ImageImageImageImageImage

Can we get someone better than Mike Wilner?

Moderator: JaysRule15

Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Can we get someone better than Mike Wilner? 

Post#1 » by Death Knight » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:58 am

We already have to deal with Eric Smith and Paul Jones on the basketball side, but then we have Mike Wilner for our baseball team, who is 10x worse than E Smith and Jonesy. Most unbelievable thing is how he loves to tell every caller and everyone from the media that they are wrong and he is the only who is right.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Re: Can we get someone better than Mike Wilner? 

Post#2 » by torontoaces04 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:24 am

It's not over until September 10th, don't you remember what this team did in May?!??!
Regulator
Sixth Man
And1: 2,056

Post#3 » by Regulator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:03 am

To him we are all really dumb fans. He's just a Rogers mouthpiece. It's early, it's early.... Go f yourself. Also, why even do Jay's talk if you sound like it's the last thing you want to do.
Macho
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,422

Post#4 » by Macho » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 am

He's the worst, he has zero redeeming qualities.
Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Post#5 » by Illuminati_ » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:01 am

Seems like he has a legion of sheep tho. always hear callers on other shows on the fan 590 rave about how hes smarter than THEM and the greatest analyst lol.

for people who cant think for themselves hes great. why does he sitll have a job?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,329

Post#6 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:26 am

Death Knight wrote:We already have to deal with Eric Smith and Paul Jones on the basketball side, but then we have Mike Wilner for our baseball team, who is 10x worse than E Smith and Jonesy. Most unbelievable thing is how he loves to tell every caller and everyone from the media that they are wrong and he is the only who is right.

Considering the morons who actually call him, most of the time he is.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#7 » by Raps_Swingman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:51 am

His knowledge of the game is good but hes an arrogant wiener with a very annoying voice.

I get his point about not overreacting all the time but he takes it too far. Sometimes you need to realize that the team is trending in the wrong direction and its visible, no matter what some stats tell you.

It's the whole debate of numbers vs. watching the games/team. I think a lot of us could see this team wasn't getting better and their front office didn't help them out when it was tight for the AL East.
That's what she said.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,192

Post#8 » by Hoopstarr » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:37 pm

An arrogant, pedantic jerk who will fight you tooth and nail until the original topic is unrecognizable so he can be right? Sounds familiar.

He's the ultimate shill. Back when I used to listen to him, he'd count "hard hit balls" as victories. "They just weren't falling", he'd say. He also once wrote off Tony Gwynn as a overrated "singles hitter".
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#9 » by dagger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Raps_Swingman wrote:His knowledge of the game is good but hes an arrogant wiener with a very annoying voice.

I get his point about not overreacting all the time but he takes it too far. Sometimes you need to realize that the team is trending in the wrong direction and its visible, no matter what some stats tell you.

It's the whole debate of numbers vs. watching the games/team. I think a lot of us could see this team wasn't getting better and their front office didn't help them out when it was tight for the AL East.

Given the Jays' win-loss record since June, their current place in the standings, only an irrational optimist - or corporate toady - would tell fans to remain optimistic. Now, that doesn't mean you can't hope for one of those rare surges that is so good, it would be remembered for decades. But I would argue that you can't take optimism out of its context, and that context is that this team has given no particular reason, this season or in recent seasons, to be irrationally optimistic.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#10 » by Mehar » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:An arrogant, pedantic jerk who will fight you tooth and nail until the original topic is unrecognizable so he can be right? Sounds familiar.

He's the ultimate shill. Back when I used to listen to him, he'd count "hard hit balls" as victories. "They just weren't falling", he'd say. He also once wrote off Tony Gwynn as a overrated "singles hitter".

That is the reason i call this guy Mike Shillner. Frankly, i do not listen to the post-game show anymore. I caught him on the radio the other day driving around, and when he said that there was still 6 weeks of baseball left and to be positive to one caller, i frankly wanted to throw up and turned the radio off. I just cannot stand listening to this guy.

I honestly do believe that he does not believe half of the stuff he says, but being the good Rogers Corporate Kiss Ass Shill that he is; he wants to keep his job so bad that he will do anything to paint a positive image of the team. In that sense, he does a good job since he has been gainfully employed for so many years with this act of his. I much rather prefer Greg Zaun who is not afraid to speak his mind.

Mike Shillner might be a good guy who knows baseball, but his "It's Early" and regularly being arrogant to even some of the good callers, means that somebody else should get the shot of being the host of the post-game show. Then again, maybe Rogers tells him to continue to be a shill, and paint a positive image of the team, to distract from the 21 years of post-season failure of this pathetic franchise.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#11 » by MikeM » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:12 pm

The problem is that conjecture or prognostication is his enemy. He will literally not say the Jays season is done until it's actually he done. To separate himself from the fans and to make himself look smarter, he will always play the "just relax you plebs" card because technically he's right. The season's not over yet.

If the Jays were at 100 wins already I bet my life he'd still be saying "it's early and they haven't made the playoffs yet!".
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#12 » by C Court » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:08 am

Just had the FAN on in the car and Wilner was on. I can barely stand listening to the arrogant douche.

McCown disagrees with callers all the time, but even he doesn't come across as condescending like Wilner does.

As far as homers go, I call a three way tie between Jones, Smith and Wilner.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#13 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:10 am

Hoopstarr wrote:An arrogant, pedantic jerk who will fight you tooth and nail until the original topic is unrecognizable so he can be right? Sounds familiar.

Enjoyed this shot, keep bringing that hate. :D
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#14 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:12 am

MikeM wrote:The problem is that conjecture or prognostication is his enemy. He will literally not say the Jays season is done until it's actually he done. To separate himself from the fans and to make himself look smarter, he will always play the "just relax you plebs" card because technically he's right. The season's not over yet.

And why should he? Predicting baseball is quite futile. Look no further than the Orioles and Royals leading their divisions right now.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#15 » by spykelee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:06 am

:lol:
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#16 » by Raps_Swingman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:41 am

dagger wrote:
Raps_Swingman wrote:His knowledge of the game is good but hes an arrogant wiener with a very annoying voice.

Given the Jays' win-loss record since June, their current place in the standings, only an irrational optimist - or corporate toady - would tell fans to remain optimistic. Now, that doesn't mean you can't hope for one of those rare surges that is so good, it would be remembered for decades. But I would argue that you can't take optimism out of its context, and that context is that this team has given no particular reason, this season or in recent seasons, to be irrationally optimistic.

Exactly. I understand when people say trade Bautista and Edwin and all this and dream of us picking up **** bags like Prince Fielder he has a right to give those people the gears. But when an informed person challenges him that his team isn't playing well and looks done he doesn't even touch on the point, 37 more games, 3 games back, recite, recite, Rogers in my mouth, recite.

I met him once and he comes across as an arrogant dink. So i really have no time for him.

Joe Sids though is a great addition, love him and Jerry on the radio.
That's what she said.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#17 » by Death Knight » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:21 pm

dagger wrote:

Wilner loves to bring up the fact that for every bad run the Jays have had, they've followed it up with a good run. Problem is, they've not achieved anything with those good runs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they had the AL lead, played bad, lost it, and went on a good run again, did they regain their AL lead? No. They were regulated to the 2nd wild card spot, and even lost that when they went on another bad run. Soon after that they went back to another good run, and where did that get them back? Did they ever regain their 2nd wild card spot? Once again NO. Right now the Jays could go on another one of their mini tears and it might not necessarily get them back into a playoff spot. Reason being is that they only control half of their destiny. Jays can win their games, but unless they're playing the teams ahead of them, they can't stop the other teams from winning, which means they're not going to be able to gain any grounds. If they continue to lose, they'll only continue to lose ground.

Their next couple of series are against Milwaukee, Tampa Bay, Boston, and the New York Yankees. Those aren't Baltimore, Detroit, and Seattle are they? Jays obviosuly need to take care of their own business, but how are they gonna stop the 3 teams ahead of them from winning? They can't...............
blaateeee
Junior
And1: 121

Post#18 » by blaateeee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:48 pm

He's actually quite knowledgable, I prefer him to any other fan590 personality. Condescending? Sure, but he's been doing his job for over a decade talking to the same uneducated Jays fans every night. I prefer a guy who's going to tell the truth and not hop on and off bandwagon, then the loud noise of tim and sid.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#19 » by C Court » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:04 am

Loved Sid on trade deadline day. He called Wilner "Mr. Hooray for everything" because absolutely everything that Alex did or didn't do was fantastic in Wilner's world. He may be knowledgable, but he's the biggest kiss ass in Toronto sports.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#20 » by dagger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:17 am

At this stage, with another unsuccessful season starting to grind to its inevitable conclusion, Wilner reminds me of the Monty Python dead parrot skit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER

Return to Toronto Blue Jays