ImageImageImageImageImage

Jays acquire Jose Berrios from Twins for Austin Martin, Simeon Woods-Richardson

Moderator: JaysRule15

Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,455

Re: Jays acquire Jose Berrios from Twins for Austin Martin, Simeon Woods-Richardson 

Post#101 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:43 pm

Let's trade the guy getting on base 42.5% of the time in his first professional season at double-A just because he's not hitting for a tonne of power yet. This infatuation with the long ball is absurd.

Woods-Richardson has been shaky this year, but it hurts to give up a 20-year-old at AA so easily.

Odds are we're not making the playoffs this year. Why not just save your chips for the offseason, when you can add via free agency?

This smells like a panic move to me, which from this ultra-patient front office is bizarre. I sure hope there's an extension baked in for Berrios that we haven't heard about yet.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Re: Jays acquire Jose Berrios from Twins for Austin Martin, Simeon Woods-Richardson 

Post#102 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:44 pm

Wo1verine wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:Are we considering José Berríos to be a top of the rotation guy?

I am genuinely asking not being cheeky.
Shakins does for sure you don’t pay that price if you aren’t high on someone

Just wait and see what it cost to lock this guy in long term that’s the scary part

Are we talking 20m ish or like 30m ish?
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#103 » by Wo1verine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:44 pm

Anyone have Berrios career stats vs. AL east ?
BrunoSkull
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#104 » by vaff87 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:45 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:Are we considering José Berríos to be a top of the rotation guy?

Just wait and see what it cost to lock this guy in long term that’s the scary part

He’s not getting $30mil a year.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,455

Post#105 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:46 pm

dagger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, there's that at least :lol:
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#106 » by Schad » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:47 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:Are we talking 20m ish or like 30m ish?

He's a durable starter hitting free agency at age 28...I'd have to think 5 years/$130m or 6 years/$150m.
**** your asterisk.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,166

Post#107 » by xAIRNESSx » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Does this make us more likely to re-sign Semien or is that situation not impacted by any of this?
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#108 » by vaff87 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:
dagger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, there's that at least :lol:

Best news of the day.
Wo1verine

Post#109 » by Wo1verine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:50 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:

Probably high 20s I’m guessing
BrunoSkull
Wo1verine

Post#110 » by Wo1verine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:51 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:Does this make us more likely to re-sign Semien or is that situation not impacted by any of this?

As to impact things I’d think only so much money to go around
BrunoSkull
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,563

Post#111 » by Brinbe » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:53 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Let's trade the guy getting on base 42.5% of the time in his first professional season at double-A just because he's not hitting for a tonne of power yet. This infatuation with the long ball is absurd.

Woods-Richardson has been shaky this year, but it hurts to give up a 20-year-old at AA so easily.

Odds are we're not making the playoffs this year. Why not just save your chips for the offseason, when you can add via free agency?

This smells like a panic move to me, which from this ultra-patient front office is bizarre. I sure hope there's an extension baked in for Berrios that we haven't heard about yet.

Exactly my thinking.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,204

Post#112 » by C Court » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:02 pm

The Jays are not really in the hunt for a playoff spot, so trading a couple of solid prospects makes no sense for a pitcher who becomes a free agent in 2022.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,008

Post#113 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 pm

What a terrible trade man, I'm legit in shock. This goes against everything this front office has stood for.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,709

Post#114 » by Vampirate » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 pm

Brinbe wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
Brinbe wrote:I'd like it more if we were anywhere close to a playoff spot but we're not and at this point not really likely to be.

It's not a good trade.

Giving up two top 5 prospects for a rental on a guy that's good but not really an ace is working backwards.

Why are they trying so hard to go in now? This looks good for the casual fan that sees a name and thinks they hit a homerun. But SWR and Martin could've been good pieces as soon as next year. And obviously have years and years of control.

Why are they trying to go in now?

I don’t think SWR was a top 5 prospect. If you still include Manoah and Kirk, I would have had him 8th. Moreno, Martin, Martinez, Groshans, Pearson, Manoah, and Kirk all would have been ahead of him, for me. Maybe even Kevin Smith.

Yes, but that speaks to the strength of the system and those players, not necessarily that he's bad. I'm quite high on him and I think he'll be a good one.

I'd rather just keep all those guys, play out the gear and spend some money to maybe bring in another stater. Or we let the kids have a go at it.

Berrios is a good piece but I don't starting pitching isn't our biggest problem right now and he's a little ahead of where our main core guys are right now. So that's why I'm like, why are they rushing to compete now?

They shouldn't be this year.

My take is this isn't about this year, it's about next year and possibly beyond.

The question you should ask is Hyun Jin Ryu, Robbie Ray, Jose Berrios, Alek Manoah and Steven Matz good enough of a starting rotation to compete in 2022?

I'm not going to speak about what they gave up, but this imo is what it boils down to.
Wo1verine

Post#115 » by Wo1verine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 pm

C Court wrote:The Jays are not really in the hunt for a playoff spot, so trading a couple of solid prospects makes no sense for a pitcher who becomes a free agent in 2022.

I think they are prepared to re-sign him to an extension

Can’t be giving up this package for 1.3 years
BrunoSkull
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#116 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:09 pm

I was fine was trading SWR, but including Martin in a trade for Berrios is way overkill. It could've been something like SWR, Hiraldo, etc. Martin should not be in any trade unless we're getting an ace back.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#117 » by Schad » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:15 pm

Wo1verine wrote:
C Court wrote:The Jays are not really in the hunt for a playoff spot, so trading a couple of solid prospects makes no sense for a pitcher who becomes a free agent in 2022.

I think they are prepared to re-sign him to an extension

Can’t be giving up this package for 1.3 years

Unless we pay through the nose, Berrios doesn't have much reason to sign an extension before hitting free agency.
**** your asterisk.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#118 » by -MetA4- » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:19 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:I was fine was trading SWR, but including Martin in a trade for Berrios is way overkill. It could've been something like SWR, Hiraldo, etc. Martin should not be in any trade unless we're getting an ace back.

If it could have been SWR, Hiraldo, etc. then they would have made that trade instead LOL. SWR isn't good enough to headline a trade for Berrios (who obviously had multiple teams driving the price up).

Read the actual breakdowns of these prospects. It's not as extreme as it appears at first glance.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#119 » by polo007 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#120 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:24 pm

-MetA4- wrote:
JaysRule15 wrote:I was fine was trading SWR, but including Martin in a trade for Berrios is way overkill. It could've been something like SWR, Hiraldo, etc. Martin should not be in any trade unless we're getting an ace back.

If it could have been SWR, Hiraldo, etc. then they would have made that trade instead LOL. SWR isn't good enough to headline a trade for Berrios (who obviously had multiple teams driving the price up).

Read the actual breakdowns of these prospects. It's not as extreme as it appears at first glance.

Oh I totally understand that Berrios price was high. But if it wasn't enough to get it done without including the guy we just signed last year to the highest signing bonus in franchise history and who's put up a decent first pro season with power being the only flaw, I would've walked away from the deal. We are not a surefire contender this year by any means. And this seems like a premium price to pay for a no. 2-3 pitcher like Berrios who is a free agent after next season.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays