Aaron Sanchez named the 5th Starter

Moderator: JaysRule15

torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Aaron Sanchez named the 5th Starter 

Post#1 » by torontoaces04 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Politely, suck it, Randle. 8-)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-name-sanchez-fifth-starter-option-hutchison-triple/

Gavin Floyd and Jesse Chavez will pitch out of the bullpen, while Drew Hutchison has been optioned to triple-A Buffalo.

“I thought his off-speed stuff was really good this spring. That’s really what I was focusing on. But he’s earned it. Now we’ll let him run with it and see what happens.”

“We’ll keep an eye on that and there’s a good chance he’ll be in that rotation the whole year,” said Gibbons. “We won’t lay out what the actual plan is, but we’ve got to be smart. You increase it too much, it’s probably harmful, and in the end if we need to put him down there in the bullpen, we’re that much stronger down there, too.”

“It’s not one of those things where he’s not going to pitch all year, you’re going to stop him, like happened in another place a few years ago,” Gibbons said of Sanchez. “He’ll be here all year.”

Woot woot!!! Our 2nd best pitcher has made the rotation!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Re: Aaron Sanchez named the 5th Starter 

Post#2 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Thank goodness.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#3 » by Chevy Chase » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:59 pm

I would have preferred Gavin Floyd to have been named started. There's no doubt that Sanchez is a future starter, but he's likely to be on a pitch/innings limit and I would have liked him to be available in the post season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him skip the odd start when there are days off to keep his innings down and to keep the rest of the guys on scheduled.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#4 » by dagger » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:06 pm

Chevy Chase wrote:I would have preferred Gavin Floyd to have been named started. There's no doubt that Sanchez is a future starter, but he's likely to be on a pitch/innings limit and I would have liked him to be available in the post season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him skip the odd start when there are days off to keep his innings down and to keep the rest of the guys on scheduled.

The argument seems simple enough from the development standpoint: If you put Sanchez in the pen again to start the season, you aren't developing him as a starter and may never. Now, he may not be up to starting and may end up in the pen, but he pitched extremely well this spring and with a 23 year old with large if heretofore unrealized potential, this is certainly the time to give it a try and see if he can command his fastball, get outs with secondary pitches, and get out a reasonable percentage of left-hand batters. The pitch count thing is an issue, but this organization has bent rules and can do that here, too. Floyd will likely get some starts as sixth starter, and that allows the team to preserve a bit of Sanchez for later in the season. They also can be ultra-conservative with his in-game innings, and use Floyd/Chavez as long relief for innings 6-8.

My concern with Sanchez as a reliever is that there is no compelling role for him with Osuna, Storen and Cecil handling a lot of 8th, 9th inning situations. Sanchez wouldn't even be the eighth inning guy in the pen.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,053

Post#5 » by Raptor_Guy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Apparently he will start the 3rd game against Tampa and the Jays might use the off day to skip Estrada's first start.
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#6 » by RapsFanInVA » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:48 pm

I'm completely out of the loop with the Jays. What's our rotation looking like? Stroman-Dickey-Sanchez-Estrada-Happ?
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#7 » by torontoaces04 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:51 pm

RapsFanInVA wrote:I'm completely out of the loop with the Jays. What's our rotation looking like? Stroman-Dickey-Sanchez-Estrada-Happ?

Not sure of the order yet, or if Estrada will miss a start or two, but those are the 5.
kingcns187
Senior
And1: 648

Post#8 » by kingcns187 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Thank God, all this bullpen talk was so ridiculous and anyone in the media who was saying he should be in the bullpen can suck it
ScottyTO
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#9 » by ScottyTO » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:07 pm

If his secondary pitches are working and he can control the number of walks issued, Sanchez could very well end up the No. 2 starter
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#10 » by Wo1verine » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Who knows if he'll last in the rotation, but the organization couldn't deny him a spot after the spring he had.
BrunoSkull
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Our Starting pitching looks very deep to start the season, not many teams have the luxury of Hutch being 8th in line. And most teams need at least 8 starting pitchers over the course of 6 months.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,330

Post#12 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:50 pm

torontoaces04 wrote:Politely, suck it, Randle. 8-)

Looks like it is time for the entire league to stack lefties against Sanchez and watch him fail miserably (or otherwise known as exactly the same thing that happened last year).

This decision to start him cost them quite a few games in 2015. Hope it doesn't cost quite so many in 2016.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
LBJSeizedMyID
Sixth Man
And1: 96

Post#13 » by LBJSeizedMyID » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 pm

I haven't watched any spring training games, but don't expect him show this kind of command or control the whole season, and if Floyd is healthy expect them to change roles at some point. Hope I'm wrong but look forward to seeing some of his real starts.

It's the right decision - if his offspeed stuff looks as good as being advertised, it's best to run him out there and see what we've got.
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#14 » by Raider917 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:05 pm

if he does manage to last the entire season in the rotation, what are the chances of him getting into a matt harvey type of situation and running out of innings when the pennant race heats up?
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#15 » by ldnk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:

Looks like it is time for the entire league to stack lefties against Sanchez and watch him fail miserably (or otherwise known as exactly the same thing that happened last year).

This decision to start him cost them quite a few games in 2015. Hope it doesn't cost quite so many in 2016.

His 4 losses as a starter the team scored 1, 2, 1 and 2 runs. His two no-decisions he gave up 3ER over 5.2IP and 2ER over 6.0IP.

How is that costing the team quite a few games. That seems like a load of nonsense. He has been historically bad against lefties but his poor splits weren't turning into runs.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#16 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:50 pm

ldnk wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

His 4 losses as a starter the team scored 1, 2, 1 and 2 runs.

The Jays lost six of his eleven starts and he was lucky it wasn't more with as poorly as he pitched.

Aaron Sanchez as a starter in 2015 (66 innings): 5.73 K/9, 5.05 BB/9, 1.09 HR/9, 5.21 FIP, 4.64 xFIP.
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#17 » by ldnk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Raider917 wrote:if he does manage to last the entire season in the rotation, what are the chances of him getting into a matt harvey type of situation and running out of innings when the pennant race heats up?

Quite likely. To me the easiest thing would be to run with a hybrid 6/7 man rotation where Chavez and Floyd throw spot starts every once and a while to spread Sanchez's outings out over the year. I also wouldn't be opposed to them finding a way to skip a handful of Dickey's starts as he seems to be a slow starter until the weather heats up and his knuckle ball starts dancing.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#18 » by zilby » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:36 pm

The one thing that doesn't make sense now is why we dumped Liam for Chavez if we are no longer having Chavez as a 5th starter. Swapping out a good mop-up reliever for a guy who is probably not as good at the same thing is now a backwards step as a result, Chavez's numbers are worse as a reliever than a starter.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#19 » by Ong_dynasty » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:42 pm

My thinking was always..why not have 6 starters..it's not like we have a dominant no.1..but let's see how it goes..
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#20 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:45 pm

zilby wrote:The one thing that doesn't make sense now is why we dumped Liam for Chavez if we are no longer having Chavez as a 5th starter. Swapping out a good mop-up reliever for a guy who is probably not as good at the same thing is now a backwards step as a result, Chavez's numbers are worse as a reliever than a starter.

He was acquired to be starting pitcher depth (which this organization had none of at the time) and he will pitch as a starter eventually. You need more than 5 or 6 SPs to get through a season.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays