Jays vs Twins - May 26 to 28, 2023

Moderator: JaysRule15

Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,235

Re: Jays vs Twins - May 26 to 28, 2023 

Post#41 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sat May 27, 2023 8:36 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:I can't believe we couldn't try for like Bryan Reynolds instead of Varsho for Gabe.

I would imagine they did.

Yeah I guess Pitt liked him too much. Maybe it said more about Gabes value that he couldn't fetch us more. I'm not ready to throw Varsho out just yet but the start has been uh not good.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,395

Post#42 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat May 27, 2023 8:38 pm

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:I can't believe we couldn't try for like Bryan Reynolds instead of Varsho for Gabe.

I would imagine they did.

Yeah I guess Pitt liked him too much. Maybe it said more about Gabes value that he couldn't fetch us more. I'm not ready to throw Varsho out just yet but the start has been uh not good.

Moreno has a 44 wRC+ vs. RHP even this year, so there are still major questions about his bat.

Varsho will probably get back at least to what he was in 2021/2022 in time (which is a league average bat with high level OF defense), but it's sure rough right now.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,452

Post#43 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat May 27, 2023 8:38 pm

Someone should tell the Jays bullpen that batting practice happens before the game starts, not late in the game.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach

Post#44 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sat May 27, 2023 8:53 pm

Lol nice homer Varsho
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach

Post#45 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sat May 27, 2023 8:54 pm

Tying run at the plate with nobody out not sure how that happened.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#46 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat May 27, 2023 9:04 pm

Madvillainy2004 wrote:Tying run at the plate with nobody out not sure how that happened.

Didn't matter, Vlad's timing is WAY off.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach

Post#47 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sat May 27, 2023 9:06 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:Tying run at the plate with nobody out not sure how that happened.

He looked so locked in the first 10 or so games and hasn't had it since. Not sure what's up with him (can be said about half the roster right now).
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#48 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat May 27, 2023 9:11 pm

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

He looked so locked in the first 10 or so games and hasn't had it since. Not sure what's up with him (can be said about half the roster right now).

149 wRC+ in April, 111 wRC+ in May (although worse after today's game). It's just a pretty bad slump, he had similar ones last year too in May and September so I'm sure he'll turn it around eventually.

It does not look like he's going to get back to what he was in 2021 though.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,605

Post#49 » by Asianiac_24 » Sat May 27, 2023 10:03 pm

Look on the bright side, at least the loss isn’t against AL East!
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,865

Post#50 » by Hottie McShotty » Sat May 27, 2023 10:21 pm

Just wanted to mention that Gurriel Jr. is currently on a hit streak of 17 games and has a chance to extend it today.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#51 » by Hottie McShotty » Sat May 27, 2023 10:27 pm

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

The only plausible reason for this team's performance is a toxic team player or coach. Team morale may be suffering. It seems that at least half of the roster is not putting in their best effort so far and it's costing them. If this team falls below .500 they need to make some changes.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#52 » by Hottie McShotty » Sat May 27, 2023 10:46 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Someone should tell the Jays bullpen that batting practice happens before the game starts, not late in the game.

The bullpen cannot be blamed for this loss. Bassit had a poor performance, conceding 7 earned runs. It's unreasonable to expect the offense to compensate for such a high number of runs allowed.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,787
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#53 » by Boogie! » Sat May 27, 2023 10:57 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Didn't matter, Vlad's timing is WAY off.

149 wRC+ in April, 111 wRC+ in May (although worse after today's game). It's just a pretty bad slump, he had similar ones last year too in May and September so I'm sure he'll turn it around eventually.

I've been saying this for a while only to constantly be dismissed by you. This was the point I was making with guerrero all along. Kind of disappointing considering all the hype around him. He just doesn't look like the same level of threat as guys like judge who mash mistake after mistake. Vladdy seems so lost at times. Not what one would expect f4om a generational hitter who's now in his 5th season.

He'll probably still have decent production somewhere around the 800+ ops mark with 20-30 Homer's and 90ish rbis, which is still very good.... but I mean he's not carrying the offense like he was supposed to. His lack of home run power behind bichette is also alarming.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#54 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat May 27, 2023 11:33 pm

Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:

I've been saying this for a while only to constantly be dismissed by you. This was the point I was making with guerrero all along. Kind of disappointing considering all the hype around him. He just doesn't look like the same level of threat as guys like judge who mash mistake after mistake. Vladdy seems so lost at times. Not what one would expect f4om a generational hitter who's now in his 5th season.

He'll probably still have decent production somewhere around the 800+ ops mark with 20-30 Homer's and 90ish rbis, which is still very good.... but I mean he's not carrying the offense like he was supposed to. His lack of home run power behind bichette is also alarming.

Yeah, except that most certainly is not the point you’ve been making all along. In fact, you had no real point other than bashing the team’s best hitter (which he still almost certainly is despite not getting back to 2021 levels) for apparently being unclutch or not hitting enough HRs or whatever other stuff you were spewing as he hit line drive rockets all over the field in April.

Vlad has been in the majors for four years now and in only one season he looked like a generational, superstar level hitter (which coincided with him playing a bunch of games in minor league parks). This doesn’t mean he isn’t still a very, very good hitter but if your expectations are for him to be Aaron Judge, that just simply isn’t fair at this point. He doesn’t have that kind of power.

He’s been in a brutal timing slump for about a week now but that too will inevitably pass. It always has with him.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#55 » by Hottie McShotty » Sat May 27, 2023 11:57 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:149 wRC+ in April, 111 wRC+ in May (although worse after today's game). It's just a pretty bad slump, he had similar ones last year too in May and September so I'm sure he'll turn it around eventually.

Yeah, except that most certainly is not the point you’ve been making all along. In fact, you had no real point other than bashing the team’s best hitter (which he still almost certainly is despite not getting back to 2021 levels) for apparently being unclutch or not hitting enough HRs or whatever other stuff you were spewing as he hit line drive rockets all over the field in April.

Vlad has been in the majors for four years now and in only one season he looked like a generational, superstar level hitter (which coincided with him playing a bunch of games in minor league parks). This doesn’t mean he isn’t still a very, very good hitter but if your expectations are for him to be Aaron Judge, that just simply isn’t fair at this point. He doesn’t have that kind of power.

He’s been in a brutal timing slump for about a week now but that too will inevitably pass. It always has with him.

Do you believe that criticism towards Vladdy's performance is unjustified? He was once considered by pundits a generational player who would lead the team for years to come. However, many argue that he hasn't lived up to expectations so far. My concern is that if we offer him a large contract without caution, we may regret it for years to come. It appears that Bichette is the superior player, and it would be wise for us to secure a long-term contract with him.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,440

Post#56 » by Ranger One » Sun May 28, 2023 12:12 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

Do you believe that criticism towards Vladdy's performance is unjustified? He was once considered by pundits a generational player who would lead the team for years to come. However, many argue that he hasn't lived up to expectations so far. My concern is that if we offer him a large contract without caution, we may regret it for years to come. It appears that Bichette is the superior player, and it would be wise for us to secure a long-term contract with him.

Yeah i dont get why the criticism against him is so easily dismissed. For someone looking for a $500 million contract, he needs to be MUCH MUCH better than .280 with 30 HRs and 90 RBIs. Guys with those numbers are a dime a dozen these days,
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#57 » by Boogie! » Sun May 28, 2023 12:16 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:149 wRC+ in April, 111 wRC+ in May (although worse after today's game). It's just a pretty bad slump, he had similar ones last year too in May and September so I'm sure he'll turn it around eventually.

You literally just repeated what I said verbatim and but then somehow interpreted my purpose was for no other reason than to bash the teams best hitter.... when I repeatedly said in previous posts that he was my favourite player on the team and I watch most games to see him hit and have been disappointed with his lack of production because I've noticed flaws in his game that don't coincide with generational talent...

So when you say it, its some sort of altruistic logical statement but when I say it somehow the obvious nterpretation, despite my multiple disclaimers, is that I'm bashing him for no reason. Sounds like gaslighting narcissistic bs.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#58 » by Boogie! » Sun May 28, 2023 12:25 am

Ranger One wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Yeah, except that most certainly is not the point you’ve been making all along. In fact, you had no real point other than bashing the team’s best hitter (which he still almost certainly is despite not getting back to 2021 levels) for apparently being unclutch or not hitting enough HRs or whatever other stuff you were spewing as he hit line drive rockets all over the field in April.

Yeah i dont get why the criticism against him is so easily dismissed. For someone looking for a $500 million contract, he needs to be MUCH MUCH better than .280 with 30 HRs and 90 RBIs. Guys with those numbers are a dime a dozen these days,

I don't even care about the contract situation, to me it's just one of those situations where it seemed like we had the savior, and were gonna be watching another miguel Cabrera for years to come, but instead he's like maybe a tino martinez type. Which again - I feel like I have to disclaimer because for some reason any criticism towards him gets so misinterpreted - there's nothing wrong with that, he's gonna be a good player, but not quite the great generational hitter he was touted as being coming into the league.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,272

Post#59 » by Mehar » Sun May 28, 2023 12:27 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:I would imagine they did.

Moreno has a 44 wRC+ vs. RHP even this year, so there are still major questions about his bat.

Varsho will probably get back at least to what he was in 2021/2022 in time (which is a league average bat with high level OF defense), but it's sure rough right now.

Pittsburgh did not have interest in a Moreno for Reynolds deal, because their top prospect is a switch hitting catcher Endy Rodriguez. If they were going to trade Reynolds, they wanted elite pitching prospects with years of control as part of a package for Reynolds. No team met their demands, so they decided to keep Reynolds for now.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#60 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun May 28, 2023 12:29 am

Boogie! wrote:
Ranger One wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:

I don't even care about the contract situation, to me it's just one of those situations where it seemed like we had the savior, and were gonna be watching another miguel Cabrera for years to come, but instead he's like maybe a tino martinez type. Which again - I feel like I have to disclaimer because for some reason any criticism towards him gets so misinterpreted - there's nothing wrong with that, he's gonna be a good player, but not quite the great generational hitter he was touted as being coming into the league.

I appreciate your posts and critiques! Don't worry about a few people misinterpreting your words, your comments and posts are perfectly fine. I enjoy reading what you have to say, Boogie! Keep doing it.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays