ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nationals @ Jays / Aug 28-30

Moderator: JaysRule15

tripa
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,352

Re: GT: Nationals @ Jays / Aug 28-30 

Post#221 » by tripa » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:17 am

Fairview4Life wrote:When people are complaining about the lineup or the batting order it’s because the team is doing dumb shot like playing Espinal, Biggio and Dejong at the same time, or having Biggio hit 4th or some ****. Just trash decisions. “Oh it’s all the front office”. Cool, fire them too.

Those guys are playing because of injuries. Biggio only hits high in the lineup because of injuries.

But you knew this already and just enjoy complaining.
tripa
Lead Assistant

Post#222 » by tripa » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:19 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
It can be both at once. Who is going to pick up the deadweight? Will the manager rescue the players, or will the players rescue the manager? Nobody is stepping up.

The manager can't rescue stars from slumping or not performing up to expectations. Like I said there are certain team sports like basketball where chemistry is key. Guys have to play together, the coach can run certain plays to make guys more effective. When vladdy is up to bat in the clutch what is John Schneider gonna do hold his hand and swing with him? Yell things like "you got this vlad we believe in you?" He can't make guys hit or improve their hand eye coordination, strike zone recognition and plate discipline. Thats individual player ability.

I agree. There’s no (negligible) chemistry in baseball. It’s percentages.

And that’s why Schneider sucks. He can’t see the percentages.

But….. he was only hired for “chemistry” —/ because he “grew up” with these young guys in the minors. And they loved him.

So you’re right. His hand-holding doesn’t work/is nonexistent at the plate. But that’s why they hired him.

Players matter! So does the manager.

Schneider cant see the percentages now? You guys just said all of his decisions were based on “algorithms” last series.

Which one is it?
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,327

Post#223 » by Mehar » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:20 am

tripa wrote:Most of the manager’s decisions are preplanned by the front office. Thats why things like the bullpen were managed the exact same way when Montoyo was here.

Theres an entire team of people that prepares for each potential in-game move, it isnt just Schneider managing on “feel”. There just isnt a huge win differential between Schneider and Don Mattingly, for example. They would both produce relatively the same results with the same front office. This isnt like the NBA at all.

Its on the players.

It should be also on the front office that assembled these players, hired these coaches/managers, and the scouting department. We have a minor league farm system that is one of the worst in MLB. We have a 213 million dollar payroll, that is three times the Orioles and Rays, and about 80 million more than the Mariners. It is about time this Toronto joke Media and the fans, stop giving the Kid Gloves treatment to Ross Atkins and Shapiro. Everyone knew we needed another dependable bat at the deadline, and the response of Atkins was that he liked the team, and the "hitters need to hit better". People might disagree whether or not the Manager and Coaches would make a difference with the team, since it is "on the players" who are performing poorly. Surely, everyone can agree that with this being the 8th season of Ross Atkins, he needs to be shown the door after the year, since he assembled these hitters who have been a disgrace with RISP all year.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,532
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#224 » by SharoneWright » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:20 am

tripa wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:When people are complaining about the lineup or the batting order it’s because the team is doing dumb shot like playing Espinal, Biggio and Dejong at the same time, or having Biggio hit 4th or some ****. Just trash decisions. “Oh it’s all the front office”. Cool, fire them too.

Those guys are playing because of injuries. Biggio only hits high in the lineup because of injuries.

Merrifield hasn’t been injured at all. I don’t think that Biggio should be inserted for nearly any other position or reason. Maybe the occasional spot-start in the outfield considering we have only 3 real outfielders. Not that that was a management oversight at all…
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,926

Post#225 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:21 am

tripa wrote:

And scheduled days off after a day off. And just some other times when the team wants to give guys a break.

But you knew that already and just enjoy being a prick.

Hey I know, maybe a team slowly falling out of a playoff position could put their best players on the field more often.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
tripa
Lead Assistant

Post#226 » by tripa » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:22 am

SharoneWright wrote:
tripa wrote:

Merrifield hasn’t been injured at all. I don’t think that Biggio should be inserted for nearly any other position or reason. Maybe the occasional spot-start in the outfield considering we have only 3 real outfielders. Not that that was a management oversight at all…

What? This is barely english.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,798
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#227 » by Boogie! » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:22 am

tripa wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
The manager can't rescue stars from slumping or not performing up to expectations. Like I said there are certain team sports like basketball where chemistry is key. Guys have to play together, the coach can run certain plays to make guys more effective. When vladdy is up to bat in the clutch what is John Schneider gonna do hold his hand and swing with him? Yell things like "you got this vlad we believe in you?" He can't make guys hit or improve their hand eye coordination, strike zone recognition and plate discipline. Thats individual player ability.

I agree. There’s no (negligible) chemistry in baseball. It’s percentages.

And that’s why Schneider sucks. He can’t see the percentages.

But….. he was only hired for “chemistry” —/ because he “grew up” with these young guys in the minors. And they loved him.

So you’re right. His hand-holding doesn’t work/is nonexistent at the plate. But that’s why they hired him.

Players matter! So does the manager.

Schneider cant see the percentages now? You guys just said all of his decisions were based on “algorithms” last series.

Which one is it?

So the Orioles are a good team with risp because Brandon Hyde plays percentages better?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
tripa
Lead Assistant

Post#228 » by tripa » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:23 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
tripa wrote:

And scheduled days off after a day off. And just some other times when the team wants to give guys a break.

Hey I know, maybe a team slowly falling out of a playoff position could put their best players on the field more often.

Scheduled days off are determined by the front office. Thank you for proving my point.

The Jays tried to rush Bo back and play Chapman everyday and now theyre both injured! Yay!
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#229 » by SharoneWright » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:24 am

tripa wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
tripa wrote:

Biggio only plays because Merrifield is forced to be the 4th outfielder. He’s a 2nd baseman.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,926

Post#230 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:24 am

tripa wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
tripa wrote:

Scheduled days off are determined by the front office. Thank you for proving my point.

“Cool, fire them too”. Thanks for reading my post.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,452

Post#231 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:24 am

tripa wrote:Berrios gives up 5 runs today regardless of who our manager is

Well that’s not exactly true. I posted that I wanted him pulled him before the 3 run HR given that he was getting hit hard all game with terrible stuff.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
tripa
Lead Assistant

Post#232 » by tripa » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:24 am

SharoneWright wrote:
tripa wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

Biggio only plays because Merrifield is forced to be the 4th outfielder. He’s a 2nd baseman.

Yes, injuries are a thing. What is your point?
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#233 » by Boogie! » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:24 am

Vladdy is like top 5 in hardest hit balls in the league, so naturally he should have more home runs than shohei ohtani right now?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#234 » by SharoneWright » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:25 am

tripa wrote:

Which one is it?

I never said that
tripa
Lead Assistant

Post#235 » by tripa » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:25 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
tripa wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

“Cool, fire them too”. Thanks for reading my post.

Great, hopefully the next front office never has to deal with injuries and has 25 allstars.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#236 » by Boogie! » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:25 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:

Well that’s not exactly true. I posted that I wanted him pulled him before the 3 run HR given that he was getting hit hard all game with terrible stuff.

So youre just gonna pull ecery pitcher after 4 innings even though they've given up only 0 - 2 runs because theyve been getting hit hard?
tripa
Lead Assistant

Post#237 » by tripa » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:26 am

Boogie! wrote:Vladdy is like top 5 in hardest hit balls in the league, so naturally he should have more home runs than shohei ohtani right now?

Launch angle.
tripa
Lead Assistant

Post#238 » by tripa » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:27 am

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

So youre just gonna pull ecery pitcher after 4 innings even though they've given up only 0 - 2 runs because theyve been getting hit hard?

Yes. He complains every night in the 5th inning about the same thing. The ultimate backseat gamer. Thats why I had to put him on ignore.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#239 » by SharoneWright » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:27 am

tripa wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
tripa wrote:

Yes, injuries are a thing. What is your point?

We don’t have an outfield roster that can handle day-to-day playing time, let alone injuries.

Our 4th outfielder is a 2nd baseman. Hence, Biggio fills in more often.

Is my point.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,452

Post#240 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:29 am

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

In a must win game like this one with less than 30 games to go and a fresh Bowden Francis available (who has been tremendous for this team this year), yeah I’d have little problem with it in this instance. Berrios was very lucky to have allowed only 2 runs at the time he got hit for his 2nd HR.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays