Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Re: 2022 Minor League/Prospects Discussion Thread 

Post#801 » by dagger » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:43 pm

The new MLB pipeline top 30 is out.
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/bluejays/

Here is the Jays situation: There are four players with an overall 50 rating, which suggests they could be special. Tiedemann (now described as a likely #2 starter), Orelvis Martinez, Arjun Nimmala and Brandon Barriera. The 8th and 9th rated players, both pitchers, are recent draftees, as is Nimalla. Maroudis is being developed as a pitcher, but also might have been drafted somewhere later on as an infielder. There is little in the way of pure power in the top 30 beyond Orelvis, although Cade Doughty has been increasing his HR rate since moving into the four slot in Vancouver. There are potentially some very good contact hitters - Alan Roden at #7, Josh Kasevich at #12 plus Schneider, Horwitz. It's early to talk power with Arjun or top international signing Emmanuel Bonilla. There is more left hand pitching potential on the list, while for the best righties - Maroudis and Watts-Brown – it's really early days. There are a lot more left handed bats on the list than before, so hopefully the Jays won't have to trade for another Varsho just to achieve L/R balance in the batting order.

So far, the top 30 lacks a really quality CF candidate, since Dasan Brown seems to have stalled out a bit, although he is young enough to rev it up next season.

I like my long shots - here's another. #21, Jace Bohrofen, a corner outfielder and the Jays 6th round pick last month.

A left-handed hitter with a sound swing, Bohrofen has improved at making contact and driving the ball in the air throughout his college career. He tried to do too much in his lone season with the Sooners, but since has learned to let his plus raw power come naturally. He has developed a more discerning eye at the plate and his prodigious strength leads to high exit velocities, though his propensity to swing-and-miss in the strike zone concerns some clubs.

So how has he begun his minor league career. Starting off in the FCL and quickly moving to Dunedin, he has three homers in 30 plate appearances, including two homers in two games with Dunedin. So who knows....

https://www.milb.com/player/jace-bohrofen-690957?stats=career-r-hitting-minors&year=2023

Overall, the farm system looks better balanced, with a lot of potential major leaguers but lacking in star power. There has been a lot of churn in the last 18 months because of trades, major injuries and disappointments. Trades certainly saw departures, but also some additions: Adam Macko, Adrain Pinto and Alex de Jesus. I'm not terribly excited about the overall picture, but there is enough talent in the system to fill out most parts of a roster around a few star level contributors, and be very good, but probably not enough to overcome the big league club's current treadmill status. At least if the team generated more MLB talent in the farm system, free agent money could be more narrowly targeted.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#802 » by -MetA4- » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:34 pm

Baseball America's updated Top 30:

1. Ricky Tiedemann
LHP

2. Orelvis Martinez
SS

3. Arjun Nimmala
SS

4. Brandon Barriera
LHP

5. Addison Barger
SS

6. Kendry Rojas
LHP

7. Leo Jimenez
SS

8. Alan Roden
OF

9. Juaron Watts-Brown
RHP

10. Davis Schneider
2B

11. Yosver Zulueta
RHP

12. Josh Kasevich
SS

13. Dahian Santos
RHP

14. Hayden Juenger
RHP

15. Spencer Horwitz
1B

16. Chad Dallas
RHP

17. Damiano Palmegiani
OF

18. Connor Cooke
RHP

19. Tucker Toman
SS

20. Landen Maroudis
RHP

21. Cade Doughty
2B

22. Manuel Beltre
SS

23. Hagen Danner
RHP

24. Gabriel Martinez
OF

25. Rainer Nunez
1B

26. Devereaux Harrison
RHP

27. Mason Fluharty
LHP

28. Nolan Perry
RHP

29. Jace Bohrofen
OF

30. Connor O'Halloran
LHP
dagger
RealGM

Post#803 » by dagger » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:31 pm

It’s fascinating to see how players in Buffalo are being used in the field to turn them into multi-role players like Whit Merrifield. Addison Barger is being used almost equally as the right fielder to take advantage of his big throwing arm, and Ernie Clement has been used a lot recently as a left fielder. Orelvis Martinez is being used both as a SS and 3B. I thought they might use him exclusively as a 3B, looking ahead to 2024, but he’s still being given lots of games at SS.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
dagger
RealGM

Post#804 » by dagger » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:54 pm

dagger wrote:It’s fascinating to see how players in Buffalo are being used in the field to turn them into multi-role players like Whit Merrifield. Addison Barger is being used almost equally as the right fielder to take advantage of his big throwing arm, and Ernie Clement has been used a lot recently as a left fielder. Orelvis Martinez is being used both as a SS and 3B. I thought they might use him exclusively as a 3B, looking ahead to 2024, but he’s still being given lots of games at SS.

Spencer Horwitz playing 2B today.

dagger
RealGM

2022 Minor League/Prospects Discussion Thread 

Post#805 » by dagger » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:17 pm

dagger wrote:The new MLB pipeline top 30 is out.
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/bluejays/

Here is the Jays situation: There are four players with an overall 50 rating, which suggests they could be special. Tiedemann (now described as a likely #2 starter), Orelvis Martinez, Arjun Nimmala and Brandon Barriera. The 8th and 9th rated players, both pitchers, are recent draftees, as is Nimalla. Maroudis is being developed as a pitcher, but also might have been drafted somewhere later on as an infielder. There is little in the way of pure power in the top 30 beyond Orelvis, although Cade Doughty has been increasing his HR rate since moving into the four slot in Vancouver. There are potentially some very good contact hitters - Alan Roden at #7, Josh Kasevich at #12 plus Schneider, Horwitz. It's early to talk power with Arjun or top international signing Emmanuel Bonilla. There is more left hand pitching potential on the list, while for the best righties - Maroudis and Watts-Brown – it's really early days. There are a lot more left handed bats on the list than before, so hopefully the Jays won't have to trade for another Varsho just to achieve L/R balance in the batting order.

So far, the top 30 lacks a really quality CF candidate, since Dasan Brown seems to have stalled out a bit, although he is young enough to rev it up next season.

I like my long shots - here's another. #21, Jace Bohrofen, a corner outfielder and the Jays 6th round pick last month.

A left-handed hitter with a sound swing, Bohrofen has improved at making contact and driving the ball in the air throughout his college career. He tried to do too much in his lone season with the Sooners, but since has learned to let his plus raw power come naturally. He has developed a more discerning eye at the plate and his prodigious strength leads to high exit velocities, though his propensity to swing-and-miss in the strike zone concerns some clubs.

So how has he begun his minor league career. Starting off in the FCL and quickly moving to Dunedin, he has three homers in 30 plate appearances, including two homers in two games with Dunedin. So who knows....

https://www.milb.com/player/jace-bohrofen-690957?stats=career-r-hitting-minors&year=2023

Overall, the farm system looks better balanced, with a lot of potential major leaguers but lacking in star power. There has been a lot of churn in the last 18 months because of trades, major injuries and disappointments. Trades certainly saw departures, but also some additions: Adam Macko, Adrain Pinto and Alex de Jesus. I'm not terribly excited about the overall picture, but there is enough talent in the system to fill out most parts of a roster around a few star level contributors, and be very good, but probably not enough to overcome the big league club's current treadmill status. At least if the team generated more MLB talent in the farm system, free agent money could be more narrowly targeted.

Homer #3 for Bohrefon

He didn’t play yesterday so that’s three homers in three games at Dunedin

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums we
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#806 » by -MetA4- » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:37 pm

Arjun Nimmala today 1 for 2 (3B) with 3 BB's.

Season line: .308/.571/.538 with 8 walks to 4 strikeouts.

Apparently one of the guys at BA just named him as one of the most impressive players he saw this past ~week in the FCL.
dagger
RealGM

Post#807 » by dagger » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:07 pm

-MetA4- wrote:Arjun Nimmala today 1 for 2 (3B) with 3 BB's.

Season line: .308/.571/.538 with 8 walks to 4 strikeouts.

Apparently one of the guys at BA just named him as one of the most impressive players he saw this past ~week in the FCL.

Yes, while there are gaps in the system (could use some more right hand starters that impress) and an athletic CF, the last couple of drafts seems to have introduced several major leaguers each, whether they make it with the Jays or are dealt. Looking back at 2022, if they can get Barriera squared away next year, it's possible four, maybe all five of the first five selected with our own plus the two comp picks will make it to the majors. Then Ryan Jennings, he's been out since June, don't know if he's had surgery, but I wouldn't discount him either. Brock, Fluharty, Peyton Williams, Devereux Harrison, Mike Turconi... they all won't make it but it does suggest 2022 was a very productive draft. If 2023 pans out as well, it will make for a deep system, lacking a bit of blue chip at the top, but stronger than current rankings suggest.
dagger
RealGM

Post#808 » by dagger » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:43 pm

dagger wrote:I like my long shots - here's another. #21, Jace Bohrofen, a corner outfielder and the Jays 6th round pick last month.

Jace only had a single on Tuesday, but hit a pair of homers last night. So that's five homers in five games for DUN, and six in 12 since being drafted. Anyway, someone to watch next season as he presumably gets a shot at tougher pitchers, maybe Vancouver. Could prove to be fool's gold once he sees a slider or bigger/better FB velocity/location. but what the heck.

https://www.mlb.com/player/jace-bohrofen-690957?stats=career-r-hitting-minors&year=2023
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#809 » by -MetA4- » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:52 pm

Bohrofen > Dylan Crews confirmed.

Strikeouts will be the big question with him, but several pre-draft lists had him ranked around the 2nd round in this very strong draft class. Big time steal for what we landed him for in the 6th round. He might even be in line for a promotion to Vancouver for their playoff run.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#810 » by Schad » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:45 pm

-MetA4- wrote:Bohrofen > Dylan Crews confirmed.

Strikeouts will be the big question with him, but several pre-draft lists had him ranked around the 2nd round in this very strong draft class. Big time steal for what we landed him for in the 6th round. He might even be in line for a promotion to Vancouver for their playoff run.

In 50 PAs, his Three True Outcomes rate is 58%...despite only striking out 24% of the time.

I'm also pretty surprised he was available where we got him (and for slot). He had a monstrous few months for a big D1 program against excellent competition, but it's likely one of those situations where he got punished for being on the radar for so long...teams would have a lot of reports on him as a freshman/sophomore where he struggled, and that likely made them a bit wary. Shouldn't have pushed him down to the 6th round though.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM

Post#811 » by dagger » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:09 pm

Adam Macko had one of his best outings for A+ Vancouver - five two-hit scoreless innings with 11K. 0BB.

If he would only have outings like that more consistently, he'd likely become a fast mover in the system. That said, just that he is piling up innings without injuries is a plus - injuries had been slowing his progress before this season.

https://www.mlb.com/video/adam-macko-fans-five?t=mlb-pipeline
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#812 » by Cyrus » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:49 pm

Is Manoah pitching in minors, if so how's he doing in Buffalo?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#813 » by SharoneWright » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:59 pm

Cyrus wrote:Is Manoah pitching in minors, if so how's he doing in Buffalo?

He's not reporting according to Ben N-S. Drama drama.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
JTT
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#814 » by JTT » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:21 pm

SharoneWright wrote:

Not reporting or not sent? My understanding was that the BlueJays had chosen not to send him down instead working with him on the side. I could very well be wrong though.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#815 » by SharoneWright » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:30 pm

JTT wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

Not reporting or not sent? My understanding was that the BlueJays had chosen not to send him down instead working with him on the side. I could very well be wrong though.

It was reported yesterday pregame that "the Jays want him in Buffalo".

Edit: Looks like the narrative changed overnight on Rogers Sportsnet LOL
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#816 » by hst420 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:27 pm

O. Martinez 3-3 today w/ 5 RBIs w/ a HR to top it.
dagger
RealGM

Post#817 » by dagger » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:36 am

Such a crappy day for the Jays. I’ll mention that Alan Roden was on his way to an epic day - 2 for 2 with a pair of RBIs - and he was due up in the fourth inning with no outs and the bases loaded. Then it began to rain, and the game was cancelled. Not suspended, cancelled because the two teams don’t meet again this season. So Roden’s day gets wiped off the books. I bet if he had come up in the 10th here against the Guardians he would have moved the runner, or knocked in the winning run. A lot if these prospects are learning to play the right way: get the job done or put the next guy up in a better position to do so.

dagger
RealGM

Post#818 » by dagger » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:16 am

Good outing for Tiedemann, he was allowed to go to 64 pitches before being taken out with two outs in the fourth. 3 runs only 1 earned, 11 K.

That was a career high. But for me, the 64 pitches was even more encouraging. He won't factor into the Jays' plans until he can sustain more than the 50 pitch limit they had been giving him. Progressing towards 80-90 pitches is critical - and would demonstrate he can sustain that kind of workload without regular visits to the IL.

https://www.milb.com/news/blue-jays-prospect-ricky-tiedemann-fans-career-high-11

hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#819 » by hst420 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:56 pm

Honestly, Barger and Martinez are so close to the show that resigning Chapman who has underperformed offensively after March for 4 consecutive months, being 30 and probable to be overpaid in FA --they should go the development route.
dagger
RealGM

Post#820 » by dagger » Fri Sep 1, 2023 6:35 pm

CJ Van Eyk had his first start at New Hampshire last night. Scoreless through three but gave up a two run homer with no out in the fourth and was pulled. CJ, a college RHP, was the Jays’ #2 pick in 2020, lost that season to the Covid shutdown, struggled in 2021 in low A, then missed all of 2022 with TJ surgery and has had only a bit of game action this year outside of the Dunedin complex. But the Jays must see something they like to start him in AA. Something to follow.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays