ImageImageImageImageImage

Davidi:"The Sense That I Am Getting Is Melky Won't Be Back"

Moderator: JaysRule15

Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Davidi:"The Sense That I Am Getting Is Melky Won't Be Back" 

Post#1 » by Wo1verine » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:02 am

Shi also goes on to talk about how they will be looking at improving the bullpen ( AA's favorite position) and how they may take ' less talent' if a position player has the track record of 'staying on the field'

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/anthopoulos-will-need-to-be-at-his-creative-best/
BrunoSkull
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Re: Davidi:"The Sense That I Am Getting Is Melky Won't Be Ba 

Post#2 » by whysoserious » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:12 am

Letting a key guy go and making minor improvements targeting guys that can stay on the field for the bullpen.

Buckle in guys, we're going for it!
Wo1verine

Post#3 » by Wo1verine » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:17 am

whysoserious wrote:Letting a key guy go and making minor improvements targeting guys that can stay on the field for the bullpen.

Buckle in guys, we're going for it!

Just edited my post.

They may be willing to take less talent on an 'position player' if he's got a good history of staying healthy.
BrunoSkull
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#4 » by whysoserious » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:19 am

I'm still hoping Melky is back. Melky, Pompey, and Bautista should be the outfield. Then again, as they said before the game today that the Jays may keep Pompey in the minors to keep him from starting his big league service.

I hate that, if the guy can play he should be in the bigs. He's shown enough to get a fair chance at Spring Training.
Wo1verine

Post#5 » by Wo1verine » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:26 am

It would be pretty pathetic if management did indeed let Cabrera sign else where!

I mean, you say you wanna win, but letting one of our better players leave for nothing because you're to cheap to pay him would look bad, especially when the replacement player they bring in wont be as good - thus creating another hole on the roster.
BrunoSkull
Wo1verine

Post#6 » by Wo1verine » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:31 am

Just to add, Davidi isn't going to come out and say stuff like this if he didn't get the heads up.

Plus you factor in why Melky hasn't been signed to an extension already pretty much tells us what kinda money we're going to have this off-season.

If they were going to sign him, it would have happened by now, IMO.
BrunoSkull
Regulator
Sixth Man
And1: 2,056

Post#7 » by Regulator » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:02 am

There's only so many ways you can shuffle deck chairs on the Titanic
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#8 » by Santoki » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:22 am

What a joke of a franchise/ownership. Just trade Bautista and Edwin now while they are worth something.
Wo1verine

Post#9 » by Wo1verine » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:38 am

Santoki wrote:What a joke of a franchise/ownership. Just trade Bautista and Edwin now while they are worth something.

Perhaps they'll have no choice at some point.

I mean, you wouldn't think they would be happy if Melky left town.
BrunoSkull
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#10 » by Geddy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:34 am

Don't be expecting them to make any big splashes in free agency.

JP loved guys that walked a lot, and now AA is going after guys that stay healthy.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#11 » by dballislife » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:36 am

if melky doesnt come back we getting be getting a ace or near ace, plus at least 2 great R arms in the pen
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#12 » by dballislife » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:39 am

happ back omg lol...look at this year, stroman has great stuff everyone knew but we had to give spots to mediocre arms like happ and to some extent mcgowan...watch happ takes a spot over sanchez next year LOL, we gonna not play a potential ace like rotation arm again so a mediocre 5th starter at best can get another shot?
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,329

Post#13 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:09 am

There's little reason to think they'll bring back Melky at his price. And if it takes the contract I suspect it will, it probably wouldn't be an entirely good idea either. Instead, I'd suggest a buy-low on a free agent like Colby Rasmus...oh wait.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Wo1verine

Post#14 » by Wo1verine » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:14 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:There's little reason to think they'll bring back Melky at his price. And if it takes the contract I suspect it will, it probably wouldn't be an entirely good idea either. Instead, I'd suggest a buy-low on a free agent like Colby Rasmus...oh wait.

What kind of deal you think he's going to get?
BrunoSkull
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#15 » by suntzuballin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:21 am

Say he doesn't want to come back. .and like dballislife said about bringing on a ace our near ace and couple good pen arms that be cool..ya im with you on happ..but sanchez as closer be is kinda intriguing. .

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM Forums mobile app
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#16 » by hst420 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:36 am

Well if they don't make a big splash in FA or a big trade that nets talent, AA and PB should be thrown into stocks outside the Rogers center and pelted with rotten fruits and veggies. That would be one way for ownership to make it up to the fans, fans ownership truly doesn't deserve.
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#17 » by Waylon Mercy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:36 am

Buck said on the air today that AA said it's a priority to bring Melky back and Melky has been
adamant about wanting to come back so unless he gets some crazy offer I would expect him back.
The fact that their bringing back Jose, EE, Gibbons etc seems to me AA isn't gonna give up yet with
his life line shrinking.

If he could find some quality depth players to go with our nucleus we could be decent
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#18 » by Michael Bradley » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:39 am

Alex apparently said he does not want to trade anyone in the rotation and actually mentioned that you need 10 starters in order to have appropriate depth over the course of a season. That's actually refreshing to hear coming from him given how careless he's been with starting depth before. It would be nice to have a legit ace on the staff, but they don't have the payroll flexibility, location, or management dedication (i.e. five year policy) to get one, so it's pointless to even discuss it. Going with the same five guys they had this year and then sticking Sanchez/Norris/Graveman/Nolin in AAA is the best (and most realistic) option they have at this point. We have to accept the fact that the next time they have a real ace on the staff it will be because they developed one. They won't sign one, not with the current management in place.

Of course, that doesn't leave much flexibility to add talent, so it's going to be interesting (or depressing) to see what they end up doing. I like the Aoki suggestion by Davidi if they can't afford Melky. Headley for 3B would be nice, but I can't see him being all that interested (they should have traded for him at the deadline). At this point, I'll be satisfied if Alex does anything at all. After last off-season's farce (Navarro and nothing but minor league signings/waiver pick-ups), some actual significant movement would be a welcomed change.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#19 » by whysoserious » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:Alex apparently said he does not want to trade anyone in the rotation and actually mentioned that you need 10 starters in order to have appropriate depth over the course of a season. That's actually refreshing to hear coming from him given how careless he's been with starting depth before. It would be nice to have a legit ace on the staff, but they don't have the payroll flexibility, location, or management dedication (i.e. five year policy) to get one, so it's pointless to even discuss it. Going with the same five guys they had this year and then sticking Sanchez/Norris/Graveman/Nolin in AAA is the best (and most realistic) option they have at this point. We have to accept the fact that the next time they have a real ace on the staff it will be because they developed one. They won't sign one, not with the current management in place.

Of course, that doesn't leave much flexibility to add talent, so it's going to be interesting (or depressing) to see what they end up doing. I like the Aoki suggestion by Davidi if they can't afford Melky. Headley for 3B would be nice, but I can't see him being all that interested (they should have traded for him at the deadline). At this point, I'll be satisfied if Alex does anything at all. After last off-season's farce (Navarro and nothing but minor league signings/waiver pick-ups), some actual significant movement would be a welcomed change.

This is basically where we sit. We're going to let Melky walk because the price is too high.

So we have a hole in left field, centre field, and one of the infield positions in 3rd, 2nd, SS.

They have one option internally that actually is worth looking at as a long-term solution in the outfiled in Pompey.

Then you look at the need for improvement from the bullpen and the starters. Dickey and Buerhle had solid years but at their age, to continue to to expect that performance is hard to gauge really. And then you have Happ who pitched well this year as the fifth guy, and Stroman and Hutch. Both with a lot of potential but still can't be relied upon as sure things.

If they're really trying to win next year they need to make drastic changes. Not tinkering even if they were close this year. The other teams aren't going to sit back and it was a down year for many teams who will likely bounce back.

What bothers me most is the dishonesty they sell to their fans. We're going to do this or that, or we're in on this and that but nothing really comes from it. It reminds me of BC talking up all these things he could do or will do (like buying picks) and then never actually doing it. Only this team pronounces it's restrictions out loud.

Also, MB you touched on the need for development from this organization, what position player and pitcher have developed internally that made a sustained career with the Jays from the last two regimes? Hoping for it to happen now is kind of tough even if Hutch, Stroman and Pompey look like they could do it.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#20 » by Michael Bradley » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Regarding internal development, it's tough to say what is realistic to expect. More prospects bust than pan out, not just for Toronto. The difference to me is talent. During the Ricciardi years, a good percentage of Gord Ash prospects panned out (Wells, Rios, Hudson, Werth, League, McGowan pre-injuries, etc). The Ricciardi prospects, save for a select few, did not. Was it player development or talent? AA's philosophy is far more likely to produce stars than the low ceiling/high floor philosophy that JPR had. So I wouldn't hold AA responsible for JPR's player development. We are now dealing with better talent so the chances of producing a star, while still uncertain, is probably far greater than if we were looking at Russ Adams and Aaron Hill type prospects.

If Bautista and Edwin were in their late-20's rather than early-30's, then I think we'd be looking at the current situation in a much more favorable light, but since time is not on our side, it makes keeping prospects and acquiring talent almost entirely dependent on something the Jays want to avoid completely (free agency). It's a frustrating situation.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays