ImageImageImageImageImage

Update: Saunders optimistic for Opening Day

Moderator: JaysRule15

Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,902

Re: Saunders tears meniscus on sprinkler, out 80 games 

Post#21 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Is there any team willing to trade an excess OF for Navarro? The only available name that makes any sense is Will Venable from the Padres, as he only has a year left on his deal, is a LHB, and is coming off a down season after some 2+ WAR seasons prior to that. Not sure they would take Navarro for him but they are run by a GM who thinks he is playing X-Box with the way he acquires players so who knows.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#22 » by Relentless88 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:49 pm

This really sucks. Saw it on ESPN and thought okay he's probably just out 4-6 weeks but 80 games!?

We're now going to have a black hole in LF, and CF is already a question mark. :-?

I was really looking forward to watching Saunders too, thought he was primed for a big season at the dome. :(
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,424

Post#23 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:52 pm

According to Lott the typical recuperation time for this surgery is 4-6 weeks. That plus rehab in the minors comes out to rough two months, which would have him back late April/Early May. Either this is a really severe tear, or they're managing expectations.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Idontknowurlife
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#24 » by Idontknowurlife » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:54 pm

Idontknowurlife wrote:totally disagree. he's a nice backup option for all of and dh.
adds nothing? he can definitely still field and only 1 jay had more sb.
below avg hitter? only 3 jays out hit him and he was way over .300 until pressed into everyday duty.
and they make way more than 2m.
pillar better? don't make me laugh.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#25 » by satyr9 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:Is there any team willing to trade an excess OF for Navarro? The only available name that makes any sense is Will Venable from the Padres, as he only has a year left on his deal, is a LHB, and is coming off a down season after some 2+ WAR seasons prior to that. Not sure they would take Navarro for him but they are run by a GM who thinks he is playing X-Box with the way he acquires players so who knows.

IMO it'd be hard to get Venable. They're going to want to keep him, 'cause they're also super RH dominant. Also, the other extra OF they have are Maybin and Quentin, those you can have for free if you're willing to pay them, which we won't be. And with Norris, it's not like SD is going to be in a big hurry to pay Navarro 5m to be the back-up either.

If BOS wasn't in the division, their extra would be far more interesting, either Nava, Bradley, or even Craig, although Craig's money is another no-no. Still, they have zero interest in Navarro and inter-ALEast trades are the least common thing there is.

Something with ARI still makes sense 'cause they've got extra OF, extra RP, and zero catchers.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#26 » by BigLeagueChew » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,424

Post#27 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:27 pm

I don't see a need to grab another outfielder at this point. Pillar isn't as bad as many make him out to be. Steamer projects him at 0.9 WAR this year, and last year in 122 plate appearances he posted 0.6 WAR by Fangraphs. Are we really going to find anyone significantly better than that for the money we can afford to spend? Plus Pillar actually has some upside.

There's also the chance that Saunders will not miss anywhere close to 80 games. I want to hear more about the severity of his injury as that 80 game number is really, really high.

I think we can afford to give Pompey/Pillar/Dirks/whoever else a month and see how it goes. It if goes badly, and Saunders isn't recuperating well, then you can make a move.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,902

Post#28 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:31 pm

satyr9 wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:Pillar, Dickerson, and Carrera are the only OF options internally.

I think they would have to trade Navarro for an outfielder at this point. Dickerson against RHP and Pillar against LHP is probably the best internal option.

Wrap Bautista in bubble wrap this Spring. If something happens to him, forget it.

Dirks too, who I would put ahead of Dickerson for now.

Dirks would have to prove he is healthy first. He would easily be the best LF option available if he were healthy but his back injuries were very serious. He will have to show he is healthy and can play defense before he leaps over Pillar and Dickerson.

Right now my guess is a Dickerson/Pillar platoon and then hope Saunders comes back earlier than expected, barring an acquisition.
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#29 » by Al_Oliver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:34 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:Pillar, Dickerson, and Carrera are the only OF options internally.

I think they would have to trade Navarro for an outfielder at this point. Dickerson against RHP and Pillar against LHP is probably the best internal option.

Wrap Bautista in bubble wrap this Spring. If something happens to him, forget it.

when is Dirks going to be healthy? he could be a decent stopgap...
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#30 » by satyr9 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:40 pm

I'm sure that's right and I didn't know until now that he's not even reporting yet because of the back. Still, with an entire ST to go, he's a tick ahead of Dickerson on the depth chart for me, at least until I get a real report about Dirks' timeline.

There's also Michael Crouse, who I'm surprised isn't even at big league camp, or wasn't noted as a non-roster invitee anyway, I'm not sure how the details work at that level. He's at least ready for AAA, which isn't far. He's not really flash, but outside a pretty bad 2012, he's fairly consistent as he moves up the ladder. He's RH, so that's not a big help, but he's always been one of my preferred deep sleeper types. Don't get me wrong, he's not really anything special, but I like his chances more than say Brad Glenn from last year.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#31 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:48 pm

Ahahahahahahahaha of course.
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#32 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Don't worry AA stated we have more than sufficient depth in the OF
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#33 » by Geddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:01 pm

I'd rather go for some kind of journeyman OF rather than Pillar.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#34 » by Wo1verine » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:09 pm

Would love to see them make a trade, but with no money ( that $6M is probably a lie) we likely couldn't get anyone worth wild anyways
BrunoSkull
g_greg
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#35 » by g_greg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:38 pm

Al_Oliver wrote:

when is Dirks going to be healthy? he could be a decent stopgap...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/570999718416945152[/tweet]
Stay thirsty, my friends
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Post#36 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:09 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:Thinking right now it would have been nice if this organization didn't run Colby Rasmus out of town.

Be honest. You thought this before the injury, too.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#37 » by Graham's Cracker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:11 pm

The other guy, that's been reported to be available - and salary wise would make sense - is David DeJesus. The Rays would save a couple hundred K in the deal. Trouble is they have Jaso and Rene Rivera, which leaves little need for Navarro. Maybe a 3-way deal with the D-Backs?
StringerBell
Veteran
And1: 2,200

Post#38 » by StringerBell » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Said this a while ago and got flamed for it - lack of depth is going to kill this team.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#39 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:28 pm

StringerBell wrote:Said this a while ago and got flamed for it - lack of depth is going to kill this team.

I would like to see the link of you being flamed for an issue everyone agrees with.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,487

Post#40 » by Brinbe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Pathetic

Return to Toronto Blue Jays