Texas Rangers @ New York Yankees 5/8 - 5/10

Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

Texas_SportsFan1
Ballboy
And1: 0

Texas Rangers @ New York Yankees 5/8 - 5/10 

Post#1 » by Texas_SportsFan1 » Tue May 8, 2007 5:52 pm

Texas Rangers____@____ New York Yankees
(13 - 18)______________________________(14- 16)

TSF1's Prediction: 0-3, Yankees sweep the Rangers

Nice little sweep of the Blue Jays to help the sting of the Mavs loss go away for a couple of hours each day. What was especially sweet was putting up 9 runs on my pick to win the Cy Young, Roy Halladay.

A very positive thing going for the Rangers right now is that the last time through the rotation (against the top two AL hitting teams and without our "ace") the starting pitchers have these outstanding numbers, 2.22 ERA, 0.92 WHIP. Impressive.

The Yanks just got the wonderful news that the Rocket is returning to them for a few months, to the tune of 28 million dollars. I've always liked the Rocket, and I have no problems with the Yankees... but this is a lame move in my mind for an already very very rich man. I'm sure he said he'd never leave Boston, and I'm sure he said he'd never leave New York... but when you say you'll never leave Texas, damnit you stick by your word. At least that is how I feel, Texans are supposed to never lie, cheat, or steal... I believe that. I'm damn proud of Texas and this bothers me a great deal. You gonna tell me a couple of million dollars really makes a difference to him, I'll be the first to call BS on that. Truth is he got tired of Houston, tired of Lidge, tired of the team. He thinks he'll return to dominance in the A.L. which he very well might... but I honestly believe he would have had a better chance to win a World Series if he stayed in Houston. But even though it might get mentioned a time or two this is a discussion for another day, we won't face the Rocket this series... but boy I tell you what, if I had one realistic wish for this season... it's that we face him and completely destroy him, no mercy.

There isn't a single pitching match up in this series that favors the Rangers so I imagine we're gonna get swept by the Yankees... again. Their finally coming together and will give Boston a good run this year in the A.L. East. On to the series preview...

Game 1: Tuesday, May 8 || Yankee Stadium || 6:05 CT

Pitching Matchup:
Mike Wood, RHP 0-0, 3.12
Andy Pettitte, LHP 1-1, 3.00

Scouting Report:

Mike Wood: Wood is in the rotation while Kevin Millwood is on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring. He allowed three runs, two earned, in 61/3 innings in a start against the Yankees on Thursday in the first game of a doubleheader. He should get at least two starts before Millwood returns. He is 5-16 with a 5.79 ERA in 36 career Major League starts.

Andy Pettitte: Pettitte pitched six innings of five-hit ball while giving up two runs in his start against the Rangers on Wednesday. He did, however, walk three batters, bringing his total to 17 on the season. Pettitte threw 107 pitches against Texas, striking out five.

Wood looked pretty damn solid in his first start of the year last week against the Yankees. What I'm most impressed with is his .091 ERA against right handed batters. However there is a significant downside to his performance so far this season, main thing I'm worried about in this game for Wood is well I've got five names for you...
Posada
Giambi
Cano
Matsui
Abreu
It's too early to be overly concerned with Woods average against left handed batters, but against the Yankees it's gonna be a problem. So far this season he's got a .350 average against left handed batters... that equals a problem in my mind at least, and I'm worried about it. Two guys not on this list... Jeter and A-Rod, and you know what they can do.

Andy first of all is a very good pitcher, we all know that. And he's gonna get more then enough run support in this game to come away with the win. Tex is 8 for 16 lifetime against Pettitte so I'm putting the call in advance for Tex to get a HR in this game. Lofton... not so hot, 4 for 29.
-TSF1

Game 2: Wednesday, May 9 || Yankee Stadium || 6:05 CT

Pitching Matchup:
Robinson Tejeda, RHP 3-2, 3.89
Mike Mussina, RHP 1-1, 5.73

Scouting Report:

Robinson Tejeda: Tejeda was scheduled to start on Tuesday but the Rangers decided to move him back one day to give him some extra rest. His left hamstring has been a concern. Tejeda lost to the Yankees on Thursday despite allowing just three runs in 61/3 innings and is 0-2 with an 8.68 ERA in two career starts against them. He is 2-0 with a 2.92 ERA in two starts on the road. Left-handed hitters are batting .300 off him while right-handers are hitting .197.

Mike Mussina: Yankees fans finally saw the Mussina they're used to in his last start against the Rangers. It was the first time Moose had pitched since April 11 vs. the Twins, when manager Joe Torre had to replace him after just two innings because of a hamstring injury. Mussina got the win in his return start, giving up four hits and one run in five innings. He was 2-0 with a 3.15 ERA in three starts against Texas last season.

Tejeda without question has been the best pitcher on the Rangers staff so far this season, and I expect that to continue throughout the rest of the year.

Moose has absolutely owned Hank and Tex, a combined 8 for 54, he's 16-12 lifetime against the Rangers with a 3.78 ERA... he's gonna be a problem for our guys. Tejeda will have to pitch one of his best games this year if the Rangers want to pull this one out, I don't see it happening.
-TSF1

Game 3: Thursday, May 10 || Yankee Stadium || 12:05 CT

Pitching Matchup:
Brandon McCarthy, RHP 2-4, 7.96
Chien-Ming Wang, RHP 1-2, 3.98

Scouting Report:

Brandon McCarthy: McCarthy snapped a three-game losing streak with a 7-1 victory over the Blue Jays on Friday, allowing one run on two hits in six innings. He is 0-3 with a 9.69 ERA in four games, including three starts on the road. He has made just two career relief appearances against the Yankees for a total of 12/3 innings.

Chien-Ming Wang: In his last start -- after pitching 7 1/3 perfect innings against the Mariners -- Wang gave up a home run and a single to break up his bid for a perfect game. He struck out four without walking a batter in the Yankees' win over the Mariners. Now, Wang aims for his second straight victory against the Rangers.

Alright I'm gonna throw this out there while I can... the only current Yankee with a hit against McCarthy is Melky. Haha that won't last long, especially if he continues to make the same mistakes he's made all year. Sure his line looked nice last start, but it was still the same problems, same McCarthy. He'll have to keep the ball down in the strike zone and try and get some damn ground ball outs if he wants to have a chance at winning this game.

If you're like me you were glued to the TV this last weekend during the Yankees game... Wang was pitching an amazing game before it ended with a solo HR, one pitch messed up perfection. Hopefully for the Rangers that isn't a chip he'll have on his shoulder carrying into the Rangers game, hopefully there will be a significant let down in his pitching performance after the Perfect Game hype... but I doubt it. He's too damn good. Wang pitches another great game to complete the Yankees sweep in my opinion.

It's always fun to play the Yankees.
-TSF1

any feedback on the pitching previews, predictions, and crap would be appreciated.[/url]
sideshowking24
Junior

Post#2 » by sideshowking24 » Tue May 8, 2007 8:41 pm

well... a series sweep by the Yankees is very likely but there is no reason that we might not be able to steal a game, most likely game 2 with Tejeda on the mound, in this series. the matchups do mostly favor the Yanks but Tejeda is more than capable of stepping up and shutting down big lineups. and his first start against the Yanks wasn't bad either. with our bats starting to heat up, I feel pretty confident that we can win that game. and heres my reasoning...

He's got an extra days rest, which is just enough to ensure that he is fresh and not too much to throw him out of his rhythm. Plus Tejeda is more than capable of shutting down a potent lineup. His very first start against the Red Sox, he shut them out holding Ortiz and Ramirez to a combined 1 for 7 performance allowing only one other hit to the rest of the team. In his other win against the White Sox, he allowed only 3 hits which included a home run to Thome, the only run he allowed in 7 innings. again he shut down what I would consider another potent offense. In his las 3 starts he has allowed 9, 5, and 6 six hits against OAK, TOR, and NYY respectively and given up 3 runs in each game. If he does that again on Wednesday, there is no reason, with our bats finally coming around, that we can't scratch out 4 runs or more and take that game. Tejeda has only given up more than 3 runs once this season and that was when he gave up 6 against Tampa Bay, a game that I felt just got away from him because he didn't nearly have his best stuff out there with him. He doesn't have to be amazing but if he pitches well, I think we have a legitamte chance at winning game 2. All of the Lefties in the lineup may cause a problem but he's done if before so I think he can do it again.

with all that said, I am a huge Rangers optimist so that might be that talking, but I still think we come away from New York with at least 1 win.
sideshowking24
Junior

Post#3 » by sideshowking24 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:56 pm

ok so maybe my prediction about Tejeda pitching a good game didn't come through but at least they got their 1 win to avoid the sweep... it's always good to beat up on the Yankees.

Return to Texas Rangers