Moderator: JaysRule15

Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,250

Re: Breaking: Varsho in, Moreno, Gurriel out 

Post#1001 » by Mehar » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:15 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Lourdes can have all the hot streaks he wants every season but he’s still gonna end up as the one dimensional mediocre player he always is in the end.

One Dimensional mediocre player is a definition that fits Varsho perfectly actually, with his beyond atrocious production at the plate ever since he arrived in Toronto.

Lourdes can only dream of being as valuable as Varsho.

A baseball player is still expected to come to the plate 4/5 times a game. All his supposed great "value" he provides according to you is reduced when he is absolutely garbage at the plate.

Varsho based on his plate appearances, is one of the worst hitting regular players in all of MLB since the start of 2022. His atrocious production has continued through the first 9 games. I presume you can read baseball data. Take a good look at Varsho's offensive numbers.

Lourdes would be relegated to the bench, if he was atrocious offensively like Varsho. The time may come if Varsho remains horrible with the bat, that you strictly use him for late inning defense like Bradley Zimmer.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#1002 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:17 am

Read on Twitter
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#1003 » by Mehar » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:23 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

You called Kirk a top 5/top 10 Catcher. You should post his numbers also. Good way to change the conversation from Gurriel, and deflect from the atrocious numbers of your hero Varsho and Fat Kirk.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,580

Post#1004 » by bluerap23 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:21 am

Fact remains: we traded one flawed OF for another flawed OF and threw in our best prospect (trade asset).
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#1005 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:30 pm

Read on Twitter

For the sad fans of that overrated top 35 catcher.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,231

Post#1006 » by Madvillainy2004 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:18 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

If I was a casual fan I legit would've thought we traded like a Aldey Rutschman level star with the way Moreno is talked about lmao
Mehar
Analyst

Post#1007 » by Mehar » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:48 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

If you are calling Moreno overrated, who was Number 1 in Defensive WAR as a Rookie and won the Gold Glove also last year, what do you call Varsho who is basically Bradley Zimmer 2.0? Varsho is beyond terrible at the plate, and one of the worst hitters in all of MLB based on his plate appearances since April 2023.

Right now, he is hitting an atrocious .133, and Kirk (who you called a Top 5 Catcher to Top 10 Catcher) is hitting worse than Moreno right now at .167, while even struggling with his throws. Granted it has been only 10 Games. Both Varsho and Kirk are hitting worse than Moreno right now, who also struggled the first week.

It is funny how you fail to mention the garbage numbers of Varsho and Kirk, but trash Moreno? Maybe because you do not want to look like a fool calling Varsho one of the most valuable Outfielders in MLB, and Kirk a top 5/top 10 Catcher which is laughable. When it was mentioned how Gurriel was off to a great start and the NL Player of the Week you pivoted the discussion to Moreno, and downplayed any success of Gurriel. Gurriel and Moreno are doing their thing in Arizona, but this team expects a lot more from Fat Kirk and Bradley Zimmer 2.0, who have been atrocious the first 10 Games of 2024.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,787
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#1008 » by Boogie! » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:10 am

Games like today make me wonder why people are so obsessed with one dimensional defenders. Schneider is probably a **** defender compared to varsho, but he drove in 2 runs in a clutch scenario in a post to on where varsho would surely have choked… I still don’t know why people value defense over offense especially in an outfield position like left field… you have to come up to bat 3-5 times a game, while defensively how often is the ball hit to left field, especially at a point where it actually affects the outcome of the game? I mean if you have Bowden Francis out there throwing batting practice, what good is a good glove left fielder?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#1009 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:32 am

Boogie! wrote:Games like today make me wonder why people are so obsessed with one dimensional defenders. Schneider is probably a **** defender compared to varsho, but he drove in 2 runs in a clutch scenario in a post to on where varsho would surely have choked… I still don’t know why people value defense over offense especially in an outfield position like left field… you have to come up to bat 3-5 times a game, while defensively how often is the ball hit to left field, especially at a point where it actually affects the outcome of the game? I mean if you have Bowden Francis out there throwing batting practice, what good is a good glove left fielder?

Watch game 2 of the 2022 WC series again if you want to see the value of defense in baseball.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#1010 » by Mehar » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:33 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:Games like today make me wonder why people are so obsessed with one dimensional defenders. Schneider is probably a **** defender compared to varsho, but he drove in 2 runs in a clutch scenario in a post to on where varsho would surely have choked… I still don’t know why people value defense over offense especially in an outfield position like left field… you have to come up to bat 3-5 times a game, while defensively how often is the ball hit to left field, especially at a point where it actually affects the outcome of the game? I mean if you have Bowden Francis out there throwing batting practice, what good is a good glove left fielder?

Watch game 2 of the 2022 WC series again if you want to see the value of defense in baseball.

You are talking about a scrub like Tapia who is not even on a MLB roster right now and spent time with 3 teams last year, along in the Minor Leagues. That scrub was only playing in Game 2 of the 2022 WC Series because Gurriel was unfortunately hurt. However, Atkins that thought Scrub Tapia deserved 411 AT Bats in 2022, which was a joke.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,906

Post#1011 » by Michael Bradley » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:27 pm

Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

You are talking about a scrub like Tapia who is not even on a MLB roster right now and spent time with 3 teams last year, along in the Minor Leagues. That scrub was only playing in Game 2 of the 2022 WC Series because Gurriel was unfortunately hurt. However, Atkins that thought Scrub Tapia deserved 411 AT Bats in 2022, which was a joke.

It was worse than that. Merrifield started in LF but got hit by a pitch and had to leave the game when the Jays were up 8-1. All the Jays had to do was hold a 7 run lead over 4 innings, so they really just needed their best defensive players on the field at that point. So naturally, Schneider subs in Tapia (who can't field or hit) rather than JBJ whose only skill at that point was playing defense. Tapia proceeds to miss a ball or two in the outfield that JBJ easily would have gotten to, and the rest is history. That game was just a comedy of errors by John Schneider, but that decision in particular was horrendous. They literally subbed in a guy that they immediately non-tendered weeks later in a do or die game.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,580

Post#1012 » by bluerap23 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:51 pm

Mehar wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

If you are calling Moreno overrated, who was Number 1 in Defensive WAR as a Rookie and won the Gold Glove also last year, what do you call Varsho who is basically Bradley Zimmer 2.0? Varsho is beyond terrible at the plate, and one of the worst hitters in all of MLB based on his plate appearances since April 2023.

Right now, he is hitting an atrocious .133, and Kirk (who you called a Top 5 Catcher to Top 10 Catcher) is hitting worse than Moreno right now at .167, while even struggling with his throws. Granted it has been only 10 Games. Both Varsho and Kirk are hitting worse than Moreno right now, who also struggled the first week.

It is funny how you fail to mention the garbage numbers of Varsho and Kirk, but trash Moreno? Maybe because you do not want to look like a fool calling Varsho one of the most valuable Outfielders in MLB, and Kirk a top 5/top 10 Catcher which is laughable. When it was mentioned how Gurriel was off to a great start and the NL Player of the Week you pivoted the discussion to Moreno, and downplayed any success of Gurriel. Gurriel and Moreno are doing their thing in Arizona, but this team expects a lot more from Fat Kirk and Bradley Zimmer 2.0, who have been atrocious the first 10 Games of 2024.

That is an interesting comp
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,103

Post#1013 » by ItsDanger » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:45 pm

If you traded a supposedly top 5 prospect at the time, you'd expect a better return.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Post#1014 » by s e n s i » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:43 pm

with 1 HR from varsho, there is a possibility light-hitting gabby moreno does not match that this season. at least his defense is good, though.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,193

Post#1015 » by Hoopstarr » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:52 pm

s e n s i wrote:with 1 HR from varsho, there is a possibility light-hitting gabby moreno does not match that this season. at least his defense is good, though.

Really desperately waited out that first HR to post this eh? Improved his OPS to a massive .547.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Post#1016 » by s e n s i » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:35 pm

oh boy...the LHL (light-hitting lovers) club surely didn't love seeing that slam from varsho...tough scene
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#1017 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:47 pm

Read on Twitter

This is what real power looks like
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,193

Post#1018 » by Hoopstarr » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:18 pm

s e n s i wrote:oh boy...the LHL (light-hitting lovers) club surely didn't love seeing that slam from varsho...tough scene

This is so pathetic :lol: Varsho and Kirk both have low 80s wRC+ since last March.
Mehar
Analyst

Post#1019 » by Mehar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:18 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:
s e n s i wrote:oh boy...the LHL (light-hitting lovers) club surely didn't love seeing that slam from varsho...tough scene

This is so pathetic :lol: Varsho and Kirk both have low 80s wRC+ since last March.

So Varsho hits the occasional homer, and all of his lovers are so excited, when the man has been absolute trash otherwise at the plate since April 2023. First these Varsho apologists were saying we need to compare Kirk vs. Moreno's numbers including Kirk's supposed "Power Bat" over Moreno. When that argument failed since Kirk has been pretty mediocre to awful since the second half of 2022, they switch it up.

So now that Varsho hits a home run, his lovers are saying that Moreno is a "Light Hitter" with no real power like Varsho. While they say Kirk is Miles better than Moreno, and a "Top 5 to Top 10 Catcher", when the numbers say otherwise about Fat Kirk.

Gurriel has demonstrated much more "Real Power" than Varsho since last year. That being said, Varsho and Kirk's numbers make you want to vomit. I do hope they turn it around though, but it is laughable to get excited over an occasional homer by Varsho, when he has been trash otherwise. Give me a guy with with a much higher OPS, SLG, BA, On Base Percentage, than a guy like Varsho who hits an occasional homer; but is a below average hitter who strikes out a tonne also.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,602

Post#1020 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:20 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is what real power looks like

Arizona frantically calling us to see if we want to trade back.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays