ImageImageImageImageImage

For this winter? Biggio vs Barger vs Lopez vs a host of others

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,503

Post#1 » by dagger » Wed Oct 5, 2022 5:53 pm

A little bored today watching the Jays and Orioles play a pair of nothing games but with Craig Biggie's BA down to .198 as I write this, I am wondering if he's a goner this winter. One of the team's few left-handed bats, and versatile enough to play five positions, but he's also heading for ARB 2 this winter, and even though his numbers won't warrant a big jump, the formula also certainly guarantees him a raise that would put him about $2 million above a first year entry salary. Addison Barger is a left handed bat, and even with some doubts about his swing approach, he can't be worse than Biggio, whose numbers, including his walk rate/OBP have come down this season. Otto Lopez is also versatile, though he is a RHB, and also on his pre-arb scale. So I will be avidly watching Barger in Arizona. He's a sure bet to be elevated to the 40 man roster, and will be intrigued to see if the team moves off Biggio. His trade value isn't big, but he might make a good cash sale or even spice up a trade as a throw-in.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,582

Post#2 » by bluerap23 » Wed Oct 5, 2022 7:30 pm

Who is Craig Biggie?

I’m probably in the minority, but I still believe in Cavan as a useful big leaguer. Lopez has looked very good at the plate though.

The more likely scenario is a trade centred around Moreno or Kirk where one of these guys gets included depending on the trade partner and the return.

It looks like Whit M is the most likely starting 2B next year so we are still talking about a utility backup. I could see Lopez taking over 2B the following year when Whit is a FA but I’m not sure if he has enough power for this front office.

I imagine Barger will have 1 more year in AAA. He is a candidate to replace Chapman the following season.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: For this winter? Biggio vs Barger vs Lopez vs a host of others 

Post#3 » by Schad » Wed Oct 5, 2022 7:55 pm

dagger wrote:A little bored today watching the Jays and Orioles play a pair of nothing games but with Craig Biggie's BA down to .198 as I write this, I am wondering if he's a goner this winter. One of the team's few left-handed bats, and versatile enough to play five positions, but he's also heading for ARB 2 this winter, and even though his numbers won't warrant a big jump, the formula also certainly guarantees him a raise that would put him about $2 million above a first year entry salary. Addison Barger is a left handed bat, and even with some doubts about his swing approach, he can't be worse than Biggio, whose numbers, including his walk rate/OBP have come down this season. Otto Lopez is also versatile, though he is a RHB, and also on his pre-arb scale. So I will be avidly watching Barger in Arizona. He's a sure bet to be elevated to the 40 man roster, and will be intrigued to see if the team moves off Biggio. His trade value isn't big, but he might make a good cash sale or even spice up a trade as a throw-in.

Barger can absolutely be worse than Biggio. Much worse, potentially; Biggio has a wRC+ of 96, which makes him a perfectly adequate platoon/bench bat. I like Barger quite a bit, but his mechanics make him quite vulnerable to chasing, and that makes him a very feast/famine prospect. He could probably do with another few months/year in AAA to quiet his approach at the plate, because he could be a major net negative if he regularly fishes for offspeed stuff in the bigs.

If Lopez can handle CF, there's room for both he/Biggio in the majors. We will presumably be shedding Tapia, Zimmer and JBJ in the offseason, and while I expect us to make a run at a cost-effective OF (they'll have to be cost-effective, as we have some major arb raises to pay out), that still leaves space for a cheap bench utilityman like Lopez.
**** your asterisk.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,388

Post#4 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Oct 5, 2022 8:15 pm

Unless the Jays finally get an actual defensive SS (unlikely), Merrifield looks like the likely starter at 2B next year. Biggio is still a useful player though. Other than 2021, he's been worth 1-3 WAR each season he's been in the bigs. I bet they hold onto him particularly given the dearth of LHBs on the roster.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,503

Post#5 » by dagger » Wed Oct 5, 2022 10:04 pm

Schad wrote:
dagger wrote:A little bored today watching the Jays and Orioles play a pair of nothing games but with Craig Biggie's BA down to .198 as I write this, I am wondering if he's a goner this winter. One of the team's few left-handed bats, and versatile enough to play five positions, but he's also heading for ARB 2 this winter, and even though his numbers won't warrant a big jump, the formula also certainly guarantees him a raise that would put him about $2 million above a first year entry salary. Addison Barger is a left handed bat, and even with some doubts about his swing approach, he can't be worse than Biggio, whose numbers, including his walk rate/OBP have come down this season. Otto Lopez is also versatile, though he is a RHB, and also on his pre-arb scale. So I will be avidly watching Barger in Arizona. He's a sure bet to be elevated to the 40 man roster, and will be intrigued to see if the team moves off Biggio. His trade value isn't big, but he might make a good cash sale or even spice up a trade as a throw-in.

Barger can absolutely be worse than Biggio. Much worse, potentially; Biggio has a wRC+ of 96, which makes him a perfectly adequate platoon/bench bat. I like Barger quite a bit, but his mechanics make him quite vulnerable to chasing, and that makes him a very feast/famine prospect. He could probably do with another few months/year in AAA to quiet his approach at the plate, because he could be a major net negative if he regularly fishes for offspeed stuff in the bigs.

If Lopez can handle CF, there's room for both he/Biggio in the majors. We will presumably be shedding Tapia, Zimmer and JBJ in the offseason, and while I expect us to make a run at a cost-effective OF (they'll have to be cost-effective, as we have some major arb raises to pay out), that still leaves space for a cheap bench utilityman like Lopez.

Barger had a pair of homers - including a 436 footer - in the first day’s play today in the AFL

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#6 » by Schad » Thu Oct 6, 2022 1:37 am

dagger wrote:Barger had a pair of homers - including a 436 footer - in the first day’s play today in the AFL

He's definitely a prospect. Is he ready to step into a major league lineup to start 2023, though? Probably not. There's a reason there aren't too many hitters doing the big-leg-kick-from-an-open stance thing in this era.
**** your asterisk.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,047

Post#7 » by DelAbbot » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:43 am

Can Barger play 2B?

I was ready to write off Biggio for hitting around the mendoza line again, but then I looked up fangraph saw he was +ve with the bat and overall 1.3 war in half a season as util guy. That has value for sure, even if as a backup / util guy.

But man I had high hopes for Biggio in 2019 as part of the big 3 rising from our minor league system.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,582

Post#8 » by bluerap23 » Tue Nov 1, 2022 8:53 pm

Biggio is still a useful player but may be out because they can save 2 million with a younger option

Return to Toronto Blue Jays