Rangers to go with platoon at first base

Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,228

Rangers to go with platoon at first base 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Thu May 8, 2008 11:45 pm

The Rangers are ready to go with a platoon at first base with Frank Catalanotto, a left-handed hitter, and Chris Shelton, who swings from the right side.

Catalanotto will be at first base on Thursday night when the Rangers play the Mariners at Safeco Field. Ben Broussard, who also hits left-handed, will be on the bench, and there's no indication when or if he'll start again. He has been taking fly balls in the outfield, but he's not likely to play there.

"Ben is a better player than he has shown, but right now we're taking a look at other guys," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said.

Broussard is hitting .159 with three home runs and eight RBIs in 26 games. He has not hit a home run or driven in a run since April 6, and he has played in just two of the Rangers' last nine games. Manager Ron Washington has no plans to start him anytime soon.

"His role is to be ready when we need him," Washington said. "As soon as I see an opportunity to get Ben in there, I'll do it. It's a tough situation because he's the guy I wanted in here."

The Rangers may have to make a decision on Broussard by Tuesday. Marlon Byrd, on the disabled list with a sore right knee, is expected to go on a medical rehab assignment on Saturday. The Rangers want him to play three games down there.

That means he could be activated as early as Tuesday, and Broussard could be on the spot if the Rangers need the roster spot.

Link
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#2 » by studcrackers » Fri May 9, 2008 7:05 am

thank god they got rid of that spare, he was supposed to a decent to above average defensive 1st baseman that could hit RH pitching. he made some moronic mistakes defensively and sucked hitting outside of a couple games
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#3 » by catalyst » Fri May 9, 2008 6:29 pm

I like cat, but he has always been a hitter without a position. Maybe this can be the position for him.

Return to Texas Rangers