ImageImageImageImageImage

The Shapiro & Rogers Megathread

Moderator: JaysRule15

polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Re: The Shapiro & Rogers Megathread 

Post#1021 » by polo007 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:15 am

Barrie boy turns foul experience at Blue Jays game into a positive - Bradford News

Eight-year-old Lincoln Cole is trying to turn lemons into lemonade — or rather clean drinking water — following a negative experience at a Toronto Blue Jays game last week.

To say the Hillcrest Public School third-grader was excited to go to the Oct. 1 home game with his dad would be an bit of an understatement, but that joy quickly turned to sadness and frustration after the pair was forced to leave the game following a complaint they made about the amount of water the youngster received from one of the concession stands.

Father and son used to regularly attend games, but this was their first time back to Rogers Centre since prior to the pandemic.

“I said to him, ‘Here’s $15 to spend at the game’ and he could spend it however he liked. He wanted to get popcorn and a pop, so we went to the concession,” father Bob Cole tells BarrieToday. “He said he was still thirsty because pop doesn’t really quench your thirst and asked if he could get some water. I told him he wouldn’t have to worry about (not having enough money) because water is free.”

Bob says when they asked for a cup filled with water, they didn’t provide much more than four ounces in the large cup, adding he spoke to a manager at the stadium and was told to “take it or leave it” and that "because they sell water on site, they can’t be giving it away for free.”

“I thought to myself, that’s really a terrible message to be sending an eight-year-old, and I expressed that respectfully to her," he adds. "As I began to walk away with the pop and the popcorn, she then accused us of not paying for it… (and) security got involved and it was blown way out of proportion and we were directed away from the stadium."

"It was a pretty traumatic experience and we were upset, but we made the best of it and went to the CN Tower.”
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#1022 » by The_Hater » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:14 am

polo007 wrote:Barrie boy turns foul experience at Blue Jays game into a positive - Bradford News

Eight-year-old Lincoln Cole is trying to turn lemons into lemonade — or rather clean drinking water — following a negative experience at a Toronto Blue Jays game last week.

To say the Hillcrest Public School third-grader was excited to go to the Oct. 1 home game with his dad would be an bit of an understatement, but that joy quickly turned to sadness and frustration after the pair was forced to leave the game following a complaint they made about the amount of water the youngster received from one of the concession stands.

Father and son used to regularly attend games, but this was their first time back to Rogers Centre since prior to the pandemic.

“I said to him, ‘Here’s $15 to spend at the game’ and he could spend it however he liked. He wanted to get popcorn and a pop, so we went to the concession,” father Bob Cole tells BarrieToday. “He said he was still thirsty because pop doesn’t really quench your thirst and asked if he could get some water. I told him he wouldn’t have to worry about (not having enough money) because water is free.”

Bob says when they asked for a cup filled with water, they didn’t provide much more than four ounces in the large cup, adding he spoke to a manager at the stadium and was told to “take it or leave it” and that "because they sell water on site, they can’t be giving it away for free.”

“I thought to myself, that’s really a terrible message to be sending an eight-year-old, and I expressed that respectfully to her," he adds. "As I began to walk away with the pop and the popcorn, she then accused us of not paying for it… (and) security got involved and it was blown way out of proportion and we were directed away from the stadium."

"It was a pretty traumatic experience and we were upset, but we made the best of it and went to the CN Tower.”

Just fire the concession manager and give them free tickets to a few games. That should never happen to an 8 year old.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#1023 » by The_Hater » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:19 am

guvernator wrote:Shatkins haters are out in full flow today... My god, Jays must have some of the dumbest fans around with all eye bleeding takes I've read.

And yet a poll conducted by Tim Micallef had Charlie getting 66% of the votes to return.

Casual Jays fans don’t understand who built a dominant team and who made it an underachieving one.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,564

Post#1024 » by s e n s i » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:41 am

The_Hater wrote:
polo007 wrote:Barrie boy turns foul experience at Blue Jays game into a positive - Bradford News

Just fire the concession manager and give them free tickets to a few games. That should never happen to an 8 year old.

i'm not too sure that's a fireable offense to be fair and i do have some reservations about the validity of bob's story.

yes, they absolutely should have given the kid more than 4oz of water in a cup. that they will nickle and dime fans over a negligible amount of water of all things is crazy. but also note though that this is an aramark issue and not a rogers issue. there are water fountains all around the stadium so rogers has no problem giving away water at no cost to fans. it's possible those fountains aren't in service due to covid restrictions, but the manager of the concession stand should have pointed them to one if they were available to use and if there was nothing more (there was more though) aramark could do about the situation.

on the other hand, i'm a bit confused as to what happened here. kid asked for popcorn and a pop -- they had to have paid, i think that's the only way to get the order to display for the other workers. but when they got the pop, the kid took a sip shortly after leaving the concession and decided he was still thirsty? or did they go to their seats and come back with their popcorn and pop still in hand?

secondly, what kind of parent would give their kid a budget to the point where the kid would actually have to worry if he wanted bottled water but was short a couple quarters? if he only got popcorn and pop, then the kid should have more than enough capital to get dasani or whatever it is they are ripping fans off for. i'm fairly certain you could get popcorn, pop and water for around $15 but if not then it wouldn't be much more. unless of course they bought the largest size popcorn and largest size pop so they could share, in which case, bob is actually ripping off his own kid with that $15 budget.

and then i understand instilling financial responsibility at a young age is prudent, but the comment "don't worry, water is free" is a weird one considering you just drove down from barrie and then also had enough money to go to the CN tower after (it's like $75 minimum for an adult and a kid after tax).

but the thing i am nonplussed about the most is, how the **** do you get kicked out of the stadium?!?! if security confronted you about not paying for your food, were you not able to produce a receipt or even insist to show them your bank statement or something? couldn't whoever served them at the cash (assuming the manager was not on cash) corroborate the fact that they did in fact pay? how badly did this have to escalate in order for them to kick out a father AND his 8-year old son? what isn't a good message to send to your kid is getting heated enough to get kicked out the damn stadium over essentially the cost of water. it's not like the kid was unreasonable in what he wanted. maybe next time just bite your tongue and let the kid go into overdraft so he can get a bottle of water.

lastly, good on the kid and bob for setting up that GoFundMe. i do feel like some details are missing from the story overall, but good for them for starting that endeavour.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
The_Hater

Post#1025 » by The_Hater » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:57 am

s e n s i wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

i'm not too sure that's a fireable offense to be fair and i do have some reservations about the validity of bob's story.

yes, they absolutely should have given the kid more than 4oz of water in a cup. that they will nickle and dime fans over a negligible amount of water of all things is crazy. but also note though that this is an aramark issue and not a rogers issue. there are water fountains all around the stadium so rogers has no problem giving away water at no cost to fans. it's possible those fountains aren't in service due to covid restrictions, but the manager of the concession stand should have pointed them to one if they were available to use and if there was nothing more (there was more though) aramark could do about the situation.

on the other hand, i'm a bit confused as to what happened here. kid asked for popcorn and a pop -- they had to have paid, i think that's the only way to get the order to display for the other workers. but when they got the pop, the kid took a sip shortly after leaving the concession and decided he was still thirsty? or did they go to their seats and come back with their popcorn and pop still in hand?

secondly, what kind of parent would give their kid a budget to the point where the kid would actually have to worry if he wanted bottled water but was short a couple quarters? if he only got popcorn and pop, then the kid should have more than enough capital to get dasani or whatever it is they are ripping fans off for. i'm fairly certain you could get popcorn, pop and water for around $15 but if not then it wouldn't be much more. unless of course they bought the largest size popcorn and largest size pop so they could share, in which case, bob is actually ripping off his own kid with that $15 budget.

and then i understand instilling financial responsibility at a young age is prudent, but the comment "don't worry, water is free" is a weird one considering you just drove down from barrie and then also had enough money to go to the CN tower after (it's like $75 minimum for an adult and a kid after tax).

but the thing i am nonplussed about the most is, how the **** do you get kicked out of the stadium?!?! if security confronted you about not paying for your food, were you not able to produce a receipt or even insist to show them your bank statement or something? couldn't whoever served them at the cash (assuming the manager was not on cash) corroborate the fact that they did in fact pay? how badly did this have to escalate in order for them to kick out a father AND his 8-year old son? what isn't a good message to send to your kid is getting heated enough to get kicked out the damn stadium over essentially the cost of water. it's not like the kid was unreasonable in what he wanted. maybe next time just bite your tongue and let the kid go into overdraft so he can get a bottle of water.

lastly, good on the kid and bob for setting up that GoFundMe. i do feel like some details are missing from the story overall, but good for them for starting that endeavour.

I probably jumped the gun there but Interview enough people, look at the cameras, and the story should be 90-95% written.

Ans I think it’s a fireable offense. These people are in the customer service business.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#1026 » by s e n s i » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:20 pm

she could just be doing her job though, you know? i wouldn't be surprised if aramark has some sort of SOP that states water should not be dispensed in cups and provided to fans for free (and to point fans to the nearest water fountain instead). the concession prices are obscene but it's hard to complain when they allow you to bring in any and however much food you want from outside, including your own bottled water.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,413

Post#1027 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:16 pm

Curiously, the author of that story also has the same last name as its subjects. But maybe that isn't too surprising either.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#1028 » by s e n s i » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:09 pm

another thing, he got upset because he had assumed that the water would be free, not that it should be free. whether or not establishments or food service companies should be providing water to patrons for free is a different debate altogether, but the reality is that many don't.

ultimately, they ended up giving the kid a 4oz cup of water though. that's a "small" sized cup. maybe a little less than what mcdonalds or starbucks would give you for free if you asked for water, but they still gave it away. that it wasn't enough is a problem with the dad and not the concession.

to teach your child that you're entitled to free water anywhere you go is probably misleading them. to teach them that water is accessible for free but to a certain extent (water fountains, washroom tap water, etc.) is probably a more reasonable expectation to set.

Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,939

Post#1029 » by Ado05 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:50 pm

Truly a traumatic experience. That kid will need therapy for years.
polo007
General Manager

Post#1030 » by polo007 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:24 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,730

Post#1031 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:55 pm

s e n s i wrote:another thing, he got upset because he had assumed that the water would be free, not that it should be free. whether or not establishments or food service companies should be providing water to patrons for free is a different debate altogether, but the reality is that many don't.

ultimately, they ended up giving the kid a 4oz cup of water though. that's a "small" sized cup. maybe a little less than what mcdonalds or starbucks would give you for free if you asked for water, but they still gave it away. that it wasn't enough is a problem with the dad and not the concession.

to teach your child that you're entitled to free water anywhere you go is probably misleading them. to teach them that water is accessible for free but to a certain extent (water fountains, washroom tap water, etc.) is probably a more reasonable expectation to set.
There are regulations on public washrooms depending on the size of the facility. I'm not familiar if there are or not for drinking water. Ignoring the specifics of the case at hand it does seem like a good idea to have alternatives when drinking fountains aren't being used in a pandemic. Sometimes we only recognize problems when they come up.
Bucket! Bucket!
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#1032 » by Schad » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:37 pm

Edward Rogers is out as the chair of Rogers, after a failed coup attempt.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-natale-1.6219230

He's always been a backer of the Jays, but he's also an arch-dingus. Remains to be seen how this affects the team...likely won't, though the fact that the guy who controls a majority share of the company just got told to STFU and stop meddling is amusing.
**** your asterisk.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,413

Post#1033 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:05 pm

Schad wrote:Edward Rogers is out as the chair of Rogers, after a failed coup attempt.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-natale-1.6219230

He's always been a backer of the Jays, but he's also an arch-dingus. Remains to be seen how this affects the team...likely won't, though the fact that the guy who controls a majority share of the company just got told to STFU and stop meddling is amusing.

Ed Rogers was the one responsible for bringing in Shapiro in the first place (albeit in true dingus style right in the middle of a Jays season that ended up being their most successful season in a quarter century making for the most awkward management transition in history). Since then, he also reportedly had become fairly invested in the Jays. His exit may mean nothing or may mean a lot (to both Shapiro and the state of the Jays payroll). Time will tell, but I was OK with the status quo before this happened.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,009

Post#1034 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:29 am

Afaik Edward Rogers is still on the board and should still have some influence. If he wants to support the Jays, I think his word should still carry some weight. Hopefully this doesn't screw our offseason up man. Would suck if we waste this core because of corporate bull
polo007
General Manager

Post#1035 » by polo007 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:25 am

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#1036 » by polo007 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:54 pm

Mets turn page after latest whiff on fill baseball president post - New York Post

Four more swings, four more misses for the Mets, whose quest for a president of baseball operations is taking on an Odyssey-like vibe.

Brewers general manager Matt Arnold, Dodgers assistant GM Brandon Gomes, Cardinals GM Mike Girsch and Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro are all out of the picture after the Mets expressed interest in each, according to multiple industry sources.

Though the outreach to Shapiro, 54, who holds the same job title that Sandy Alderson does for the Mets, exemplifies that the club is not fully focused on “up and comers,” most of the second wave of candidates — after the organization whiffed on its top three of Billy Beane, Theo Epstein and David Stearns — fall into that category. That appears to reflect the Mets’ general thinking as they attempt to fill this vital position.

An industry source said the Blue Jays denied permission for the Mets to speak to Shapiro, though it was extremely unlikely anyway that the longtime executive would bolt Toronto, and teams often issue a formal denial of permission even if it knows the employee won’t leave. Shapiro just signed a five-year extension this year, has built the Jays into a serious contender in the ultracompetitive American League East and also wants to either renovate middle-aged Rogers Centre or build a new ballpark in downtown Toronto.
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#1037 » by s e n s i » Fri Nov 5, 2021 5:25 am

Read on Twitter

not that this is actually happening or anything but it's fun to imagine

polo007
General Manager

Post#1038 » by polo007 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:32 pm

Read on Twitter
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,585

Post#1039 » by bluerap23 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:44 am

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Life imitating art.
polo007
General Manager

Post#1040 » by polo007 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:01 am

Rogers Pushes Out CEO Natale, Replaces Him With Ex-CFO Staffieri - Bloomberg

Rogers Communications Inc. has pushed out Chief Executive Officer Joe Natale and will replace him with Tony Staffieri, the former chief financial officer who was fired less than seven weeks ago, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The move comes less than two weeks after a Canadian court settled a bitter family battle for control of the board, handing it to Edward Rogers, the son of founder Ted Rogers and a critic of Natale.

Natale’s future became the focal point of a war between Edward and his family members -- including his mother, Loretta Rogers, and two of his sisters, Melinda Rogers-Hixon and Martha Rogers. They joined together with five independent directors to block his attempt in September to dump Natale and promote Staffieri.

Instead, Staffieri was sacked on Sept. 29 and the power struggle spilled into public view. Edward Rogers took the company to the Supreme Court of British Columbia, arguing that he had the power to fire and replace the independent directors who had foiled his plans. When the court ruled in his favor on Nov. 5, Natale’s days were numbered.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays