Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Rangers achieve main offseason goals 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:54 pm

Texas adds depth to outfield, first base, bullpen for 2008
Eddie Guardado and Kazuo Fukumori have been added to the bullpen, Milton Bradley and Josh Hamilton have been added to the outfield and Ben Broussard and Chris Shelton are ready to form a possible platoon at first base.

The Rangers, despite some missteps and rejections -- most notably Torii Hunter and Kerry Wood -- have fulfilled their three main goals for the offseason in upgrading in the outfield, first base and bullpen.

Up next, once they formally announce the Guardado signing later this week, is to make sure they have enough depth in the starting rotation. That has become more of a concern after Edinson Volquez was used to acquire Hamilton in a trade with the Reds.

Link
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:55 pm

Trade presents opportunity for Texas Rangers pitchers

Link
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#3 » by catalyst » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:51 pm

Then this team has had one of the sorriest off seasons and expects the least of any team of all time in the majors. Makes me very sad as a fan from right around the move.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#4 » by studcrackers » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:35 am

what the hell did you expect? josh hamilton is better than torii hunter and he'll cost about 70 million less than him too the next 5 years. there were no good pitchers out there to sign and we added 2 low risk relievers and will probably add a low risk starter to be our #5 guy like bartolo colon and jason jennings.

we didnt expect to contend this year so why waste a crapload of cash until we really need it? just b/c we didnt add 5 superstars doesnt mean we didnt make good moves, they're low risk 1 year deals that dont hurt us at all if they dont work out, daniels is looking towards the future and he's doing a great job at it, and about the only people who dont realize are people who only pay attention to the major league team and not the whole organization. listen to alot of writers like rob neyer, jim callis or keith law they all say we're headed in the right direction. it just takes some god damn patience to get there.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
sosafan70
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#5 » by sosafan70 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:56 am

I would definitely sign Colon to an incentive laden contract. Hands down

Dallas Mavericks: Where Good over Evil Happens
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by catalyst » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:35 pm

I hate that attitude that rangers will not even try. The Tigers and White Sox have shown that even lousy teams can make the WS the next year. They constantly talk about making money, but my entertainment dollar is going elsewhere. If they are to even going to try, then neither will I. They expect complete loyalty from their fans, even when they are not loyal to those same fans. Hacks me off as a long term, loyal fan. This is enough. I will keep watching and paying attention, but that does not cost anything. I want to cheer for them, but it make it hard when they dont provide anything to cheer for.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by studcrackers » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:53 pm

and the tigers before they went to the WS lost 119 games 3 years prior, they got several high draft picks and they turned out great, made a couple good trades and got lucky on some f/a signings.

the whitesox were always finishing 2nd place every year, they werent lousy, they'd always finish over .500 and then got lucky that the majority of there pitching staff had career years, 2 years later they had one of the worst records and they just made a stupid trade so there GM can hopefully save his job.

after the rangers (who tried last year) got off to there worst start ever b/c our "top" players couldnt get anything going we changed direction in our franchise, besides we werent going to win with the type of team anyways, so we're going young now, i guarantee you'll see some improvement in the next 2 years. some look at 2009 this team goes for a run towards the playoffs, id say more like 2010 but if we contend anytime soon i'll bet our gm is more than willing to pull the trigger on a trade.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by studcrackers » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:55 pm

and the tigers before they went to the WS lost 119 games 3 years prior, they got several high draft picks and they turned out great, made a couple good trades and got lucky on some f/a signings.

the whitesox were always finishing 2nd place every year, they werent lousy, they'd always finish over .500 and then got lucky that the majority of there pitching staff had career years, 2 years later they had one of the worst records and they just made a stupid trade so there GM can hopefully save his job.

after the rangers (who tried last year) got off to there worst start ever b/c our "top" players couldnt get anything going we changed direction in our franchise, besides we werent going to win with the type of team anyways, so we're going young now, i guarantee you'll see some improvement in the next 2 years. some look at 2009 this team goes for a run towards the playoffs, id say more like 2010 but if we contend anytime soon i'll bet our gm is more than willing to pull the trigger on a trade.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by catalyst » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:57 pm

They have been saying this since the 2001 season. I dont care if hicks is your man crush. You gotta try if you want to win. This team is not trying. If they were trying, they would have gotten Hunter or Fuke. They would have been in on these trades and been a part of them, not a footnote after the trade comes down. In Dallas, if Jerry wants someone, he goes and gets him if he is available. Hicks makes sure the move will make him money first. No fan cares if a team makes money.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by catalyst » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:57 pm

Return to Texas Rangers