Rogers Skydome Renovations Phase 1 & 2 

Post#1 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:16 pm

Read on Twitter
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 909

Re: Skydome Renovations - Presser on July 28 12:30 

Post#2 » by anj » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:31 pm

I was in Seattle when the Jays came through town earlier this month. Caught one of the games at T-Mobile Park – my first outside of the Dome. It was like going from B&W to colour. Never realized just how awful the Dome is, from concessions to appearance. Which sucks, because our fans are great and always make gamedays fun, but the experience could be much, much better.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Post#3 » by s e n s i » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:04 pm

anj wrote:I was in Seattle when the Jays came through town earlier this month. Caught one of the games at T-Mobile Park – my first outside of the Dome. It was like going from B&W to colour. Never realized just how awful the Dome is, from concessions to appearance. Which sucks, because our fans are great and always make gamedays fun, but the experience could be much, much better.

i was there for both the friday and the saturday games, as well. and then went to the following wednesday and saturday games at the dome.

t-mobile was great in terms of concession options, common areas (these weren't really common per se - they were all ticketed entry), and overall aesthetics. certainly better than most all other ballparks i've visited. the vendors outside the park and the walk from downtown down occidental or 1st ave is cool. that said, the actual viewing experience from my seat and the entire vibe of the crowd (which was louder and more boisterous -- but only because it's a limited event for western canadians) didn't top an evening at the dome with the roof open and the game mattering, for me. the in-game experience and bright lights stadia vibe is there, especially when the team is good. and the concourses and concession areas aren't as crowded as other parks, even if it's a sellout. after that week, it hit me that the dome really isn't all that bad, to be honest -- though these upgrades will certainly make the experience that much better.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
anj
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by anj » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:43 pm

s e n s i wrote:
anj wrote:I was in Seattle when the Jays came through town earlier this month. Caught one of the games at T-Mobile Park – my first outside of the Dome. It was like going from B&W to colour. Never realized just how awful the Dome is, from concessions to appearance. Which sucks, because our fans are great and always make gamedays fun, but the experience could be much, much better.

i was there for both the friday and the saturday games, as well. and then went to the following wednesday and saturday games at the dome.

t-mobile was great in terms of concession options, common areas, and overall aesthetics. certainly better than most all other ballparks i've visited. the vendors outside the park and the walk from downtown down occidental or 1st ave is cool. that said, the actual viewing experience from my seat and the entire vibe of the crowd (which was louder and more boisterous -- but only because it's a limited event for western canadians) didn't top an evening at the dome with the roof open and the game mattering, for me. the in-game experience and bright lights stadia vibe is there, especially when the team is good. and the concourses and concession areas aren't as crowded as other parks, even if it's a sellout. after that week, it hit me that the dome really isn't all that bad, to be honest -- though these upgrades will certainly make the experience that much better.

Thanks for sharing. Couldn't disagree more, lol. But always good to hear another side of things. :beer:

I think you hit on something with what I've bolded above. Those are the elements that make home games enjoyable for me, and neither of them are influenced by the Dome at all. In fact, I believe they would be even better in a different park.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Post#5 » by s e n s i » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:48 pm

anj wrote:
s e n s i wrote:

t-mobile was great in terms of concession options, common areas, and overall aesthetics. certainly better than most all other ballparks i've visited. the vendors outside the park and the walk from downtown down occidental or 1st ave is cool. that said, the actual viewing experience from my seat and the entire vibe of the crowd (which was louder and more boisterous -- but only because it's a limited event for western canadians) didn't top an evening at the dome with the roof open and the game mattering, for me. the in-game experience and bright lights stadia vibe is there, especially when the team is good. and the concourses and concession areas aren't as crowded as other parks, even if it's a sellout. after that week, it hit me that the dome really isn't all that bad, to be honest -- though these upgrades will certainly make the experience that much better.

Thanks for sharing. Couldn't disagree more, lol. But always good to hear another side of things. :beer:

I think you hit on something with what I've bolded above. Those are the elements that make home games enjoyable for me, and neither of them are influenced by the Dome at all. In fact, I believe they would be even better in a different park.

well, the atmosphere for any stadium will suck when the game is meaningless and the team is no good.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,341

Post#6 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:41 pm

I've been to nearly a third of MLB parks and the dome is honestly fine when it's open. Still, they could stand to make plenty of improvements to it.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#7 » by agkagk » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:21 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:I've been to nearly a third of MLB parks and the dome is honestly fine when it's open. Still, they could stand to make plenty of improvements to it.

agreed, its just too sterile of an environment. when its closed or when your walking the concourse, it Feels more like a generic shipping and distribution centre.

Like even some cheap aesthetical changes like a coat of paint or a bloody flower garden would go a looooooong way.
Jago88
Junior
And1: 339

Post#8 » by Jago88 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:15 pm

I was at Fenway for the first time last weekend (luckily!) for the first 2 games and it was the 13th MLB stadium I have been to and thought it might be the worst one so far. It looks romantic and is cool walking outside but I was in the grandstand (I think tickets were around the $70 to $80 USD mark and I had to get them from StubHub) and if a ball went more than a few feet in the air you were looking to the outfield hoping you could see where it dropped because the roof was so low you could barely see anything.

The concessions there were tiny too and awkwardly placed, bathrooms werent great and the seats themselves were bad too.

Maybe the heat played a part in it and made me more uncomfortable than I really was but I honestly left thinking thank christ I dont have to come here 4 or 5 times a month to watch my team play, Rogers Centre every day of the week.
anj
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by anj » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:43 pm

FWIW, the dome generally ranks near the bottom of fan polls.

The Athletic had it at 27th in the league: https://theathletic.com/1910313/2020/07/06/mlb-stadium-fan-survey-results-how-our-readers-ranked-baseballs-best-parks/

Reviewtrackers has it at 28:
Jago88
Junior

Post#10 » by Jago88 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:24 pm

anj wrote:FWIW, the dome generally ranks near the bottom of fan polls.

The Athletic had it at 27th in the league: https://theathletic.com/1910313/2020/07/06/mlb-stadium-fan-survey-results-how-our-readers-ranked-baseballs-best-parks/

Reviewtrackers has it at 28:

Probably anti canada bias :D I don't think anyone would disagree that it is far from great and as has been mentioned by other posters, can do with a decent amount of improvements.

Speaking from experience of my 13 so far I would say it is in the middle of the pack and looking at that graph it looks like if they upped their food game they would leap up the rankings...I never buy food at the ballpark so I wouldn't know.i would also like to see if stadium location was taken into account because that would push it up massively too. All in all I would say it is middle of the pack
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,926

Post#11 » by JN » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:38 pm

Based on the 8 I have went to, its below average (especially when the roof is closed. That being said with the roof open its still fine even if a bit below average - its ultimately about your association with the team and how exciting they are. Hell I used to love to go to Olympic Stadium, especially in the Expos good years, and the place was a dump. Still enjoyed going there for the memories for a few recent exhibitions.

In terms of the stadiums I have went to:

Best Experience - Pittsburgh (great field, view, reasonably priced premium seats). It helped that the 2 times I went the Pirates were in semi-contention.

Overrated - Dodger Stadium
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,926

Post#12 » by JN » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:46 pm

I noted the Jays are playing in Pittsburgh on September 2, 3 and 4th (a weekend). Its about a 5 hour ride (Essentially same trip as going to Cleveland, add about 40km)

If I was still living in Toronto I would consider making the trip - great stadium if you have never been, and if enough Jays fans show up could be a good atmosphere. (Unfortunately to far coming from Ottawa)
Jago88
Junior

Post#13 » by Jago88 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Jago88
Junior

Post#14 » by Jago88 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:53 pm

Couldn't seem to find the press conference but this link has a nice summary of the changes and when to expect them

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/07/28/toronto-blue-jays-rogers-centre-stadium-renovations/
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#15 » by MavCarter » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:23 pm

This is rogers doing the bare minimum because the league has been on their ass about the stadium for years. I think the commissioner in 2018 even publicly commented on it saying it needs major upgrades. Imo rogers is going to hold out on building a new stadium for the next year 10-15 years until they decide what to do with the team ownership wise
#Enjoytheride
Jago88
Junior

Post#16 » by Jago88 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:36 pm

polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#17 » by polo007 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#18 » by Schad » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:27 pm

MavCarter wrote:This is rogers doing the bare minimum because the league has been on their ass about the stadium for years. I think the commissioner in 2018 even publicly commented on it saying it needs major upgrades. Imo rogers is going to hold out on building a new stadium for the next year 10-15 years until they decide what to do with the team ownership wise

Realistically, they need to do both, but building a new stadium within the city core isn't a short-term proposition. It averages about 5 years, from what I can tell, from the stage where an agreement is in place with the necessary authorities and when a stadium is actually ready to open, and a downtown stadium/multiuse complex (as they appear to want to create) is liable to take even longer.

Even if Rogers is highly motivated to build a new stadium (I have no idea, but given that it'd likely make them a fair bit of coin over time, they probably aren't adverse to the idea), there's basically no chance of one existing prior to 2030, and given the paucity of potential sites they need to plan for the possibility that it'll drag on even further.
**** your asterisk.
Davey0
Pro Prospect
And1: 692

Post#19 » by Davey0 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:40 pm

I was really impressed how honest and open Mark Shapiro was with the Q and A. Especially answering a question about wanting more light in the Rogers Centre. But as he said there was a "limit".

So it sounds to me like he wanted to do more but couldn't. If its due to Government Taxes ( If I miss heard he put in a complaint to the Mayor ? ) or with Rogers Funding let alone the construction of the the stadium, it was nice to see how open and honest Mark was.

Either way based on the limits Mark can deal with I think the renovations look amazing. It does gives Rogers that vibe of a baseball field. Seeing the 100-level inner feild actually directed to the diamond made me hopeful and more excited.

Sure it would be nice to bring in more light ( maybe down the road that idea will become more of a concept ? ). But again with the limits they have I think they did a great job.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,840

Post#20 » by Hottie McShotty » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:33 am

GET US SOME BULLPEN HELP FFS!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays