Moderator: JaysRule15

Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Re: GT: YANKEES @ BLUE JAYS - Mon April 15 @ 7pm to Wed April 17 @ 3pm 

Post#301 » by Raptors Realtor » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

And while I presume he wasn't asked this, they didn't use Francis because they wanted to save him for a game in two days. Such garbage.

Varsho should have batted after hitting 2 homers, no question... but I can see why they didn't go to Francis. It's not like he's a lockdown, strike em out pitcher and he has zero experience in late game high leverage situations.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,361

Post#302 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:26 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

And while I presume he wasn't asked this, they didn't use Francis because they wanted to save him for a game in two days. Such garbage.

Varsho should have batted after hitting 2 homers, no question... but I can see why they didn't go to Francis. It's not like he's a lockdown, strike em out pitcher and he has zero experience in late game high leverage situations.

Yes, but taking your chances on that is still better than watching Mayza get destroyed by Judge in high leverage yet again. We effectively just decided to give the game away once Judge came up in favour of trying to win on Friday.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#303 » by Raptors Realtor » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:32 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes, but taking your chances on that is still better than watching Mayza get destroyed by Judge in high leverage yet again. We effectively just decided to give the game away once Judge came up in favour of trying to win on Friday.

Idk I trust the experienced Mayza in that situation against Judge over Bowden.

You know who would have been great in that situation... Pearson... Why was he sent down before Francis?
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,845

Post#304 » by Hottie McShotty » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:47 pm

I think Mayza comes in with the bases empty he gets the save and we win this game.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,547

Post#305 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:48 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:The trade was always a good one though it becomes completely obvious that is the case with even decent offensive years by Varsho and Kirk (which both are fully capable of).

It really wasn't a great trade if last year was the barometer. Moreno had a better season than Varsho, while also being 4 years younger. Varsho would need to significantly outproduce Moreno for the trade to be a win for us. If they continue to produce at a similar level (or if Moreno leapfrogs him), Arizona won the trade.

The Jays have 2 better catchers than Moreno (including one that is basically his age) and got the best defensive player in baseball out of the deal. Long-term was always gonna be the issue with it, but unless Moreno somehow learns to hit for any power (which doesn’t appear likely), I’m not too worried about this one long-term either.

Positional need is irrelevant. It's like drafting for positional need instead of picking the BPA.

Varsho and Moreno produced at almost an identical level last year (Moreno was a bit more valuable according to both fWAR and bWAR). In no world is trading a player who is 4 years younger for someone who produces at the same level a good trade. Especially when that 4-year younger player was at the peak of his value as a prospect. I refuse to believe a top-5 prospect couldn't net you more than an older version of his current self (they both play premium positions).
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#306 » by Hottie McShotty » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:48 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:

Idk I trust the experienced Mayza in that situation against Judge over Bowden.

You know who would have been great in that situation... Pearson... Why was he sent down before Francis?

Exactly. Another dumb move by this FO. I can't wait when it's over. What a disgrace.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,578

Post#307 » by bluerap23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:I think Mayza comes in with the bases empty he gets the save and we win this game.

Definitely rushed Romano and Swanson back for no reason. Pearson was pitching well.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,361

Post#308 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
It really wasn't a great trade if last year was the barometer. Moreno had a better season than Varsho, while also being 4 years younger. Varsho would need to significantly outproduce Moreno for the trade to be a win for us. If they continue to produce at a similar level (or if Moreno leapfrogs him), Arizona won the trade.

The Jays have 2 better catchers than Moreno (including one that is basically his age) and got the best defensive player in baseball out of the deal. Long-term was always gonna be the issue with it, but unless Moreno somehow learns to hit for any power (which doesn’t appear likely), I’m not too worried about this one long-term either.

Positional need is irrelevant. It's like drafting for positional need instead of picking the BPA.

Varsho and Moreno produced at almost an identical level last year (Moreno was a bit more valuable according to both fWAR and bWAR). In no world is trading a player who is 4 years younger for someone who produces at the same level a good trade. Especially when that 4-year younger player was at the peak of his value as a prospect. I refuse to believe a top-5 prospect couldn't net you more than an older version of his current self (they both play premium positions).

Positional need is obviously relevant in evaluating the trade. They very clearly couldn't go into another season with 3 major league caliber catchers in the organization and made the choice to trade one of them. In doing so, they acquired the best defensive player in the game with the ceiling of a 5-6 WAR player. In doing so, they also made the choice to bet on Kirk (who presumably could have garnered just as much as Moreno in trade given his age and production in 2022).

It remains to be seen how that bet on Kirk will go (his offense has fallen off though he's also become one of the best defensive catchers in baseball since the trade), but projection systems still very much like him.

Ultimately, there's a very real possibility that Varsho is going to end this season as the Jays' WAR leader (or co-leader with Bichette) with even average offense and that both Kirk/Jansen have better seasons than Moreno in 2024. People can cry about hypothetical trade value for prospects all they want (we'll never know if someone better than Varsho was available to them, so it's pointless), but I find it absurd to be harping over this deal two years later considering all of the other ACTUAL bad moves this FO has made and their rigid methods of game management that have cost this team for multiple seasons now.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#309 » by Hottie McShotty » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 am

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/video/schneider-ejected-after-arguing-strike-call-on-guerrero-jr/

wow Schneider is a POS. did anyone read his lips? Some pretty awful things were said to that ump. Ump was calling that pitch a strike for both teams all night long. That's on you and your players for not recognizing it and adjusting to the strike zone.

Schneider you need to STFU. Do a better job of managing your bullpen and your lineup next time. Loser.
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 559

Post#310 » by linery88 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:25 am

Mehar wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:Wow Judge kills Mayza again I'm totally shocked I've literally never seen this before.

I was there at the Rogers Centre when Judge crushed Home Run 61 against Mayza, so not a surprise. Only an idiot like Schneider can mismanage the bullpen like he did. He did not get burned yesterday, but of course his stupidity will prevent a sweep of a Division Rival.

Judge looked like **** all day against Gausman,a RHP.
I dont know how you dont go to Francis there.
One of the easiest moves to make.
PowerPlant1
Junior
And1: 186

Post#311 » by PowerPlant1 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:36 am

I would have gone with Pearson for the save today with Mayza or Swanson backing him up. Does this org even bother to pay attention to stats? For all the analytics, why aren't Swanson or Romano's rehab stats taken into consideration?

Also in triple A buffalo we have: Barger 304 AVG, 935 OPS, Martinez 296 AVG, 875 OPS, Horwitz 365 AVG, 1029 OPS, Robertson (an outfielder that has kinda come out of nowhere) 367 AVG, 1.413 OPS.

On a team that is offensively challenged, are you telling me there is no room for players like these? Other than a recent spurt by Varsho which I hope he can continue, our OF offense is putrid.

Thankfully Clement and Schneider are being given a chance. Not a good enough one of course.

Seriously, the Orioles have developed their young players. Ours are on the doorstep but this logjam is mindless and due to acquisitions like IKF and Vogelbach.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,063

Post#312 » by rarefind » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:43 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/video/schneider-ejected-after-arguing-strike-call-on-guerrero-jr/

wow Schneider is a POS. did anyone read his lips? Some pretty awful things were said to that ump. Ump was calling that pitch a strike for both teams all night long. That's on you and your players for not recognizing it and adjusting to the strike zone.

Schneider you need to STFU. Do a better job of managing your bullpen and your lineup next time. Loser.

But it has to be somebody else's fault.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,578

Post#313 » by bluerap23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:The Jays have 2 better catchers than Moreno (including one that is basically his age) and got the best defensive player in baseball out of the deal. Long-term was always gonna be the issue with it, but unless Moreno somehow learns to hit for any power (which doesn’t appear likely), I’m not too worried about this one long-term either.

Positional need is obviously relevant in evaluating the trade. They very clearly couldn't go into another season with 3 major league caliber catchers in the organization and made the choice to trade one of them. In doing so, they acquired the best defensive player in the game with the ceiling of a 5-6 WAR player. In doing so, they also made the choice to bet on Kirk (who presumably could have garnered just as much as Moreno in trade given his age and production in 2022).

It remains to be seen how that bet on Kirk will go (his offense has fallen off though he's also become one of the best defensive catchers in baseball since the trade), but projection systems still very much like him.

Ultimately, there's a very real possibility that Varsho is going to end this season as the Jays' WAR leader (or co-leader with Bichette) with even average offense and that both Kirk/Jansen have better seasons than Moreno in 2024. People can cry about hypothetical trade value for prospects all they want (we'll never know if someone better than Varsho was available to them, so it's pointless), but I find it absurd to be harping over this deal two years later considering all of the other ACTUAL bad moves this FO has made and their rigid methods of game management that have cost this team for multiple seasons now.

And promptly stuck him in LF where his talents are largely wasted...
A nice display of impatience and foolishness.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#314 » by Hottie McShotty » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/video/blue-jays-bullpen-couldve-really-used-pearson-in-blown-game-vs-yanks/

This FO has no clue what they are doing. They rushed Swanson and Romano back with an off day coming up and knowing Chad Greene was injured and they send Pearson down who has been one of our best relievers this season. :crazy:
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 559

Post#315 » by linery88 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/video/blue-jays-bullpen-couldve-really-used-pearson-in-blown-game-vs-yanks/

This FO has no clue what they are doing. They rushed Swanson and Romano back with an off day coming up and knowing Chad Greene was injured and they send Pearson down who has been one of our best relievers this year. :crazy:

Pearson would have destroyed Judge,and maybe sent him into a slump.Yankees offense looked worse than ours.You have to bury them there.
This is a 60-Anal 40-Baseball...Team.No baseball killer instinct.Sending Pearson,a guy who was throwing triple digits,and pitching well is not good killer instinct.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,230

Post#316 » by Madvillainy2004 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:The Jays have 2 better catchers than Moreno (including one that is basically his age) and got the best defensive player in baseball out of the deal. Long-term was always gonna be the issue with it, but unless Moreno somehow learns to hit for any power (which doesn’t appear likely), I’m not too worried about this one long-term either.

As far as what the Jays needed and the value or Moreno and Kirk I'm not sure there were that many (or any) better options out there. Varsho was 28th in fWAR for position players in 2022. Considering Age + need + potential for more being only 27 I can't fault the thinking behind it. We were on the clock and all of baseball knew we weren't gonna go through 2023 with 3 MLB level catchers.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,772

Post#317 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:16 am

Wutang_OG post the new game thread bro/yo.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,417

Post#318 » by Ranger One » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:42 am

Man, this place is a graveyard. No game threads after the game has already started, barely 5 people posting regularly. Sad times.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,502
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#319 » by SharoneWright » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:46 am

Move Turner up into the 2-hole.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays