Post#61 » by BigLeagueChew » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:22 pm

delete
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,856

Re: The Star: Jose Bautista boycotting Sportsnet 

Post#62 » by Duffman100 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Eh...one extremely rich guy upset that another really rich guy had to pay for a suit that an absurdly rich organization maybe should have paid for.

Yeah, there are about a billion more important things to talk about.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,559

Re: The Star: Jose Bautista boycotting Spobvbnrtsnet 

Post#63 » by s e n s i » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:37 pm

Spoiler:

edit* this was a pocket post somehow
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,629

Post#64 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Eh...one extremely rich guy upset that another really rich guy had to pay for a suit that an absurdly rich organization maybe should have paid for.

Well, there are a billion more important things than the Blue Jays in general to talk about, yet here we are, rooting for some laundry worn by guys playing a children's game for our entertainment.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
distracted
Veteran
And1: 56

Re: RE: Re: The Star: Jose Bautista boycotting Sportsnet 

Post#65 » by distracted » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:02 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Eh...one extremely rich guy upset that another really rich guy had to pay for a suit that an absurdly rich organization maybe should have paid for.

At the time of the segment Travis had made about $300k total over 3.5 years of professional baseball. After taxes his year to date take home was likely less than $50k.

Devon Travis isn't rich. He may be becoming rich, but I would guess at that moment $5k wasn't as insignificant as some are making it sound.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#66 » by Duffman100 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:37 pm

distracted wrote:

At the time of the segment Travis had made about $300k total over 3.5 years of professional baseball. After taxes his year to date take home was likely less than $50k.

Devon Travis isn't rich. He may be becoming rich, but I would guess at that moment $5k wasn't as insignificant as some are making it sound.

Wasn't he a few months into his 500K contract? I'm just saying that it's not someone who doesn't have an influx of cash coming their way, and a ton of cash at that point too.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#67 » by Duffman100 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:38 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

Well, there are a billion more important things than the Blue Jays in general to talk about, yet here we are, rooting for some laundry worn by guys playing a children's game for our entertainment.

Sure, we're already tip toeing the line if baseball is worth talking about. A suit between expensive folks? Yeah...
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Post#68 » by RalphWiggum » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Sure, we're already tip toeing the line if baseball is worth talking about. A suit between expensive folks? Yeah...

Talking about what's not important to talk about is also not important? If you think it's a total non issue why even interject? 95% of the things people talk about everyday are of very little importance.
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Post#69 » by Sifu » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Let's assume the suit costs $2k, and you make $50k a year. Then the equivalent is someone sticking you with a bill for something for $200.

Or put another way... Can you do me a favour for a friend of mine? He owns a pet store. He needs to film a commercial of someone buying a bird for $200. You up for that?

By the way, you pay for the bird.

What? Why you complaining for, you make $50k. #stupidfirstworldproblems right?

I bet you tell me to go to hell and send goons to beat me up if I did that to you
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,329

Post#70 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Wasn't he a few months into his 500K contract? I'm just saying that it's not someone who doesn't have an influx of cash coming their way, and a ton of cash at that point too.

He still could have struggled or gotten hurt (which did eventually happen) and been sent down to AAA at any time. There are no guarantees with rookies. It's totally understandable why he would have bitched about this.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Jays4WS
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,415

Post#71 » by Jays4WS » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 pm

Bautista doing an interview with Barry Davis right now.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#72 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:57 pm

Hopefully the Star shamed GotStyle or Rogers into paying for the suit.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,329

Post#73 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:59 pm

Jays4WS wrote:Bautista doing an interview with Barry Davis right now.

An indication that Bautista got what he wanted here. The Star's story may have done the job.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
EastBayBoy
Senior
And1: 618

Post#74 » by EastBayBoy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:08 am

Looks like the the Star/Brendan Kennedy embarrassed Rogers/Gotstyle into paying up
Jays4WS
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,415

Post#75 » by Jays4WS » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:10 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Jays4WS wrote:Bautista doing an interview with Barry Davis right now.

An indication that Bautista got what he wanted here. The Star's story may have done the job.

YogiStewart gonna lose sleep tonight now.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#76 » by Duffman100 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:41 am

Sifu wrote:

Let's assume the suit costs $2k, and you make $50k a year. Then the equivalent is someone sticking you with a bill for something for $200.

Or put another way... Can you do me a favour for a friend of mine? He owns a pet store. He needs to film a commercial of someone buying a bird for $200. You up for that?

By the way, you pay for the bird.

What? Why you complaining for, you make $50k. #stupidfirstworldproblems right?

I bet you tell me to go to hell and send goons to beat me up if I did that to you

Hey. I didn't take a side either way. Rogers should probably pay for it.

I was just saying that we all shouldn't care.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#77 » by YogiStewart » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:45 am

Trilogy wrote:
You're the only who started complaining about it to begin with.

you're 100% correct.
i started this thread and i'm the only one posting here.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#78 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:07 am

It was a $900 suit.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#79 » by Raps_Swingman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:44 am

Fairview4Life wrote:It was a $900 suit.

Correction. The price is now $OnTheHouse.

Gotstyle has their name on everything the Leafs, Raptors and Jays do. All the panelists wear there stuff and are sometimes forced to go there to buy(from a SNet employee). They should know better.

At the end of the day whomever cooked up this idea blew it. Lay out everything beforehand so there are no surprises and don't take advantage of the new kid in town. I'm assuming that was Bautista's beef anyways....
That's what she said.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#80 » by The_Hater » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:17 pm

The best part of the article is how poor Devon Travis only makes $500k a season therefore can't afford to buy an expensive suit.

Professional athletes often lose all sense of reality with the salaries they receive vs the rest of society.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays