Post#941 » by T-d0t » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:01 am

You just got Castroed
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: ST: Jays vs Yanks - April 6,8,9 

Post#942 » by Schad » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:02 am

Rarely have these words been uttered, but: can we play the Yankees all year? They look like hot garbage.
**** your asterisk.
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#943 » by UneducatedFan86 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:02 am

Really should be 3-0, but a series win against the Yankees is always a good thing, especially for the Blue Jays.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#944 » by dballislife » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:02 am

Smart move...ur 8 and 9 inning guys gotta have nasty stuff
dballislife
RealGM

Post#945 » by dballislife » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:04 am

Its crazy having 19 yr old arms with d big club...but dam they look amazing, cant blame team for playing them no matter wut happens
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#946 » by Michael Bradley » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:04 am

Trilogy wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:If Castro is the full-time closer and has even a tiny bit of success, then I'm afraid he'll probably never start another game.

It's quite bittersweet watching him pitch well right now. Looks so good and probably going to be pigeonholed and wasted in the pen.

I wish Sanchez was closer and having this success, because I have much less faith in him as a starter. Castro has more than one swing and miss pitch and is so young. Even if he succeeds as a reliever, the "what if" will always be there. Shame.

That's why I am never in favor of keeping lameduck GM's/managers. If Rogers wanted AA gone, then they should have done it regardless of the Duquette ordeal not panning out. Pretty much cost the team two pitching prospects.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#947 » by hyper316 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:05 am

shoulda been a sweep, oh well, i'll take a 2-1 series win
dballislife
RealGM

Post#948 » by dballislife » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:08 am

If gibby was alil smarter and pitched castro in 8th last nite, he threw like less than 10 pitches i think at that point
Michael Bradley
General Manager

Post#949 » by Michael Bradley » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:09 am

One flukey inning aside and the Jays could have swept this series. But hell, it wasn't long ago that the Jays couldn't win a single game in that stadium. I'll take a series win. Eventually the Jays will win a game they were "supposed to lose", so it will even out.
dballislife
RealGM

Re: Re: ST: Jays vs Yanks - April 6,8,9 

Post#950 » by dballislife » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:11 am

Trilogy wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:If Castro is the full-time closer and has even a tiny bit of success, then I'm afraid he'll probably never start another game.

It's quite bittersweet watching him pitch well right now. Looks so good and probably going to be pigeonholed and wasted in the pen.

Never wasted in late innings, look at last nite, finishing out games from d pen is hugely important
Regulator
Sixth Man
And1: 2,056

Post#951 » by Regulator » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:11 am

Hope Castro is eventually a starter for us in the future . The guy looks special and I think he has that gumby type of arm that will rarely get injured.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#952 » by Wo1verine » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:11 am

What a fantastic sports night it's been for me.. Blue Jays & Senators win while the Boston Bruins lose giving Ottawa the option of controlling their own playoff destiny this weekend :P
BrunoSkull
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#953 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:13 am

Michael Bradley wrote:That's why I am never in favor of keeping lameduck GM's/managers. If Rogers wanted AA gone, then they should have done it regardless of the Duquette ordeal not panning out. Pretty much cost the team two pitching prospects.

It's one thing to disagree with a decision, it's another to say that this decision has "cost the team two pitching prospects." I know you've been against this decision from day one, but don't you think this is a bit hyperbolic?
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#954 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:16 am

Saw someone call Castro "The Dictator". I hope it sticks... it's perfect.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Michael Bradley
General Manager

Post#955 » by Michael Bradley » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:18 am

Tyrone Slothrop wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:That's why I am never in favor of keeping lameduck GM's/managers. If Rogers wanted AA gone, then they should have done it regardless of the Duquette ordeal not panning out. Pretty much cost the team two pitching prospects.

It's one thing to disagree with a decision, it's another to say that this decision has "cost the team two pitching prospects."

If the last two games are any indication, Gibbons will use them a lot in relief (probably justifiably given what other options he has). The chances of them successfully converting to starters again after a year of heavy workload in the pen at their ages is not very high.

So if your goal with them was to get two good relievers, then mission accomplished (assuming that's what they turn into). That shouldn't be the goal with top pitching prospects, though. At this rate, I'd like to see the Jays make the playoffs/win the World Series before I drop dead, so if they make it on the backs of Osuna/Castro in the pen, then I'll take it, but if they don't make the playoffs, then AA/Gibbons are gone and two pitching prospects will have been sabotaged for nothing. There is a reason you don't see 20-year old's out of A-ball pitch in relief for a big league team very often.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#956 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:20 am

Michael Bradley wrote:
Trilogy wrote:

I wish Sanchez was closer and having this success, because I have much less faith in him as a starter. Castro has more than one swing and miss pitch and is so young. Even if he succeeds as a reliever, the "what if" will always be there. Shame.

That's why I am never in favor of keeping lameduck GM's/managers. If Rogers wanted AA gone, then they should have done it regardless of the Duquette ordeal not panning out. Pretty much cost the team two pitching prospects.

Osuna pitched 35 innings last year coming off TJ surgery. He wasn't going to throw many this year regardless. Castro is going to get more innings than last year if he keeps pitching like this; that much is clear.

I really don't think having them pitch out of the bullpen at age 20 means they can't be starters in a couple of years. You could even pair them as early as next year if you wanted to get them 120-130 innings apiece.

And for the record, I was OK with the Castro promotion, but very much lukewarm on Osuna getting the call.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Post#957 » by Sifu » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:21 am

Maybe we are over blowing this starter/reliever debate for the kids.

If they were starting in the minors, they would have an innings limit.

They are likely to approach the same limit in the majors if they pitch well

If they pitch poorly, they get sent down.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#958 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:23 am

Wo1verine wrote:What a fantastic sports night it's been for me.. Blue Jays & Senators win while the Boston Bruins lose giving Ottawa the option of controlling their own playoff destiny this weekend :P

By no means am I Senators fan, but seeing the Bruins come undone is quite satisfying.

Yes I am... a bitter Leafs fan that has nothing else to root for...other than a serendipitous bounce of the ping pong balls.
Tuuk
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#959 » by Tuuk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:24 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:
Trilogy wrote:

Osuna pitched 35 innings last year coming off TJ surgery. He wasn't going to throw many this year regardless. Castro is going to get more innings than last year if he keeps pitching like this; that much is clear.

I really don't think having them pitch out of the bullpen at age 20 means they can't be starters in a couple of years. You could even pair them as early as next year if you wanted to get them 120-130 innings apiece.

And for the record, I was OK with the Castro promotion, but very much lukewarm on Osuna getting the call.

It's not the innings that prevents them from being a starter. It's the fact they will not experience any progression or improvement in their secondary offerings. You see it already, they just pump fastballs. They talked about how Osuna has a really poor slider right now. He needs to be working on that constantly, and as a reliever, he has no reason to throw it. Castro profiles more as a reliever so maybe it's not as bad with him.

For the record, I don't really mind the decision because it's fun to watch, but from an optimizing perspective, I think it is clearly inefficient to use them in the bullpen right now. Whatever, nothing to be done but to root them on and cheer for wins.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,559

Post#960 » by s e n s i » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:27 am

rack it up a series win in dreaded yankee stadium, wasn't too long ago we went 17 straight without winning a single game there, so this is a most acceptable result. could've swept but baseball happened, oh well. solid outings from each starter so far. and bautista and donaldson are practically due now, and no better place than baltimore where it's supposed to be 20+ and sunny over the weekend (except for tomorrow)
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).

Return to Toronto Blue Jays