Update: Saunders optimistic for Opening Day

Moderator: JaysRule15

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Update: Saunders optimistic for Opening Day 

Post#1 » by Rhettmatic » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:52 pm

@ShiDavidi: #BlueJays say Michael Saunders tore meniscus in knee. Out to all star break

@ShiDavidi: Michael Saunders stepped on soft spot around underground sprinkler on outfield grass while shagging flies yesterday. Left knee buckled.

@ShiDavidi: Alex Anthopoulos says #BlueJays will look to give OF candidates in camp a chance before examining external options at spring's end
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Re: Saunders tears meniscus on sprinkler, out 80 games 

Post#2 » by vaff87 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:55 pm

Wow. Didn't take long for things to start going downhill.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#3 » by dagger » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 pm

There it is, kiss it goodbye. Seriously we couldn't afford anything like this, with no outfield prospect high enough in the system to take his place. It likely means Pillar has to play LF full time, and Navarro has to be traded for a backup outfielder instead of depth elsewhere.

Last year it was Izturis with a freak accident, now this. It's ridiculous. The baseball Gods are devils.

Also, I have to say: The team has to share some blame for putting million dollar assets at risk with the condition of the field.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#4 » by satyr9 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:01 pm

dagger wrote:There it is, kiss it goodbye. Seriously we couldn't afford anything like this, with no outfield prospect high enough in the system to take his place. It likely means Pillar has to play LF full time, and Navarro has to be traded for a backup outfielder instead of depth elsewhere.

Last year it was Izturis with a freak accident, now this. It's ridiculous. The baseball Gods are devils.

Also, I have to say: The team has to share some blame for putting million dollar assets at risk with the condition of the field.

Take some deep breaths. It'll all be okay.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#5 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Pillar, Dickerson, and Carrera are the only OF options internally.

I think they would have to trade Navarro for an outfielder at this point. Dickerson against RHP and Pillar against LHP is probably the best internal option.

Wrap Bautista in bubble wrap this Spring. If something happens to him, forget it.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#6 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Well ****. People can be forgiven for thinking this team is cursed.

His absence will hurt, but he's far from our best player. No reason to jump off a tall building quite yet...
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
satyr9
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by satyr9 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:Pillar, Dickerson, and Carrera are the only OF options internally.

I think they would have to trade Navarro for an outfielder at this point. Dickerson against RHP and Pillar against LHP is probably the best internal option.

Wrap Bautista in bubble wrap this Spring. If something happens to him, forget it.

Dirks too, who I would put ahead of Dickerson for now.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Saunders tears meniscus on sprinkler, out 80 games 

Post#8 » by Santoki » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:08 pm

I blame myself for choosing 92+ wins in the poll.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,631

Post#9 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:09 pm

9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,330

Post#10 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Obviously have to platoon in LF now. Starting Pillar there full-time just isn't acceptable with the way he hits. As we obviously don't have the money to go and acquire anybody else, we have to hope Dirks (who is dealing with his own serious injury issue) or Dickerson can do the job.

Or maybe just find out what Fred Lewis is up to. :nonono:
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#11 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Santoki wrote:I blame myself for choosing 92+ wins in the poll.

“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Saunders tears meniscus on sprinkler, out 80 games 

Post#12 » by Santoki » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:
Santoki wrote:I blame myself for choosing 92+ wins in the poll.

From that thread...

"My own pessimism has beaten me down so badly that's it left me with no choice but to be unrealistically optimistic. 92+ wins. Screw it. Everything will finally go right for a team in this city..."

The ellipsis foreshadowing lasted three days.
satyr9
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by satyr9 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Is it just me or is the ASB a really long way away? What happened to 6-8 or 8-10 weeks that, inevitably, turns into the ASB? Even Derrick Rose, who's on like his 90th Meniscus tear, doesn't have a timeframe until they do the surgery.

I'm not even questioning Shi's source or reporting, just that I'm sure everyone around it is bummed, like we are, and may've just answered off the cuff, rather than with any real accuracy. Of course that could go the other way too and it could be the year, just saying an 18 week injury is a little weird, just anecdotally speaking.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#14 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:27 pm

satyr9 wrote:Is it just me or is the ASB a really long way away? What happened to 6-8 or 8-10 weeks that, inevitably, turns into the ASB? Even Derrick Rose, who's on like his 90th Meniscus tear, doesn't have a timeframe until they do the surgery.

I'm not even questioning Shi's source or reporting, just that I'm sure everyone around it is bummed, like we are, and may've just answered off the cuff, rather than with any real accuracy. Of course that could go the other way too and it could be the year, just saying an 18 week injury is a little weird, just anecdotally speaking.

If we're being positive, maybe it means Jays PR finally figured out how to under-promise and over-deliver with regard to injury recuperation times.

Geez, I feel awful for Saunders. It was just the other day where I read about how genuinely excited he was to be a Jay. He even arrived in camp two weeks early. This just plain sucks.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,458

Post#15 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:54 pm

****. But I guess we should have known the risks when we traded for him. It's no secret hat his body is made of glass.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Re: 

Post#16 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:****. But I guess we should have known the risks when we traded for him. It's no secret hat his body is made of glass.

I still think that was overstated, he basically played full seasons in both 2012 and 2013 (130+ games each). Obviously it looks like we won't be getting so lucky.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,055

Post#17 » by rarefind » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:10 pm

I'd take a flier on Dayan Viciedo right now tbh.
Ku-Bar
Pro Prospect
And1: 475

Post#18 » by Ku-Bar » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:13 pm

I thought this was going to a psych out thread like in Baseketball.

Either that, or Navarro traded for MVP type practical joke and everyone still looks... but yeah, honestly serious post was the last thing I expected although with the Jays luck in recent years why should I be surprised? :banghead:
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,055

Post#19 » by rarefind » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:24 pm

I got a mlbtraderumours update on my phone that actually woke me up. To say the least, it wasn't exactly the way I wanted to start my day.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#20 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Thinking right now it would have been nice if this organization didn't run Colby Rasmus out of town.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays