studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Blalock moving to 1st base 

Post#1 » by studcrackers » Mon May 19, 2008 3:17 pm

This was reported yesterday by multiple sources

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 12836.html

The two-time All-Star third baseman figured the best way to help a lineup that has clicked in his absence was to switch to first base, where production has been a problem for the Rangers since Mark Teixeira's departure last July. So Blalock made the suggestion to Ron Washington on Friday, and general manager Jon Daniels agreed it was a good idea.

Blalock, who has spent the last few weeks on the disabled list with a partially torn left hamstring, flew to Arizona on Sunday afternoon and will spend the next few days learning the position in extended spring games. He could join the team as the regular first baseman as soon as this weekend in Cleveland.

Interesting move here IMO, the best thing about the move is it will improve defense on the left side of the field. defensively the combo of young/blalock is one of the worst left sides in baseball. vazquez is a pretty good fielder and travis metcalf has always been mentioned as a superb defender. my real worry is for the rest of the season at least if vazquez will be able to be a decent hitter.

i could also see this as the beginning of the end for blalock since soon we'll have some 1st basemen waiting in the wings, also the positive about blalock moving to 1st is when elvis andrus or joaquin arias is ready (if he can ever regain his arm strength) then we can move michael young to 3rd base b/c andrus is supposed to be gold glove caliber SS.

so the real positives for this move is it will likely improve the defense and blalock should hit pretty well for a 1st basemen. i could see frank catalanatto being moved soon too since he now wont face righties and play 1st base. but blalock would have to prove he can stay healthy 1st.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#2 » by catalyst » Mon May 19, 2008 3:44 pm

What ever happened to Spider Arias?

WOuld in infield of
1st - Blalock
2nd - Young
ss Arias
3rd vazquez/Metcalf

Fire up fans? Then outfield with Hamilton/Byrd/Murphy, with Byrd out for a real CFer?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#3 » by studcrackers » Mon May 19, 2008 4:19 pm

well if hamilton can stay healthy he's our best option for CF and he can cover more ground then anyone

as for arias, he had arm troubles all season last year and hardly played in any games. his arm problems are still somewhat troublesome b/c he's pretty much been relegated to 2nd base (he's played 1 game at SS)

anyways i think the club will give andrus a chance and he'll pass up arias but maybe arias will get a chance this year.

and i think brandon boggs has a chance to replace marlon byrd permanently plus i think byrd was a fluke last year.

o and put kinsler back at 2nd we arent getting rid of him, young is going to 3rd not back to 2nd
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes

Return to Texas Rangers