Head Coach
And1: 7,247

Re: Jays vs Rays - May 22 to 25, 2023 

Post#181 » by Madvillainy2004 » Thu May 25, 2023 9:40 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
PowerPlant1 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

He doesn't have it right. The 'you' was not Schneider's trade but our foolish GM's trade. Varsho sucks offensively, is among the team worst in OPS and has to go in lefty on lefty with the game on the line?

Clement's AAA #s this year, not career, this year are: .328 and 920 OPS and he has some recent MLB experience. Probably better to sub with a non AAA player if they could have, but yes, I have no problem benching Varsho in a run producing situation.

The trade itself is the real embarrassment, not not playing the crummy offensive result of it.

Benching Varsho based on a less than month sample size with a minor leaguer is objectively a terrible decision.

Also he shouldn't even be batting 2nd in that case if he's gonna get pinch hit for in the biggest spot of the game lmao
PowerPlant1
Junior
And1: 189

Post#182 » by PowerPlant1 » Thu May 25, 2023 9:42 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
PowerPlant1 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

He doesn't have it right. The 'you' was not Schneider's trade but our foolish GM's trade. Varsho sucks offensively, is among the team worst in OPS and has to go in lefty on lefty with the game on the line?

Clement's AAA #s this year, not career, this year are: .328 and 920 OPS and he has some recent MLB experience. Probably better to sub with a non AAA player if they could have, but yes, I have no problem benching Varsho in a run producing situation.

The trade itself is the real embarrassment, not not playing the crummy offensive result of it.

Benching Varsho based on a less than month sample size with a minor leaguer is objectively a terrible decision.

Sorry that is debatable. Small sample size is riding the hot hand nonetheless even if AAA sample.

That small sample size doesn't mean Clement all of a sudden knows how to hit. Just that he may be on a good streak and the manager hopes to take advantage of it. That isn't objectively a bad decision.

It is questionable for sure especially if there are other MLB options to pinch hit.

But at this point, the season looks dead anyway so I say why not?
GameChannel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,099

Post#183 » by GameChannel » Thu May 25, 2023 9:53 pm

I feel bad for the fans and season tickets holders who have had to pay through the nose for this **** of a team.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,823

Post#184 » by Raps in 4 » Thu May 25, 2023 10:08 pm

GameChannel wrote:I feel bad for the fans and season tickets holders who have had to pay through the nose for this **** of a team.

I don't. They're what enables this mediocrity.

Stop buying season tickets and let the team earn your money.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,299

Post#185 » by Mehar » Thu May 25, 2023 10:36 pm

I did not see the whole game, but I was just left puzzled by our manager. Maybe he was the problem all along and not Montoyo. You are trying to beat the Rays, and yesterday he has Nathan Lukes and Ernie Clement starting. Why not put out the same lineup that produced 20 Runs two days ago, with the same lineup yesterday and today?

I am for all giving your players rest days, but how come this clown Schneider cannot better manage rest days, especially playing against your rivals? Today I see Biggio starting, and Lukes batting 6th. Unfortunately, Biggio hitting a home run yesterday bought him two more months on the roster. He makes a costly error on a tailor made Double Play ball today that cost this team a run. It seems like Schneider just wants to make everyone happy and give everyone their playing time. Last year Tapia started so many games it was a head scratcher. This year you got scrubs like Biggio, Lukes and Clement getting playing time against a key division rival. Ernie Clement had no business pinch hitting for Varsho in that spot with the bases loaded.

Part of me just wants this team to miss the playoffs and finish dead last in their division, so Rogers Ownership can clean house with everyone involved in this organization- from Shapiro/Atkins to the coaches (minus maybe a Mattingly) and start from scratch. 213 Million dollar payroll team that is paying a luxury tax, and looking like garbage against your division rivals. Not what I had hoped for at this point in the season, but that is where we are sitting right now.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,513

Post#186 » by dagger » Thu May 25, 2023 10:51 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
GameChannel wrote:I feel bad for the fans and season tickets holders who have had to pay through the nose for this **** of a team.

I don't. They're what enables this mediocrity.

Stop buying season tickets and let the team earn your money.

We also had lots of years of that and all we had was Beeston saying he’d spend when the revenue justified it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,235

Post#187 » by RalphWiggum » Thu May 25, 2023 11:37 pm

The Jays have to send Manoah down. I don't care if his replacement is worse (which at this point I find hard to believe) the guy can't throw strikes anymore and the ones he does throw are average at best. If it were 4-5 starts I get letting him work it out in the bigs, 11 is way too many. Letting him go out there and get pounded every fifth day says there's no accountability.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#188 » by Raps in 4 » Thu May 25, 2023 11:55 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:The Jays have to send Manoah down. I don't care if his replacement is worse (which at this point I find hard to believe) the guy can't throw strikes anymore and the ones he does throw are average at best. If it were 4-5 starts I get letting him work it out in the bigs, 11 is way too many. Letting him go out there and get pounded every fifth day says there's no accountability.

Even beyond accountability, he's still an asset. The organization needs him to get his **** together, and the best place to do that is in the minors.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,458

Post#189 » by Ranger One » Thu May 25, 2023 11:57 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:The Jays have to send Manoah down. I don't care if his replacement is worse (which at this point I find hard to believe) the guy can't throw strikes anymore and the ones he does throw are average at best. If it were 4-5 starts I get letting him work it out in the bigs, 11 is way too many. Letting him go out there and get pounded every fifth day says there's no accountability.

They need to tell him to stop being a FAT ****! Its ridiculous that a professional "athlete" is allowed to get so morbidly obese. The guy is huffing and puffing after every inning like he ran a marathon with the increased pace of play resulting from the pitch clock. Same goes for Kirk too. How many outs has he cost us with his inability to run the bases? And moreover, how many runs has he given up to the other team due to not being able to throw runners out and teams running on him AT WILL! All because hes too fat to get up quickly from his crouched position and make a throw. Ridiculous that we're paying these so called professionals millions of dollars per year and they're just allowed to stuff their faces without any repercussions or accountability. Where is the pride? where is the team culture of winning and hard work? God i wish we could institute the Miami Heat culture into this team lmao. They actually have weight and fitness quotas that their players need to uphold. In baseball though? Nah! just balloon up all you like with nay a **** being given.
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#190 » by Asianiac_24 » Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 am

Honestly, having a fan raffle every game to manage the team is better than the manager we have now. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to schedule rest days for players against teams that are not AL East teams. Against any AL East teams, the lineup should be set in stone:

Springer
Bichette
Vlad
Chapman
Varsho
Whit
Kirk/Jansen
DH(Belt,Kirk,Jansen)
KK

No ifs or buts. Every game against the AL East teams could mean the difference between division champs, WC spot, and out of playoffs entirely. Yet we are treating them like spring training, playing scrubs and going 6-15
Corinne
Analyst
And1: 2,641

Post#191 » by Corinne » Fri May 26, 2023 1:20 am

Does Schied actually set the lineups though? We know the FO controls pitching, perhaps it's them making these clueless decisions too?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#192 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri May 26, 2023 1:27 am

Corinne wrote:Does Schied actually set the lineups though? We know the FO controls pitching, perhaps it's them making these clueless decisions too?

The rest day stuff is definitely management.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#193 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri May 26, 2023 2:11 am

Read on Twitter

Hard to see how he'd be worse than Manoah at this point.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 571

Post#194 » by linery88 » Fri May 26, 2023 2:59 am

The lineup that scored 20 runs against a pretty good TB pitcher,and the best team in baseball.
Will we ever see this lineup again?
The players are playing like they are indifferent,and confused,and makes you wonder if all these lineup changes are pissing them off.

George Springer (R) RF
Bo Bichette (R) SS
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (R) DH
Brandon Belt (L) 1B
Matt Chapman (R) 3B
Whit Merrifield (R) 2B
Daulton Varsho (L) LF
Danny Jansen (R) C
Kevin Kiermaier (L) CF
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#195 » by DelAbbot » Fri May 26, 2023 4:29 am

First time checking in since 3 weeks ago. What's going? I thought we going to compete like 2015
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,907

Post#196 » by Hottie McShotty » Fri May 26, 2023 10:36 am

I think we traded the wrong catcher. Kirk has been a big disappointed so far this season. 7 stolen bases against?? That has got to be one of the worst games I have seen from a catcher.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,907

Post#197 » by Hottie McShotty » Fri May 26, 2023 10:47 am

DelAbbot wrote:First time checking in since 3 weeks ago. What's going? I thought we going to compete like 2015

Schneider the coaching staff and this FO have failed us. Some of the pinch hitting decisions made and some of these lineup cards is mind boggling. Bench hitting is poor. The bullpen is the same and it's still a problem. Management have had years to address this issue and they haven't. If we fall further behind, it's time to blow it up. $210 million payroll and this is what we get? SMFH..
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,299

Post#198 » by Mehar » Fri May 26, 2023 1:10 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:I think we traded the wrong catcher. Kirk has been a big disappointed so far this season. 7 stolen bases against?? That has got to be one of the worst games I have seen from a catcher.

I was hoping we would have traded Kirk last off-season. My first choice was Jansen, but his value would not have been as high as Kirk. I said it after the year was done, that Kirk's value coming off his all-star year would be very high, and his fat out of shape frame would be a problem long-term at the Catching position. Moreno was not the guy I wanted to deal, with his excellent arm at throwing runners out and defense behind the plate, 6 years of control, and being the better overall athlete at the catching position.

However, Kirk was not helped by a 300 pound Manoah on the mound yesterday, with the 7 stolen bases against. Both guys enjoyed too many Buffets this past off-season, and look 10 to 15 pounds heavier this year, when they both should have been trying to get in better shape and losing weight instead for this baseball season.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#199 » by Ado05 » Fri May 26, 2023 4:43 pm

Insane how mid this organization is.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#200 » by Raps in 4 » Fri May 26, 2023 5:08 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:I think we traded the wrong catcher. Kirk has been a big disappointed so far this season. 7 stolen bases against?? That has got to be one of the worst games I have seen from a catcher.

Meanwhile, Moreno has thrown out over 50% of runners and is hitting the ball at an average clip.

He's outplaying Kirk, Jansen, and Varsho this season. And he's only 23. It looks like we might have gotten fleeced. Who could have seen that coming though?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays