week. We have 3 catchers on the 25-man roster, and I don't think the Rays want to go to arbitration with him and pay up. He's a decent young C who got better last year and could be even better this year. But unfortunately, we don't have room for him anymore.

I wish we didn't re-sign Molina. :(
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#31 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:53 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
MagicRays wrote:There is a rumor that Lobaton will be traded by the end of the week. We have 3 catchers on the 25-man roster, and I don't think the Rays want to go to arbitration with him and pay up. He's a decent young C who got better last year and could be even better this year. But unfortunately, we don't have room for him anymore.

I don't understand why we resigned Molina. The guy is like 40 years old and Lobaton is clutch and seems ready to step up.

We have not helped our offense much in my opinion. Looks like we are relying mainly on Myers's continuing development. Fair enough I agree on that. But we don't have a legit DH power hitter. Haven't since...ever? I guess they will try to use Joyce as DH? I don't think he is reliable. He had a terrible year last year, and ever since he had that good first half of the season and made the allstar game he has been terrible. That was a long time ago. I feel like we will still struggle to score runs and we don't have the speed game we used to have to make up for lack of power.
aka: prorl
MagicRays
Junior

Post#32 » by MagicRays » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:

I don't understand why we resigned Molina. The guy is like 40 years old and Lobaton is clutch and seems ready to step up.

We have not helped our offense much in my opinion. Looks like we are relying mainly on Myers's continuing development. Fair enough I agree on that. But we don't have a legit DH power hitter. Haven't since...ever? I guess they will try to use Joyce as DH? I don't think he is reliable. He had a terrible year last year, and ever since he had that good first half of the season and made the allstar game he has been terrible. That was a long time ago. I feel like we will still struggle to score runs and we don't have the speed game we used to have to make up for lack of power.

You bring up some good points. Here are my thoughts..

We resigned Molina right before the Hanigan deal came around. At that point, we had to do the trade to make that position better offensively, with the intent of trading Lobaton or Molina. Lobaton has more trade I feel, so he's probably the one to go.

I think the offense will benefit from a full year of Myers, Joyce replacing Luke Scott in the DH role, Hanigan's on-base percentage, and DeJesus splitting Left Field with someone like Guyer or SRod.

There's no denying the speed left the team when Crawford and Upton left. That said, I think we'll see better base stealing from Jennings and Zobrist this year, with Myers contributing as well. I think we need to add a speed guy to the bench now that Fuld is gone.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#33 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:13 am

The Rays have traded Alex Torres, Jesse Hahn (who?) to the Padres for Logan Forsythe, Brad Boxberger, Matt Lollis, Matt Andriese, and Maxx Tissenbaum.
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#34 » by Rick Rolled » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Rays just signed Balfour to a 2 year deal.

I'm personally happy to have him back.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
MagicRays
Junior

Post#35 » by MagicRays » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:54 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:The Rays have traded Alex Torres, Jesse Hahn (who?) to the Padres for Logan Forsythe, Brad Boxberger, Matt Lollis, Matt Andriese, and Maxx Tissenbaum.

Jesse Hahn was one of our top starting-pitching prospects in the minors. He has a ton of potential / high ceiling. Big Risk/Reward guy. Could just as well bust.

I hate to see Torres go. I really hated this deal yesterday. Today it's not so bad. I looked into the guys we got. Interesting group with alot of potential. And then we signed Balfour to beef up the 'pen and possibly close.

I assume it went something like this...

1. We agree to a contract with Balfour to be our closer
2. Need to make room in bullpen
3. Make some calls saying we have a few relievers on the block
4. Torres brought in the best deal
5. Torres out, Balfour in
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#36 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Well I really like this Balfour signing. We never should have let him go. I am hoping this means our bullpen is going be reliable and extremely successful because they sure weren't last year. Watching Rodney was an adventure I did not want to partake it.

We still need some bats. We need some power.
aka: prorl
MagicRays
Junior

Post#37 » by MagicRays » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Well I really like this Balfour signing. We never should have let him go. I am hoping this means our bullpen is going be reliable and extremely successful because they sure weren't last year. Watching Rodney was an adventure I did not want to partake it.

We still need some bats. We need some power.

The team looks really good now. The only thing that could be better is the outfield defense. But those guys help out offensively enough to justify their roles.

Price/Cobb/Moore/Hellickson/Archer starting rotation
McGee/Peralta/Balfour for our 7/8/9th innings
Best infield defense in MLB
DH should be a lot better with Joyce instead of Scott
LF should be better with DeJesus instead of Joyce
Myers will get better in RF as he gains experience

Joyce added 20 pounds (hopefully of muscle) so far this offseason. He is looking to embrace the DH role, and add durability as well. He blasted 14 HR the first half of last season, then either 2 or 4 after that (can't remember). If the added muscle can sustain his strength, we're looking at a 25+ HR DH.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#38 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:57 am

Unless Joyce goes back to the way he was when he was an All-Star (or better), than I agree with Optimus that we need a little more offense. I think we can win the World Series with this current team for sure. But it would be nice if our pitchers and defense didn't have to carry our team in every game. I think we're one very good bat away from being a really special team.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#39 » by MagicRays » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:02 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Unless Joyce goes back to the way he was when he was an All-Star (or better), than I agree with Optimus that we need a little more offense. I think we can win the World Series with this current team for sure. But it would be nice if our pitchers and defense didn't have to carry our team in every game. I think we're one very good bat away from being a really special team.

Either one of "All-Star Year Joyce" or "First Half of Last Year Joyce" would be a huge upgrade at DH for us this year. Add that to a full year of Myers and DDJ, Longo, upgrading catcher to Hanigan, and that should be plenty of firepower in the lineup.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#40 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:15 pm

Is anyone interested in signing Cruz to play DH if we can somehow get him cheaper than expected? Even if it's a 3 year deal or so?

Return to Tampa Bay Rays