LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,178

Re: Teoscar traded to Mariners 

Post#121 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:44 am

Schad wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
they had a down year. i don't think it was because Semien left.

I suppose you are entitled to your opinion but the numbers say you are wrong. this doesn't even take into account the affect on other batters in the lineup.

We didn't even have a down year. Jays were 2nd in baseball in wRC+ (117) in 2022, 4th in runs scored. In 2021, they were 2nd in wRC+ (112), 3rd in runs scored.

It just felt like we had a down year because offense baseball-wide utterly cratered.

They changed the baseball if I’m not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,688

Post#122 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:04 am

Schad wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
they had a down year. i don't think it was because Semien left.

I suppose you are entitled to your opinion but the numbers say you are wrong. this doesn't even take into account the affect on other batters in the lineup.

We didn't even have a down year. Jays were 2nd in baseball in wRC+ (117) in 2022, 4th in runs scored. In 2021, they were 2nd in wRC+ (112), 3rd in runs scored.

It just felt like we had a down year because offense baseball-wide utterly cratered.

Vladdy had a down year, which made it seem like the whole team did too.

On that note, Vladdy increasing his production should make up for some of the loss of Teo.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#123 » by Schad » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:09 am

Mostly, we just didn't have any gaping holes in the lineup. Like, Tapia was the worst semi-regular player, and even he posted a wRC+ of 90. He was the only one on the team with a wRC+ below 95 who got 200+ plate appearances...meanwhile, the Yankees had six. Think it got taken for granted how deep our lineup was, and realistically our lineup is going to be quite deep again next year, as well.
**** your asterisk.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,178

Post#124 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Schad wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:

On that note, Vladdy increasing his production should make up for some of the loss of Teo.

ideally we get a rebound year from Bo (when he was going through his slump), Vladdy, and Berrios.

and it looks like the Jays want a FA outfielder. whether it be Nimmo or Bellinger. Jays would probably be vastly improved if they got a guy like Nimmo, on paper. and that the Teo trade was well worth it if this is the case (pitching help, convering salaies etc)
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,683

Post#125 » by hyper316 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:55 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Schad wrote:

ideally we get a rebound year from Bo (when he was going through his slump), Vladdy, and Berrios.

and it looks like the Jays want a FA outfielder. whether it be Nimmo or Bellinger. Jays would probably be vastly improved if they got a guy like Nimmo, on paper. and that the Teo trade was well worth it if this is the case (pitching help, convering salaies etc)

If Jays did get Bellinger or Nimmo, where in the lineup will they bat? It's still hard to break up the 4 righties (Springer, Bichette, Vladdy, Kirk)
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,310

Post#126 » by Parataxis » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:23 pm

hyper316 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

If Jays did get Bellinger or Nimmo, where in the lineup will they bat? It's still hard to break up the 4 righties (Springer, Bichette, Vladdy, Kirk)

Bellinger is probably somewhere down in the order, Nimmo probably bats second.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,509
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#127 » by SharoneWright » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:33 pm

Is anybody here a marine biologist?
hyper316
RealGM

Post#128 » by hyper316 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:21 am

Parataxis wrote:
hyper316 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Cool thanks so how about this

SS Bichette (R)
CF Nimmo (L)
1B Valdy (R)
RF Springer (R)
C Kirk (R)
DH Janssen/Moreno (R)
3B Chapman (R)
LF Gurriel (R)
2B Espinal (R)

Still righty heavy
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#129 » by Schad » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:46 am

Being righty-heavy is totally fine. Our righties hit righties extremely well (the best RHH vs RHP performance in baseball, and we were 3rd in MLB in hitting against righties overall), and the last thing you want to do is shoehorn in lesser hitters just because they're left-handed (the Montoyo Gambit).
**** your asterisk.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,310

Post#130 » by Parataxis » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:30 am

hyper316 wrote:
Parataxis wrote:
hyper316 wrote:

SS Bichette (R)
CF Nimmo (L)
1B Valdy (R)
RF Springer (R)
C Kirk (R)
DH Janssen/Moreno (R)
3B Chapman (R)
LF Gurriel (R)
2B Espinal (R)

Still righty heavy

Well, yeah. Having one left hander and 8 right handers will always make you righty heavy, no matter where he bats (I'd switch up Springer and Bo, personally).

But also, we've never had problems hitting righty pitching, so it's not a major concern. I'd rather have good righthanders than put a less-good lefty in there just to have another lefty.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,592

Post#131 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:09 am

holding judgement till we sign an outfielder .. but woulda been nice to grab 2 relievers from seattle
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,718

Post#132 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:28 am

Schad wrote:Being righty-heavy is totally fine. Our righties hit righties extremely well (the best RHH vs RHP performance in baseball, and we were 3rd in MLB in hitting against righties overall), and the last thing you want to do is shoehorn in lesser hitters just because they're left-handed (the Montoyo Gambit).

Mr. Burns did it first.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
hyper316
RealGM

Post#133 » by hyper316 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:37 pm

Parataxis wrote:
hyper316 wrote:
Parataxis wrote:

SS Bichette (R)
CF Nimmo (L)
1B Valdy (R)
RF Springer (R)
C Kirk (R)
DH Janssen/Moreno (R)
3B Chapman (R)
LF Gurriel (R)
2B Espinal (R)

Still righty heavy

Well, yeah. Having one left hander and 8 right handers will always make you righty heavy, no matter where he bats (I'd switch up Springer and Bo, personally).

But also, we've never had problems hitting righty pitching, so it's not a major concern. I'd rather have good righthanders than put a less-good lefty in there just to have another lefty.

I recall Jays having the highest batting average is AL East, so hitting is fine.

I don't have stats to back this up, but I think having an all righty batting lineup would make the opposing manager less inclined to replace starting and reliever pitchers because of match up (eg Schneider pulling Gausman early for Mayza for matchup). In game may not matter too much, but a series means pitching availability in following games
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,955

Post#134 » by Duffman100 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:11 pm

Yikes the return for Hunter Renfroe was brutal.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays