linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 566

What would you do as MGR ? 

Post#1 » by linery88 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:22 pm

if I Were The Mgr of this team....
Fire the nerds.The manager and his staff/coaches make all the decisions

Vladdy bats 3rd ahead of Bo.
This worked all of last year,and before that.
Schneider has locked himself into Vladdy being 2 in the lineup.
Switch Bo,and Espinals defensive positions,and bat Espinal near the bottom of the lineup.
When Springer is in,lead him off,and Bo bats 2,Vladdy 3.Merriweather or Tapia bats 9th most of the time,depending if Springer needs a day off.Bench TeOscar for a game or 2.His bat is inconsistent plus he could use more icing on his foot,and an icepack for his brain for a day or two.Bat Kirk or Guriel,or TeOscar after Vladdy,and see how it works.
Pitchers ...flip a coin. :banghead:
Or if all fails...hire this MGR who hates nerds.
https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2022/08/20/fired-angels-manager-joe-maddon-having-a-blast-and-blasting-how-some-teams-are-run/
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,605

Re: If I Were MGR 

Post#2 » by Asianiac_24 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:30 pm

Bo is a terrible choice for 2. He swings a lot, doesn’t walk a lot, and his OBP is low. If anyone should be batting 2 to move Vlad back it should be someone like Gurriel. I can get behind Springer/Gurriel/Vlad but it doesn’t make much difference to me. Kirk should be 3 or 4.
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by linery88 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:49 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:Bo is a terrible choice for 2. He swings a lot, doesn’t walk a lot, and his OBP is low. If anyone should be batting 2 to move Vlad back it should be someone like Gurriel. I can get behind Springer/Gurriel/Vlad but it doesn’t make much difference to me. Kirk should be 3 or 4.

As soon as Bo went into a slump Schneider moves him down,then up,then down etc...
Then does the same with the entire lineup.
Espinal was hitting good,and playing a great SS,and then he was moved for some reason,and then he starts to struggle.
Schneider still doesn,t know what he is doing yet.
Bo has speed and should be near the top of the lineup for that reason.All he did was slump like all players do,and he was punished by a rookie mgr for it.The thing thats messing with Bo is being at SS,when he is a 2B.We have seen how good this guy is offensively.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#4 » by Schad » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:35 am

Speed is a very bad reason to hit someone with a low OBP high in the order. It's an even worse reason when they've been caught stealing 7 times in 15 attempts.
**** your asterisk.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,605

Post#5 » by Asianiac_24 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:59 am

Espinal/Bo should definitely swap positions for sure. Bo isn’t a good SS at all
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by linery88 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:41 am

Schad wrote:Speed is a very bad reason to hit someone with a low OBP high in the order. It's an even worse reason when they've been caught stealing 7 times in 15 attempts.

Its all we have lol.
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by linery88 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:45 am

linery88 wrote:
Schad wrote:Speed is a very bad reason to hit someone with a low OBP high in the order. It's an even worse reason when they've been caught stealing 7 times in 15 attempts.

Its all we have lol.

These guys run hot,and cold all year,with no real consistency,so we are already limited with options.I,m only really talking about Bo;who should stop trying to steal altogether.He can beat out infield hits,or pressure the defense with his speed,but he is not a base stealer,with base stealers speed.Springer is probably our best base stealer.Merriweather,and Tapia have speed,but i prefer Tapia to bat 9th or even better,bat Tapia 8th,and Merrifield 9th.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Schad » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:12 am

linery88 wrote:

Its all we have lol.

We have one of the best offenses in baseball.

Ideally, you want your best hitters to hit the most, and that means Springer, Vlad and Kirk is probably the ideal top three. Springer, Vlad, Gurriel and Kirk is basically fine, too.
**** your asterisk.
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by linery88 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:07 am

Schad wrote:
linery88 wrote:

Its all we have lol.

We have one of the best offenses in baseball.

Ideally, you want your best hitters to hit the most, and that means Springer, Vlad and Kirk is probably the ideal top three. Springer, Vlad, Gurriel and Kirk is basically fine, too.

I,d rather have the most consistent offense in baseball,especially at home.Our offense has been run challenged for a while now at home.Our pitching has carried us lately with that good recent road trip,and ocassional blowout there.We had the best offense in baseball when Montoya was here,but its a misleading characterization-imo.
I hope one of these days a player speaks out about where he thinks he should bat,even if i disagree with him.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,509
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#10 » by SharoneWright » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:16 am

I'd hold the players' family members hostage in an undisclosed location -----> to be released only upon a 10-game winning streak.

(don't worry, secretly there is an MLB-clubhouse-level buffet available 24/7)
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Schad » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:52 am

linery88 wrote:I,d rather have the most consistent offense in baseball,especially at home.Our offense has been run challenged for a while now at home.Our pitching has carried us lately with that good recent road trip,and ocassional blowout there.We had the best offense in baseball when Montoya was here,but its a misleading characterization-imo.
I hope one of these days a player speaks out about where he thinks he should bat,even if i disagree with him.

Offense under Montoyo: 4.56 runs/game.

Offence under Schneider: 4.84 runs/game.

The issue is that these characterizations just aren't borne out by reality.

We've been shut out 7 times; the Yankees have been shut out 11 times. That really annoying slap-and-run Cleveland offense that everyone liked? Shut out as many times as we have been, but they have also been held to 1 run or fewer much more often than we have (27 to 17), and same with 2 runs or fewer (38 to 33). There is no such thing as a consistent offence. Wanting baseball teams to not behave in the fashion that every baseball team does is futile.
**** your asterisk.
steveholt
Junior
And1: 276

Post#12 » by steveholt » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:46 am

Springer
Bo
Vlad
Teo
Kirk
Gurriel
Chapman
Espinal
Tapia/Merriweather/Jansen whoever
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,178

Post#13 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:29 pm

if you were manager you would have been fired before you were hired :lol: :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,583

Post#14 » by bluerap23 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:06 pm

Almost all baseball players go through hot and cold streaks. The only thing I don’t like is constantly juggling the batting order. Baseball players typically like consistency and perform well when there is routine
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#15 » by vaff87 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:31 pm

Schad wrote:
linery88 wrote:I,d rather have the most consistent offense in baseball,especially at home.Our offense has been run challenged for a while now at home.Our pitching has carried us lately with that good recent road trip,and ocassional blowout there.We had the best offense in baseball when Montoya was here,but its a misleading characterization-imo.

Offense under Montoyo: 4.56 runs/game.

Offence under Schneider: 4.84 runs/game.

The issue is that these characterizations just aren't borne out by reality.

We've been shut out 7 times; the Yankees have been shut out 11 times. That really annoying slap-and-run Cleveland offense that everyone liked? Shut out as many times as we have been, but they have also been held to 1 run or fewer much more often than we have (27 to 17), and same with 2 runs or fewer (38 to 33). There is no such thing as a consistent offence. Wanting baseball teams to not behave in the fashion that every baseball team does is futile.

There are some head scratching myths about this team. Like the idea that we strike out way too much. That one makes me think people just started watching baseball again after a 20 year break or something.

Would hitting Kirk ahead of Vladdy cost us runs? With his high OBP, he’s a logical guy to hit ahead of Vladdy. However, he’s as slow as molasses. I figure there would be a lot of Vladdy doubles where Kirk would only be able to get first to third, when most players would score. Same with singles with Kirk on second, where he wouldn’t score, when most guys would. On the other hand, as noted, he would be on base more than those other players.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Schad » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:42 pm

vaff87 wrote:There are some head scratching myths about this team. Like the idea that we strike out way too much. That one makes me think people just started watching baseball again after a 20 year break or something.

I suspect it's that a lot of people only watch the Jays, and consequently they aren't really aware that 95% of the things they complain about with the Jays are just basic facts of life for basically every team.
**** your asterisk.
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by linery88 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:16 pm

2-7 in the last 9 games at home.Outscored 50-18 in that span.
imo-The overall season numbers are whatever they are.The comparisons etc...but doesn,t mean much right now.
A lot of people will assume we sweep the Cubs.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: What would you do as MGR ? 

Post#18 » by Schad » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:33 pm

I don't assume that we sweep the Cubs. No one should ever assume that you'll sweep any series, because a sweep is never the most statistically likely scenario, even when the very best team in the league plays the very worst. The Cubs are a bad team. The Cubs have only been swept in a 3+ game series on five occasions this season. Winning two of three games is always a good outcome in a sport where winning 60% of the time guarantees a playoff spot.

And yeah, we're 2-7 in our last 9 at home. We're also 36-28 at home overall. Small samples are small samples and people really shouldn't read so much into them.
**** your asterisk.
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by linery88 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:42 pm

Only once this year have i ever assumed we would win,and that was our last trip to Boston,and we won,barely,but we won.
I feel like we should win the Cub series,maybe sweep it.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Schad » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:01 am

It's nice that you feel that way, but this whole "good teams do X" thing is just silly, because good teams frequently fail to do X, and it's generally unremarked upon because it's unremarkable. Baseball just isn't the sort of sport where you can just assume wins.

On September 18th last year, the Braves were mired in an 8-14 skid that had seen their division lead fall from 4.5 games down to a mere 0.5. They looked like a team in collapse, until they went 12-2 to close and then won the Series.

Maybe we slump and miss the playoffs. Maybe we start hitting again and make them comfortably. The latter is more likely than the former, because making sweeping, declarative judgments on the basis of three games just isn't sound in a sport where variance is just a fact of life.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays