ST: Blue Jays @ Yankees - July 25-27

Moderator: JaysRule15

Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Re: ST: Blue Jays @ Yankees - July 25-27 

Post#761 » by Avenger » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Mehar wrote:
Obviously you do not give him a 5 year big money deal that would be an albatross, but for around 3 years and 30-33M like some have speculated that it would take to get him back, i would do it. I give Melky the benefit of the doubt last year because he was not healthy. If you let Melky walk, i do not see better options in LF for this team in Buffalo or anywhere else. Rasmus in all certainty will not be back as well, but you have Gose to replace him.

Lateral Quicks wrote:
I agree he's turned into a one-dimensional player, but he's pretty good at that one dimension (when tumours-in-back-free) and we're unlikely to find anyone better for cheaper. I wouldn't want to commit to him long-term either, but a one or two year deal at $10M per would be digestible. That would save us from the unenviable position of filling two outfield holes (assuming Rasmus isn't back) instead of just one.

Melky's gonna get the years though, so a two year deal is pretty much out of the question. The cheapest you can get him for in my estimation is 4 years 60 million but more likely 5 years 70-75 million.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#762 » by Mehar » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:01 pm

Avenger wrote:Melky's gonna get the years though, so a two year deal is pretty much out of the question. The cheapest you can get him for in my estimation is 4 years 60 million but more likely 5 years 70-75 million.

At that rate- i would not obviously do it. However, just like everyone expected Stephen Drew, Nelson Cruz and others to get big long-term deals last year, i really do not see teams lining up to give Cabrera 5 Years and 75 M. I would only sign this guy back for 3 years at the most though, so if a team offers him 5, i wish Cabrera all the best elsewhere.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#763 » by Steelo Green » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:05 pm

3-35 for Melky is fair.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#764 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Avenger wrote:No, don't pay Melky, he's one a skill guy(great contact ability) that can't do anything else and he's awful on defence. Let him be the next great Yankee albatross contract. I'd give him the qualifying offer though, he'd be okay on a one year contract but giving him big money screams disaster

And besides that "saved money" will go to raises for the most part, if Rogers wants to expand payroll there are smarter ways to spend that money, maybe call up teh Rangers and ask for Choo if they're willing to eat a lot of salary, now that they're rebuilding they have absolutely no need for Choo.

You don't want to pay Melky but you want to take on Choo's contract? Melky has been a top 15 outfielder in baseball this season offensively, and while he isn't a great defender he isn't completely useless. Obviously you don't want to overpay or give him too many years, but he has been awesome this year and it's silly to think otherwise.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#765 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Melky's also slugging .472 (higher than Cespedes, Werth, Rios, Pence and a full 100 points higher than Choo), so he's far from a one-dimensional player.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#766 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:07 pm

RaptorsFTL wrote:3-35 for Melky is fair.

Even that I'm not sure I do. His poor 2013, the PED infraction, and the fact he is a one-dimensional guy at this point are all going to hurt him in the market. Anything more than two years isn't worth the risk, so if someone offers that up I'd say wish him good luck and move on.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#767 » by Steelo Green » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:

Even that I'm not sure I do. His poor 2013, the PED infraction, and the fact he is a one-dimensional guy at this point are all going to hurt him in the market. Anything more than two years isn't worth the risk, so if someone offers that up I'd say wish him good luck and move on.

Again for me, if we have the pockets, you keep him. This is all hanging on if we make the playoffs. If we do, he stays, if we don't, he's a Red Sock or Yankee.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#768 » by Michael Bradley » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:10 pm

At the very least, it looks like the Jays could give him the QO and he's not guaranteed to accept it. So either the Jays get him back on an expensive one year deal (fine with me) or he leaves and the Jays get picks, which I'm sure Alex will be fine with.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Reimold is already considered the 2015 LF, assuming Rogers continues to not spend anymore or spend way less next year.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#769 » by vaff87 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:

You mean when he had a tumour up against his spine? How dare he struggle!
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#770 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:13 pm

vaff87 wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:

It's indicative of elevated future health risk. I think everyone understands his performance suffered as a result of the tumours.
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#771 » by MikeM » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:

It's indicative of elevated future health risk. I think everyone understands his performance suffered as a result of the tumours.

Is it really?
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#772 » by Avenger » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Tyrone Slothrop wrote:
You don't want to pay Melky but you want to take on Choo's contract?

If they're willing to eat a lot of money yeah, i think Choo is a very good bounce back candidate and his OBP skills will age pretty well.
Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Post#773 » by Illuminati_ » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:

hilarious when fans debate about money they dont have. for some reason fans are cheap as well. Hes far from one dimensional if you check out his slugging %.
Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Post#774 » by Illuminati_ » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 pm

How is Gose a replacement for rasmus. If you can bring rasmus back short term id look at it as gose has yet to prove hes an every day OF.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#775 » by Michael Bradley » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Gose is a replacement for Rasmus because he's a CF, already in the organization, and makes nothing for three more years. That's basically it. Outside of Pompey being fast tracked to AAA by season's end, the Jays really have no one else that is even close.

I wonder if signing Rasmus cheaply for one year (not the QO) to recoup his value for the 2016 off-season is possible. This is one time the Jays may have some attractiveness since they play in a HR hitting park and Rasmus has already had some success there. I doubt he gets the long-term big money deal he desires after an injury riddled season where his numbers are down. Might be beneficial for him to take the one year deal with the Jays, but again, it comes down to money. I doubt the Jays will give him the QO on the really good chance he accepts it.

Melky will be tougher to bring back, and as mentioned, he's still young enough to get 5 years depending on how highly teams think of him.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#776 » by Santoki » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Illuminati_ wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:

hilarious when fans debate about money they dont have. for some reason fans are cheap as well. Hes far from one dimensional if you check out his slugging %.

Because we end up with an ownership group that puts salary parameters in place for the team. So, clearly, we have to worry about how that money is doled out.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,631

Post#777 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Pay him his money. Best top 4 in baseball for about 60 million (I think, haven't checked)? That seems reasonable. Pay the guys that produce.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#778 » by Ado05 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:46 pm

I would give him anywhere from 4/48-4/60.

He's probably been our most consistent hitter, or at least in the top 3.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#779 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Unless Rogers is trimming the team budget next year, there's going to be plenty of money to re-sign Melky. Melky, Morrow, Happ, Santos, Rasmus, and others are all coming off the books. The question is whether we can sign him to a contract that makes sense for both sides, and whether the available money can be spent better elsewhere (e.g. on a front-line starter).
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#780 » by Raider917 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:00 am

how much extra revenue can making the playoffs generate for next year?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays