GT: Nationals @ Jays / Aug 28-30

Moderator: JaysRule15

Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,601

Re: GT: Nationals @ Jays / Aug 28-30 

Post#301 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:06 pm

Merrifield must get amazing jumps because for a guy who gets as many steals as he gets he just doesn’t look that fast to me.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,299

Post#302 » by Mehar » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:11 pm

JN wrote:EDIT - AFter posting this, did realize I should be positive and say nice to get a 6-0 win.

------

I think there are certain areas or times where Schneider is overcritized (bullpen mgmt at times for example, sometimes just player execution)), even though he certainly does really deserve criticism.

That being said there are still 2 things from the prior 3 games that absolutely blow my mind more than anything else - which were either stupidly instructed by mgr/coaches, or the mgr is improperly letting his players play with no constraints or common sense.

Santiago Espinal swinging at 3-0.
And the double steal on a 3-0 count yesterday in the 9th, which I think might be the dumbest thing I have seen this year.

How can a team / staff that was stressing "fundamentals" and better baserunning before the season do **** like this.

After today's win, it would be a 3 and 3 homestand against two terrible teams like the Nationals and Guardians. Needed to do much better than that to go simply .500 when you are battling for a playoff spot. Two winnable games thrown away. Espinal swinging at 3-0 was one of the most idiotic things a player can do in that situation. Kirk (who runs like a turtle) should not have been running from third base last night (if you were not going to replace him with a pinch runner). Two terrible games thrown away, regardless if Bichette and Chapman are on the IL.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#303 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:14 pm

Teoscar ties it up with a 3 run shot in Seattle. Would not be opposed to bringing him back next season (as mostly a DH and less an OF).
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#304 » by Mehar » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:22 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:Teoscar ties it up with a 3 run shot in Seattle. Would not be opposed to bringing him back next season (as mostly a DH and less an OF).

Teoscar has been one of the best hitters in MLB in August. He has now more homers and RBI's than Guerrero. However, I am not sure I want to pay him around 20 million a year on a 5 year deal, even as a DH. Teoscar was pretty average the prior 4 months, and was Striking Out at high rate. However, he has been tremendous these past 4 weeks. Credit to him, and the Mariners made the wise move not to deal him at the deadline.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#305 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:27 pm

McCoy makes a tremendous play, but ruined because the worst defensive 1B in baseball can't catch a short hop.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#306 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:29 pm

Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Teoscar ties it up with a 3 run shot in Seattle. Would not be opposed to bringing him back next season (as mostly a DH and less an OF).

Teoscar has been one of the best hitters in MLB in August. He has now more homers and RBI's than Guerrero. However, I am not sure I want to pay him around 20 million a year on a 5 year deal, even as a DH. Teoscar was pretty average the prior 4 months, and was Striking Out at high rate. However, he has been tremendous these past 4 weeks. Credit to him, and the Mariners made the wise move not to deal him at the deadline.

Don't think Teoscar gets that kind of contract given his age, what a poor fielder he is, and the down year he's had to this point.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,607

Post#307 » by HangTime » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:48 pm

OT, If Hit by Pitches were worth 2 bases, would we see a lot less of them?
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,907

Post#308 » by Hottie McShotty » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:54 pm

Series win! Does this mean I get to make the next GT?
Mehar
Analyst

Post#309 » by Mehar » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:55 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Mehar wrote:

Don't think Teoscar gets that kind of contract given his age, what a poor fielder he is, and the down year he's had to this point.

Teoscar is making 14 million this year, and will seek a raise on his new deal. The free agent market is also not that great. I can see a team offering him around 20 million a year, on a 4 or 5 year deal if he keeps this pace up. If I am wrong, and the Jays can get him for like 3 years and 45 million, I will gladly take him back as mostly as a DH.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#310 » by -MetA4- » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:58 pm

Mehar wrote:Teoscar is making 14 million this year, and will seek a raise on his new deal. The free agent market is also not that great. I can see a team offering him around 20 million a year, on a 4 or 5 year deal if he keeps this pace up. If I am wrong, and the Jays can get him for like 3 years and 45 million, I will gladly take him back as mostly as a DH.

Teoscar was hitting at a 100 wRC+ pace for pretty much the entire season prior to this month. Ain't nobody giving him $80-100 million (LOL) because he mashed for one month of the season. No chance.

"He will seek a raise". Okay LOL? He's at 1.7 fWAR going into this game. You vastly overrate his value.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#311 » by Mehar » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:04 pm

-MetA4- wrote:
Mehar wrote:Teoscar is making 14 million this year, and will seek a raise on his new deal. The free agent market is also not that great. I can see a team offering him around 20 million a year, on a 4 or 5 year deal if he keeps this pace up. If I am wrong, and the Jays can get him for like 3 years and 45 million, I will gladly take him back as mostly as a DH.

Teoscar was hitting at a 100 wRC+ pace for pretty much the entire season prior to this month. Ain't nobody giving him $80-100 million (LOL) because he mashed for one month of the season. No chance.

"He will seek a raise". Okay LOL? He's at 1.7 fWAR going into this game. You vastly overrate his value.

After some of the ridiculous contracts handed out last off-season, I am no longer certain that a desperate team would not offer Teoscar 20 million a year on a 4 or 5 year deal. This is also not a very strong free agent market. If that is not the case, I would gladly take Teoscar back as mostly as a DH. Do not want him in the RF except for the occasional start.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,692

Post#312 » by hyper316 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:51 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
hyper316 wrote:Taking my kids to today's afternoon game, first time for them. Bought them Blue Jays youth caps weeks ago and they have been looking forward to it. Let's get a win today!

If they win you have to go to every game for the rest of the year. Those are the rules.

You can blame me for every game loss from now on

It was a great game, dome was open. Jays won without hr, lots of doubles
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,692

Post#313 » by hyper316 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:43 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:McCoy makes a tremendous play, but ruined because the worst defensive 1B in baseball can't catch a short hop.

How did he go from gold glove to worst defensive 1b in 1 year?
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#314 » by COY0607 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:54 am

-MetA4- wrote:

This FA market is awful. If Teoscar finishes strong, 3yr $50-60M is not a stretch at all
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#315 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:59 am

Mets bullpen blows another 3-0 lead to lose to the Rangers. Perhaps we shouldn't have fallen 4 games behind them.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#316 » by Mehar » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:23 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:Mets bullpen blows another 3-0 lead to lose to the Rangers. Perhaps we shouldn't have fallen 4 games behind them.

Perhaps the Jays should not have blown two games that were there for the taking during this home stand against two terrible teams. Needed to do better than simply go .500 (3 and 3), against the Guardians and Nationals despite Bichette and Chapman being on the IL. Unfortunately, the Mariners get the opportunity to face this garbage Mets Bullpen for their next 3 games.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#317 » by Mehar » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:50 am

COY0607 wrote:
-MetA4- wrote:

This FA market is awful. If Teoscar finishes strong, 3yr $50-60M is not a stretch at all

I remember reading that Teoscar's agent had floated a 5 year 100 million contract in Spring Training, when the Mariners had asked what it would take to get a possible extension done. That is the same number Nick Castellanos had signed for last off-season. Based on how awful the free agent market is, I can see Teoscar getting 20 million a year for 4 or 5 years if he keeps his hot pace up until the end of the year. Teoscar right now has very similar offensive numbers with Castellanos up to this point, and based on how teams were handing out ridiculous contracts last off-season, it is not a stretch for Teoscar to get 20 million a year.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,314

Post#318 » by Parataxis » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:10 am

HangTime wrote:OT, If Hit by Pitches were worth 2 bases, would we see a lot less of them?

Probably more. Most of the time, a HBP isn't intentional. But if you get a double for getting beaned, you're going to see a lot more hitters fail at getting out of the way.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,953

Post#319 » by JN » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:28 am

Well the Rangers followed up the Mets blowing the game with blowing it themselves.

So at least we gained ground of somebody. The nice part is that being 3.5 gamrs behind 3 teams rather than 1, makes catching somebody easier. The bad part is you need to still win.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,823

Post#320 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:39 am

Looks like Texas doesn't want to make the playoffs either. Might come down to who wants it less between us and them.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays