bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Re: Kansas City Royals (35-53) @ Toronto Blue Jays (47-42) - July 14-17 

Post#241 » by bluerap23 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:35 pm

Parataxis wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
GoRapstheoriginal wrote:
87 wins won't cut it for the playoffs or am I wrong? I went into this season assuming we need to win 100 to 105 games to get into the playoffs? Need to win 55 more games from now until end of September.

JAYS WIN! JAYS WIN! WOOHOO! HOORAY! :P! :)! :D!

That’s quite a miscalculation on your part. The last time a team that won 100 games missed the playoffs was 1993. At that time there were four divisions, and only the division winners made the playoffs. So there were only four playoff teams in total. Now there are 12.

To give some context, in the AL, 538 current predictions have all three wildcard teams finishing at 88 wins. In the NL, they have the top WC team finishing with 95, and the other two tied at 88.

Previously, it had been as low as 86 to get the third spot.

If we can get to 90, I'm very confident we'll be seeing the post-season.

does the new format have the worst wild card team playing team with best record?

If so, I’d be more concerned with finishing at the top of wild card then meeting the min number of wins to get in
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#242 » by Parataxis » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:43 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
Parataxis wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
That’s quite a miscalculation on your part. The last time a team that won 100 games missed the playoffs was 1993. At that time there were four divisions, and only the division winners made the playoffs. So there were only four playoff teams in total. Now there are 12.

To give some context, in the AL, 538 current predictions have all three wildcard teams finishing at 88 wins. In the NL, they have the top WC team finishing with 95, and the other two tied at 88.

does the new format have the worst wild card team playing team with best record?

If so, I’d be more concerned with finishing at the top of wild card then meeting the min number of wins to get in

IIRC, the worst wildcard team plays the worst division winner in a 3 game series. The best wildcard team plays the second best wildcard team.

Finishing at the bottom of the wildcard may actually be an advantage this year - you get the White Sox/Twins, rather than the Jays/Rays/RedSox/Mariners.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#243 » by bluerap23 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:34 pm

Parataxis wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
Parataxis wrote:

IIRC, the worst wildcard team plays the worst division winner in a 3 game series. The best wildcard team plays the second best wildcard team.

Finishing at the bottom of the wildcard may actually be an advantage this year - you get the White Sox/Twins, rather than the Jays/Rays/RedSox/Mariners.

Looked it up.

The new playoff structure in each league breaks down as follows:

No. 1 seed: Best league record
No. 2 seed: Second-best division winner
No. 3 seed: Third-best division winner
No. 4 seed: Best record among non-division winners
No. 5 seed: Second-best record among non-division winners
No. 6 seed: Third-best record among non-division winners

The No. 1 and No. 2 seeds will get a bye in this format, while No. 3 seed will host the No. 6 seed in a best-of-three series. The same will occur between the No. 4 and No. 5 seed.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,353

Post#244 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:15 pm

We'd rather be the #4 seed (for the home games) or the #6 seed (for the weaker opponent). If the season ended today, we'd play the Twins on the road which sounds pretty good.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Post#245 » by s e n s i » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:35 am

Ranger One wrote:
Schad wrote:
Ranger One wrote:Lmao, the amount of Copium in this paragraph is nauseating. Keep huffin my dude.

Are you new to baseball?

The Atlanta Braves lost eight games to the Marlins last year. Miami was one of the worst teams in baseball. Lost nine times to the Mets. Went a combined 6-7 against the Rockies and D-Backs, the dregs of the NL West. We swept the season series against them 6-0.

Atlanta won the title.

That's just how baseball, an extremely high-variance sport, is and always has been. There's a reason that the best teams in baseball lose close to 40% of their regular season games.

Nah, i just recognize a trash team when i see it. And dont go through a bunch of mental gymnastics to make excuses for them.

my goodness. top entries for the quickest, most poorly aged posts of the year, my guy. wow.

7-0 since this, 4.5 clear of a playoff spot, and the third best record in the AL on the last week of july.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#246 » by Schad » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:29 am

s e n s i wrote:
Ranger One wrote:
Schad wrote:
Are you new to baseball?

The Atlanta Braves lost eight games to the Marlins last year. Miami was one of the worst teams in baseball. Lost nine times to the Mets. Went a combined 6-7 against the Rockies and D-Backs, the dregs of the NL West. We swept the season series against them 6-0.

Atlanta won the title.

That's just how baseball, an extremely high-variance sport, is and always has been. There's a reason that the best teams in baseball lose close to 40% of their regular season games.

Nah, i just recognize a trash team when i see it. And dont go through a bunch of mental gymnastics to make excuses for them.

my goodness. top entries for the quickest, most poorly aged posts of the year, my guy. wow.

7-0 since this, 4.5 clear of a playoff spot, and the third best record in the AL on the last week of july.

That's why you never let your baseball takes get above 10,000 on the Scoville scale. If your take would give a Lutheran church potluck of average culinary adventurousness indigestion, it's probably going to haunt you.
**** your asterisk.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Post#247 » by s e n s i » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:16 pm

i just recognize a trash team when i see it

Read on Twitter
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).

Return to Toronto Blue Jays