And1: 41

Nolan Ryan as Team President? 

Post#1 » by catalyst » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Texas Rangers post intrigues Ryan
Ex-pitcher says there's 'some attraction' to being team president

01:38 AM CST on Tuesday, January 29, 2008

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News
rdurrett@dallasnews.com

Nolan Ryan spoke with media members in Houston on Monday and said there would be "some attraction" to becoming Rangers president.

Rangers owner Tom Hicks declined to comment through a team spokesman. Last week, he confirmed that he and Ryan met in Round Rock on Friday to discuss a variety of issues, including the vacant front office position.

The president position was vacated when Jeff Cogen was named president of the Stars in November as part of the Stars' restructuring, which included Brett Hull and Les Jackson becoming interim co-general managers.
Nolan Ryan pitched for the Texas Rangers from 1989-93.

"I think from a baseball perspective, I think everybody would like to be involved in putting a ballclub together and try to put a winning effort together, so I think obviously from my perspective there would be some attraction to that," Ryan told the Houston Chronicle.

Ryan was at Minute Maid Park for the first day of the Nolan Ryan and Jeff Bagwell Elite Pitchers and Hitters camp for Astros prospects.

Ryan, who turns 61 on Thursday, played his final five seasons for the Rangers. That stint included his sixth and seventh no-hitters, his 300th win, his 5,000th strikeout and a memorable fight with Robin Ventura.

Ryan, currently a special assistant to the general manager, has one year remaining on his five-year contract with the Astros.

"Will something come of this? You know, it's too early to predict, and Tom and I have had a relationship over the years since my playing career," Ryan told the Chronicle. "So it was an opportunity for us to get together and visit on Friday."

LINK

I guess his pursuit of the snow monkeys will have to wait.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2 » by catalyst » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:10 pm

Dallas Mavericks, Texas Rangers see game of risk differently

10:16 PM CST on Thursday, January 31, 2008

catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by catalyst » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:11 pm

Ryan interested in Texas Rangers' job

Ex-fireballer to discuss president position with Hicks when possible

12:35 AM CST on Friday, February 1, 2008

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News
rdurrett@dallasnews.com

ARLINGTON
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by catalyst » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:08 pm

Well, he is here now. Too bad it is not 20 years ago when he could still pitch.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by catalyst » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:18 pm

That segment on the ticket getting Nolan to discuss the Snow Monkeys made me bust a gut I was laughing so hard. To hear that the Monkeys migrated from Seattle, jumped on Nolan's shoulder, and ate a wrapperless Hershey's Kiss. The fact that he was the Snow Monkey Ambassador was too much, and that their compound was in disarray pushed me over the top.

The Ticket Boys could not have written it any funnier.

Return to Texas Rangers